ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA qualifiers announced today, starting 1 pm ET

Let's do some basic math here:

If Rasheed were to stick his first round opponent and then lose out, that's 4 pts.

Morelli rarely gets bonus at all. So to score 4 pts he would need to do one of the following:
- Win his first 2 matches, both likely against seeded wrestlers (better hope neither is Ringer).
- Win his first match, then win 4 consolation matches.

If he loses his first match, he needs to reach the podium to score 4 pts total.

I support Cael's decision. Just pointing out that it's a risk either way.

I think you're looking at it wrong, or at least differently than the PSU staff. There is no question that Rasheed has a higher tourney ceiling, point wise, than Morelli. However, I suspect Morelli got the nod because the staff figured his floor was a little better than Rasheed's, even if only by a couple points.

Reactions: T J
I think you're looking at it wrong, or at least differently than the PSU staff. There is no question that Rasheed has a higher tourney ceiling, point wise, than Morelli. However, I suspect Morelli got the nod because the staff figured his floor was a little better than Rasheed's, even if only by a couple points.
His floor is undoubtedly 0 points. There's a great chance he goes 0-2 at nationals

His floor is undoubtedly 0 points. There's a great chance he goes 0-2 at nationals

Don't agree. I think people have been consistently over-optimistic and drastically over-rated SR's chances of pinning his way through a ranked field at nationals, while at the same time being overly pessimistic regarding GM's ability to beat anyone in that same field, based on actual mat performances this year. SR has not only lost to unranked wrestlers, but he's lost to GM.

Reactions: Hartzie
Way less likely Geno catches fire than SR gets a quick pin or two and some bonus. But there's a reason Cael is the coach and I'm not.
Morelli has the physical tools. Just a big, strong kid, doesn't get tired. Has what it takes to be a hammer. Reminds me of most of the Minnesota kids -- not a top end talent; but physical enough, and mentally tough enough to will victories.

Reactions: NittanyLion84
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT