ADVERTISEMENT

Noteworthy Results & Goldfish Games: Week of 1/13- 1/15

That Chumbley is #9 at 157 just illustrates the incredible weakness of the weight class. Levi would destroy both these guys.
tony-stark-well-your-e-not-wrong-ovt789j8tfdsh1h5.gif

165 - Mayfield vs Kennedy

1st: Ken on low single, May wizzers it off. Back to feet (not to be confused with the reverse).
Ken in on low double, converts to single for TD, 2-0.
Escape, 2-1.
Ken “Bulls” May to edge, OOB.
Quick duckunder to single for Ken, but May fights it off to end period

2nd: Kennedy takes bottom.
Escape, 3-1.
Ken still pushing May to edge, almost gets a TD, but May stretches free leg to the floor to get OOB call.
Review for TD. Not awarded. Boos from the crowd.
Period ends 3-1.

3rd: Mayfield takes bottom.
Escape, 3-2. 1:36 left.
1:00 left.
Stall on May for backing OOB. 4-2.
0:40 left.
Mayfield can’t muster any offense. Kennedy wins 4-2.

Iowa 11, Northwestern 6

- Intermission -

Last edited:
Dayne Morton (Neb) knocks off #14 Blockhus (Minn) 5-4 with a reversal in the final 10 seconds.

Cronin also beat McKee 11-6.

Reactions: slushhead
How do we feel about Woods/Bartlett? I think it says something that Woods didn't score anything but escapes after the first, he was spent. Beau isn't going to be so easy to surprise in the first plus I'm sure they'll be ready for him after that display

Reactions: hlstone
How do we feel about Woods/Bartlett? I think it says something that Woods didn't score anything but escapes after the first, he was spent. Beau isn't going to be so easy to surprise in the first plus I'm sure they'll be ready for him after that display
Carbon copy of a Spencer match, which Iowa will take any day... first match back will assume he's likely to get his lungs back but yeah he had nothing to offer. I'd give the nod to Real in a one take down match.

Reactions: Fatmarc
I thought last spring Beau would be too much for Woods at 141. I saw nothing tonight from Woods, or this season from Beau that has changed my mind.

Woods is going to have to get more mat time, IMO. He’s stingy, but his lungs will be detrimental in a hard-fought match if he doesn’t get more time out there. Bartlett can push him hard, but he’ll need to be smart about it.

Reactions: RB-Old and hlstone
I thought last spring Beau would be too much for Woods at 141. I saw nothing tonight from Woods, or this season from Beau that has changed my mind.
Woods is deservedly #2 and has bonused everyone, but Swedeirski this year, and most by Tech or better. Beau has been great but lacks that kind of test. It will be a great match but Woods has to be considered the favorite going in based upon results. If Beau can take him out, we have a slight chance at winning 9 bouts. Now how would that be?

174 - Enkmandakh vs Brands

1st: Brands TD, 2-0.
1:45 left.
Escape, 2-1.
Brands in on low single, Enk whizzers, period ends.

2nd: Enk takes bottom.
Brands riding him hard, 0:30
left.
Brands rides him the whole period, but got called for stalling with 0:05 left.

3rs: Brands takes bottom.
Escapes immediately, 3-1.
Enk tries a slide-by, but not a while
lot else. Then flops on a shot near the end. TD Brands, Escape, TD Brands, RT point. Brands takes it 8-2.

Iowa 14, Northwestern 6

Last edited:
184 - Bates vs Assad

1st: Collar ties, head pulls.
Assad in low on double attempt, Bates drapes over back, scissors the head (sort of, because we all know that’s technically
illegal). Stalemate.
Assad in on another shot with 0:30 left, converts with foot sweep for TD, 2-0.
Period ends that way.

2nd: Assad takes bottom.
Escape, 3-0, 1:15 left.
Assad counter TD, 5-0. Bates knee hurt on the exchange, injury time.
He can continue. Assad gets choice and takes bottom.
Escape, 6-0. Period ends.

3rd: Bates takes bottom.
Assad riding hard, OOB w/ 1:23 left.
Escape, 6-1. (and everyone rejoiced)
TD Assad, 8-1
Escape, 8-2
TD Assad with 0:07 left, wins 11-2 w RT.

Iowa 18, Northwestern 6

Last edited:
197 - Lil’ Davison vs. Glazier

1st: LD shoots, flattened out to stalemate.
Glazier with low shot off whistle, but LD counters for TD, 2-0.
Escape 2-1.
TD LD, 4-1.
Escape, 4-2.
0:30 left.
Period ends, LD up 4-2.

2nd: LD takes bottom.
Escape, 5-2. 1:45 left.
0:45 left.
Glazier in on shot, converts. 5-4.
Glazier holds on to prevent a crucial escape before period ends.

3rd: Glazier takes bottom.
Escape, 5-5. 1:49 left.
LD in on leg, converts, 7-5.
Escape, 7-6.
0:45 left.
LD stuff a bad shot, almost gets a go-behind, but Glazier escapes OOB.
Glazier runs out of time. LD takes it 7-6.

Iowa 18, Northwestern 9

Last edited:
Woods is deservedly #2 and has bonused everyone, but Swedeirski this year, and most by Tech or better. Beau has been great but lacks that kind of test. It will be a great match but Woods has to be considered the favorite going in based upon results. If Beau can take him out, we have a slight chance at winning 9 bouts. Now how would that be?
I can live with 9 out of 10 against Iowa. As a matter of fact I would enjoy going over to HR to tell them that after losing 9 of 10 matches I thought they wrestled exceptionally well.

The only downside is several on here would only be able to fixate on not winning that 10th bout.

Reactions: mcpat
285 - Big Davison vs Cassioppi (aka Ric Flair, aka Big Tone)

1st: Nuttin’. BT’s hips were like an awkward 6th grader hiding in the coner at an 8th grade dance. He did try a shot at the end of the period.

2nd: BT takes bottom.
Escape, 1-0.
BD in on single, gets to feet, but BT staves it off.
0:25 left.
Period ends 1-0.

3rd: BD takes bottom.
Escape in 9 seconds, 1-1.
BT with a Big TD, 3-1.
Blood time for BT. 1:04 left in the match.
Stall warning on BT.
Escape, 3-2.
0:25 left.
Mad scramble, I think BD had shot. BT holds on by the hairs of his chinny-chin-chin as BD was coming up through the back door to try to take control as time expired. Big Tone with a (mental) “Wooo!” of relief. Wins 3-2.

Iowa 21, Northwestern 9

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: hlstone
125 - DeAugustino vs Lee

Put your “ducks” away folks — it’s happening.

1st: Lee with immediate TD, 2-0.
You know what happens now.
DeAug fights off a tilt, then a wing, Escapes, 2-1.
Lee with a dump to a cradle to a fall.
Bam, that’s all she wrote.

Final Score: Iowa 27, Northwestern 9

I was flipping back and forth between the Iowa/NW match and Nebraska/Minny. Manning makes it hard to watch a Nebraska match. Guy just gets on my nerves.
As I wrote, it didn't help that BTN inexplicably had a camera trained dedicated solely on Manning. So we saw WAY too much of Manning. This even included a split screen (half on the mat and half on Manning) for portions of the dual.

I have no idea why BTN seemed to think that frequent shots of Manning would enhance the broadcast; it did quite the opposite.

Reactions: creamery freak
As I wrote, it didn't help that BTN inexplicably had a camera trained dedicated solely on Manning. So we saw WAY too much of Manning. This even included a split screen (half on the mat and half on Manning) for portions of the dual.

I have no idea why BTN seemed to think that frequent shots of Manning would enhance the broadcast; it did quite the opposite.
Maybe they mistook him for Moriah Marinelli?

The Real Woods that I've seen this year in his few matches is an overly emotional wrestler. who prefers to launch himself out of a cannon. Beau Bartlett is an intelligent young man who is always in control and will play this to his advantage, If Beau doesn't catch Woods in period 1, then I wouldn't be shocked if Mr. BB pins Mr Woods in the following 4 minutes

• Haha
Reactions: jmadden1998
No idea why the BTN broadcast crew thinks a shot of Mark Manning is necessary every time Manning gets off his chair. And Manning gets off his chair frequently.

Maddening.

Maybe Cael has a home study course for other coaches to maintain themselves matside. Ryan and the Brands and Eggum.. geez guys you had your time in the lights. Of course there's always Angel's theatric reffing.

Mixed thoughts on Lee. On one hand, the first period falls over AA level wrestlers have me thinking he’s unbeatable. On the other, I just saw him go down 8-1 to Ramos (before coming back to pin him in 1st period). I’d call the Ramos lead a fluke, but he had a clean first TD too before the throw.

The Real Woods that I've seen this year in his few matches is an overly emotional wrestler. who prefers to launch himself out of a cannon. Beau Bartlett is an intelligent young man who is always in control and will play this to his advantage, If Beau doesn't catch Woods in period 1, then I wouldn't be shocked if Mr. BB pins Mr Woods in the following 4 minutes
Hmmm. An Iowa wrestler with poor emotional control. Where in the world could they have seen that to model?

Real Woods:

Going up 14-0 in the first period against a top 10 wrestler was as impressive as anything I’ve seen this year.

But the even 2-2 score over the next four minutes was one of the most puzzling things I’ve seen.

On the Iowa board, folks are posting that this is the time of the year in which Iowa wrestlers look their best.

On the PSU board, folks are posting that this is the time of the year in which PSU wrestlers look their worst

Anyone think that Lees pin vs D, was called a little quick?
Maybe, a half second but it was inevitable, Lee's grip strength is other worldly. D wasnt going anywhere.

Then again I am in the camp that Brooks was pinned given the same criteria, I just wish he would have been able to come all the way back.

I believe that Lee is 'beatable' following the SeaBass method. Unfortunately there isn't anyone manning 125 in the NCAA today by a long shot, that has the ability to stay away in the first, survive if on bottom, and then make a move in the 3rd. I don't see anyone including Glory, Courtney and Figs who can avoid getting bonused.

Suriano last year maybe 50/50, Vito 1/10, Fix 2/10, Glory 1/100.

So yes we now face a decade of HR 'Spencer is the GOAT' arguments. Ironbird may actually have his heart explode in some sort of celebratory orgasmic bliss. Spencer can never be considered 'the' GOAT, (other than the GOAT for 125), but he is up there in the conversation. Let's toss HR a bone, let them have the few crumbs thrown to them.

At the end of the day, never forget, Spencer is a PA product.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT