ADVERTISEMENT

Myers to Missouri

KidNittany

Jun 26, 2012
Tigers round out their line-up, with the heavyweight transfer.

Line-up looks like

125- McGhee
133- Eirmann
141- Manley
149- Mayes
157- Lavallee
165- Lewis
174- Wisman/T.Miklus
184- W.Miklus
197- Cox
HWT- Myers

Looks like a top five lineup

Then who among these teams drop out of top 5 year end?

PSU
Iowa
OSU
tOSU
VT

The obvious choice may be VT, but I think they may be a little stronger than Mizzou next year. NC St and ASU are building too, but probably a couple years away.

Was this Tognetti's vaunted HWT transfer to the Pokes, that has yet to materialize?

IIRC this is the 4th or 5th guy leaving Henson this offseason, including Pat Duggan to Lock Haven.

PSU
Iowa
OSU
tOSU
VT

The obvious choice may be VT, but I think they may be a little stronger than Mizzou next year. NC St and ASU are building too, but probably a couple years away.
Tough call, so many dynamics at work...and any guesses about NCAA Tournament finishes would be pure speculation. Missouri does have all 4 AA's back, and all but 3.5 points from NCAA's, to go along with their 6th Place finish.

Was this Tognetti's vaunted HWT transfer to the Pokes, that has yet to materialize?

IIRC this is the 4th or 5th guy leaving Henson this offseason, including Pat Duggan to Lock Haven.
I don't think it is the same person being rumored on the OSU board. I had the impression it was a transfer from another division and not D1, and that he was from the plains.

Tough call, so many dynamics at work...and any guesses about NCAA Tournament finishes would be pure speculation. Missouri does have all 4 AA's back, and all but 3.5 points from NCAA's, to go along with their 6th Place finish.
Yes, a tough call. Every team has positives and negatives, and will be relying on freshmen (true and RS) to help them up the ladder. Whichever team can get the most out of their young guys will probably sit on top. Impossible to say on June 1st. I feel very good about Suriano and Joseph, as Iowa does about Kemerer and Marinelli, as OSU does about Picininni (sp), etc, etc. I guess if I had to guess today, I pick tOSU as the most likely to drop out of top 5. There is still some uncertainly over Snyder's future, and if he bails on the problem after winning a gold medal, then I see Ryan redshirting Martin and regrouping for 2017-18.

PSU
Iowa
OSU
tOSU
VT

VT comes to mind, but I think they probably stay. Blees is a bit of a drop from Brascetta, although they bring everyone else back. Also the Dance weight "issue" could cause the lineup to be less optimized.

Can see Iowa dropping out of the top 5. Lot's of Q's for them next year.

Next year will be a very tight race so I'm looking forward to another great finish. We are in a good spot once again.

I have a hard time seeing Iowa dropping out of the top 5 as they return 3 finalists, 5 AA and 78.5 points total. Penn State has just as many questions if not more than Iowa right now, returning 3 finalists, 1 other AA if you count Gulibon and 73 points.

I have a hard time seeing Iowa dropping out of the top 5 as they return 3 finalists, 5 AA and 78.5 points total. Penn State has just as many questions if not more than Iowa right now, returning 3 finalists, 1 other AA if you count Gulibon and 73 points.

Just my opinion. Seems weird to see Iowa out of the top five as well.

Things going well for Iowa: Gilman, Clark and Sorenson are about as much of locks to be finalists as anyone. A healthy Stoll is at least an AA in my opinion and I could see him finishing top 4 if the cards fall right. Brooks brought home the AA and should be able to repeat.

Questions: Will Meyer be able to improve or at least repeat, will Kemerer bring it home up a weight, and 41/65/97 are huge question marks. Does Marinelli go in or not, if so how will he do in March, if not can Paddock do enough damage, etc. Will Stoll return to full form.

Things going well for PSU: Zain and Nolf are basically title locks at this point. Nickal will be right there again and should at least be top four (likely top 1).

Questions: Will Suriano perform at a high level out of the gate, will Cortez, Gulibon, whoever is at 65 (Morelli or does Hall come in, is Hal at 74 etc), McCutcheon/Rasheed/Cassar/(Nickal?) or whatever combination be able to compete at 84/97, will Nevills return healthy and be able to finish at AA.

I think Iowa and PSU have the same amount of "safe bets" but PSU's locks have a higher floor due to bonus. PSU's "questions" (who are also very talented) also have a higher floor and ceiling than Iowa's IMO.

Edit: Total brainfart on Joseph. He will also be an AA contender at least

Last edited:
I personally would not make a bet that Iowa is even out of the top-3 next year.

I personally would not make a bet that Iowa is even out of the top-3 next year.
haha, agree. Next year, Iowa will be primed for a title run, as will we. I think those two teams finish 1 and 2 (with PSU on top of course!!). It really will come down to Suriano/Joseph vs Kemerer/Marinelli at nationals. Don't mean to put the pressure on freshmen, but whichever duo can rise higher up may be the ones who bring the title home. The two teams are that evenly matched.

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
haha, agree. Next year, Iowa will be primed for a title run, as will we. I think those two teams finish 1 and 2 (with PSU on top of course!!). It really will come down to Suriano/Joseph vs Kemerer/Marinelli at nationals. Don't mean to put the pressure on freshmen, but whichever duo can rise higher up may be the ones who bring the title home. The two teams are that evenly matched.
PSU will likely have a significant advantage in bonus pts.

Not sure Missouri has the tournament team to win a national title next year, but in terms of dual strength, I would be very surprised if the Dual Bowl Series championship dual isn't Penn State at Missouri. (remember, non-B1G teams host this coming season)

Reactions: jtothemfp
A question that won't be answered, maybe until Midlands...will Marinelli go as a true freshman, or redshirt. TnT normally RS their guys, but many in their fan base think it's all-in for 2016-17, with Gilman, Clark, Meyer, and Brooks all seniors.

A question that won't be answered, maybe until Midlands...will Marinelli go as a true freshman, or redshirt. TnT normally RS their guys, but many in their fan base think it's all-in for 2016-17, with Gilman, Clark, Meyer, and Brooks all seniors.
I know Brands has never started a true frosh, but I think he does next year if he believes he can AA, and if he believes his points are needed for a team title.. That's a minimum of 7 points at nationals for 8th place. Normally, I'd be on the other side of the argument, but there isn't much reason to redshirt him. Iowa will be down in 2017-18, so to redshirt him this year only to have him start in a down year seems counter productive.

Speaking of Tognetti, he has a funny post on the Flo board (video of Nickal - Zahid V) saying that Cael can't coach.

Denial runs very deep in some parts.

Just my opinion. Seems weird to see Iowa out of the top five as well.

Things going well for Iowa: Gilman, Clark and Sorenson are about as much of locks to be finalists as anyone. A healthy Stoll is at least an AA in my opinion and I could see him finishing top 4 if the cards fall right. Brooks brought home the AA and should be able to repeat.

Questions: Will Meyer be able to improve or at least repeat, will Kemerer bring it home up a weight, and 41/65/97 are huge question marks. Does Marinelli go in or not, if so how will he do in March, if not can Paddock do enough damage, etc. Will Stoll return to full form.

Things going well for PSU: Zain and Nolf are basically title locks at this point. Nickal will be right there again and should at least be top four (likely top 1).

Questions: Will Suriano perform at a high level out of the gate, will Cortez, Gulibon, whoever is at 65 (Morelli or does Hall come in, is Hal at 74 etc), McCutcheon/Rasheed/Cassar/(Nickal?) or whatever combination be able to compete at 84/97, will Nevills return healthy and be able to finish at AA.

I think Iowa and PSU have the same amount of "safe bets" but PSU's locks have a higher floor due to bonus. PSU's "questions" (who are also very talented) also have a higher floor and ceiling than Iowa's IMO.

Edit: Total brainfart on Joseph. He will also be an AA contender at least

Is Sorenson staying at 149?

Speaking of Tognetti, he has a funny post on the Flo board (video of Nickal - Zahid V) saying that Cael can't coach.

Denial runs very deep in some parts.
I thought that was one of my better post, thank you. If he could coach then David Taylor would be going to the Olympics. J Smith would of made him a gold medal winner.

Last edited:
I thought that was one of my better post, thank you. If he could coach then David Taylor would be going to the Olympics. J Smith would of made him a gold metal winner.
I must have missed the Poke in the 2016 Olympics.

Also missed the Poke who won gold in London in 2012.

I thought that was one of my better post, thank you. If he could coach then David Taylor would be going to the Olympics. J Smith would of made him a gold metal winner.

But DT doesn't want a gold metal, he'd rather have a gold medal. Who is the last gold MEDAL winner Smith has produced? In fact has he coached ANY?

Not sure Missouri has the tournament team to win a national title next year, but in terms of dual strength, I would be very surprised if the Dual Bowl Series championship dual isn't Penn State at Missouri. (remember, non-B1G teams host this coming season)

SHP, you gonna be at the Keystone Classic again this year? I might have to meet up with you if so

I'm glad Cael can't coach. I'll take his coaching inability along with another 4 out of 5 titles. Or maybe he can be extra bad and go for the next 5 out of 5...

Edit: before a fact checker gets on me, I was including his first year. 5 out of 7 didn't have the same ring to it.

Last edited:
SHP, you gonna be at the Keystone Classic again this year? I might have to meet up with you if so
It's always a distinct possibility. Combining the Navy Classic with the Keystone on a single trip enables me to hit roughly 1/4 of the country in a single weekend. (believe it or not, the only two Division I programs I missed last year were Davidson and Grand Canyon...and that doesn't include the NCAA Championships, although the NCAA Championships wouldn't have helped me in either case)

I'd say yes. They have Kemerer ready to take over 157, and I think they score less points if BS were to move up. Kemerer is better than anyone that would take over 149 if BS moved.

For what it is worth, maybe nothing, both Sorenson and Kemerer are at 70kg (154lb) for University Nationals this weekend.

Reactions: jtothemfp and bdv
For what it is worth, maybe nothing, both Sorenson and Kemerer are at 70kg (154lb) for University Nationals this weekend.
Good catch, but it makes sense. 65kg is 143.3 pounds, and 70kg is 154.3. May be too big a pull for Sorensen (65kg) or Kemerer. Wrestling at 149 all last year, wonder how Kemerer will do at 157?

Good catch, but it makes sense. 65kg is 143.3 pounds, and 70kg is 154.3. May be too big a pull for Sorensen (65kg) or Kemerer. Wrestling at 149 all last year, wonder how Kemerer will do at 157?
Nolf will crush him at 157....Just like in the room at Young Guns....Bonus him but i am sure he has learned the Iowa stall by now. For real....Sad to say but very true !!!!

Nolf will crush him at 157....Just like in the room at Young Guns....Bonus him but i am sure he has learned the Iowa stall by now. For real....Sad to say but very true !!!!

Do you also attend practices at Young Guns? You are at a lot of workouts, wish I had that kind of time.

Sad to say bvut very true: Spyker did not check Kemerer's match list on Track before making such an assertion.

Reactions: Cali_Nittany

That stalling style was in full effect last year for Kemerer as 19 of his 23 wins came by bonus including a 16-3 major decision over AA Geo Martinez. Sad but true.

Reactions: jtothemfp
That stalling style was in full effect last year for Kemerer as 19 of his 23 wins came by bonus including a 16-3 major decision over AA Geo Martinez. Sad but true.
No worries, he was just a true frosh. Still plenty of time for him to learn to wrestle the "Iowa Style." Cant undo all those 'bad' HS habits in just a year.;)

Reactions: Pennstate1985
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT