ADVERTISEMENT

Riding time: put the point up on the scoreboard

Psubiomed

Jul 25, 2021
This needs to be a rule change this season. Even in freestyle they underscore the number on the score board. Wrestlers need to know the actual score on the mat. Put the point up on the board after it gets to a minute. You can take the point back off when it goes under a minute. The only thing that it takes to do this is a clock operator who isn't a complete moron.

lol then what take the point off if it goes down under a minute,that makes no sense I have said after the ride is over 1 minute give the point and put them both on their feet this will continue after every minute ride plus give the bottom guy a chance to score from their feet!

I might be ok with it posted after it is locked... but even then you will have situations where a TF is in play, the difference is 15 with the riding point locked, and they keep wrestling as the point has not been awarded yet.

I might be ok with it posted after it is locked... but even then you will have situations where a TF is in play, the difference is 15 with the riding point locked, and they keep wrestling as the point has not been awarded yet.
If that point was up on the scoreboard, Mesenbrink may have won that match. We'll never know.

This is the reason this would never and should not happen. Not only for potentially working for a pin when the difference is actually 14 points but there is also the very rare possibility of a guy losing by 14 and gets a fall when the refs may have stopped a match thinking it is over. It would also just add more to the table workers to try and figure out the riding time math when they need to be focusing on the actual timing/scoring of the match at that time.

I feel bad for Mesenbrink in that he probably didn't give up riding time in his college career before that match but he had given up 2:00 of riding time heading into the third period and started that period on bottom.

Reactions: Dogwelder
The easier fix is to do what they do in freestyle: Put an underline on the lead score to show who is ahead when they have riding time. Real simple.

This is the reason this would never and should not happen. Not only for potentially working for a pin when the difference is actually 14 points but there is also the very rare possibility of a guy losing by 14 and gets a fall when the refs may have stopped a match thinking it is over. It would also just add more to the table workers to try and figure out the riding time math when they need to be focusing on the actual timing/scoring of the match at that time.

I feel bad for Mesenbrink in that he probably didn't give up riding time in his college career before that match but he had given up 2:00 of riding time heading into the third period and started that period on bottom.
He was ridden the whole third period in an earlier match in the tournament.

Reactions: Franklinstheman
He was ridden the whole third period in an earlier match in the tournament.
That kid rides everything. He did the same to KOT. Mitchell didn't lose that match because he can't get off the bottom. He lost that match because he is a 157 pounder who wrestled up a weight for the team.

He won't lose again.

That kid rides everything. He did the same to KOT. Mitchell didn't lose that match because he can't get off the bottom. He lost that match because he is a 157 pounder who wrestled up a weight for the team.

He won't lose again.
You do realize that I was talking about the kid from Binghamton (who did not wrestle O’Toole) riding him the whole third period in the quarter finals?

You do realize that I was talking about the kid from Binghamton (who did not wrestle O’Toole) riding him the whole third period in the quarter finals?
I do. Askren mentioned in frl that Keegan did come up against him a few years ago and had a Real hard time with him being "sticky". That was my reference. If you need it I'll try to time code it for you.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT