ADVERTISEMENT

New ad from Gillette:

Neither was Burke. Also, the point was the analogy between the quotes to highlight the absurdity of taking offense. You're smart enough to recognize that.
Nobody will take offense when Gillette does a "toxic femininity" commercial to balance it out. Not that they should do either.

The “We Believe in the Best in Men” video is a negative depiction of men and in my opinion Gillette is going to have a very difficult time back peddling away from this mess it created. Right now comments on Youtube are running negative by a devastating margin of ten to one. A disproportionate number of dislikes includes many men who are saying the ad is insulting and full of stereotypes. What is perhaps most dangerous for Gillette is the large number of posters who are threatening to never buy the product again. You see, in the real world, in real Board rooms, when a CEO and CFO are enraged and furious and forced to explain a 20% reduction in Market Share and the negative publicity of this video is when the real abuse begins. TERMINATION!!

If Gillette loses 20 share-points over this, i will shove my car keys up my ass*

Of course I won't, in fact I'll vote and comment, happily, and without a hint of hypocrisy. Because I won't equate weighing in on the attractiveness of women with abusing them sexually, physically, or mentally.

Do you think the bans on international travel to certain countries suggests all people from those countries are bad? Of course not. Of course you recognize that those comments and actions are directed at a certain subset. Why are you incapable of applying the same reasoning here?

On your first comment, I am good with your value decisions....don't put them on me and everyone else. There are many that would be offended by Who's the Hottest so not sure how you justify your selective adherence and denial. Be that as it may, I am offended that this company feels they are the arbiter of all things sex related. Regardless, we need a vetting system to limit the violent criminals so that we can recognize the contributors from the trouble makers.

To your second point, my view is that the boarder needs to be secured. An illegal alien, an undocumented worker, is a criminal by the very definition. We can then choose to accept more, or less, which is a legislative issue.

So, if you are suggesting equating the two, there are laws legislated to protect all individuals. Own them and use them. To my daughter, i am teaching her to own her independence and security. The rules are on her side. Don't be a victim or to revel in the industry of victimhood. To my sons, I teach them to treat women using the golden rule. however, I resent the fact that a company like Gillett feels they need to intervene and suggest that many, if not most, men are pigs. I won't be buying their products. BTW, I have a similar view of Colin K. I don't have a problem with the message, but the delivery mechanism is problematic for me.

Reactions: Howie'81
Good. So why is it offensive to encourage others to do so?

Imagine the reaction if a similar video depicted [insert targeted group of people, singled out by gender, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, etc.] and told them that they need to stop [insert stereotypical bad behavior of a small percentage of targeted group]. You'll have your answer.

Reactions: Howie'81
There are many that would be offended by Who's the Hottest so not sure how you justify your selective adherence and denial.

I find it very simple to justify, using the same reasoning I apply in determining what should be criminalized. I have no qualms with determining what I think is right and wrong and when those things should be “put on” others. Unless you’re for anarchy, you do the same all the time.

if you are suggesting equating the two,

Why is it every time an analogy is used, nobody views it for the thought-logic comparison it’s intended, but instead treats it as though it’s meant to demonstrate equivalence?

Gillett feels they need to intervene and suggest that many, if not most, men are pigs

Again, where does this ad suggest most, or many men are pigs? If this is out of line, are we not allowed to have a discussion anymore about the problem with men and violence and treatment of women? That’s just off the table because you and others say it suggests all men are bad?

And that's fine, I certainly don't think anyone should start looking to Gillette as their moral compass, that's obviously nonsensical. I just don't get why some are lighting the torches over it.

Why did they use this picture of you? ;);)

_105186650_gillette4.jpg

Last edited:
Is the ad a bit preachy and heavy-handed? I suppose you could make that argument. Odd for a razor company to be making this statement? I guess, but whatever. But only a true dick would look at the fundamental message of this ad and object to it.

You need to stop with the hyperbole. Just because someone thinks this ad is a bad idea does not mean they are offended, threatened or feel entitled (I don't even know where this one came from).

There are a lot of ads that people think are a bad idea. But they don't go to the trouble of protesting.

hqdefault.jpg

Reactions: 8th Man
I find it very simple to justify, using the same reasoning I apply in determining what should be criminalized. I have no qualms with determining what I think is right and wrong and when those things should be “put on” others. Unless you’re for anarchy, you do the same all the time.

Why is it every time an analogy is used, nobody views it for the thought-logic comparison it’s intended, but instead treats it as though it’s meant to demonstrate equivalence?

Again, where does this ad suggest most, or many men are pigs? If this is out of line, are we not allowed to have a discussion anymore about the problem with men and violence and treatment of women? That’s just off the table because you and others say it suggests all men are bad?
Well, I am not going to go line item by line item and I am done with this thread. I do respect your opinion. I guess I had no idea that women were so fragile and needed so much protection. I grew up in a family with strong women; mother and three sisters. I have a wife and daughter and am close to her family as well. let me tell you: God help the guy that messes with them. They are a formidable crew. And my daughter will be too. She may end up being a victim: once..and that will end it.

Reactions: m.knox and Howie'81
You need to stop with the hyperbole. Just because someone thinks this ad is a bad idea does not mean they are offended, threatened or feel entitled (I don't even know where this one came from).
Plenty of folks showed more than distaste for the ad. Several were offended and felt accused somehow.

Well, I am not going to go line item by line item and I am done with this thread. I do respect your opinion. I guess I had no idea that women were so fragile and needed so much protection. I grew up in a family with strong women; mother and three sisters. I have a wife and daughter and am close to her family as well. let me tell you: God help the guy that messes with them. They are a formidable crew. And my daughter will be too. She may end up being a victim: once..and that will end it.

My grandmother is 93, tough as ever, and used to beat up boys who picked on her brother. My mother taught my father to hunt and shot a 10 point with a bow this year at 66 years old. She has her concealed carry, which she uses for her .357 S&W. My wife trains German Shepherds in protection for competition. So I’m not surrounded by weak, fragile women. But I also know my wife’s earliest memory is her drunken father dragging her mother across the floor by the hair. So I won’t pretend because it’s not in my life, it doesn’t exist. And I hate to think our society will only care about the things impacting us personally, but instead can recognize system problems and not be offended at efforts to discuss them.

I agree we’re done with this conversation. I do respect your opinion, we just look at it from different angles and different starting points of consideration, which skews both our views the rest of the way.

My grandmother is 93, tough as ever, and used to beat up boys who picked on her brother. My mother taught my father to hunt and shot a 10 point with a bow this year at 66 years old. She has her concealed carry, which she uses for her .357 S&W. My wife trains German Shepherds in protection for competition. So I’m not surrounded by weak, fragile women. But I also know my wife’s earliest memory is her drunken father dragging her mother across the floor by the hair. So I won’t pretend because it’s not in my life, it doesn’t exist. And I hate to think our society will only care about the things impacting us personally, but instead can recognize system problems and not be offended at efforts to discuss them.

I agree we’re done with this conversation. I do respect your opinion, we just look at it from different angles and different starting points of consideration, which skews both our views the rest of the way.
i am sure, if you father in law had seen that add accusing men, I am sure everything would have been different.

Don't bother arguing. The guy "has daughters." When your world is driven by emotion and you think how you feel is legitimate for determining public policy, you can't even begin to have a rational discourse.

Of course, facts don't care about your feelings, but then feelings don't care about facts. And here, we have the ultimate conundrum with how progressives approach the world.

i am sure, if you father in law had seen that add accusing men, I am sure everything would have been different.

Give me a break, don't be intellectually dishonest. Nobody pretends that's how this works.

How did we end the worst of the institutional racism in the south (I know it's far from gone)? By changing the attitude towards it. By taking it from something that was embraced and accepted as normal, and instead stigmatizing it and branding those that supported it as outcasts. Nobody marched for civil rights because it would make the KKK members tolerant, and that's what your terse reply suggests is the logic of such efforts.

Ads like this won't cause an abuser to see the light of his ways, of course. But there's a reason treatment of women is better today than it was 60 years ago. It's a long play. We stigmatize and demonize the type of men who treat women poorly, and every generation there will be less and less men who think it is acceptable, or tolerable.

Don't bother arguing. The guy "has daughters." When your world is driven by emotion and you think how you feel is legitimate for determining public policy, you can't even begin to have a rational discourse.

Of course, facts don't care about your feelings, but then feelings don't care about facts. And here, we have the ultimate conundrum with how progressives approach the world.

I'm a republican, was raised with only brothers, only have a son, and have based all my argument on logic, not emotion.

Something tells me that from a business perspective Gillette is going to regret ever producing this video.
Reading the WSJ article, will probably have a short term blip, but probably no long term effect. Direct to consumer sales are whittling down the sales though. Supposedly, Gillette and Schick have responded with a price drop ( I haven't experienced it. Also, Millennials will buy to support companies with causes they believe in, so the ad won't hurt there.

I think I get Gillette’s point. Is it that men are supposed to be euneched pansies?

:eek:
Wow. I just opened this thread. And with that post, I’m done reading.

Gillette did a bad job with this ad. Initially, I at least appreciated that Gillette dedicated some effort and money to weigh in on a few serious issues and try to do some good. Seemed they made good points badly. But seeing many of these messages tells me they messed up worse than I appreciated.

What it means to be a man and expectations for men’s attitudes and behavior have been evolving. Truth is, most of those vignettes of how men should act didn’t need actors. Gillette cast a broad brush in ways that would have been unacceptable when criticizing every other group, ignored how good men can be (and how good most men I know are), ignored how much social progress has already been made and basically approached the message by calling men out for acting as most of us don’t.

It was like they were advocating as new perspectives that are already mainstream AMONG ADULT MEN. I get that it offended guys. We don’t deserve to be the next group in line for socially accepted bullying.

But man has this thread become toxic...

Reactions: NewEra 2014
Question for ya...what about chicks who wear skirts that barely cover the cracks of their asses and/or tops that show 3-4" of cleavage?? Would that be "toxic femininity"?? BTW, I've got four daughters...

Gillette did a bad job with this ad. Initially, I at least appreciated that Gillette dedicated some effort and money to weigh in on a few serious issues and try to do some good. Seemed they made good points badly. But seeing many of these messages tells me they messed up worse than I appreciated.

What it means to be a man and expectations for men’s attitudes and behavior have been evolving. Truth is, most of those vignettes of how men should act didn’t need actors. Gillette cast a broad brush in ways that would have been unacceptable when criticizing every other group, ignored how good men can be (and how good most men I know are), ignored how much social progress has already been made and basically approached the message by calling men out for acting as most of us don’t.

It was like they were advocating as new perspectives that are already mainstream AMONG ADULT MEN. I get that it offended guys. We don’t deserve to be the next group in line for socially accepted bullying.

#dontshootthemessenger

I think you hit it on the head. Gillette threw in with a group that would suggest ALL men not wearing a vigina hat at womens marchrs and eating soy exclusively promote rape culture. A group that would suggest you are horrible for the post you wrote. There can be no discussion!
Gillette missed the mark bc it cast all men as part of the problem instead of the small minority that is. In 20 years in corporate America, I've never encountered the stuff in that ad. (Maybe Gillette has a culture problem).
Or maybe I've just never seen it bc I've only worked for companies that won't hire women for serious positions bc they might get pregnant and are only emotionally stable 2 out of every 4 weeks.

Plenty of folks showed more than distaste for the ad. Several were offended and felt accused somehow.
A few, but I would say not most. I understand that this is a topic for you that hits really close to home based on this and other discussions, and I am not trying to dismiss that at all. I just feel like you are lumping everyone who does not like this ad, or finds the stereotypes off the mark, as upset or offended. I see it as a lot of people who think Gillette made a mistake doing this ad (me included), but are not offended or threatened by the message.

Question for ya...what about chicks who wear skirts that barely cover the cracks of their asses and/or tops that show 3-4" of cleavage?? Would that be "toxic femininity"?? BTW, I've got four daughters...
Women are allowed to show off the goods but men aren't allowed to act like they notice.

Reactions: psuro
A few, but I would say not most. I understand that this is a topic for you that hits really close to home based on this and other discussions, and I am not trying to dismiss that at all. I just feel like you are lumping everyone who does not like this ad, or finds the stereotypes off the mark, as upset or offended. I see it as a lot of people who think Gillette made a mistake doing this ad (me included), but are not offended or threatened by the message.
We men are going to have an effect on the boys who will grow into violent abusers, or no one is. Women, cops, judges, jails cannot fix it, or it would be fixed. Men will teach boys respect for women and others, or they wont learn. Plain as day.

Any man who watches that ad comes away with the idea that the message is all men are bad, needs to watch again.

Any man who is threatened or insulted by that ad certainly marks himself as one we cant count on.

To me it is remarkable that anyone would see that as an attempt to demean men .

Reactions: massimoManca II
Being asked to do the right thing is somehow insulting?

I wish I could say some of the reactions here surprise me, but they really don't.

I haven't lost respect for some of you, because I never had any.

Reactions: massimoManca II
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT