ADVERTISEMENT

"Not getting bored with success."

tboyer

Sep 25, 2002
Kind of a philosophical thing but this is a big part of PSU's offense this year. Yurcich is game planning and if the game plan works, they stay with it. They threw 3-5 yard passes against Iowa ALL GAME and never got away from it. You also saw that kind of patience against Ill. The degree of self-control by Yurcich and Allar is impressive.

If it were 3-4 years ago, once they got up 10, Rahne and Clifford would have been heaving bombs -- which would have meant interceptions or at very least incompletions and ending up having to punt. It would have allowed Iowa back into the game. This time there was a certain ruthlessness to it. If Iowa wasn't going to change their D (and they never do, ever) then PSU was going to keep pounding away with the same plays all game and racking up 1st downs.

Franklin at his post-game presser said he's been having discussions with Yurcich about "not getting bored with success." That's a great way to put it. If you can dink and dunk Iowa to death and win 31-0, if you can keep throwing little screens to Theo Johnson for 6 yards every single time, why not do it all game? If you can keep handing the ball to Allen and Singleton for 3-4 yards a play, just do it.

I personally love that kind of football and it's how you win at the highest levels. Yeah they will have to use the whole field against Ohio State and Michigan but against the Iowa D this is how you beat them, especially with a defense that could completely shut them down.

This came up on the Audrey Snyder/John Sauber podcast here. They do a nice job. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3347bJ36vd-P3F1Iycb_Sg

Really good post, man, I totally agree. For whatever reason Frankin has gotten away from his obsession with "explosives." To your point, when we have been our most explosive we have also been our most susceptible to turnovers and sacks(the time needed to get WRs down the field). Also, it seems like its been really hard to be "both" explosive and tough/good on 3rd and 4th and short. We spent years pulling our hair out on this board about the total refusal to put the QB under center on short yardage. We lost big games because the QB's and Backs were 7 yards in the backfield needing 1 yard. As Michigan has proven, you can really win in this league by keeping possesion, taking care of the ball, and being physical on the line. Explosive plays will come, but I see this as major growth from Franklin. You just aren't a high level team if you can't convert short yardage situations to salt the clock or put the game away. I still do believe the deep shots are coming....but it is good knowing we can line up and win in an old school way. The staff did visit the Patriots this offseason and that is an organization that has had dynastic success with running the ball, limiting penalties/turnovers, and utilizing tight ends and the short passing game.

Kind of a philosophical thing but this is a big part of PSU's offense this year. Yurcich is game planning and if the game plan works, they stay with it. They threw 3-5 yard passes against Iowa ALL GAME and never got away from it. You also saw that kind of patience against Ill. The degree of self-control by Yurcich and Allar is impressive.

If it were 3-4 years ago, once they got up 10, Rahne and Clifford would have been heaving bombs -- which would have meant interceptions or at very least incompletions and ending up having to punt. It would have allowed Iowa back into the game. This time there was a certain ruthlessness to it. If Iowa wasn't going to change their D (and they never do, ever) then PSU was going to keep pounding away with the same plays all game and racking up 1st downs.

Franklin at his post-game presser said he's been having discussions with Yurcich about "not getting bored with success." That's a great way to put it. If you can dink and dunk Iowa to death and win 31-0, if you can keep throwing little screens to Theo Johnson for 6 yards every single time, why not do it all game? If you can keep handing the ball to Allen and Singleton for 3-4 yards a play, just do it.

I personally love that kind of football and it's how you win at the highest levels. Yeah they will have to use the whole field against Ohio State and Michigan but against the Iowa D this is how you beat them, especially with a defense that could completely shut them down.

This came up on the Audrey Snyder/John Sauber podcast here. They do a nice job. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3347bJ36vd-P3F1Iycb_Sg
How much is not wanting to put too much pressure on 1st year starter Allar and how much was due to concerns about turning the ball over on a wet field?

Earlier in the week Franklin was asked about struggles with the run game and he said we needi to throw over the top to stop defenders from crowding the LOS.

Reactions: tboyer
How much is not wanting to put too much pressure on 1st year starter Allar and how much was due to concerns about turning the ball over on a wet field?

Earlier in the week Franklin was asked about struggles with the run game and he said we needi to throw over the top to stop defenders from crowding the LOS.
They still need to do more to stretch the field because there are too many defenders in the box. Like I posted previously, they have to have more trust in this qb. I know that it's a fine line because of his lack of experience, but almost every play right now is designed to be run no more than 10 or at most 15 yards past the line of scrimmage.

Also, the Cowboys yesterday are the perfect example of becoming "bored with success, " and I hope that the staff does things this week so that this team won't do that on Saturday.

Great post. PSU, any many others, use "iron sharpens iron" as a mantra. It is true, competition is what makes everything improve. Gordon Gecko was right but we aren't supposed to talk about that.

Regardless, I always laugh when I hear a coach talk about who is going to start. The Browns said "it is so and so's position now" when Chubb got injured. Why? Say that it is a competitive world and that person who does best in practice, and then performs on Sunday, will get the most reps. Nothing is earned in advance. It is about production, period. Win, lose or draw, if the guy behind you is forcing you to extend yourself to keep your position, all good.

So to your post, I suggest PSU continues to hammer home the fact that those who perform will play. And that includes coaches. Coaches, position performance, needs to be graded each week.

Also to your post, this is why I posted about how impressed I am with Allar. He took what Iowa gave him on a challenging weather night when one wanted to excite the white out crowd with fireworks on offense. Instead, he made smart decisions and the OC pounded the running game 3/4 yards at a time.

So who is teaching whom? Was it Yurcich that said don’t get bored with success? After all Franklin was obsessed with explosive plays. He talked about them often, called offenses to get them. Maybe it is Yurcich that has brought patience to the offense.

Weather, Iowa’s style of defense, still unproven receivers all may have played a role in play selection. But we haven’t thrown many deep balls all season.

Its always wise to attack a defense at it weakest point. Never wise to force plays that aren’t there.

Reactions: tboyer

When you (they) can execute, “ don’t fix it if it ain’t broke” . The game’s 60 minutes, regardless of method you choose to win it. — We’re fortunate enough to have a legitimate “Swiss Army Knife” type team with many dangerous weapons. If one is working…. Use it till they stop you. Sometimes it ain’t pretty, but it’s always effective.

Also, the Cowboys yesterday are the perfect example of becoming "bored with success, " and I hope that the staff does things this week so that this team won't do that on Saturday.

Funny you should mention the Cowboys, as I was thinking of the 70's era Cowboys as a good example of what tboyer was taking about. Against the lesser teams, they would rely on their running game and Tony Dorset, against the good teams, they would count on Rodger Staubach to win games for them. I think we'll see this with Penn State, Drew will be asked to win a game for them against OSU or UM, and we will see if he can do it. In the meantime, the team is going to use intelligence and its supporting cast to make sure they don't lose any games they are supposed to win.

So who is teaching whom? Was it Yurcich that said don’t get bored with success? After all Franklin was obsessed with explosive plays. He talked about them often, called offenses to get them. Maybe it is Yurcich that has brought patience to the offense.

Weather, Iowa’s style of defense, still unproven receivers all may have played a role in play selection. But we haven’t thrown many deep balls all season.

Its always wise to attack a defense at it weakest point. Never wise to force plays that aren’t there.

Agree with a lot of what's been posted. Allar makes this kind of offense possible because he is so consistent and accurate and he can get the ball to the sideline so quickly.

And the other big thing is that PSU has some DUDES on the OL. Fashanu everybody knows about but Nourzad and Nelson and sometimes Wallace were just LEVELING people. Maybe Iowa isn't a top 10 defense this year but that is a quality front 7 and yes they had to be tired, but still, I haven't seen PSU dominate a quality D-front -- I can't even remember the last time. Maybe 2012? Maybe 2008?

Franklin did emphasize explosive plays (and he probably still does) but face it, PSU for a lot of years has had to depend on explosive plays because they couldn't grind it out like they can this year.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT