ADVERTISEMENT

Caitlin Clark

It's tough though because she's a great passer and they have a couple bigs that shoot a high percentage. UConn also might have someone that can do a better job staying with her. Should be interesting.
Agree. LSU elected to single-cover her due to her passing once she penetrated. So the defender kind of laid off of her which allowed her to get her shot off. Putting a defender in her face will cut down on her set shots but will expose them to the pass once the bigs leave their assignment to pick her up in the paint. Paige Bueckners is about the same size as Caitlin and is UConn's star. Geno will have a better game plan than LSU had, with a week to prepare, so that will be fun to watch. Also, using your star to defend can lessen her offensive energy and output.

As I said before, she's really only 6 feet tall and doesn't have a jump shot. She shoots as she jumps. She doesn't shoot at the top of her jump the way the men do. That means her shot is easier to block and defend. I'd have someone in her face from half court in. That will make the defender play defense while on offense. In other words, she won't be able to penetrate and go low. She'll have to stay in the backcourt on offense in order to pick up Caitlin as she crosses half court after the change of possession. Then I'd be in her face to do two things. The first is to make her expend energy and be focused on just getting open. If she beats the defender, the defense will have to sag to pick her up. they'll end up playing a zone but this is confusing depending upon where the defenders are when Caitlin first breaks down her defender. And that is where Geno's superior coaching will have an effect.

UConn's calling card, beyond Geno's coaching, is depth as they recruit really well. we may see Geno throw bodies at Caitlin all game to try and wear her out.

Will be a fun game to watch just for the strategy. The best coach in the history of women's BBall versus the GOAT player.

Reactions: LandoComando
I was one of those for about 5 minutes. She is a fantastic player. Unfortunately for me the game is too slow to hold my attention. If my daughter had played collegiate basketball instead of golf, maybe my opinion would be different. I enjoy the LPGA and attend LPGA events and some collegiate events for that reason. Hopefully these new fans will support her and the WNBA with their viewership moving forward.
I don't understand what you mean by too slow for the Iowa/LSU game. The final score was 94-87.

I don't understand what you mean by too slow for the Iowa/LSU game. The final score was 94-87.
The lack of speed and athleticism. Without those, it is much easier to score. Screening is more effective, help and recover is slower, closeouts are slower, easier to score in transition. Lack of speed and athleticism affects defense far more than offense. Now if the offense relies on just their speed and athleticism to score, then that is a different story. That is why I said they have to be more “pure” as someone else said.

Last edited:
Reactions: bourbon n blues
Having coached men’s’ at both the high school and college levels, I have watched hundreds of women’s games.
Doesn't alter the pace of the game and you have to stop comparing it to the men's game.
Just like all women's sports--it basically a different sport.
See tennis, hockey, etc.
In no way was the game "slow"

Reactions: Obliviax
Doesn't alter the pace of the game and you have to stop comparing it to the men's game.
Just like all women's sports--it basically a different sport.
See tennis, hockey, etc.
In no way was the game "slow"
Agreed. In many sports, to me, the women's game is preferred. For example Volleyball, Tennis and gymnastics. The men's version is more about athleticism than the mechanics of the game. Golf is approaching that as the name of the game, now, is driving distance off the tee.

Agreed. She is incredibly talented. The womens game is much more pure than the men’s game. The men’s game is so much more about pure athleticism.
I remember a PSU-OSU women's game back in the 90's where, IIRC, both teams shot 100% from the line. No reason with all that athleticism, and money 💰 💰 💵 and practice time, the guys can't shoot 80%!!!!

I remember a PSU-OSU women's game back in the 90's where, IIRC, both teams shot 100% from the line. No reason with all that athleticism, and money 💰 💰 💵 and practice time, the guys can't shoot 80%!!!!
Why 80%? Foul shooting is pretty darn good today, and it's not close to 80%. NBA FT% has never been at 80%. Guys can practice all they want...it doesn't suddenly make them 80% FT shooters.

Reactions: wilbury
Why 80%? Foul shooting is pretty darn good today, and it's not close to 80%. NBA FT% has never been at 80%. Guys can practice all they want...it doesn't suddenly make them 80% FT shooters.
But they don't practice it enough...just "all they want"

Agree. LSU elected to single-cover her due to her passing once she penetrated. So the defender kind of laid off of her which allowed her to get her shot off. Putting a defender in her face will cut down on her set shots but will expose them to the pass once the bigs leave their assignment to pick her up in the paint. Paige Bueckners is about the same size as Caitlin and is UConn's star. Geno will have a better game plan than LSU had, with a week to prepare, so that will be fun to watch. Also, using your star to defend can lessen her offensive energy and output.

As I said before, she's really only 6 feet tall and doesn't have a jump shot. She shoots as she jumps. She doesn't shoot at the top of her jump the way the men do. That means her shot is easier to block and defend. I'd have someone in her face from half court in. That will make the defender play defense while on offense. In other words, she won't be able to penetrate and go low. She'll have to stay in the backcourt on offense in order to pick up Caitlin as she crosses half court after the change of possession. Then I'd be in her face to do two things. The first is to make her expend energy and be focused on just getting open. If she beats the defender, the defense will have to sag to pick her up. they'll end up playing a zone but this is confusing depending upon where the defenders are when Caitlin first breaks down her defender. And that is where Geno's superior coaching will have an effect.

UConn's calling card, beyond Geno's coaching, is depth as they recruit really well. we may see Geno throw bodies at Caitlin all game to try and wear her out.

Will be a fun game to watch just for the strategy. The best coach in the history of women's BBall versus the GOAT player.
Straight from Geno: The other coaches that made an effort to stop Clark aren’t in the tourney anymore.

He plans to stop everyone else.

What is the average difference in foul shooting % for D1 men vs D1 women?

Statistics say the women are better than the men by about 3%. With the amount of money in the men's game, wouldn't you think with all that superior athleticism, these guys could raise those averages?

If I was making all that money, I would make it a point to improve my shooting %.

If I was making all that money, I would make it a point to improve my shooting %.
Why settle for 80% then? Shouldn't everyone practice enough so that they improve to the point that everyone is a 100% FT shooter?

Free Throw shooting is better than it's ever been.

It's usually a little bit higher on the men's side.
Don’t truly know but I thought I saw somewhere D1 women around 74% while D1 men 71%. So statistically not much of a difference. I’m waiting for the NBA to have a designated foul shooter so I can come out of retirement.

Why settle for 80% then? Shouldn't everyone practice enough so that they improve to the point that everyone is a 100% FT shooter?

Free Throw shooting is better than it's ever been.
I don't know if even the best can reach perfection? I'm just expecting improvement... is there anything more frustrating than watching some of these guys missing foul shots, esp at big moments of the game?

Statistics say the women are better than the men by about 3%. With the amount of money in the men's game, wouldn't you think with all that superior athleticism, these guys could raise those averages?
Where are you getting your data? Men's FT% has been higher than women's FT% at the D1 level consistently year after year (including this season). This year, it's 71.9% vs 71.3%.

I don't know if even the best can reach perfection? I'm just expecting improvement... is there anything more frustrating than watching some of these guys missing foul shots, esp at big moments of the game?
And FT% improves year after year, so there is improvement that you're not seeing.

Don’t truly know but I thought I saw somewhere D1 women around 74% while D1 men 71%. So statistically not much of a difference. I’m waiting for the NBA to have a designated foul shooter so I can come out of retirement.
As of Monday night's games, D1 women have made 130,690 out of 183,297 FTs this season (translating to 71.3%).

Reactions: ikS and Waltwam

Nice plan but UConn has lost five players to season-ending injuries and is not able to simply run bodies at CC. They will do well to keep up with Iowa. I was surprised they were able to get past USC.

Nice plan but UConn has lost five players to season-ending injuries and is not able to simply run bodies at CC. They will do well to keep up with Iowa. I was surprised they were able to get past USC.
I think UConn and Iowa each only play 7 so they do have to be careful not to get in foul trouble. Just depends on how the game is called. Paige took over the USC game late.

Do the women still play with a smaller ball? If so, this would affect the % as it gives more room for error.

Do the women still play with a smaller ball? If so, this would affect the % as it gives more room for error.
Yes they do. I believe a shorter wingspan makes it easier to shoot a higher percentage. But still, 3% is not much of a difference.

They do...but they are still have a little bit lower % than the men.
yep...the men's ball is ~ 9.5 inches while the women's is ~ 9 inches. That is 22 oz versus 20, making it about 10% lighter. At the same time, the hoop is 18 inches for all of basketball at any level. So there is an advantage in being able to control (ball size to hand size), shoot (lighter ball is easier to shoot), and about a 10% advantage in forgiveness (hitting the rim at all or hitting the rim with enough leeway to still go in).

Interesting. The women's basketball is around 3.3% smaller (28.5" versus 29.5") than the men's basketball and they both shoot into the same size basket. That looks like it accounts for the difference in free throw percentage.

Interesting. The women's basketball is around 3.3% smaller (28.5" versus 29.5") than the men's basketball and they both shoot into the same size basket. That looks like it accounts for the difference in free throw percentage.
Again, I have no idea where that 3% came from, but it's wrong.

The men shoot a higher percentage!!!

Reactions: ikS
I haven’t watched much of Caitlin Clark, so I watched the game last night. She is pretty unbelievable. Ended up with 38 points, 12 assists, and 6 rebounds. Definitely a generational talent. A couple of things I noticed in general…women players shoot threes better than they shoot layups…and they travel a lot. PSU women play Iowa next….I guess the goal is to keep Clark under 40.
Believe this is the first time I have ever watched women's BBall. Advertisers need to share some of the revenue from the record viewership with her. She is entertaining and talented,

Believe this is the first time I have ever watched women's BBall. Advertisers need to share some of the revenue from the record viewership with her. She is entertaining and talented,
I have to say that the center for SC was also very entertaining. I am not sure I've ever seen a center dominate a game like she did. The Iowa team kept going into the paint and was getting rejected time and again. SC basically played four gals on the perimeter and SC's center in the paint. Cardosso had 17 rebounds and 15 points while blocking something like 6 or 7 shots (and influencing virtually every shot in the paint). SC led rebounds 51 to 29!

The only thing I can compare it to is Shaq's heyday when he was finishing up his college career.

I have to say that the center for SC was also very entertaining. I am not sure I've ever seen a center dominate a game like she did. The Iowa team kept going into the paint and was getting rejected time and again. SC basically played four gals on the perimeter and SC's center in the paint. Cardosso had 17 rebounds and 15 points while blocking something like 6 or 7 shots (and influencing virtually every shot in the paint). SC led rebounds 51 to 29!

The only thing I can compare it to is Shaq's heyday when he was finishing up his college career.
I coached girls basketball in the past, I wish I would have known that really long fake eyelashes, tons of makeup and hair extensions are essential to playing well on the basketball court. I could have won a state championship had I known that secret.

I coached girls basketball in the past, I wish I would have known that really long fake eyelashes, tons of makeup and hair extensions are essential to playing well on the basketball court. I could have won a state championship had I known that secret.
Gads, I thought the same as in my opinion it does look out of place. To each their own, though.
Love And Hip Hop Please GIF by VH1

Reactions: AWS1022
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT