ADVERTISEMENT

New Round Of Conference Realignment?

carlspacklerrocks

Mar 26, 2016
This column - written by a media guy (at least that's how he describes himself) - predicts a ton of changes because of demands TV will place on the FBS schools in exchange for ongoing TV contracts. He says we'll end up with four power conferences of 16 teams each and that the group of 5 conferences will end up playing in a separate subdivision of Division 1. Also, he has a bunch of teams changing places between the power and group of 5 conferences including Oregon State and Washington State leaving for the Mountain West. A bunch of other stuff too.

http://www.thechaosindex.com/cest-l...-to-change-a-whole-lot-more-than-you-realize/

He is probably right. I this coming way back during the late 90s when the old Bowl Coalition was first created. Massive restructuring was inevitable the instant the powers that be decided to "correct" a problem that didn't exist by manufacturing something resembling a national championship game. The end result is quite clear. In time, I fully expect the major conferences to break free completely with the likes of Boise State reverting to their former status.

Realignment is currently on pause but eventually it will unpause, probably about the time the playoffs expand to 8 or more teams and/or the ACC's grant of rights agreement is challenged in court and is deemed illegal. Once one or both of those things happen, look out. I fully expect the Big Ten to move to 18 or 20 teams by adding Notre Dame, Boston College, and schools from Virginia/North Carolina. Keep in mind that adding Maryland makes little financial sense given the domination of the Washington/Baltimore market by Penn State unless they were simply a piece to a larger puzzle. A similar case can be made for Rutgers as well.

The agreement was signed by university presidents of member schools. In a few states, that type of power is likely only reserved for the legislature.

He is probably right. I this coming way back during the late 90s when the old Bowl Coalition was first created. Massive restructuring was inevitable the instant the powers that be decided to "correct" a problem that didn't exist by manufacturing something resembling a national championship game. The end result is quite clear. In time, I fully expect the major conferences to break free completely with the likes of Boise State reverting to their former status.

Realignment is currently on pause but eventually it will unpause, probably about the time the playoffs expand to 8 or more teams and/or the ACC's grant of rights agreement is challenged in court and is deemed illegal. Once one or both of those things happen, look out. I fully expect the Big Ten to move to 18 or 20 teams by adding Notre Dame, Boston College, and schools from Virginia/North Carolina. Keep in mind that adding Maryland makes little financial sense given the domination of the Washington/Baltimore market by Penn State unless they were simply a piece to a larger puzzle. A similar case can be made for Rutgers as well.

I think adding MD was not really about MD but about chipping into the ACC, giving UVA/UNC a precedent for bolting when/if the time comes.

"...Oregon State and Washington State leaving for the Mountain West."

Ugh. This is one of my favorite topics but analysis likes this almost makes me want to not read the article but I will anyway.

Notre Dame has to land somewhere. They can't stay independent (arrogant) for ever. Even though I hate them which actually may be good, they belong in the Big Ten. The Boston Market is up for grabs. The only team I can imagine from there is BC and while they don't fit the mold they are a bit like Northwestern.

The other big money program is Texas. My guess is that it would be a big fight between the SEC and BT.

The SEC is a great conference but our TV markets are bigger which means more money. If you look at where the PSU grads go and the Michigan grads go NY will continue to grow to be a BT market which will have a larger impact than adding Rutgers. The Maryland add sort of gives you the DC market but not fully.

So the last two seats in my opinion have 4 candidates: ND, Texas, BC and UVA. Beyond that we would have to cut out teams like Indiana and Purdue which I would not count on but possible. I would guess that Texas will be tough and a bit remote so I think BC and UVA and then possibly swap ND for Purdue if the deal can be put together.

2 of 3 Tier one cities (NY, Chi), 3 of 6 Tier 3 cities (Boston, DC, Phila) and three or four teams with national appeal (PSU, MI, OSU, ND). Now that's a lot of money!

I used to think FSU would cause the next round of realignment by bolting the ACC for a sweetheart deal with the B12 but I think it will be OK moving somewhere. I still think UVA and NC end up in B1G and NC ST and VA Tech in SEC but other permutations certainly exist if OK goes SEC or even B1G and not PAC12.

I do expect at some point NW and Purdue to be associate members in Olympic sports and not a member in the Big TV sports to free up more seats, a buyout. Same thing with Vanderbilt in SEC.

Please keep in mind that Nielsen rankings 1) determine the number of viewers and 2) amount of ad revenue available to 'programs' in each market.

Top 100 Television Markets 2015
Full report at the following link -- http://www.tvb.org/media/file/Nielsen_2014-2015_DMA_Ranks.pdf

Rank Metropolitan Market Regions / Areas
1 New York
2 Los Angeles
3 Chicago
4 Philadelphia
5 Dallas-Ft. Worth
6 San Francisco-Oakland-San Jose
7 Boston
8 Atlanta
9 Washington, DC
10 Houston
11 Detroit
12 Phoenix
13 Tampa-St. Petersburg
14 Seattle-Tacoma
15 Minneapolis-St. Paul
16 Miami-Ft.Lauderdale
17 Cleveland-Akron
18 Denver
19 Orlando-Daytona Beach-Melbourne
20 Sacramento-Stockton-Modesto
21 St. Louis
22 Portland, OR
23 Pittsburgh
24 Charlotte, NC
25 Indianapolis
26 Baltimore
27 Raleigh-Durham
28 San Diego
29 Nashville
30 Hartford-New Haven
31 Kansas City
32 Columbus, OH
33 Salt Lake City
34 Cincinnati
35 Milwaukee
36 Greenville-Spartanburg-Asheville-Anderson
37 San Antonio
38 West Palm Beach-Ft. Pierce
39 Grand Rapids-Kalamazoo-Battle Creek
40 Birmingham
41 Harrisburg-Lancaster-Lebanon-York
42 Las Vegas
43 Norfolk-Portsmouth-Newport News
44 Albuquerque-Santa Fe
45 Oklahoma City
46 Greensboro-High Point-Winston-Salem
47 Jacksonville, FL
48 Memphis
49 Austin
50 Louisville
51 Buffalo
52 Providence-New Bedford
53 New Orleans
54 Wilkes Barre-Scranton
55 Fresno-Visalia
56 Little Rock-Pine Bluff
57 Albany-Schenectady-Troy
58 Richmond-Petersburg
59 Knoxville
60 Mobile-Pensacola
61 Tulsa
62 Ft. Myers-Naples
63 Lexington
64 Dayton
65 Charleston-Huntington
66 Flint-Saginaw-Bay City
67 Roanoke-Lynchburg
68 Tucson
69 Wichita-Hutchinson
70 Green Bay-Appleton
71 Des Moines-Ames
72 Honolulu
73 Toledo
74 Springfield, MO
75 Spokane
76 Omaha
77 Portland-Auburn
78 Paducah-Cape Girardeau-Harrisburg
79 Columbia, SC
80 Rochester, NY
81 Syracuse
82 Huntsville-Decatur
83 Champaign-Springfield-Decatur
84 Shreveport
85 Madison
86 Chattanooga
87 Harlingen-Weslaco-Brownsville-McAllen
88 Cedar Rapids-Waterloo-Iowa City-Dubuque
89 South Bend-Elkhart
90 Jackson, MS
91 Colorado Springs-Pueblo
92 Tri-Cities, TN-NC-VA
93 Burlington-Plattsburgh
94 Waco-Temple-Bryan
95 Baton Rouge
96 Savannah
97 Davenport-Rock Island-Moline
98 El Paso
99 Charleston, SC
100 Ft. Smith-Fayetteville-Springdale-Rogers

It'll be a sad day if/when the networks get to decide conference membership. Some claim it's already happening.

As more and more people start paying for what they want to watch instead of having to pay for whatever channels happen to be on their local cable system I think the size of a market will matter less and how many people want to watch a team play will matter more.

Boston has a larger market than the state of Alabama and the market of the state of Alabama is shared by Alabama and Auburn (and a couple smaller, insignificant programs). If Boston College, Alabama and Auburn were all available for a conference to add would any conference choose Boston College instead of those other two?

It'll be a sad day if/when the networks get to decide conference membership. Some claim it's already happening.
It all ready has. The BTN is by far the biggest TV market of any conference. In fact it has a bigger footprint than all of the rest. The SEC may have speed but we have the money so we will take their speed as time goes along.

While I acknowledge cord- cutting is an issue now, like everything in our YouTube clip society, we may be to quick with snap judgements and maybe we really need to wait to see what are the long term effects on the role of traditional TV and cable. Regarding BC, I never understand why people continuously bring up their name at least in regards to big ten expansion. As I understand it, BC has basically zero presence when it comes to capturing the Boston TV market. And has been pointed out before, they are not an AAU member nor are they a significant research institution. That may not matter to media types, but it still matters to the egghead presidents who run the big ten. Not to mention, BC doesn't really bring anything from a sports perspective unless you think hockey is that important. Their basketball program hasn't been relevant since they left the big east and their football program has been generally mediocre to bad throughout its entire history. Also, the Boston/New England demographic for college sports seems like a wasteland. Boston seems like the ultimate pro sports town. I would wonder if the big ten even cares about trying to have a presence in Boston - there's no there there for the big ten as I see it (though I will defer to Art on this). Additionally (from Art's comments), I don't think the ACC has gotten anything out of adding BC to their conference except another mouth to feed.

As more and more people start paying for what they want to watch instead of having to pay for whatever channels happen to be on their local cable system I think the size of a market will matter less and how many people want to watch a team play will matter more.

Boston has a larger market than the state of Alabama and the market of the state of Alabama is shared by Alabama and Auburn (and a couple smaller, insignificant programs). If Boston College, Alabama and Auburn were all available for a conference to add would any conference choose Boston College instead of those other two?

There's a WVU guy on twitter named MHver that posts a lot about realignment, and claims to talk to Big12 and ACC insiders. Also posts a lot about the B1G, but claims he's been warned to cool it or face legal action. Anyway, MHver claims that UConn and Cincy to the Big12 may happen as early as this summer, and that ACC schools are waiting to see what (if anything) happens with an ACC network. He claims that the prospects of an ACC network with ESPN aren't looking good, and that the ACC may crumble as schools go to greener pastures. He's been linking the B1G with UVA, UNC, Duke and GT, with FSU maybe in play also. One very interesting recent post was that the ACC went after some B1G schools last fall.

When someone can provide a rational explaination as to how a "16 or 20 member football conference" is actually a "conference"........let me know

UConn would be a good move for either B12 or ACC, heck it would be a good move for B1G if more seats were available but B1G waits for bigger fish. Duke is not something the B1G will ever do. One of the state schools from either ACC or B12 jumps and they'll be major movement. B12 should go after BYU and UConn, forget Cincy.

When someone can provide a rational explaination as to how a "16 or 20 member football conference" is actually a "conference"........let me know

Think about it, with BC, UVA, UNC, Duke and say Va Tech in the fold, discounting the West Coast, the Big Ten would own the largest and most affluent footprint of any conference. They could operate two nine or ten team divisions depending on final number. One would be roughly equivalent to a traditional Big Ten which would certainly satisfy the league and give its two preferred schools the benefit of the doubt they feel they are entitled to while the newer schools could form's something close to Joe's East Coast Conference. Play 9 in division games, two or three cross division games and leave open a single OOC spot.

Reactions: Ranger Dan
After a flurry of realignment I think everything is in limbo now while people wait to see where this is all trending.

Originally it was add a big name team (FSU, Nebraska). Then it became more about the number of TV sets rather than big impact team people want to see (ie Rutgers, Maryland, Mizzou). Add into the mix some desperation moves (WVU to big 12). Now I think people are waiting to see where the money is based at- getting population centers or getting teams/ match ups people actually want to see.

The ACC is in limbo with their TV deal but I do not see Duke or Carolina ever leaving the set up they have there WRT scheduling, conference control, and home court through the sweet 16. Clemson and FSU are the 2 I could see leaving someday from there as its like the football/ basketball issue with the old big east.

As we see attendance drop around the country I think we will see the focus shift to conferences with match ups people want to see get the exposure/ money more than conferences with bad match ups most of the time (Sec vs ACC, big 12, or big ten).

Over the next few decades I think the moves won't be conference to conference but the formation of new conferences for the big name schools. We've already seen the split into D1, D1a etc, and now to P5 vs non P5. That trend will continue as the P5 gets whittled down to drop the Vandy, Indiana, Purdue, Minnesota, Wake Forest types.

Last edited:
Think about it, with BC, UVA, UNC, Duke and say Va Tech in the fold, discounting the West Coast, the Big Ten would own the largest and most affluent footprint of any conference. They could operate two nine or ten team divisions depending on final number. One would be roughly equivalent to a traditional Big Ten which would certainly satisfy the league and give its two preferred schools the benefit of the doubt they feel they are entitled to while the newer schools could form's something close to Joe's East Coast Conference. Play 9 in division games, two or three cross division games and leave open a single OOC spot.
No offense - and after Big Brain Delaney added Rutgers, something like that might appeal to him. o_O

But that could be one of the dumbest scenarios ever devised

There's a WVU guy on twitter named MHver that posts a lot about realignment, and claims to talk to Big12 and ACC insiders. Also posts a lot about the B1G, but claims he's been warned to cool it or face legal action. Anyway, MHver claims that UConn and Cincy to the Big12 may happen as early as this summer, and that ACC schools are waiting to see what (if anything) happens with an ACC network. He claims that the prospects of an ACC network with ESPN aren't looking good, and that the ACC may crumble as schools go to greener pastures. He's been linking the B1G with UVA, UNC, Duke and GT, with FSU maybe in play also. One very interesting recent post was that the ACC went after some B1G schools last fall.

Way off IMO. First any WVU guy is an idiot. WVU is a joke to expansion and they are very insecure because they should be. The Big10 footprint and the ACC Footprint are the two most fertile. The Big 12 has 3 or 4 programs that would even draw expansion interest, I just don't see the Big 12 as anything other than Oklahoma and Texas. To me it is by far the most regional brand of all conferences. There is nothing national about any of those programs other than Oklahoma and Texas.

After a flurry of realignment I think everything is in limbo now while people wait to see where this is all trending.

Originally it was add a big name team (FSU, Nebraska). Then it became more about the number of TV sets rather than big impact team people want to see (ie Rutgers, Maryland, Mizzou). Add into the mix some desperation moves (WVU to big 12). Now I think people are waiting to see where the money is based at- getting population centers or getting teams/ match ups people actually want to see.

The ACC is in limbo with their TV deal but I do not see Duke or Carolina ever leaving the set up they have there WRT scheduling, conference control, and home court through the sweet 16. Clemson and FSU are the 2 I could see leaving someday from there as its like the football/ basketball issue with the old big east.

As we see attendance drop around the country I think we will see the focus shift to conferences with match ups people want to see get the exposure/ money more than conferences with bad match ups most of the time (Sec vs ACC, big 12, or big ten).

Over the next few decades I think the moves won't be conference to conference but the formation of new conferences for the big name schools. We've already seen the split into D1, D1a etc, and now to P5 vs non P5. That trend will continue as the P5 gets whittled down to drop the Vandy, Indiana, Purdue, Minnesota, Wake Forest types.
Minnesota and Indiana have chairs in the final 64 whereas folks like Purdue, Vndy, Wake, Duke, Northwestern may have some reason to worry.

Way off IMO. First any WVU guy is an idiot. WVU is a joke to expansion and they are very insecure because they should be. The Big10 footprint and the ACC Footprint are the two most fertile. The Big 12 has 3 or 4 programs that would even draw expansion interest, I just don't see the Big 12 as anything other than Oklahoma and Texas. To me it is by far the most regional brand of all conferences. There is nothing national about any of those programs other than Oklahoma and Texas.
West Virginia is not a joke to expansion, they have a good fan base and decent national interest. They aren't SEC or B1G material but are worthy of a place in whatever 16 team conference is formed by ACC and B12 schools as the third non-PAC power four conference.

Last edited:
No offense - and after Big Brain Delaney added Rutgers, something like that might appeal to him. o_O

But that could be one of the dumbest scenarios ever devised

Why? It fits the way realignment has worked to date. It is logical.

And by the way, Rutgers was added so that the Big Ten could bring its marquee products (Penn State, Michigan and Ohio State) to the New York market on a semi regular basis.

West Virginia is not a joke to expansion, they have a good fan base and decent national interest. They aren't SEC or B1G material but are worthy of a place in whatever 16 team conference is formed by ACC and B1G schools as the third non-PAC power four conference.

Does their embarrassing academic reputation mean anything to you? Really they were out in the cold until the Big 12 was forced to expend. WVU is not Big 10 or ACC material. Embrace it and deal with it. Not the end of the world.

Minnesota and Indiana have chairs in the final 64 whereas folks like Purdue, Vndy, Wake, Duke, Northwestern may have some reason to worry.

I think Duke's basketball program will always keep them safe. Vandy and Northwestern are the two that don't make sense to me.

Respectfully disagree regarding Purdue. As a state school in Indiana, it's on the same footing as IU. It also has an excellent engineering department. What happens with the private schools will be interesting. Since many fans simply cheer for their state school there may not be a huge outcry in support of the private universities. Well, unless you're in Texas where people are a bit out in left field.

Notre Dame has to land somewhere. They can't stay independent (arrogant) for ever. Even though I hate them which actually may be good, they belong in the Big Ten. The Boston Market is up for grabs. The only team I can imagine from there is BC and while they don't fit the mold they are a bit like Northwestern.

The other big money program is Texas. My guess is that it would be a big fight between the SEC and BT.

The SEC is a great conference but our TV markets are bigger which means more money. If you look at where the PSU grads go and the Michigan grads go NY will continue to grow to be a BT market which will have a larger impact than adding Rutgers. The Maryland add sort of gives you the DC market but not fully.

So the last two seats in my opinion have 4 candidates: ND, Texas, BC and UVA. Beyond that we would have to cut out teams like Indiana and Purdue which I would not count on but possible. I would guess that Texas will be tough and a bit remote so I think BC and UVA and then possibly swap ND for Purdue if the deal can be put together.

2 of 3 Tier one cities (NY, Chi), 3 of 6 Tier 3 cities (Boston, DC, Phila) and three or four teams with national appeal (PSU, MI, OSU, ND). Now that's a lot of money!
Good comments NICNEM_PSU80,
Enjoyed your perspective.

Remember to include Nebraska. It had had very big national following, in the top 5 or so IIRC.

That news surprised a lot of people, when it came out as they joined the Big Ten. Besides their winning tradition, they had historically been one of the only "big name" schools or sports teams in multiple states in the Midwest/ Mountain region.

Collectively they had perhaps some 3.5 million followers. Many were said to be much more loyal than fans in many big cities, were college and professional loyalties could split the population.

Fill in whatever the current numbers are, but at one time, apparently Nebraska delivered a lot of punch with TV revenue.

IIRC, when they entered the Big Ten, both Penn State and Nebraska were Top 5 in ratings, ahead of every B1G team, including both Mich and tOSU.

Times change and both PSU and Neb may have lost some fans from the Baby Boomers and The Greatest Generation who have passed on. Younger folks may not remember their dominant years.

Just adding that Nebraska should be considered in the mix. They may have one of the larger followings in the conference, spread over multiple states. .

I think Duke's basketball program will always keep them safe. Vandy and Northwestern are the two that don't make sense to me.

It may not be the same schools in football and basketball when all is said and done IMO. I could see a decade from now the tier 1 football teams of......(not Indiana, Kentucky, Minny, etc) while the tier 1 (or whatever they call it) in basketball does include Kentucky and Indiana etc. Maybe a relegation type system like in European soccer?

Reactions: NedFromYork
OK 43 let's hear the hillbilly jokes about WVU,we've heard them all but fire away!!!!I guess that's why you say we're an embarrassment because we're not on the same level as PSU in football and basketball?If we're an embarrassment to the Big12 what is Louisville,Sycacuse and NC to the ACC academically speaking???And please let's not start crap about embarrassing a school and a conference unless your school is a picture perfect institution which I really don't think PSU is!

It may not be the same schools in football and basketball when all is said and done IMO. I could see a decade from now the tier 1 football teams of......(not Indiana, Kentucky, Minny, etc) while the tier 1 (or whatever they call it) in basketball does include Kentucky and Indiana etc. Maybe a relegation type system like in European soccer?
But what do you do with the school's good in both?

Football drives the bus, but don't think for a minute that basketball isn't big revenue as well. If the P5 (or whatever is left) break away from the NCAA, I suspect it's in all sports. Too much money and good bball teams in the P5 conferences to let the NCAA keep that business.

I suspect they basically start their own version of the NCAA, for P5 conferences, with a less convoluted rule book. The NCAA survives for lower conferences, although their moneymaker is the bball tourney which will take a huge hit.

I could see them going after s Florida school - maybe UCF to gain a foothold there. UConn UVA BC plus BYU and something in Texas to round up to 20. This gives then New England, Florida, and Texas - all major tv markets.

West Virginia is not a joke to expansion, they have a good fan base and decent national interest. They aren't SEC or B1G material but are worthy of a place in whatever 16 team conference is formed by ACC and B12 schools as the third non-PAC power four conference.

From a sporting perspective, ok. From a media/money perspective? Perhaps not.

Lurker and Blue sorry I wasn't an English Major but my degrees aren't from WVU so don't downgrade them!I didn't know you needed perfect grammar on a message board so I'll try harder in that area.I just get sick and tired of the WVU jokes.Especially when they come from a fan from a school that has been a hot topic in the media for four years.Oh and by the way I am a huge PSU football fan so I guess I'm an embarrassment to PSU and WVU.Too bad I'm not a Pitt fan too then I could be an embarrassment to all three.Must be nice to be perfect guys but I'm not,sorry!

First of all, the theory that FBS Football is moving to 4 or 5 large, geographically & regionally based "Super Conferences" of ~60 teams from it's current structure of Major and Mid-Major Conferences +Independents - e.g., would cut the top level of Major College Football in half - is not new or novel by any means. The theory has been put forth since PSU moved to the b1g shiz-hole back in the early 1990s. The halving of the Major College Football universe due to budgetary constraints and the exorbitant costs of sponsoring a program (and the vast majority of teams operating well into red figures annually) is nothing new either - this happened approximately 50 years ago when Major College Football was cleaved in two into Division IA and Diversion IAA . Essentially, there always has to be winners and losers in the system -- you can't have "traditional powers" that average 70%+ winning percentages without having equally "traditional patsies" that average sub-.500 winning percentages across time - this ranking of DIA teams by winning percentage over the last 50 years is quite instructive in this regard (note, this listing only includes teams that are currently playing, and have played, at the highest level of collegiate football, the so-called "Major College Level" which is currently "DIA", for 75% or more of the 50 seasons e.g., 38 or more seasons):

By-the-by, PSU is #5 with 439 wins over the period and a Winning % of .73173 with only tO$U, UNL, OU and Bama in front of them from 1 to 4 respectively (and there is not all that much separating the top programs in terms of winning) -- as I'm sure there are many on here wondering where perennial National Title Holder ASWP falls.....they came in at #54 over the period barely over .500 with a 304-272-8 (.52740) record.

The reality is that "Major College Football" has been cannibalizing itself for better than 50 years - again, there has to be traditional "haves" and "have nots", that is just the nature of a "competitive system" (e.g., the so-called "80/20 Rule" in statistics - the top 20% will typically account for 80% of the production....capitalism, education, or any other competitive endeavor being a good example). In other words, it is likely that the universe will keep shrinking as you shrink the Universe because when you have the Universe you are making the second half of the new Universe, the new "have nots", the "haves" at the top do not change. The only thing that is different this time around are the proposals for the entire "new Universe" to effectively "revenue share" such that it really does not matter who wins - other than a trophy. In other words, the vast majority of the financial reward for winning the title is removed and everybody - the "haves" and "have nots" - make essentially the same amount off the system (attendance, media contracts, broadcast rights, etc....so forth and so on) for providing the "content" (e.g., athletes, teams and games).....the "haves" subsidize the "have nots". Assuming 1/60th of this entire pie is sufficient to sustain expenses (which are huge with stadium & infrastructure costs, coaching and Athletic Department salaries, overhead, conference "slice" expenses, etc...) for a program with something left over to provide an incentive for the sponsoring school, I suppose this model might be stable.

However, the reality is that there are NOWHERE close to 60 schools operating in the Black in regards to Major College Football right now under the current system -- this tells me that there is still consolidation to come even if Major College Football went to 60 teams organized in 4 or 5 team regionally-based mega-conferences. The numbers suggest that this is nowhere close to a "stable platform" even with full revenue-sharing across the 60-team revised universe. The stable platform according to current numbers and programs operating in the Black is half-again that universe (30 teams) and even that is pushing it. There is a ton of consolidation coming in regards to over-spending DIA Athletic Departments relative to sponsoring football - Major College Football is going to continue to consolidate because 90% of the current universe cannot afford to operate perpetually in the red to the tune of completely obliterating their Athletic Department budgets. At the rate the rate traditional powers and the largest revenue generators are OVER-SPENDING relative to cumulative revenue growth, which is not very good and some would argue is actually shrinking, the entire system may not survive because there is no money to be made at these levels especially if you start paying players significant amounts of money which is very likely to happen due to the hypocrisy of the NCAA "stakeholders" such as Presidents, AD's, Coaches, etc... who are making multi-million $$$ annually with absurd long-term contracts and golden parachutes while the kids providing all the labor and content make virtually nothing relative to these self-serving, narcissistic, morally-debased hypocrites.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT