ADVERTISEMENT

Nextstar and Direct Tv

vacationdoctor

Gold Member
Oct 25, 2004
So, I was looking at the schedule. I am not sure if anybody has noticed or if this has already been discussed. I currently use direct tv stream, formerly att now, formerly direct tv now as my streaming cable provider. Direct tv (among others) is currently in a war with Nextstar which is I guess a parent company of many affiliates. Long story short, I currenty do not get NBC. Many other don't either. The schedule this year is very different TV wise. Our first game is on NBC and our second game is on Peacock. Now, here is where it gets wierd. Peacock is Nbc's app but it does not get all the live NBC stuff even if you pay for it. So, WVU will not be on peacock (I believe) and deleware will not be on NBC. I am thinking about doing a free trial to youtubetv for the wvu game and doing a free trial of peacock for the deleware game. Any ideas? I do not want to switch providers because I am grandfathered into a very solid plan. What a clusterfuk lol

So, I was looking at the schedule. I am not sure if anybody has noticed or if this has already been discussed. I currently use direct tv stream, formerly att now, formerly direct tv now as my streaming cable provider. Direct tv (among others) is currently in a war with Nextstar which is I guess a parent company of many affiliates. Long story short, I currenty do not get NBC. Many other don't either. The schedule this year is very different TV wise. Our first game is on NBC and our second game is on Peacock. Now, here is where it gets wierd. Peacock is Nbc's app but it does not get all the live NBC stuff even if you pay for it. So, WVU will not be on peacock (I believe) and deleware will not be on NBC. I am thinking about doing a free trial to youtubetv for the wvu game and doing a free trial of peacock for the deleware game. Any ideas? I do not want to switch providers because I am grandfathered into a very solid plan. What a clusterfuk lol
Ya its a clusterfuk for sure. Fox is out for me.

The WVU game and all Big Ten (and Notre Dame) games on NBC are also all carried live on Peacock. Some Big Ten games (like PSU/Delaware) are exclusive to Peacock streaming. But you should be able to watch both the WVU and Delaware games by subscribing to Peacock.

Reactions: lazydave841
As a potential fallback, contact sports bars in your area. Many carry every channel imaginable. You can watch ant wrestling in Mongolia in some of these places. But make sure you speak with the manager or the person operating the equipment to make sure they carry what you want. Or you could just spring for the subscription, it’s cheaper than drinking at the bar.

Reactions: step.eng69
It's strange that Directv Stream isn't currently carrying NBC while Directv (Sat) is not currently carrying Fox.

I have direct TV and get NBC. I'm not sure why you don't. Does it have to do with the local NBC affiliate?

The WVU game and all Big Ten (and Notre Dame) games on NBC are also all carried live on Peacock. Some Big Ten games (like PSU/Delaware) are exclusive to Peacock streaming. But you should be able to watch both the WVU and Delaware games by subscribing to Peacock.
That would be great if it was true for college football. I know it is not for nfl. There was a game on nbc the other day.... I think it was the lions game. I could not see it on nbc (obviously), but also it was not available on peacock either even for paying subscribers. If peacock has a deal with college football and I can see wvu, del, and mich st games on peacock that would be an easy fix for me. Thanks for the tip.

I have regular directv and have an older receiver on hand that I can plug an antenna into and get seemless locals over the air in addition to the locals directv carries. A simple short term option might be to plug a simple antenna into your TV. If you want to pause TV then just buy a cheap antenna/dvr tuner for less than $50. A slightly nicer option would be to buy something like dvr that can both stream and plug an antenna into it.

So, I just updated my apps on my phone and the peacock app updated. As soon as I opened it there was a promo for 1.99/month for the first 2 months and 5.99/month after that. You can cancel anytime. I looks as if the nbc games will also be on peacock like a previous poster had said. That 1.99 will cover both the wvu and del games so..... I guess we will see what happens.

I have direct TV and get NBC. I'm not sure why you don't. Does it have to do with the local NBC affiliate?
Yeah, Nextstar is a group of 150+ stations with VArious network affiliations. In my area of NC, it's a Fox station that's down. Seems like a too long battle, maybe 2 months or so, and still going on.

Reactions: SLUPSU
Yeah, Nextstar is a group of 150+ stations with VArious network affiliations. In my area of NC, it's a Fox station that's down. Seems like a too long battle, maybe 2 months or so, and still going on.

These things have a way of going right up until the games start and then getting an agreement.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT