ADVERTISEMENT

One more QB transfer thread

Ceasar

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
The board seems split on whether PSU can/should/will bring in a transfer QB. I am in the camp that the staff should bring someone in. My rationale is, if not to compete with Clifford, then to compete with Levis. When we dissect McCaffery and Bowman, and Jack Coan before them, to argue why they are not the answer, I think we are in denial about PSU's QB situation. I preface this by saying I love Clifford's leadership and toughness and I would love to see him QB this team to a conference title next year. It could only help PSU's recruiting in Ohio. But here is the reality...
There are two Sean's. The one who started his career 8-0 and the one who since then is 6-6. In his last 12 starts he has completed 59% of his passes, has 19 TD and 13 Int and is 6-6. He is also responsible for several turnovers that went for TDs. By any metric imaginable, that is unacceptable for a PSU QB. Of course I understand the talent around him is a factor as well but the cupboard has not been bare as he has had any combination of Hamler, Dotson, Friermuth, Journey and others who are pretty good players. When we look at McCaffery and Bowman, as examples, if you oppose bringing them in, is it your view they cannot do better than 6-6? I would disagree with that. It was mentioned that Bowman threw a lot of Int's and that is true. But for his three year career at TT he has just about a 2:1 TD/Int ratio. By no means is that bad and it is better than Sean's last 12 games.
IMO what is important is PSU's staff needs to embrace a culture of competition. It was painfully obvious this year that Sean has no competition. Even in the IA game when he was benched, Sean played the second half. And that was a week after Levis almost pulled off a comeback in Lincoln. And last year, when PSU scored 0 points with Clifford in Columbus, and Levis again came in and played well, the next week an obviously injured Clifford played. My point is it seems clear the staff does not view Levis as a viable option. So IMHO this means either we are resigned to struggling if Clifford cannot find the magic from his first 8 starts, or you bring in someone who might be able to play. Clifford's problem is he is inconsistent. I believe coaches would say this is the result of poor pocket presence. I question if, after 20+ starts, this is going to change.
So I am in the camp of bring in a transfer and create competition. It can only elevate the play of Clifford and the transfer. It is easy to knock every kid in the portal. I recall when Coan entered the portal he was panned pretty badly on this board. But his numbers in 2019 were much better than anything PSU QBs have put up. I think we need to embrace the fact that under Cliff we are 6-6 in his last 12 games; that is enough of a sample size to draw conclusions. Also, there will be other kids hit the portal before Sept. Ohio State has three young big time recruits vying for the job. I doubt all three will be on the roster in the fall. I'm sure there are other schools that have some stud FR/SO who will transfer out if they don't win the job. Again, if I am James Franklin and Mike Yurcich, I begin every QB conversation by saying, we have a QB who is 6-6. How do we improve?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News