ADVERTISEMENT

Nittany Nation, it is time

How about Illinois too?

In order to change, you need to make a change at HFC. When? ASAP.
Good point. But I expect Illinois to be put in its place in the Big Ten Championship. The West remains a joke relative to the East. Just like Iowa whenever there crossover games don't include OSU or Michigan.

Unpleasant as it is to face, face it we must: due to a confluence of events (Paterno getting too old, horrendous assistant coaching hires like his son wrecking our Ohio recruiting, the Sandusky scandal, the hiring of Urban Meyer and Larry Johnson at OSU, scholarship reductions, etc.), our beloved Penn State football program is now no longer a “blue blood”. This is reality.

We are a 2nd tier program. Sorry (very sorry), but that’s the facts. We are good, nothing more. The program, and I mean in its entirey as currently constructed, managed, and operated, will never contend for anything meaningful, such as the playoffs, the national championship, or even a conference championship. It is now a program somewhat akin to a Wisconsin, or a Maryland - capable of 8 to 9 wins, and a second level, meaningless bowl. Again, this is reality, and it is time to face it.

What is more predictable than yesterday’s result against an actual elite program? That our 6th YEAR QB would trip over his crank and have 4 turnovers? That our Head Coach would make baffling 4th down decisions? That our assistant coaches, in their “depth mania” would have 2nd and 3rd string players on defense in a very pivotal moment of the game? And finally, that PSU would lose?

It is not just the Head Coach, or the QB, or the OL - it is EVERYTHING! The PROGRAM has deteriorated over the last 10-11 years to this point. We are what we are- completely incapable of pulling off an upset, and often bad enough to be upset. Having said that, Coach Franklin has proven himself over and over of being a mirage: he is now 4-14 vs UM and OSU. His QB is 0-4 vs OSU, and could quite possibly be the worst choker in big games PSU has had in my lifetime. No one with a functioning brain had or has any confidence in him in important games - and that includes the players. He makes Anthony Morelli look good in comparison.

That’s our program, gentlemen. How do you like it?
So besides Alabama, Georgia, Clemson and Ohio State who do you consider 1st tier?

So besides Alabama, Georgia, Clemson and Ohio State who do you consider 1st tier?
Well, Clemson had two losses last year, so they’re not and Bama will likely have two this year, so they’re not….so that leaves Georgia and OSU….quite a large group.

BOB got more out of less than any other PSU coach.
Oh how we all forget the beat down on national tv to Ohio State under Obrien what was the final score 63 to 0 i think! I'll take Franklin any day over O'Brien couldn't stand him!

Unpleasant as it is to face, face it we must: due to a confluence of events (Paterno getting too old, horrendous assistant coaching hires like his son wrecking our Ohio recruiting, the Sandusky scandal, the hiring of Urban Meyer and Larry Johnson at OSU, scholarship reductions, etc.), our beloved Penn State football program is now no longer a “blue blood”. This is reality.

We are a 2nd tier program. Sorry (very sorry), but that’s the facts. We are good, nothing more. The program, and I mean in its entirey as currently constructed, managed, and operated, will never contend for anything meaningful, such as the playoffs, the national championship, or even a conference championship. It is now a program somewhat akin to a Wisconsin, or a Maryland - capable of 8 to 9 wins, and a second level, meaningless bowl. Again, this is reality, and it is time to face it.

What is more predictable than yesterday’s result against an actual elite program? That our 6th YEAR QB would trip over his crank and have 4 turnovers? That our Head Coach would make baffling 4th down decisions? That our assistant coaches, in their “depth mania” would have 2nd and 3rd string players on defense in a very pivotal moment of the game? And finally, that PSU would lose?

It is not just the Head Coach, or the QB, or the OL - it is EVERYTHING! The PROGRAM has deteriorated over the last 10-11 years to this point. We are what we are- completely incapable of pulling off an upset, and often bad enough to be upset. Having said that, Coach Franklin has proven himself over and over of being a mirage: he is now 4-14 vs UM and OSU. His QB is 0-4 vs OSU, and could quite possibly be the worst choker in big games PSU has had in my lifetime. No one with a functioning brain had or has any confidence in him in important games - and that includes the players. He makes Anthony Morelli look good in comparison.

Hate to break it to you but we haven't been a "blue blood" or "elite" team in the 26 years (since our last NC) prior to Franklin either. In that time frame, we've averaged less than 9 wins per season and have been ranked in the top ten 7 times, or 27%, and we had 4 losing seasons. Even if you count the sanction years, Franklin has had 3 out of 8 seasons in the top ten (maybe 4 of 9) and one losing season. Just to be clear, this is NOT intended to be a defense of Franklin, just an illustration of how a bunch of "fans" have a silly over-inflated perception of how "elite" we were.

Reactions: 81b&w and bytir
The PROGRAM has deteriorated over the last 10-11 years to this point.
Yes, it was much better two decades ago from 1999 to 2004 when Penn State was a real true powerhouse, that could run it off tackle for 3 yards on anyone.
It takes some real knowledge to conjure up some absolutist nonsense.
How about that Alabama program at the turn of the century too, when they went 74-61 in 11 years. I suppose they weren't a blue blood either?
Genius take!
Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

They didn't catch lightning in a bottle.
They went out and got difference makers in the portal, not ivy league linemen or undersized injury prone edge rushers.
Until the are top 5 annually they caught lightning in a bottle.

The decline in football talent in Pennsylvania is a big part of PSU's inability to challenge for the title. I remember when a top 5 recruiting class was the norm at PSU.

I like the program a lot better than your whiny entitled temper tantrum.

2003 is long ago now, but we were literally one of the worst teams in the country

and the year after it was only marginally better

so this stuff about being one of the top-tier teams is nonsense

we haven't been since Minnesota knocked us off in 1999
That's exactly right.
Anyone perpetuating otherwise doesn't understand the place and position of this football program historically.
The low point of Penn State football was from Minnesota to 2004. Forget about the off-field stuff the on-field performance based low point of this program was at the turn of the century and it isn't even close.
Penn State literally had receivers that couldn't catch and linebackers that couldn't tackle........But that wins record though, let's put that ahead of everything.

S
That's exactly right.
Anyone perpetuating otherwise doesn't understand the place and position of this football program historically.
The low point of Penn State football was from Minnesota to 2004. Forget about the off-field stuff the on-field performance based low point of this program was at the turn of the century and it isn't even close.
Penn State literally had receivers that couldn't catch and linebackers that couldn't tackle........But that wins record though, let's put that ahead of everything.
Selective memory is a scary thing. I’ve been watching PSU my whole life and I don’t seem to recall this Alabama-esque annual domination that some others seem to remember.

Reactions: DUNNELLONFLBUCK
ADVERTISEMENT