ADVERTISEMENT

OL and DL

olelion

Jun 10, 2001
Tarpon Springs Fl
Well, I've now watched all of last seasons games, the 60 minute versions on BTN. The O line looked pretty good, Fashanu as advertised (anyone know what his injury actually was?) despite some who say he wasn't up to it against UM and OSU. He was up to it. Effner was not very effective. He had the bad day against OSU. Every year I watch the O line in the first game and no matter who they play you can tell if there will be a problem. I'll probably do that out of habit but it's the D line that bears the scrutiny. The tackles got pushed around last year and I won't even mention the UM game in any detail. That line needs to see an upgrade or opposing O lines will get to the next level, with simple screen blocks breaking long gains. That's what I saw. I'm no expert nor am I a coach.

h

Well, I've now watched all of last seasons games, the 60 minute versions on BTN. The O line looked pretty good, Fashanu as advertised (anyone know what his injury actually was?) despite some who say he wasn't up to it against UM and OSU. He was up to it. Effner was not very effective. He had the bad day against OSU. Every year I watch the O line in the first game and no matter who they play you can tell if there will be a problem. I'll probably do that out of habit but it's the D line that bears the scrutiny. The tackles got pushed around last year and I won't even mention the UM game in any detail. That line needs to see an upgrade or opposing O lines will get to the next level, with simple screen blocks breaking long gains. That's what I saw. I'm no expert nor am I a coach.

h
I think the OL will be pretty good but I won't believe they're elite until I see it.

Reactions: brupsu

h
I've read and heard some PSU media and fans saying how PSU will have to replace a good bit of production at DT from 2022, I guess referring to Mustipher. But Mustipher was not nearly the same player in 2022 that he was pre-Iowa 2021.

And it's the nature of college football for young players to progresss, get stronger, with the best DT's usually proving themselves and exceling as upper classmen, which is why I am cautiously optimistic that players like Izzard, Ellis, Beamon, Van den berg, and Durant will be a better group than what they showed in 2022. And when we talk about the 2022 UM game we have to recognize that the LB group wasn't up to the task that day either. Carter had not yet taken over at Will, Jacobs was playing snap out of position at Will, DeLuka was not nearly the player at Sam that Jacobs is, and I saw Elsdon on the ground watching the UM RB's fly by on too many plays. King will be more stout vs the run, hopefully Elsdon is better although I'm not sold on him, and Carter will be a top 5 in the country LB along with Jacobs being a top B10 LB, which should show up in the run defense. Additionally, although Tarburton was decent against the run, I like the now more physically mature DE trio of Robinson, Isaac and DDS, along with Vanover and Fisher, to hold up better against the run than the 2022 DE group.

And another factor should be the continued improvement of the PSU running game to keep the PSU defense off the field for longer stretches.

The PSU defense has to prove it on the field but I see plenty of room for optimism. The OL is deeper than the DT position and I believe can withstand an injury better. An injury at DT would likely cause Artis to be needed for 10-15 snaps per game and he's an unknown to us, although the staff has commented that he has come a long way.

h
Effner wasnt very effective? Ya dont say? Lol

h
Michigan is the only team that racked up lots of rushing yards against PSU. Some of that was their size and some of it was players playing out of the scheme as was evidenced by a meeting after the game to discuss just that. We shall see how it goes this year.

Michigan is the only team that racked up lots of rushing yards against PSU. Some of that was their size and some of it was players playing out of the scheme as was evidenced by a meeting after the game to discuss just that. We shall see how it goes this year.
The linebackers looked confused and the lineman were getting blown up too often

I've read and heard some PSU media and fans saying how PSU will have to replace a good bit of production at DT from 2022, I guess referring to Mustipher. But Mustipher was not nearly the same player in 2022 that he was pre-Iowa 2021.

And it's the nature of college football for young players to progresss, get stronger, with the best DT's usually proving themselves and exceling as upper classmen, which is why I am cautiously optimistic that players like Izzard, Ellis, Beamon, Van den berg, and Durant will be a better group than what they showed in 2022. And when we talk about the 2022 UM game we have to recognize that the LB group wasn't up to the task that day either. Carter had not yet taken over at Will, Jacobs was playing snap out of position at Will, DeLuka was not nearly the player at Sam that Jacobs is, and I saw Elsdon on the ground watching the UM RB's fly by on too many plays. King will be more stout vs the run, hopefully Elsdon is better although I'm not sold on him, and Carter will be a top 5 in the country LB along with Jacobs being a top B10 LB, which should show up in the run defense. Additionally, although Tarburton was decent against the run, I like the now more physically mature DE trio of Robinson, Isaac and DDS, along with Vanover and Fisher, to hold up better against the run than the 2022 DE group.

And another factor should be the continued improvement of the PSU running game to keep the PSU defense off the field for longer stretches.

The PSU defense has to prove it on the field but I see plenty of room for optimism. The OL is deeper than the DT position and I believe can withstand an injury better. An injury at DT would likely cause Artis to be needed for 10-15 snaps per game and he's an unknown to us, although the staff has commented that he has come a long way.
I went back and watched Nourzad and Wormley v UM and OSU. They were pretty solid

I have disagree, mostly. The O-line was a mixed bag all season, though it did get better as the season went along. the line looked like it belonged in the MAC against Central Michigan. Olu wasn't up for UM or OSU, especially OSU. The line did look OK against overmatched teams but failed against the top two, didn't perform well against several lesser teams and the schedule is much more difficult.

The D-line is going to be fine against the bottom of the schedule. The problem is the top five teams on the schedule. Most expect us to field the worst tackle combo we have fielded since joining the Big Ten, especially at the 1 Tech where we don't have one. The mostly returning starter at the 3 Tech spot was the worst of the Franklin era by a wide margin. Throw in the fact that we don't have a 5 Tech on the roster and the result is obvious. The pass rushers will shine when we have a lead or are playing overmatched opponents. When we aren't, the line will be a problem.

To be honest, there is no reason to think either line will be better, and they weren't very good against the teams that mattered in 2022, and we have Iowa, Illinois and a possibly resurgent Michigan State on the schedule.

h
i'm not a coach either, but it seems to me our DL has to break down the michigan line and keep them away from the linebackers. Keep those olinemen away from the second level...easier said than done, but....

I'm optimistic about this team too but it doesn't mean they're good enough to beat OSU or Michigan. That's where the bar has been set.

There are questions at DT but nobody expects us to field the worst combo we have fielded in 30 years. That's a ridiculous comment.
He's a troll. Last year he predicted 7-5 and was still right because he said teams that we played were worse than expected. Now he tells you how hard the schedule is this year, until we run it. Then all the teams weren't as good as expected again.

He's a troll. Last year he predicted 7-5 and was still right because he said teams that we played were worse than expected. Now he tells you how hard the schedule is this year, until we run it. Then all the teams weren't as good as expected again.
You are the troll. I actually went to Penn State, not Penn Tech. My prediction was pretty good. 7 and 5 was the bottom. 10 and 2 was the top. What I said it would take for us to get to 10 and 2 happened, and we got there. I also said we would lose an uncompetitive game against Michigan, which we did. I also said we would get blown out in the fourth quarter against Ohio State and we did. Never mind 2021 when I nailed the season in May.

There are questions at DT but nobody expects us to field the worst combo we have fielded in 30 years. That's a ridiculous comment.
Why? Please explain. I wouldn't take any tackle on the roster at the 1 tech spot over any starter since we joined the Big Ten. I absolutely wouldn't take Beamon over any 3 tech over anyone since 1999.

Reactions: scrivener
You are the troll. I actually went to Penn State, not Penn Tech. My prediction was pretty good. 7 and 5 was the bottom. 10 and 2 was the top. What I said it would take for us to get to 10 and 2 happened, and we got there. I also said we would lose an uncompetitive game against Michigan, which we did. I also said we would get blown out in the fourth quarter against Ohio State and we did. Never mind 2021 when I nailed the season in May.
You are definitely a troll and a liar. You know that we can look up your previous posts, right? Like the one below.
Very good win yesterday. The story of the day was the turnovers. The line demonstrated incremental progress from week one and Singleton made them good when they were able to successfully execute a couple of the more complicated blocking designs. They nailed one last week leading to a long Singleton run and hit a couple yesterday. The scene from the stands was impressive in terms the amount of Penn Staters that traveled. Overall, the win was impressive but Auburn is also a train wreck and lacked the QB play to make the defense pay. Going in, I had us at 9 and 3 for a reasonable best case and 5 and 7 as a reasonable worst case. Right now, I am thinking 8 and 4 looks pretty realistic and with luck we could get to 9 and 3.

The bottom was 7 wins which was hackenbergs best year.

The bottom was 7 wins which was hackenbergs best year.
If you read his quote that I linked above, the resident troll put 5-7 as the bottom for 2022 and 9-3 as best case scenario if everything went our way. Those are his own words that I linked.

Last edited:
Reactions: bison13
I have disagree, mostly. The O-line was a mixed bag all season, though it did get better as the season went along. the line looked like it belonged in the MAC against Central Michigan. Olu wasn't up for UM or OSU, especially OSU. The line did look OK against overmatched teams but failed against the top two, didn't perform well against several lesser teams and the schedule is much more difficult.

The D-line is going to be fine against the bottom of the schedule. The problem is the top five teams on the schedule. Most expect us to field the worst tackle combo we have fielded since joining the Big Ten, especially at the 1 Tech where we don't have one. The mostly returning starter at the 3 Tech spot was the worst of the Franklin era by a wide margin. Throw in the fact that we don't have a 5 Tech on the roster and the result is obvious. The pass rushers will shine when we have a lead or are playing overmatched opponents. When we aren't, the line will be a problem.

To be honest, there is no reason to think either line will be better, and they weren't very good against the teams that mattered in 2022, and we have Iowa, Illinois and a possibly resurgent Michigan State on the schedule.
To be honest, there is no reason to think that your next post will be better, given that they weren't very good previously.

Reactions: pennstatepelly

How do you put people on ignore? This guy is insane.

Reactions: Online Persona
You are definitely a troll and a liar. You know that we can look up your previous posts, right? Like the one below.
What is your point troll? Notice work reasonable. Pre-season. I laid out the following. 10 and 2 absolute best case scenario which requires something unexpected. Well, the unexpected happened to multiple teams on the schedule. A more reasonable best case was 9 and 3. My reasonable best case this year is 10 and 2. My absolute best case is 11 and 1 because Ohio State might be vulnerable.

What is your point troll? Notice work reasonable. Pre-season. I laid out the following. 10 and 2 absolute best case scenario which requires something unexpected. Well, the unexpected happened to multiple teams on the schedule. A more reasonable best case was 9 and 3. My reasonable best case this year is 10 and 2. My absolute best case is 11 and 1 because Ohio State might be vulnerable.
If you did then you should easily be able to quote that prediction just as I quoted your prediction of 5-7 as the lower bound and 9-3 of the upper. But your new claim about last year's prediction is not to be found in your posting history. I searched it. What I quoted from you a year ago were your own words and in this thread and you clearly lied about your own prediction from a year ago.

Troll, I guess it sucks being proven a liar by your own words and you're upset. Well, then try to be an honest person if you don't like getting caught in your own lies by your own words. Everyone can see that you lied. They can click on the quote and see what you had written and the rest of the thread from a year ago.

If you did then you should easily be able to quote that prediction just as I quoted your prediction of 5-7 as the lower bound and 9-3 of the upper. But your new claim about last year's prediction is not to be found in your posting history. I searched it. What I quoted from you a year ago were your own words and in this thread and you clearly lied about your own prediction from a year ago.

Troll, I guess it sucks being proven a liar by your own words and you're upset. Well, then try to be an honest person if you don't like getting caught in your own lies by your own words. Everyone can see that you lied. They can click on the quote and see what you had written and the rest of the thread from a year ago.
Blah blah blah. You are the liar. Just admit it. You are mad because I called you out for essentially lying. Deal with it.

Blah blah blah. You are the liar. Just admit it. You are mad because I called you out for essentially lying. Deal with it.
I posted a quote from you from a year ago that proves you are lying. Literally anyone on this site can click on that quote, see exactly what you had written in full context of the thread in which it was posted a year ago, and compare it to your lies about it in this thread. End of story. You are a troll. Get lost.

Reactions: blmr31
I posted a quote from you from a year ago that proves you are lying. Literally anyone on this site can click on that quote, see exactly what you had written in full context of the thread in which it was posted a year ago, and compare it to your lies about it in this thread. End of story. You are a troll. Get lost.
It does no such thing troll. You are cherry picking one single quote to call me a liar. You know what that make you? A liar. Why don't you get lost.

It does no such thing troll. You are cherry picking one single quote to call me a liar. You know what that make you? A liar. Why don't you get lost.
You made a claim about your prediction from a year ago in this thread.

I quoted your full post from a year ago in which your prediction was definitely not what you claimed it had been in this thread.

And that makes me a liar? It's your own words dummy. You said something a year ago and claimed that you had said something different in this thread. Everyone can click on your post from a year ago now that I linked it.

You made a claim about your prediction from a year ago in this thread.

I quoted your full post from a year ago in which your prediction was definitely not what you claimed it had been in this thread.

And that makes me a liar? It's your own words dummy. You said something a year ago and claimed that you had said something different in this thread. Everyone can click on your post from a year ago now that I linked it.
Yes it does because you are deliberately misrepresenting my prediction from a year ago which was far more nuanced than that. Context matters. So does semantics.

Yes it does because you are deliberately misrepresenting my prediction from a year ago which was far more nuanced than that. Context matters. So does semantics.
It is the entire quote in full context you dummy. Posters literally can click on your quote from a year ago in this thread that I posted above and go to the exact same words that you typed in that thread that still exists on this site.

It is a full and complete record of what you typed in that thread from a year ago. Do you even understand how easy it is for ANYONE to check exactly what you typed themselves with just a click?

No doubt that was a hyperbolic statement -- but let's expand on it a little more b/c DT specifically has been a very challenging position for JF (and many HC's) to recruit. It really is the one area he hasn't brought in with high level recruits.

So, as of the roster right now, strictly at DT, is there a single guy that would even be a day 2 draft pick, who aren't Freshmen? Ellies, Beamon, Durant, Van Den Berg, etc. I mean it isn't exactly a position that screams out 'dominant' or even one guy that is probably keeping opposing HC's up at night, as we have in other areas. Now, can that change in a matter of weeks, of course! But, as of right now, we don't have a single guy that has shown the ability to just flat out dominate the LOS.

It is the entire quote in full context you dummy. Posters literally can click on your quote from a year ago in this thread that I posted above and go to the exact same words that you typed in that thread that still exists on this site.

It is a full and complete record of what you typed in that thread from a year ago. Do you even understand how easy it is for ANYONE to check exactly what you typed themselves with just a click?
I am the dummy? Really? You are cherry picking one quote from many. That is what trolls do.

No doubt that was a hyperbolic statement -- but let's expand on it a little more b/c DT specifically has been a very challenging position for JF (and many HC's) to recruit. It really is the one area he hasn't brought in with high level recruits.

So, as of the roster right now, strictly at DT, is there a single guy that would even be a day 2 draft pick, who aren't Freshmen? Ellies, Beamon, Durant, Van Den Berg, etc. I mean it isn't exactly a position that screams out 'dominant' or even one guy that is probably keeping opposing HC's up at night, as we have in other areas. Now, can that change in a matter of weeks, of course! But, as of right now, we don't have a single guy that has shown the ability to just flat out dominate the LOS.
Great post,

My take is this. We use a defensive system that requires certain personnel to be effective. We need a legit 1 tech. There is zero talk of the one player on the roster that projects as a true 1 tech having any kind of impact which means whoever starts there is a square peg in a round hole. This will work against the overmatched teams on the schedule but not against the good ones. All talk indicates we will start a player that projects to the NFL as a 5 tech end at the all important 1 tech position while starting another future 5 tech end at the 3. 5 to 3 works a lot better than 5 to 1 or 3 to 1. Again, this will work against UMass, Delaware and Maryland. Not likely to work against Iowa, Illinois or Michigan State much less Ohio State or Michigan, especially Michigan whose line is expected to be better. Again, we have a lot of players up front on defense that are talented, but we have a lot of players playing out of position which has been a trend since Franklin took over because we don't' recruit tackles very well.

Great post,

My take is this. We use a defensive system that requires certain personnel to be effective. We need a legit 1 tech. There is zero talk of the one player on the roster that projects as a true 1 tech having any kind of impact which means whoever starts there is a square peg in a round hole. This will work against the overmatched teams on the schedule but not against the good ones. All talk indicates we will start a player that projects to the NFL as a 5 tech end at the all important 1 tech position while starting another future 5 tech end at the 3. 5 to 3 works a lot better than 5 to 1 or 3 to 1. Again, this will work against UMass, Delaware and Maryland. Not likely to work against Iowa, Illinois or Michigan State much less Ohio State or Michigan, especially Michigan whose line is expected to be better. Again, we have a lot of players up front on defense that are talented, but we have a lot of players playing out of position which has been a trend since Franklin took over because we don't' recruit tackles very well.
Like Beamon who was hopefully going to develop as a DE, but clearly wasn't quick or explosive enough. Now, he is an undersized DT, unless he can win with leverage and angles...which who knows if that will be the case.

JF bemoaned the lack of size up front and how we had to get bigger after last year's Michigan game -- I mean isn't the answer then to recruit better and bigger specifically at DT?

I love Manny's defensive style with the blitzes from all angles and havoc he tries to cause. But, that can be problematic if you don't get home. Not having pressure created on the inside from the DT's forces Manny's hand to have to be aggressive probably more than he would like to be.

Really after Chop and DDS, everyone else is a question mark on the line IMO....Vanover, Adissa Isaac, included. He had a hard time last year being consistent after his injury. Ultimately, a defense rides or crashes based on their front for the most part...we need an uptick in that area to take the next step.

Where are Millen, Clark, or Reid?

Reactions: scrivener
Like Beamon who was hopefully going to develop as a DE, but clearly wasn't quick or explosive enough. Now, he is an undersized DT, unless he can win with leverage and angles...which who knows if that will be the case.

JF bemoaned the lack of size up front and how we had to get bigger after last year's Michigan game -- I mean isn't the answer then to recruit better and bigger specifically at DT?

I love Manny's defensive style with the blitzes from all angles and havoc he tries to cause. But, that can be problematic if you don't get home. Not having pressure created on the inside from the DT's forces Manny's hand to have to be aggressive probably more than he would like to be.

Really after Chop and DDS, everyone else is a question mark on the line IMO....Vanover, Adissa Isaac, included. He had a hard time last year being consistent after his injury. Ultimately, a defense rides or crashes based on their front for the most part...we need an uptick in that area to take the next step.
Personally, I am not a Diaz fan. I think he is a system guy (fits with what Franklin wants) who will do well against the sisters of the poor but will not do well against anyone with a pulse, which is his track record as a coordinator. Overall, I love our talent level but don't think the coordinators Franklin hires are really up to the job. JoeMo being the lone exceptions. What I see talent wise is a unbalanced roster and we run a rigid system that doesn't take advantage of the considerable talent we have, largely because we do not employ coordinators who can make schematic changes to fit the talent, like JoeMo.

I am the dummy? Really? You are cherry picking one quote from many. That is what trolls do.
The quote that I linked shows your prediction for the 2022 season. Was your prediction different in other posts a year ago? If so, link those posts because I didn't find them in your posting history. You made a dishonest claim in this thread about what you said a year ago. Your own words prove that.

Take a look at the defense and compare the talent to the quasi-46 double eagle that Arizona used during the desert swarm years when they routinely fielded the best defense in America. Using that approach, which actually fits the talent we have you would bring pressure up the middle (picture perfect for the spread era when the ball is gone in a heartbeat) while containing (but not entirely stopping) the run. This puts the most talent on the field at one time and would stand up against Michigan's offense. There will be some holes against teams like Maryland but Maryland is still Maryland.

7 Tech (stand up end) - Chop Robinson
3 Tech - Hakeem Beamon (outside technique) or Dvon Ellis (inside technique) on running downs
1 Tech - Olaivavega Ioane (I am moving him because I doubt he can play in the dynamic gap blocking scheme) or Kaleb Artis
3 Tech - Zane Durant (inside technique)
5 Tech - Dennis Dani-Sutton
WILL - Curtis Jacobs
SAM - Abdul Carter

I watched Olu every single down against both OSU and UM. You're wrong. OSU kept shifting No. 9 and no. 44 back and forth. It didn't matter, he handled them both. Effner on the other hand, had a tough time

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT