ADVERTISEMENT

Obli's Observations, Kent - WTF?

Obliviax

Gold Member
Aug 21, 2001
Hard to have any real takeaways. But I have one major takeaway. This game was a travesty. Kent was totally overmatched. I felt horrible for Kent's starting QB for getting hurt in play, what, three? The second team QB got hurt as well but it seemed that could have happened anytime against any team. So Kent is down two QBs and is completely overwhelmed. It is hard for me to accept that Kent let themselves get to this level and PSU (Tenn) played them. I feel bad for those kids. To their credit, they fought to the end but I felt myself feeling really sad for them. it was hard to watch, honestly.

Also, sad that Cam got hurt in this meaningless game. It was more a practice than a game. I hope he's OK as that didn't look good at all. Anyone have an update?

• A friend told me he didn't think Allar improved much from last year. I feel like I must be watching a different Allar. Allar is very consistent and very efficient. He's really shown great in pocket awareness and has extended plays while still looking downfield. Plus, he seems to run when it makes sense and he can get a good gain or the first down or staying back and hoping a WR will uncover.
  • He also put the ball into some very small holes over defenders.
  • He seems to throw his long balls short. we got a TD but the WR was way underthrown. That seems to be the only consistent complaint I have.
  • I am more concerned with why the WRs aren't getting open against Kent. I think the plan was to get more people involved and perhaps that is it. But his stat line is pretty darn good 17 of 29 for 309 yards and zero INTs while rushing for 26. 3 Tuddies.
  • WTF on Beaus INT? I noted he got benched until it was mop-up time. we then moved to a wildcat with Warren, which worked great.
  • Better to reserve/surprise the Warren Wildcat or make teams prepare for it? IDK, but it sure looked good.
  • Hard to complain about anything when the team puts up 718 total yards and gives up only 67. 40 first downs.
  • seven penalties for 67 yards. That is way too many.
  • WR watched: Evans, Clifford, Flemming, Wallace, Ivey, Denmark
  • Warren looked great as did Reynolds and Dinkins. Reynolds is going to be great. We are in good shape at TE especially when Rapp gets back. Reynolds looks like a special athlete: big, strong, fast, great verticle. And he's still very young.
  • I am still seeing very few bubble screens except to Warren. Why?
  • Defense looked fine but it is hard to judge them against a Kent and their third-team QB. Again, Kent kids played hard.

Hard to have any real takeaways. But I have one major takeaway. This game was a travesty. Kent was totally overmatched. I felt horrible for Kent's starting QB for getting hurt in play, what, three? The second team QB got hurt as well but it seemed that could have happened anytime against any team. So Kent is down two QBs and is completely overwhelmed. It is hard for me to accept that Kent let themselves get to this level and PSU (Tenn) played them. I feel bad for those kids. To their credit, they fought to the end but I felt myself feeling really sad for them. it was hard to watch, honestly.

Also, sad that Cam got hurt in this meaningless game. It was more a practice than a game. I hope he's OK as that didn't look good at all. Anyone have an update?

• A friend told me he didn't think Allar improved much from last year. I feel like I must be watching a different Allar. Allar is very consistent and very efficient. He's really shown great in pocket awareness and has extended plays while still looking downfield. Plus, he seems to run when it makes sense and he can get a good gain or the first down or staying back and hoping a WR will uncover.
  • He seems to throw his long balls short. we got a TD but the WR was way underthrown. That seems to be the only consistent complaint I have.
  • I am more concerned with why the WRs aren't getting open against Kent. I think the plan was to get more people involved and perhaps that is it. But his stat line is pretty darn good 17 of 29 for 309 yards and zero INTs while rushing for 26. 3 Tuddies.
  • WTF on Beaus INT? I noted he got benched until it was mop-up time. we then moved to a wildcat with Warren, which worked great.
  • Better to reserve/surprise the Warren Wildcat or make teams prepare for it? IDK, but it sure looked good.
  • Hard to complain about anything when the team puts up 718 total yards and gives up only 67. 40 first downs.
  • Warren looked great as did Reynolds and Dinkins. Reynolds is going to be great. We are in good shape at TE especially when Rapp gets back. Reynolds looks like a special athlete: big, strong, fast, great verticle. And he's still very young.
  • Defense looked fine but it is hard to judge them against a Kent and their third-team QB. Again, Kent kids played hard.

I was out of town so didn't watch the game but had a feeling I wasn't going to miss much.

So two weeks in a row now Kent State has been served up like Christmas turkey to top-10 teams...and a couple weeks before that, Pitt, a pretty decent team in its own right, put 55 points on them. (It got so bad against Tennessee that the Vols actually offered to run the clock without stops in the 2nd half of their wipe-out.)

This kind of thing is almost embarrassing for the sport, but on the other hand, such games are scheduled years in advance, and with MAC teams you never know what you're gonna get. In any given year, some of them are pretty competitive with the big boys. Exhibit A: this season's Bowling Green team, which scared the hell out of us...and then Texas A&M as well.

Anyway, Kent State now mercifully enters its MAC schedule where they'll have a fighting chance on the occasional Saturday. Wishing them nothing but the best.

Reactions: Parkland Fan
I was out of town so didn't watch the game but had a feeling I wasn't going to miss much.

So two weeks in a row now Kent State has been served up like Christmas turkey to top-10 teams...and a couple weeks before that, Pitt, a pretty decent team in its own right, put 55 points on them. (It got so bad against Tennessee that the Vols actually offered to run the clock without stops in the 2nd half of their wipe-out.)

This kind of thing is almost embarrassing for the sport, but on the other hand, such games are scheduled years in advance, and with MAC teams you never know what you're gonna get. In any given year, some of them are pretty competitive with the big boys. Exhibit A: this season's Bowling Green team, which scared the hell out of us...and then Texas A&M as well.

Anyway, Kent State now mercifully enters its MAC schedule where they'll have a fighting chance on the occasional Saturday. Wishing them nothing but the best.
but with their third string QB

Allar always underthrows long passes. You would think a guy his size would have a bigger arm. He may have improved from last year but he has yet to play a top D. I hope it is not like last year when the moment and speed of the game was too much for him.

Allar always underthrows long passes. You would think a guy his size would have a bigger arm. He may have improved from last year but he has yet to play a top D. I hope it is not like last year when the moment and speed of the game was too much for him.
The ball was in the air like 60+ yards.

Reactions: royboy and Hotshoe
Kent St.'s athletic director should be fired. That's no way to treat your coaches and players.
Then you better fire Bowling Green's AD as well. PSU, then TX A&M. It's about money.

Last edited:
He has a massive arm, and it's always better to make that type of pass for a td vs and overthrow. I swear, some folks don't understand how difficult it is to hit a WR in stride at 60 yards. Lmao.

Reactions: Obliviax
Last year, everyone was bitching about the lack of deep balls, rightfully so, thanks MY, now they're bitching because they're not 100% perfect. I stated months ago, folks didn't understand just how bad MY was as an OC, and how coach K would change this offense overnight. Well, Coach K has done this. Try to enjoy it.

Unfortunately without their top 2 QB’s.

Yup, that's unfortunate indeed...but injuries are a part of the game...even with teams in the same class. In any case, I still wish them nothing but the best.

In the end, we had a walk-over while Illinois laid everything on the field to squeak out an OT win on the road. Gotta wonder how the emotional fall-out of those two very different games affects Saturday's contest. I think it plays in our favor.

Yup, that's unfortunate indeed...but injuries are a part of the game...even with teams in the same class. In any case, I still wish them nothing but the best.

In the end, we had a walk-over while Illinois laid everything on the field to squeak out an OT win on the road. Gotta wonder how the emotional fall-out of those two very different games affects Saturday's contest. I think it plays in our favor.

Illinois, Illinois, Illinois.............

Reactions: Jerry
I had never heard this, but Franklin said in his presser that he specifically asks his QBs to underthrow deep balls. Not sure I agree, but the logic is justifiable. Franklin says if you throw them short the WR can still make a play on them or you can draw the PI.

Reactions: Hotshoe

Allar has a cannon. Come on, guy.

I had never heard this, but Franklin said in his presser that he specifically asks his QBs to underthrow deep balls. Not sure I agree, but the logic is justifiable. Franklin says if you throw them short the WR can still make a play on them or you can draw the PI.
There's logic there but his coach at the next level will have to fix that. Better to underthrow than overthrow

Not sure what your friend is referring to, but Allar has improved substantially over his previous 2 seasons. He’s stronger, more agile, faster, and is making quicker ( and correct) decisions. —And his ceiling has a way to go (IMO)
—Wr’s are getting more comfortable. I know it’s Kent State, but their routes, timing and blocking have improved.
— TE’s are awesome, and the strength of the offense. The RB’s are very good ( as always), and the OL is good…and trending to very good ( very optimistic re: OL)
—As far as bubble screens go…I don’t think we’ve seen half of the offense yet. The new OC has been a home run , IMO
— Franklin coaches his QB’s to default to underthrow vs overthrow, so the WR will be more likely to have a play on the ball ( per his news conference today).
—Future is bright, if we don’t have any more critical position injuries.

Reactions: Obliviax
Then you better fire Bowling Green's AD as well. PSU, then TX A&M. It's about money.
Exactly. Look for more of this in the future. Schools like Kent with a small athletic budget and now NIL to deal with. They will struggle to compete in the MAC let alone against teams like Tennessee and PSU. They take these games for the paycheck, not to seriously compete. Does leave you feeling bad for their kids though.

Then why do receivers have to slow or stop to get the ball?
This may sound crazy, but sometimes I feel he relies too much on his superior arm strength.

He has a big strong frame that if utilized properly could make his throws even better and more effortless.

And his quarterbacking more effective and efficient.

He does really remind me of a young Big Ben.....

Reactions: m.knox and Obliviax

But why would Kent officials set up games with with Tenn. and PSU?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT