ADVERTISEMENT

Nice post from Johnny DeJulius' dad on ohiowrestling

Chickenman Testa

Jan 4, 2003
"John DiJulius added to this discussion on February 4, 2017

If you can be objective and not a fan of tOSU for a moment, you have to respect PSU. They bring it. In your face, attacking, trying to score points the entire 7 minutes, from every positions. They attack you on their feet. They don't try to escape from bottom, they try to put you on your back from bottom. Every wrestler wrestles with the same Penn State brand/personality. So much better and more entertaining then the Iowa style, that was just in your face, pushing you around the entire match. It starts with recruiting, but they are doing something in that room that produces that style and personality. It is impressive."

That about says it all. We are lucky as fans.

Very nice and in step with what ryan had to say post match.

The devil in me wants to know what Mr. Martin has to say.

You know, I've been wondering why I haven't heard much about Mr. Martin this season -- don't known if it's because he's been quiet, or because The PD2-PD3 Sideshow annihilates all competition.

I'm almost certain Mr DiJulius has made posts in the past about PSU wrestling and giving respect. It's certainly nice to see! And yes, we are very fortunate.

If you can be objective and not a fan of tOSU for a moment, you have to respect PSU. They bring it. In your face, attacking, trying to score points the entire 7 minutes, from every positions. They attack you on their feet. They don't try to escape from bottom, they try to put you on your back from bottom. Every wrestler wrestles with the same Penn State brand/personality. So much better and more entertaining then the Iowa style, that was just in your face, pushing you around the entire match. It starts with recruiting, but they are doing something in that room that produces that style and personality. It is impressive."

As Chickman knows and everyone here who is a purist Penn State fan can clearly and succinctly express... it's EXTREMELY HARD to watch any other team wrestle. It just is. I record other teams matches on BTN and I end up deleting a third or half way through the 125 match knowing I'm going to get a lot more of where that stagnant, no shooting, shove fest came from.

REASON: I'm a spoiled Penn State wrestling brat. Ruined by exquisite, virtuoso wrestling performances. No other wrestling will do for me. It's like watching pink paint dry in the Iowa visitors locker room. Yeah... that bad.

Mr D is correct on all counts. It's what the nation was afraid that would happen, the day Cael was hired. Not only did the sleeping giant finally awake, but he morphed into an entirely new species of animal.

Gable himself confirmed it, when he said after the first national championship, that Cael and his staff, would change the sport.

Reactions: PAWRESTLINGFAN1
I'm THIS close to starting a new thread over on TheMat with Mr D's quote, just for the hours of comedy that would follow from the worms over there.

As Chickman knows and everyone here who is a purist Penn State fan can clearly and succinctly express... it's EXTREMELY HARD to watch any other team wrestle. It just is. I record other teams matches on BTN and I end up deleting a third or half way through the 125 match knowing I'm going to get a lot more of where that stagnant, no shooting, shove fest came from.

REASON: I'm a spoiled Penn State wrestling brat. Ruined by exquisite, virtuoso wrestling performances. No other wrestling will do for me. It's like watching pink paint dry in the Iowa visitors locker room. Yeah... that bad.
I fast forward through a lot of Big 10 wrestling in 60 - I don't want to - I feel I owe it to them

Reactions: Ski and drock1971
Check out this gem from one of the top haters EVER, "MSU158", on the Ok st dual...
He has Rogers pinning Cenzo...just comedy gold..

• Members
  • 3,546 posts
Posted Today, 08:31 AM

125:Suriano with a controlled decision 3-0PSU
133:Brock takedown clinic 5-3OkState
141:Heil wins like Heil wins8-3OkState
149:Collica is strong enough defensively to keep it to a decision without ever threatening to win. 8-6OkState
157:The matchup I was most looking forward to at the beginning of the year will now most likely be a beat down. Regression is obvious. Since it has been attributed to injury, I hope he has fully recovered and it is just a matter of getting back into 7 minute shape. 10-8PSU
165:Rogers by pin. He is a guy that doesn't seem to get phased by a bad loss. I see him rebounding in a big way. 14-10OkState.
174:I am surprised to see Crutchmer suffering so obviously from HEW. I really expected him to stand out last year and maybe the injury soured his taste a bit. 14-13OkState.
184:Boyd will be Nickal's toughest challenge to date. I don't see Nickal losing but I also don't see a major decision. 16-14 PSU.
197:Weigel in a snooze fest with just enough riding time. 17-16OkState.
285:Nevills is enough mix of big guy and athlete to take away any advantages Schafer would use against most heavyweights. 19-16PSU

I gave up my Rutgers season tickets, even though it's only 30 minutes from me. I'd rather drive 3:45 each way and see some entertaining wrestling. I've never understood why a wrestling fan would fail to respect Penn State's style and results under Cael. Just never understood it.

I have to admit Rogers is dangerous from a pinning perspective. I think Cenzo has gotten the message earlier this season about being careless against big move opponents! If he stays within himself all will end well ;)

MSU158 predicts an unlikely pin by Rogers over Cenzo, and in his prediction PSU still wins by 3.

I can't wait for 2/19.

I know Cenzo only has a small sample size compared to Rogers, but I think Rogers is more likely to get pinned seeing he has been pinned more than Cenzo and Cenzo was thrown to his back twice in the same match.

So a hater has us winning despite giving the Pokes some unrealistic advantages. Nice.

Last edited:
Here's a few more posts from that thread. Has anyone taken their teams to Penn State's wrestling camp?

-------------

Discussion Topic: Well???
Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on February 5, 2017

I don't understand how anyone who loves the sport of wrestling could not love (or at the very least respect) what Penn State does on the mat. From the moment Coach Sanderson arrived at PSU he has implemented a program of recruiting, developing talent and creating a culture that the rest of the nation can't keep up with. Coach Sanderson went there with the idea that the rich recruiting ground of Pennsylvania combined with the state's flagship university combined with his unique standing in the wrestling community would wake a sleeping giant and shift the balance of power in college wrestling. He was right.

I'm not a Penn State fan, but I watch them any time a can, because it's always great wrestling. I would argue that one of the main reasons The Schott had 15,000 people in it Friday night was because a lot of wrestling fans wanted to see the best team in the country perform.

Discussion Topic: Well???
Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on February 5, 2017

If you are a HS coach, I'd encourage you to take your team to one of their camps ... and then talk to all their wrestlers about why the love wrestlIn there. Then talk to their coaches and ask about their coaching philosophy and practice routine.

I fully realize what they are dealing with talentwise is far different than what any of us are, but the philosophy and be adjusted to meet HS needs. I did my last three years coaching -- numbers went up, enthusiasm went up, injuries went down, and my better guys developed faster. Downside was my beginners didn't improve as fast so I'd make more adjustments if I ever ran a program again, but what they do is impressive.

Reece Humphrey told me once that the most fun he ever had wrestled no was at the 2011 World Championships because Cael was on the team. He said something to the effect of, I know understand why their guys have so much fun wrestling.

Reactions: diggerpup
A poster on the Pitt board had taken their kid to one of Penn State's wrestling camps and said there were 1000 wrestlers at the camp. He used it as a comparison of the Penn State and Pitt programs. The poster was very complimentary on how the program was handled.

Reactions: Chickenman Testa
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT