ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA selection show -- brackets!

El-Jefe

Jul 27, 2012
Nico #3
Conaway #5
Gulibon unseeded -- gets Manley (Missouri) in round 1.
Zain #1
missed Nolf -- Martinez got the #1
Morelli draws #11 Staudenmayer UNC
Nickal #1
Mouse is in the top half with Dean, but I missed his draw
Smack #1 -- Burak #4, Hartmann #5

Well, that went incredibly poorly. Conaway with a brutal draw, would've been better at 6. Jimmy drawn in against Manley. Bo with Epperly/Rogers in a QF. Cutch better off unseeded.

Well, that went incredibly poorly. Conaway with a brutal draw, would've been better at 6. Jimmy drawn in against Manley. Zain with a bye. Bo with Epperly/Rogers in a QF. Cutch better off unseeded.

Yeah, not the best.

Conaway was going to see Taylor at some point, I like his chances, the last time he had him beaten, and nearly won. Jimmy beat Taylor last year after seeing him enough, same goes for Jordan.

Lots of byes and tough 1st rd matches. It's not going to start off with a bang this year.

Lots of byes and tough 1st rd matches. It's not going to start off with a bang this year.
And it isn't for Oklahoma State or Iowa EITHER. Look again.

Everyone has about the same draw this year, not too many gimmes, but again, we're going to score bonus points at more weights than the Cowboys and certainly more than Iowa. Nobody else has enough firepower, although VT is deep and Cornell has 2 certain finalists.

Well, that went incredibly poorly. Conaway with a brutal draw, would've been better at 6. Jimmy drawn in against Manley. Bo with Epperly/Rogers in a QF. Cutch better off unseeded.
Manley can be had.

I don't think Zain could've gotten a clearer path to the finals. Looks like Sorensen gets all of the challenges.

Haven't seen the brackets yet. Each weight has 33 wrestlers. There are 10 pigtails, 1 per weight but there are zero championship byes.

Manley can be had.

I don't think Zain could've gotten a clearer path to the finals. Looks like Sorensen gets all of the challenges.
Match with Manley will likely end 3-2 or something like that for either guy, both keep a solid base and hand right well. Don't think it mattered who Zain drew

Match with Manley will likely end 3-2 or something like that for either guy, both keep a solid base and hand right well. Don't think it mattered who Zain drew
I meant that primarily for bonus for Zain, and to note the difference in his draw vs. Sorensen's.

Do not see any big issues with the draws.
Nico probably has 3 bonus wins to start.
Conaway obviously has tough second round draw. No matter the outcome of that match Jordan will be fine.
Jimmy. If he is wrestling he should get a second Crack at Ashnault in QFs. If he losses early he will need to wrestle hard coming back. It isn't like any of us were figuring Jimmy was in line for a high seed and favorable draw.
Nothing wrong with Zain's nor Jason's draws.
Morelli - no matter the draw just happy the kid is getting a shot. Any points scored at 165 are xtra.
Bo gets a tougher than expected QF, but either Epperly or Rodgers gets a damn near impossible QF.
McCutcheon got a tough draw, but not necessarily unexpected. He will just have to wrestle tough.
Nothing unexpected at 197.
The Lions will be fine.

Reactions: kjb32812
125. I like Nico's side of the bracket.
133. Taylor concerns me more than Brewer for Jordan.
141. I haven't seen Manley this year to comment, but we know Ashnault is a buzz saw if Jimmy gets to him.
149. Looks good for Zeus!:)
157. Looking forward to this bracket.
165. Real tough road for Morelli.
174. BO!!!!!!!!!
184. Hopefully Cutch can get us lots of points in the consi's:( tough seed.
197. Mc is on a mission this year.
Hvy. We need a cricket emoji. :confused:

Brooks gets Brown/Dudley winner in quarters. Could be fun. Helps balance Cutch's dilemma.

Burak has Hartmann in quarters - good deal for PSU if Morgan is focused. If Hartmann wins, Iowa loses. If Burak wins Morgan should make finals.

125: Best possible scenario, and the rematch this time ain't in Blacksburg, and this time Nico isn't going to slip during a shot.

133: It should be noted that the second time Gulibon met Taylor he beat him, and the second time Jordan met Taylor, he nearly beat him also. You see Taylor enough, you figure out what not to do.

141: Nobody said it was easy, but the whole class is wide open, even Heil isn't a lock. Ashnault isn't impossible to beat, but if you lose, you go down to consy's and you start winning again.

149: You could not have asked for a better draw. Anyone complaining is insane.

157: The bottom line is we are in the opposite bracket from Imar. Wrestle as we should and we are in the finals. This includes Smith. Keeping it close, is not the same thing as being able to win. Ask Derek St John.

165: The best possible draw for Geno: No chance of meeting Dieringer, and that first round match is not unwinnable, and neither is the next win if we win the first one. If not, go down to consys and get working again.

174: Cannot conceive of a better situation. 1 seed, and everyone else has it much harder than we do in this bracket. Only possible kid we MIGHT not beat, we won't see until Saturday night.

184: Here, we have a bit of a bad break. With that said, damage can be done in the consy bracket, and points can be scored if we wrestle like we did last year at this weight. And why wouldn't we?

197: The only possible problem is if Hartmann beats Burak. Not worried about anything else in our way until the finals, and Cox is not a lock either. Even if Hartmann beats Burak, I think we learned enough last year to wrestle him correctly and win this year.

Hwy: The concern is not Stoll: He can only go so far on one leg. The concern is Marsden, but he's done when he gets to semis. As long as he doesn't score a ton of bonus for them, we're alright.

We're ready, and we have the mindset and the experience, and the coaching. Do what we came to do, and the trophy is ours, barring some kind of miracle freak run by the Cowboys or Iowa, and neither is likely, outside of Dieringer of course. They don't have any other point machines.

We have 4 of those.

If memory serves, it seems many thought we got tough draws during our four year run each year. I'm gonna go by past experience and say the staff has the boys ready to bring home another one.

Not just those 4 years...EVERY YEAR from EVERY FAN BASE...at least from those that post the most. And I go back 40-some years, but it's been far worse since Al Gore invented the internet.

How do y'all think the other teams feel about wrestling our guys? We'll be fine.

Not just those 4 years...EVERY YEAR from EVERY FAN BASE...at least from those that post the most. And I go back 40-some years, but it's been far worse since Al Gore invented the internet.

How do y'all think the other teams feel about wrestling our guys? We'll be fine.
This.

The most likely top competitor, Oklahoma State, gets 2 of its top guns stopped dead in the quarters by Nico and Nolf.

Just my opinions:

125: I believe Nico will get it done against Dance. Nico's final tournament, not on Dance's home mat. Although Dance seems to pick it up at Nationals, I think Nico pulls it out. I'm sort of hoping Gilman beats Tomasello. Tomasello looked better at pushing the pressure in the last match even though it went to overtime. While I think Nico can beat Tomasello, Nico's already beaten Gilman. Anyways, these semifinal matches are going to be great!

133: Conaway has a very tough draw. However, either way he should be able to AA. He's been extremely consistent and has a lot of heart. I can only picture him wrestle his best at the big tournament. I just hope he beats Taylor so he has one less wrestle back to go through.

141:This is another weight where PSU had a tough draw. If Jimmy pulls the upset against Manley, which I think he can, that would be huge. Lets say he loses his first match, he would get the loser of Thorn vs Jordan in the wrestle backs in his next match (Assuming I looked at the brackets correctly!).That's a tough spot, but we know he can pull it off, just like we know he can beat Manley. Jimmy is the wrestler I'm most excited to see in the first couple of rounds because I have NO CLUE what to expect. Will he wrestle how he did at BIGs and continue the momentum? I think we"ll see a rematch with Ashnault. (Picked it up and beat Taylor last year at Nationals, he'll pull another one first round this year).

149: ZTrain will be moving. He has a great spot and we might see another Pantaleo vs Zpain picture finish in the semis. I still think Sorensen will make the finals and I see a similar result. Only difference is that I think Sorensen will be moving more on bottom which will open up some back points. Sorensen was already making it to Nationals during the Big Ten Finals match. He was down and balled up on bottom. He'll have to do more for any hope of winning.

157: Nolf already beat Gantt during his redshirt season and even though Gantt has looked great this season, his offense is nothing like Nolf's. The match with IMAR last time was slowed down a lot because Illinois coach found a way to stop the match and then with all of the other stoppage IMAR was able to breathe and that slowed Nolf down. IMAR is a phenomenal wrestler and if the match happens, it will be probably the most anticipated match. I think Nolf will be pumped for the rematch. As much as I wish it didn't happen, I think that loss is going to fire him up and a lot of points will be scored if they face again. I wouldn't sleep on a Miller vs IMAR, though….Semis are right after weigh-ins right?

165: I'm just happy he made the tournament, but his spot in the bracket could have been worse. Any points will be great considering I didn't see him making it after his loss to Rhoads. If he loses first round, he probably gets Pickett from Cornell who had beaten him earlier in the year (if I remember, Pickett won something like 9-3 the first time and they faced again and Pickett won that one in OT..?). I think he could beat Stoudenmeyer or Pickett. Let's hope for some kid of run for some insurance points.

174: Well, Nickal is going to be fine. We could see some big throws if Rogers (OKS) makes it past Epperly, but after seeing Rogers lose to Weatherspoon(ISU) I doubt we will see him in the quarters. Weatherspoon is longer and wasn't afraid to go upper body with him and won I think all of the takedowns. Epperly is a tough match. I actually think Epperly is a top 5 wrestler at this weight. Nickal's only loss was on a sloppy throw. We haven't seen anything close to that since and Epperly is more slow the match down. Nickal handled this match well last time and I think he's only improved. Nickal's already beaten Brunson and Ramos and Realbuto. I think Nickal Realbuto 2 would be AWESOME with a similar result.

184: How healthy is McCutcheon? Because when he is healthy, he can make a deep run through wrestle backs with his spot. Assuming he wins his first and then loses to Dean, he would have one match, then he would get Ellingwood (CMU) or Lampe (CHAT), then if he wins that he would get Miller (Navy) or Boyd (OKS) and I'm thinking Miller with the way Boyd has been wrestling (Boyd vs Dean could be a fun match given the last time they faced). But anyways, Miller wouldn't be easy, but if McCutcheon is healthy we have seen him wrestle outstanding. He crushed Zavatsky and beat Dudley. So I would pick a healthy McCutcheon over Miller. That would set up for (IF seeding held) Stauffer of ASU in the R12 who hasn't really wrestled anybody and I haven't seen him wrestle so I going off of record would be tough but possible. Anyways, he has to be healthy for anything. After watching his match at BIGs with Gravina, I'm hoping he was just down about his loss to Brooks rather than anything serious. Healthy McCutcheon = R12/7th-8th place finish….not healthy McCutcheon= 2-2

197: I want to see Burak in the semifinals because I think Hartmann is more dangerous than Burak. But with how well McIntosh has wrestled, I don't think it will matter. His feet were super quick in his finals match and he had some great shots, explosive, etc. In the finals we will be in for a treat with a rematch from last year between Cox and McIntosh most likely. Pfarr has an outside chance. Neither guy has struggled this year so it will be very interesting.

HW: I noticed a comment above about Marsden in the semifinals, I just don't think he's getting past Coon. So let's hope Coon wins and lets hope someone pulls an upset in the medal rounds to prevent more points here.

Clearly I have blue and white glasses on, but I really do think Penn State will be fine. Iowa and Oklahoma State have tough draws as well. Rhoads has a tough first round match, and Cooper vs. Berger in the first round will be tough for them. Iowa may only have Sorensen as a finalist. Clark vs Richards is toss up since they split this year. OK State is in a similar position except they have Dieringer. I haven't looked at NC State but I see a similar situation there as withIowa and OK state with the Gwiz.

Last edited:
Nolf is perfect at 2 or 3...he's on the other side of the bracket setting up a potential finals rematch against IMar. He just has to get by Joe Smith of Ok State and Gantt of NC State. IMar is the bout people want to see...if he can squeak by Miller. I like our chances here.

I like Zain's and Nickal's chances. I think they each have an excellent shot to win their classes.

I like Nico's draw too. He gets a potential rematch with NaTo if he can avenge his loss to Dance...at MSG...like a home field advantage for us there. I don't think he loses to Dance again.

I don't mind Smack's draw. He may have to beat his somewhat nemesis Hartman of Duke to make the finals. I think he's on a mission and a collision course with Cox in the finals. He just has to get his offense going in the first period. I like his chances...he's on a mission. I hope he gets a bit mean.

I also don't mind Morelli's draw at all...with luck and some offense he could win a couple before he has to face BoJo...

Cutch gets Gabe Dean almost right off the bat if he wins his opener against the kid from Bucknell. Ugh.

I don't care for Conaway's draw. He gets Taylor of WISC (whom he lost twice to A B10's) almost right off the bat. That said, I agree with the folks that say beating Taylor is a learned skill.

If Gulibon gets 2 wins (and I think he can against Manley and Mecate) he faces Ashnault again. Ugh. Keep Ashnault off your wrists!

Folks, I think this title is super winnable for the good guys with 2 champs likely and 5 a possibility...with some extra effort and luck.

Just my opinions:

125: I believe Nico will get it done against Dance. Nico's final tournament, not on Dance's home mat. Although Dance seems to pick it up at Nationals, I think Nico pulls it out. I'm sort of hoping Gilman beats Tomasello. Tomasello looked better at pushing the pressure in the last match even though it went to overtime. While I think Nico can beat Tomasello, Nico's already beaten Gilman. Anyways, these semifinal matches are going to be great!

133: Conaway has a very tough draw. However, either way he should be able to AA. He's been extremely consistent and has a lot of heart. I can only picture him wrestle his best at the big tournament. I just hope he beats Taylor so he has one less wrestle back to go through.

141:This is another weight where PSU had a tough draw. If Jimmy pulls the upset against Manley, which I think he can, that would be huge. Lets say he loses his first match, he would get the loser of Thorn vs Jordan in the wrestle backs in his next match (Assuming I looked at the brackets correctly!).That's a tough spot, but we know he can pull it off, just like we know he can beat Manley. Jimmy is the wrestler I'm most excited to see in the first couple of rounds because I have NO CLUE what to expect. Will he wrestle how he did at BIGs and continue the momentum? I think we"ll see a rematch with Ashnault. (Picked it up and beat Taylor last year at Nationals, he'll pull another one first round this year).

149: ZTrain will be moving. He has a great spot and we might see another Pantaleo vs Zpain picture finish in the semis. I still think Sorensen will make the finals and I see a similar result. Only difference is that I think Sorensen will be moving more on bottom which will open up some back points. Sorensen was already making it to Nationals during the Big Ten Finals match. He was down and balled up on bottom. He'll have to do more for any hope of winning.

157: Nolf already beat Gantt during his redshirt season and even though Gantt has looked great this season, his offense is nothing like Nolf's. The match with IMAR last time was slowed down a lot because Illinois coach found a way to stop the match and then with all of the other stoppage IMAR was able to breathe and that slowed Nolf down. IMAR is a phenomenal wrestler and if the match happens, it will be probably the most anticipated match. I think Nolf will be pumped for the rematch. As much as I wish it didn't happen, I think that loss is going to fire him up and a lot of points will be scored if they face again. I wouldn't sleep on a Miller vs IMAR, though….Semis are right after weigh-ins right?

165: I'm just happy he made the tournament, but his spot in the bracket could have been worse. Any points will be great considering I didn't see him making it after his loss to Rhoads. If he loses first round, he probably gets Pickett from Cornell who had beaten him earlier in the year (if I remember, Pickett won something like 9-3 the first time and they faced again and Pickett won that one in OT..?). I think he could beat Stoudenmeyer or Pickett. Let's hope for some kid of run for some insurance points.

174: Well, Nickal is going to be fine. We could see some big throws if Rogers (OKS) makes it past Epperly, but after seeing Rogers lose to Weatherspoon(ISU) I doubt we will see him in the quarters. Weatherspoon is longer and wasn't afraid to go upper body with him and won I think all of the takedowns. Epperly is a tough match. I actually think Epperly is a top 5 wrestler at this weight. Nickal's only loss was on a sloppy throw. We haven't seen anything close to that since and Epperly is more slow the match down. Nickal handled this match well last time and I think he's only improved. Nickal's already beaten Brunson and Ramos and Realbuto. I think Nickal Realbuto 2 would be AWESOME with a similar result.

184: How healthy is McCutcheon? Because when he is healthy, he can make a deep run through wrestle backs with his spot. Assuming he wins his first and then loses to Dean, he would have one match, then he would get Ellingwood (CMU) or Lampe (CHAT), then if he wins that he would get Miller (Navy) or Boyd (OKS) and I'm thinking Miller with the way Boyd has been wrestling (Boyd vs Dean could be a fun match given the last time they faced). But anyways, Miller wouldn't be easy, but if McCutcheon is healthy we have seen him wrestle outstanding. He crushed Zavatsky and beat Dudley. So I would pick a healthy McCutcheon over Miller. That would set up for (IF seeding held) Stauffer of ASU in the R12 who hasn't really wrestled anybody and I haven't seen him wrestle so I going off of record would be tough but possible. Anyways, he has to be healthy for anything. After watching his match at BIGs with Gravina, I'm hoping he was just down about his loss to Brooks rather than anything serious. Healthy McCutcheon = R12/7th-8th place finish….not healthy McCutcheon= 2-2

197: I want to see Burak in the semifinals because I think Hartmann is more dangerous than Burak. But with how well McIntosh has wrestled, I don't think it will matter. His feet were super quick in his finals match and he had some great shots, explosive, etc. In the finals we will be in for a treat with a rematch from last year between Cox and McIntosh most likely. Pfarr has an outside chance. Neither guy has struggled this year so it will be very interesting.

HW: I noticed a comment above about Marsden in the semifinals, I just don't think he's getting past Coon. So let's hope Coon wins and lets hope someone pulls an upset in the medal rounds to prevent more points here.

Clearly I have blue and white glasses on, but I really do think Penn State will be fine. Iowa and Oklahoma State have tough draws as well. Rhoads has a tough first round match, and Cooper vs. Berger in the first round will be tough for them. Iowa may only have Sorensen as a finalist. Clark vs Richards is toss up since they split this year. OK State is in a similar position except they have Dieringer. I haven't looked at NC State but I see a similar situation there as withIowa and OK state with the Gwiz.
McCutcheon is going to have his hands full with Sleigh.

So frustrating for us bracketheads.

Print the damn backside!
I know this is an imperfect solution, but NCAA bracket structure doesn't change from year to year. Can look at last year's brackets and see where guys will slot in consis.

I know, a little cumbersome, but better than nothing.

Reactions: KidNittany
I know this is an imperfect solution, but NCAA bracket structure doesn't change from year to year. Can look at last year's brackets and see where guys will slot in consis.

Should've added "lazy" as an extra qualifier when I posted :D

So frustrating for us bracketheads.

Print the damn backside!

Should've added "lazy" as an extra qualifier when I posted :D

This will sound a little complicated...it's not after you do it for a couple years ;)...I'll leave the pigtail out, since it does complicate things...

1) The wrestlers drop down into wrestle-backs IN ORDER from the Championship Bracket. I.e. loser of 1st match wrestles loser of second, etc.
2) Losers in Round 2 of the Championship Bracket drop down in REVERSE ORDER, wrestling the winners of the 1st Round in wrestle-backs.

There are 2 more levels of dropping down, slightly different rules, but the 2 rules above get you to the R12. Hope it helps.

This will sound a little complicated...it's not after you do it for a couple years ;)...I'll leave the pigtail out, since it does complicate things...

1) The wrestlers drop down into wrestle-backs IN ORDER from the Championship Bracket. I.e. loser of 1st match wrestles loser of second, etc.
2) Losers in Round 2 of the Championship Bracket drop down in REVERSE ORDER, wrestling the winners of the 1st Round in wrestle-backs.

There are 2 more levels of dropping down, slightly different rules, but the 2 rules above get you to the R12. Hope it helps.

Yes, but we need a form..surely someone has one to print...

Whoa, whoa, whoa - slow down egghead! o_O:eek:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT