ADVERTISEMENT

National Emergency declared in Texas

JustinTyme

Aug 23, 2020
Right here, Right Now
bwi.forums.rivals.com
Buddy of mine posted pictures of what he estimated as 8 to 10 inches of snow in Austin. They had lost power but has a generator on his ranch. Apparently got down into the teens overnight in many part of TX and power outages are pretty prevalent.

2nd major snowstorm for him in 2021 already. Kind of crazy.

Reactions: NedFromYork
Weather.com says it’s currently 10, which is brutal for down there. Plus, they are to get another shot Wednesday with freezing rain. Have a cousin just north of Austin and college roomy in Houston. Will check on them today and advise on how to weather proof for extended power outages.

Buddy of mine posted pictures of what he estimated as 8 to 10 inches of snow in Austin. They had lost power but has a generator on his ranch. Apparently got down into the teens overnight in many part of TX and power outages are pretty prevalent.

Lewisville, TX (North of Dallas) has at least 4" and the power has been off and on since 5 am.

North suburb of Austin here. 7 degrees right now (prior cold that I remember was 17 in 2011). I spent the last few days building "heat" boxes for all of my outside faucets. They are all built into the slab so no way to turn them off without turn all water off. Also added heater tape to all my attic hot/cold water pipes. Have a portable heater in my well house shed to keep those pipes open. Outside gardens are toast. Did a big harvest two days ago of my lettuce, spinach and collard greens Cabbage is all froze, but it is staying there for now. We got 8 inches last night of beautiful powder. Drifting 2 feet against the north and east walls. Crazy. No shovel needed. Just used a rake and broom to move it away from the outside AC units and doors. Biggest problem is that we have 1/4 inch ice under all of that snow, even in the grass. Many tree limbs down. Rolling blackouts because of the high energy use.

My ranch is 35 miles east of me, and it took me 1 hour to make the trip yesterday to feed/water the animals. Usually a 30 minute trip. Not certain I can get there today, but the animals all have heated tanks and plenty of food and shelter from the north wind.

Second huge snowstorm of the year. And I moved away from PA to get away from this crap!! :)

North suburb of Austin here. 7 degrees right now (prior cold that I remember was 17 in 2011). I spent the last few days building "heat" boxes for all of my outside faucets. They are all built into the slab so no way to turn them off without turn all water off. Also added heater tape to all my attic hot/cold water pipes. Have a portable heater in my well house shed to keep those pipes open. Outside gardens are toast. Did a big harvest two days ago of my lettuce, spinach and collard greens Cabbage is all froze, but it is staying there for now. We got 8 inches last night of beautiful powder. Drifting 2 feet against the north and east walls. Crazy. No shovel needed. Just used a rake and broom to move it away from the outside AC units and doors. Biggest problem is that we have 1/4 inch ice under all of that snow, even in the grass. Many tree limbs down. Rolling blackouts because of the high energy use.

My ranch is 35 miles east of me, and it took me 1 hour to make the trip yesterday to feed/water the animals. Usually a 30 minute trip. Not certain I can get there today, but the animals all have heated tanks and plenty of food and shelter from the north wind.

Second huge snowstorm of the year. And I moved away from PA to get away from this crap!! :)
Stay safe brother.

Texas was always PO'd when they lost their designation as the largest land state after Alaska was brought in. Unfortunately for them they are experiencing Alaska type weather.

Reactions: BUFFALO LION
Wife just said her suppliers down there are shut down because their energy allocations aren’t sufficient to run their corrugated mills.

And if the board wants to send positive thoughts our way we’ll gladly accept them. We’ve been getting hammered just off the lake in Chicago, and it hasn’t gotten above 20 in a couple weeks, meaning nothing has melted. We have a low-pitch roof and I’m getting nervous with another 10”+ (I think it’ll be 15”) on the way in the next 24 hours. Too dangerous to walk on the roof to clear it, and too flat for raking.

I’ve been here 17 winters now, and this is the first one where we’ve had true lake effect where they say snow showers under 1” and we get 3-4” with flakes for 18 hours straight.

I lived in Austin for a couple of years. No one down there can drive for shit in cold/ice. People don’t slow down and they just slide off the roads. We got like half an inch while I was there and the world just about ended.

I lived in Austin for a couple of years. No one down there can drive for shit in cold/ice. People don’t slow down and they just slide off the roads. We got like half an inch while I was there and the world just about ended.

ehhh they don't do that well back here with snow and ice either. No one slows down, especially the aholes in SUV's and trucks.

The bigger problem is they (TxDOT) don't know how to handle it on the roads. Unless things have changed a lot from when I lived there. And Dallas has to have more elevated highways than any other city I've ever been in, with MAYBE Atlanta being the exception.

I live in Fort Worth.....minus 8 wind chill.....about 5 inches of powder and sunny at the moment. Metro DFW has had rolling blackouts with some lasting 5 hours . The weather on Tuesday / Wednesday is supposed to be worse as freezing rain mixed in with some snow is on its way. Next week we will be back in the 60’s....crazy extremes !

Reactions: BBrown
I live in Fort Worth.....minus 8 wind chill.....about 5 inches of powder and sunny at the moment. Metro DFW has had rolling blackouts with some lasting 5 hours . The weather on Tuesday / Wednesday is supposed to be worse as freezing rain mixed in with some snow is on its way. Next week we will be back in the 60’s....crazy extremes !

I've heard one of the bigger issues with "rolling blackouts" is that people forget or don't know to turn things off. So that when the power comes back on their isn't a huge surge. That might be urban myth but it seems like it would make sense.

One thing I dont' get though is shouldn't the power grid be able to handle it? Ok yea its a snow storm and not common but how is that different than 5+days of over 100º heat?

One thing I dont' get though is shouldn't the power grid be able to handle it? Ok yea its a snow storm and not common but how is that different than 5+days of over 100º heat?
You make an interesting point. Even at its hottest in the summer we never have rolling blackouts. We are ok so far in my area but my daughter who lives in Dallas lost power 2 hours ago.

Wife just said her suppliers down there are shut down because their energy allocations aren’t sufficient to run their corrugated mills.

And if the board wants to send positive thoughts our way we’ll gladly accept them. We’ve been getting hammered just off the lake in Chicago, and it hasn’t gotten above 20 in a couple weeks, meaning nothing has melted. We have a low-pitch roof and I’m getting nervous with another 10”+ (I think it’ll be 15”) on the way in the next 24 hours. Too dangerous to walk on the roof to clear it, and too flat for raking.

I’ve been here 17 winters now, and this is the first one where we’ve had true lake effect where they say snow showers under 1” and we get 3-4” with flakes for 18 hours straight.

Fill socks with rock salt or deicer and toss them up there. You can fish them out of the gutters in the spring. The sun shining on the roof along with the deicer can help melt the snow. Remember, black can absorb until 85% more heat than white (don't ask me how I know that).

Last edited:
You make an interesting point. Even at its hottest in the summer we never have rolling blackouts. We are ok so far in my area but my daughter who lives in Dallas lost power 2 hours ago.

+1. I have family living in Lewisville and Bedford TX and they are going through the rolling black outs now.

Three things on that. One is that most have heat pumps for air/heater, but in super cold, the heat pumps do not work well, and that is why they have a resistive element in the unit (think hairdryer) that turns on. Super inefficient to heat that way (but better than nothing). I believe there is more power draw on that, versus the heat pump on AC days.

Second, everyone is home in the state and cranking their electric. I have my three (upstairs, downstairs, garage) units set for 65 (62 at night), but am thinking many have them at 72.

Lastly, I got notice that all the west Texas wind turbines are shut down. Many frozen over. We get a bit of power from wind that isn't available right now. I bet many wish for a good old fashioned coal factory pumping right now o_O

Fill socks with rock salt or deicer and toss them up there. You can fish them out of the gutters in the spring. The sun shining on the roof along with the deicer can help melt the snow. Remember, back can absorb until 85% more heat than white (don't ask me how I know that).
What type of socks are best, white, argyle, orthopedic or is there a different preference? Don’t ask me why I’m inquiring.😏

Reactions: Fac
Three things on that. One is that most have heat pumps for air/heater, but in super cold, the heat pumps do not work well, and that is why they have a resistive element in the unit (think hairdryer) that turns on. Super inefficient to heat that way (but better than nothing). I believe there is more power draw on that, versus the heat pump on AC days.

Second, everyone is home in the state and cranking their electric. I have my three (upstairs, downstairs, garage) units set for 65 (62 at night), but am thinking many have them at 72.

Lastly, I got notice that all the west Texas wind turbines are shut down. Many frozen over. We get a bit of power from wind that isn't available right now. I bet many wish for a good old fashioned coal factory pumping right now o_O

Completely understand about heat pumps, :mad: I have one here in Bmore and yes the (aux) heat runs a lot when it gets below certain temp.
Good point about everyone being at home.
I read about the wind turbines being frozen over.

Let those faucet's drip.

Fill socks with rock salt or deicer and toss them up there. You can fish them out of the gutters in the spring. The sun shining on the roof along with the deicer can help melt the snow. Remember, black can absorb until 85% more heat than white (don't ask me how I know that).
Too late. 20” or more up there and temp is 6.

Too late. 20” or more up there and temp is 6.

Calcium chloride is good to about -25F. Wet that sock a little and things will start faster. Can always try out a small area and see if it helps after a day or two. Anyways, good luck with whatever you do.

Reactions: Thomas1945
Houston is shut down - temps in the teens. Been without power for 12 hrs. Wish I had a fireplace like I had in PA

We are supposed to get a foot. Looking out over lake erie, it is frozen for as far as I can see (about two miles).

Completely understand about heat pumps, :mad: I have one here in Bmore and yes the (aux) heat runs a lot when it gets below certain temp.
Good point about everyone being at home.
I read about the wind turbines being frozen over.

Let those faucet's drip.
Both SILs in Dallas area (one in Quinlan and the other in Highland Park - and no, you don't want pictures) have frozen over hot water pipes now. They let the cold water drip, but never thought about the hot water. Everyone knows that hot water pipes freeze over faster than cold water pipes, right! Not them, and one is a big shot doctor up there. Guess he never took a physics course before

Both SILs in Dallas area (one in Quinlan and the other in Highland Park - and no, you don't want pictures) have frozen over hot water pipes now. They let the cold water drip, but never thought about the hot water. Everyone knows that hot water pipes freeze over faster than cold water pipes, right! Not them, and one is a big shot doctor up there. Guess he never took a physics course before

There are certain fundamental things you learn growing up in Western PA. One of them is how to deal with power outages in the winter, that you don't even have to take a physics course to know ;)

There are certain fundamental things you learn growing up in Western PA. One of them is how to deal with power outages in the winter, that you don't even have to take a physics course to know ;)
Open the cabinet doors below sinks in non-inside walls that have pipes. Use the gas oven for heat but take care not to overheat and burn the house down.

I bought a ton of these things that cover outside faucets to keep them from freezing.

faucet_cover_x3.jpg

Take care of yourself. I know this type of weather is hard on your animals as well.

Reactions: CentexLion
I thought I saw a video that said that Texas is unique because it has its own power grid. That can’t help the situation.

this sounds like Germany where the solar panels have snow on them and there is no wind. They shut down coal plants and now have a bad winter. Oops.
on their own power grid, that is correct. When the NE's power grid went down, that was a big selling feature. As a result, the majority of disaster recovery computer systems are housed in TX. The thinking was the primary was in a major grid, the secondary being in TX's independent grid.

I had to do due diligence in one near the Austin Airport. It was crazy locked down. I had to go through a secure revolving door to get in. They gave me some "stuff" while I was taking the tour (a jacket, golf balls and some other junk). On the way back out of the revolving door, I got stopped because I weighed five more pounds than when I went in. they had to inventory why.

Take care of yourself. I know this type of weather is hard on your animals as well.
Yeah. Funny, but I worry about the animals more than us. At least mine are in the barns now. Goats never gone into the big barn (they have their own shelters), but I brought them inside. They are going to make a mess of the place until I get there. As long as we have electricity there, they will have unfrozen water. Trying to figure out how to get out there today, or tomorrow at the latest. A snowmobile would be nice now

In northern Texas it is now about 3 degrees with a wind chill of about -15 or so. Problem here is the local power company needs to have rolling blackouts that were supposed to be 30-45 minutes. I have friends in town that are now going on 8 hours of no power is this.
It has required me to be a 24 hour fire tender.
Needless to say I am not sure we are cut out for this.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT