ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA to present findings and (only) recommend post-season ban for Cheaters of the West. No vacated natty or wins per report

These "leaks" are trial balloons. The NCAA is "leaking" them to see how the media and fans digest it. if there is outrage, they will go back and reconsider. If not, it is done.
Precisely true...and since ESPN is not even picking up story, we can be assured that NCAA will cower away in shadows after this slap on wrist. Nice timing too. People ready for new season so leak right before whisked into 2024 season start. 1 day in headlines then out of mind. Sickening.

I'm not sure anyone really knows at this point. I don't think there are sources talking from within the NCAA except maybe to speak in generalities.

I also read this:
(not a pay site, you just need to close the pop up window)
in which supposed sources at UM think there won't be a NOA at all (which is just insane).

But I bring that up just to demonstrate that no one knows anything and we won't know until the NOA comes out.

My dispassionate take (based on the evidence already known to the public and assuming there is maybe 10% evidence we haven't seen) is that some sort of post-season ban IS likely, but that is partially because some of the other potentially punishments don't really have much bite.

For example:
a) show cause for staffers who are gone accomplishes very little.
b) I doubt michigan cares about a monetary fine
c) reduction in scholarships don't mean as much now due to NIL (and punish the wrong set of people anyway)

So unless the NCAA gets super creative (which I'm not even sure they are allowed to do based on bylaws), I think a post-season ban is most likely.

What that would be is an incentive to all other programs to begin cheating. No penalty and national championship is kept = green light to cheat to a greater degree than Michigan did if you want to win a natty.

What that would be is an incentive to all other programs to begin cheating. No penalty and national championship is kept = green light to cheat to a greater degree than Michigan did if you want to win a natty.
Perhaps we should just make bank robbers give back the money. Or, at least, the money that they hadn't yet spent by the time they were caught.

Did people honestly think they would vacate the title? I can't even begin to explain how insane that sounds. There's going to be very little outrage if nothing happened let alone if they get a post season ban moving forward. If anything they'll lessen it when they see the reaction or lack thereof.

It has been said they don't control the National championship so I guess they could vacate a couple wins which would have made the Natty impossible. The past is the past. E.veryone not named Michigan knows they cheated. Give them a 2 year bowl ban and I would be thrilled.

Reactions: RickinDayton
It has been said they don't control the National championship so I guess they could vacate a couple wins which would have made the Natty impossible. The past is the past. E.veryone not named Michigan knows they cheated. Give them a 2 year bowl ban and I would be thrilled.

Of course the NCAA controls the NC game and the playoffs.

They don't need to run these games to have control over them.

Did people honestly think they would vacate the title? I can't even begin to explain how insane that sounds. There's going to be very little outrage if nothing happened let alone if they get a post season ban moving forward. If anything they'll lessen it when they see the reaction or lack thereof.
You don't have to think they would, to assert that they should.

Reactions: alton11
You don't have to think they would, to assert that they should.
Why "should" they? It doesn't make sense. Doing that doesn't actually change anything. Michigan will still claim the title. We all saw it happen. Again, this is the same when they vacated Paterno's wins and we all still proudly said "409". Nothing changes what actually happened. See the Astros.

The people that don't consider it legit are going to think that no matter what the NCAA does
The people that think it is legit are going to think that no matter what the NCAA does

They won--is what it is.

They absolutely should vacate the title. It should also have been done in the Houston Astros case. If a team gains a competitive advantage through cheating, wins the relevant title and is then allowed to keep it, what motivation is there not to cheat? The only one I can think of is a sense of right and wrong. UM and the Astros obviously did not have that sense.

They absolutely should vacate the title. It should also have been done in the Houston Astros case. If a team gains a competitive advantage through cheating, wins the relevant title and is then allowed to keep it, what motivation is there not to cheat? The only one I can think of is a sense of right and wrong. UM and the Astros obviously did not have that sense.
Vacating a title doesn't actually mean anything. They won. Everyone knows they won. You already don't value the title based on your reply so why do you need the NCAA to validate that?

Penn State and Ohio State didn't lose to them last year because they cheated. They didn't win the 2 playoff games because they cheated. The players earned it on the field.

Same if Team Canada wins a gold in women's soccer. Regardless of what the coaches did titles should be determined on the field IMO. If you want to discredit the title then do so but the NCAA ruling doesn't impact how you see it just like it won't impact Michigan fans and how they see it.

And there's never been a motivation not to cheat. That's be real...no program is completely clean. Obviously there's levels but no one is clean.

Insane? They got caught lying to NCAA on recruiting scandal which cost Jim 3 games. They double down by having the worst spy scandal the same year? Conor needed 100s of thousands in funding to buy all those flights and tickets. CMU had to be involved to get Conor on sideline. LB coach Partridge was fired as part of scandal too. It was no coincidence. What does out of control mean to you? Of course they should have wins and NC vacated at a minimum.

Vacating a title doesn't actually mean anything. They won. Everyone knows they won. You already don't value the title based on your reply so why do you need the NCAA to validate that?

Penn State and Ohio State didn't lose to them last year because they cheated. They didn't win the 2 playoff games because they cheated. The players earned it on the field.

Same if Team Canada wins a gold in women's soccer. Regardless of what the coaches did titles should be determined on the field IMO. If you want to discredit the title then do so but the NCAA ruling doesn't impact how you see it just like it won't impact Michigan fans and how they see it.

And there's never been a motivation not to cheat. That's be real...no program is completely clean. Obviously there's levels but no one is clean.
We cannot actually go back and change a result. Would UM have won the title if they hadn't cheated? Probably, but it does not matter, they cheated and had a competitive advantage for at least part of the season. I don't value the title? You don't. According to you, teams should simply cheat their asses off. If that is tolerated and ignored, what value does any title have?

Why "should" they? It doesn't make sense. Doing that doesn't actually change anything. Michigan will still claim the title. We all saw it happen. Again, this is the same when they vacated Paterno's wins and we all still proudly said "409". Nothing changes what actually happened. See the Astros.

The people that don't consider it legit are going to think that no matter what the NCAA does
The people that think it is legit are going to think that no matter what the NCAA does

They won--is what it is.
***Sigh***

I recall the NCAA vacated men's volleyball titles for Hawai'i and Lewis about 20 years ago. Yes, different sport, but that is a precedent. That being said, since there is no actual championship in 1-A football, it's likely true that the NCAA can't vacate the title - there's nothing official to actually remove. I suppose in theory they could vacate the wins from the CFP games.

Reactions: PSU4U and alton11
We cannot actually go back and change a result. Would UM have won the title if they hadn't cheated? Probably, but it does not matter, they cheated and had a competitive advantage for at least part of the season. I don't value the title? You don't. According to you, teams should simply cheat their asses off. If that is tolerated and ignored, what value does any title have?

Additionally, what integrity does the sport have? Who is responsible for the best interests of the sport? The NCAA - that's who. The sport has zero integrity if the NCAA does not come down hard on cheaters.

Insane? They got caught lying to NCAA on recruiting scandal which cost Jim 3 games. They double down by having the worst spy scandal the same year? Conor needed 100s of thousands in funding to buy all those flights and tickets. CMU had to be involved to get Conor on sideline. LB coach Partridge was fired as part of scandal too. It was no coincidence. What does out of control mean to you? Of course they should have wins and NC vacated at a minimum.
Why should they? You can't alter the past. They won. We know it. More importantly, an asterisk doesn't alter that. Did you say 409 win Joe's wins were vacated? Did their decision impact the past?

Additionally, what integrity does the sport have? Who is responsible for the best interests of the sport? The NCAA - that's who. The sport has zero integrity if the NCAA does not come down hard on cheaters.
We killed the NCAA which is exactly what we wanted then...their demise. And now people want them to act? It's all ridiculous.

• Haha
Reactions: LMTLION
We killed the NCAA which is exactly what we wanted then...their demise. And now people want them to act? It's all ridiculous.
Everyone outside of Ann Arbor except you (although perhaps that is home to you) knows their natty is tainted and the wins over 2022 and 2023 at the very least should be vacated.

Why should they? You can't alter the past. They won. We know it. More importantly, an asterisk doesn't alter that. Did you say 409 win Joe's wins were vacated? Did their decision impact the past?
Apologies Mr Dilinger, you can keep the money. The past is the past. What logic, LC..

Reactions: EdwardoCarrachio
Meaning you're frustrated because you can't put together a valid reply?
No. Some things just don't warrant a reply.
But since you asked....
I agree with much that you post, so it's a shame to say this, but you are insufferable and exhausting. You have a reply for everything, warranted or not. Every post you make tells someone they are wrong. You've never been anything but 100% sure of your opinion, no matter how gray and uncertain the situation is. Maybe, just one time, before pressing reply, ask yourself whether someone else could, maybe, just possibly, have a valid idea, even if it varies, even just slightly, from your own. Good day to you.

Everyone outside of Ann Arbor except you (although perhaps that is home to you) knows their natty is tainted and the wins over 2022 and 2023 at the very least should be vacated.
That statement is not a fact. I don't and I don't care about Michigan in any way other than I want to beat them on the field.
Basically, the whole country thought we should have gotten the death penalty--does that mean it should have happened?

Apologies Mr Dilinger, you can keep the money. The past is the past. What logic, LC..
Did you still consider Joe having won 409 games?
The past is the past--nothing alters it unless you created a time machine. You can learn from it but can't change it.

They won--is what it is.
BTW, it is an absolutely illogical argument to equate vacating PSU/Parterno wins with Meat chicken.

The NCAA overseas competition issues. Let's assume everything we've been told about Sandusky is 100% true. He's a criminal who committed a criminal act/acts outside of his professional duties, that had nothing to do with football and had no impact on the outcome of games(ie. the jurisdiction of the NCAA). The NCAA jumped the shark by having any involvement, let alone with the sanctions, and the BOT were a bunch of cowards in rolling over (probably bc of their own personal involvement with the 2nd mile)

Meat chicken on the other hand, had a football staffer engaging in activity specifically designed to tilt the competition in UMs favor and influence the outcome of games. This IS the one specific purpose of the NCAA existing. Everyone knows they cheated. Stallions is on video literally looking at a laminated page and telling UM coordinators/Harbaugh what the opposition's play call is. Wins should be vacated. In-game cheating is far worse than any recruiting violation, no matter how egregious. If the NCAA and member institutions aren't interested in stiff penalties for teams caught cheating, then CFB becomes a charade that no longer matters.

To draw any comparison between PSU and UM is an absurdity....and when you respond defending your position, because we all know you can't NOT do that, it will frankly make me wonder about the validity of any argument because it shows a lack of critical thinking and reason.

No. Some things just don't warrant a reply.
But since you asked....
I agree with much that you post, so it's a shame to say this, but you are insufferable and exhausting. You have a reply for everything, warranted or not. Every post you make tells someone they are wrong. You've never been anything but 100% sure of your opinion, no matter how gray and uncertain the situation is. Maybe, just one time, before pressing reply, ask yourself whether someone else could, maybe, just possibly, have a valid idea, even if it varies, even just slightly, from your own. Good day to you.
This is why I keep posting--I agree with people often--you just ignore that. See me agreeing about the 3 star kid and the rating no being relevant.
I always ask myself that and, see this threat, they don't. It's pure emotion.
Kind of like people wanting to pretend WVU is good because they incorrectly believe that makes us better.

This is why I keep posting--I agree with people often--you just ignore that. See me agreeing about the 3 star kid and the rating no being relevant.
I always ask myself that and, see this threat, they don't. It's pure emotion.
Kind of like people wanting to pretend WVU is good because they incorrectly believe that makes us better.
Ask harder. You're not doing it right.

BTW, it is an absolutely illogical argument to equate vacating PSU/Parterno wins with Meat chicken.

The NCAA overseas competition issues. Let's assume everything we've been told about Sandusky is 100% true. He's a criminal who committed a criminal act/acts outside of his professional duties, that had nothing to do with football and had no impact on the outcome of games(ie. the jurisdiction of the NCAA). The NCAA jumped the shark with the sanctions and the BOT were a bunch of cowards in rolling over (probably bc of their personal involvement with the 2nd mile)

Meat chicken on the other hand, had a football staffer engaging in activity specifically designed to tilt the competition in UMs favor and influence the outcome of games. This IS the one specific purpose of the NCAA existing. Everyone knows they cheated. Stallions is on video literally looking at a laminated page and telling UM coordinators/Harbaugh what the opposition's play call is. Wins should be vacated. In-game cheating is far worse than any recruiting violation, no matter how egregious. If the NCAA and member institutions aren't interested in stiff penalties for teams caught cheating, then CFB becomes a charade that no longer matters.

To draw any comparison between PSU and UM is an absurdity....and when you respond defending your position, because we all know you can't NOT do that, it will frankly make me wonder about the validity of any argument because it shows a lack of critical thinking and reason.
So, saying "Meat chicken" immediately costs you credibility. It's like them calling us Ped State and them having no credibility.
It's not absurd--"vacating" wins doesn't mean anything. It doesn't alter anything. And, your reply proves that you counted the wins because you didn't care how the NCAA ruled. As you shouldn't have. Just like no one associated with Michigan is going to care how the NCAA rules on this. Just like you shouldn't care because you already don't consider their title to be legit.
You're claiming I'm lacking reason when you referred to them as Meat Chicken and don't comprehend how nothing the NCAA does matters but I'm lacking critical thinking skills?
Can you take your own advice one once then respond?

So, saying "Meat chicken" immediately costs you credibility. It's like them calling us Ped State and them having no credibility.
It's not absurd--"vacating" wins doesn't mean anything. It doesn't alter anything. And, your reply proves that you counted the wins because you didn't care how the NCAA ruled. As you shouldn't have. Just like no one associated with Michigan is going to care how the NCAA rules on this. Just like you shouldn't care because you already don't consider their title to be legit.
You're claiming I'm lacking reason when you referred to them as Meat Chicken and don't comprehend how nothing the NCAA does matters but I'm lacking critical thinking skills?

Question, oh Michigan man...does UM still recognize fab 5 final fours? Pretty sure they pulled them down from rafters bc of their cheating. Same for NC. They need to be shamed for cheating.

Question, oh Michigan man...does UM still recognize fab 5 final fours? Pretty sure they pulled them down from rafters bc of their cheating. Same for NC. They need to be shamed for cheating.
See--now because you don't have an argument I'm a Michigan fan
A banner hanging doesn't mean people don't consider it a title
Did you no longer count Paterno's win when the NCAA didn't? Of course you ignored that
The fact any of us care about how the NCAA rules on something is insane. You already don't believe they won a title fairly--what the NCAA decides won't alter your thought. Nor should it.

See--now because you don't have an argument I'm a Michigan fan
A banner hanging doesn't mean people don't consider it a title
Did you no longer count Paterno's win when the NCAA didn't? Of course you ignored that
The fact any of us care about how the NCAA rules on something is insane. You already don't believe they won a title fairly--what the NCAA decides won't alter your thought. Nor should it.
Your Paterno argument is about dumbest you could bring up. If you brought up NCAA list of wins then Bowden was at top. This is not about fan feelings. I consider 1994 a championship for PSU but NCAA won't show it. Remove the NC bc they cheated...not hard

Meat Chicken pokes fun at the upper Midwest accent. You're saying that is the same as Ped State? 😳😳😳😳😳

Keep digging this hole Lando

Reactions: Michlion
Your Paterno argument is about dumbest you could bring up. If you brought up NCAA list of wins then Bowden was at top. This is not about fan feelings. I consider 1994 a championship for PSU but NCAA won't show it. Remove the NC bc they cheated...not hard
How is it dumb? The NCAA ruled and we ignored it
You consider it to be a title and don't care what the NCAA says re: 1994
How is that different? It's the exact same thing. You just want the NCAA to validate how you feel--but why? Who cares? You're not going to count it anyway. Those that only care about what happened will count it regardless.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT