ADVERTISEMENT

Ohio State offering MHJ $20-25M to stay

I'm not seeing info that matches your headline of this thread.
there is a rumor about this but I haven't seen any hard information. Makes no sense at all for either him or the University. He will go so high in the draft that even though his first year won't match 25 million long-term he should do better if his performance in the NFL matches what he has done in college. In the nfl, he should be the equivalent of Jamar Chase. Doubt that if he returned that the university would make an additional $25 million by his presence.

The article doesn't say that. It's speculating.

And 20-25M isn't enough when you factor he what he loses on a potential second contract being delayed a year.
In the end, he either wants to be a NFL player or not. If he does, there is absolutely no earthly reason why he should not come out for this upcoming draft when he most likely will be a top 5 pick. A NFL career is very short for most players, and delaying it by another season for one more college season, which may not be as productive as past seasons based on OSU's uncretainty at qb, just doesn't make sense. Also, unlike running back, he plays a position that is highly valued now in the NFL.

Under nil it is not an amateur sports League. It is a second tier pro sports League

Bluntly, the NCAA screwed this up…big time. As a fan, I really valued the amateur spirit of college athletics…now, schools are paying (through donors) top athletes millions of dollars, buying their way into the playoff every year. I get that athletes should be able to earn money using their likeness, but that’s NOT how NIL is working. NIL is effectively a shadow payment scheme where schools + donors pay athletes, not for their likeness, but for them to attend a specific school. I believe the spirit of NIL was fine, but the implementation was done in the worst possible way. It should be fundamentally achievable to have a level playing field amongst universities and retain the spirit of amateur athletics and to allow individual athletes to profit from their likeness. In the NFL, teams have salary caps and are not allowed to negotiate ad deals for players (to get around the cap). We need a similar system (quickly) in college football, otherwise, you can kiss it goodbye

The new reality of college football. Meanwhile there are students who aren't good at catching a football. They are very good at math, physics etc. and piling up student debt in the process. Bizarro world.
Reminds of an older post about athletes who have excelled in the world outside of sports. Urshell (sp) and Rolle were mentioned, you need to add Mike Reid, Nashville Country Music Hall of Fame, check some of the great songs he has written, terrific stuff.

I'm not seeing info that matches your headline of this thread.
Christian Williams

I'm just sharing what I saw out there. This guy seems to report on the Chicago Bears. I have friends who are huge Ohio State fans. One sent me the link above and said he's hearing 20-25M.

I joked with him that Ohio State's payroll is going to be greater than Green Bay's (around $126M)

Last edited:
Christian Williams

I'm just sharing what I saw out there. This guy seems to report on the Chicago Bears. I have friends who are huge Ohio State fans. One sent me the link above and said he's heading 20-25M.

I joked with him that Ohio State's payroll is going to be greater than Green Bay's (around $126M)
Suit yourself. But that is rumor and conjecture which is not solid info. Not a legit basis for the thread title.

The new reality of college football. Meanwhile there are students who aren't good at catching a football. They are very good at math, physics etc. and piling up student debt in the process. Bizarro world.
Not bizarro world.
There are few people who can play football at a high level.
There are lots of people who are good at math and physics that like watching football.

Not bizarro world.
There are few people who can play football at a high level.
There are lots of people who are good at math and physics that like watching football.
There are relatively few people who have the intellect and motivation to advance the sciences. Those that do benefit the human race far more than some guy catching a football.

There are relatively few people who have the intellect and motivation to advance the sciences. Those that do benefit the human race far more than some guy catching a football.
If one of those elite science guys invented the iPhone or figures out solid state batteries, he'll have much more than anyone that can catch a football.
Elite business ventures outperform elite athletes. You can't compare elite athletes to average people in the sciences.

If one of those elite science guys invented the iPhone or figures out solid state batteries, he'll have much more than anyone that can catch a football.
Elite business ventures outperform elite athletes. You can't compare elite athletes to average people in the sciences.
Correct. However, what I am saying is we should be pushing and rewarding education and achievement far more in the sciences, medicine etc than we are. Football is well covered as are the other major sports.

Reactions: 80lion
That student that is good at math, physics, etc. is not going to make the university any money, other than to pay his tuition.

Reactions: brupsu
That student that is good at math, physics, etc. is not going to make the university any money, other than to pay his tuition.
True. What I am pointing out is how universities have gone from really valuing academics to being football cash cows.

Reactions: lazydave841
really kind of pathetic if it is true (for OSU, not the WR)
Not true but it's a new CF and the money is flowing. One area that OSU doesn't really need help at 2024 as WR Egbuka is rumored to be considering returning and Carnall Tate and possibly Innis are future superstars. There's a reason Fleming entered the Portal even after starting. OSU needs to spend extra NIL on their defense - not offense, Their defense has let them down over the last 3 or 4 years.

Go look at what Miami, FSU, Texas A&M, Texas, Louisville and a few others are shelling out in NIL money - it's massive. CF has become a 2nd level pro league now and PSU needs to open up their checkbooks if they want to keep up - just the way it is today

Last edited:
Bluntly, the NCAA screwed this up…big time. As a fan, I really valued the amateur spirit of college athletics…now, schools are paying (through donors) top athletes millions of dollars, buying their way into the playoff every year. I get that athletes should be able to earn money using their likeness, but that’s NOT how NIL is working. NIL is effectively a shadow payment scheme where schools + donors pay athletes, not for their likeness, but for them to attend a specific school. I believe the spirit of NIL was fine, but the implementation was done in the worst possible way. It should be fundamentally achievable to have a level playing field amongst universities and retain the spirit of amateur athletics and to allow individual athletes to profit from their likeness. In the NFL, teams have salary caps and are not allowed to negotiate ad deals for players (to get around the cap). We need a similar system (quickly) in college football, otherwise, you can kiss it goodbye
NIL with the old rules would be functional. With the wild, wild west and transfer portal, it doesn't work.

It would be nice if NIL were actually managed and documented as paying for a player’s likeness and not just pay for play. Like if NIL payments had to be registered with the NCAA and there had to be proper documentation (you are getting $x and in return the paying agency is using your likeness for y). Instead it’s just a marginally more “legal” version of bagmen.

It would be nice if NIL were actually managed and documented as paying for a player’s likeness and not just pay for play. Like if NIL payments had to be registered with the NCAA and there had to be proper documentation (you are getting $x and in return the paying agency is using your likeness for y). Instead it’s just a marginally more “legal” version of bagmen.
Good luck with that. CF has turned into the Wild West show. It's totally out of control and Miami and Texas A&M lead the pack

People do not go to watch physics tests and the perceived benefit to that to your average hoe is less than sportsball.

People do not go to watch physics tests and the perceived benefit to that to your average hoe is less than sportsball.
Obviously. What I am saying is universities are losing sight of what is supposed to be their mission. When was the last time a big time, NFL 1st round potential player was declared academically ineligible to play?

Obviously. What I am saying is universities are losing sight of what is supposed to be their mission. When was the last time a big time, NFL 1st round potential player was declared academically ineligible to play?
I've asked this before, but do these players even have to go to class anymore to uphold the charade that they are "student" athletes?

Like I've also said before, to tell ypu how far we've come, in 1997, Curtis Enis was suspended for the bowl game because he accepted a suit to wear to the College Football Awards Show. Now, you have coaches willing to pay thousands and thousands of dollars for players to play in bowl games. It's totally absurd, and I can't wait until it implodes, which it will.

Reactions: MacNit2.0
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT