ADVERTISEMENT

One other rule going forward for Psu:

never take a knee, never go in a shell. A 70-0 win is better than a 56 point win.

If it is a beauty contest, then we can't ever stop being beautiful for a second.
While we realize the need for this approach based upon the current ranking system, just can't take it that far.
There is only one thing in life that can not be taken from you; your honor. The only way you lose it, is to give it away. (BOT has rewritten best-practices for achieving this)
Embarrassing an opponent for the purpose of self-promotion in not honorable, even if it means we are penalized by a flawed system.
Success with Honor.

While we realize the need for this approach based upon the current ranking system, just can't take it that far.
There is only one thing in life that can not be taken from you; your honor. The only way you lose it, is to give it away. (BOT has rewritten best-practices for achieving this)
Embarrassing an opponent for the purpose of self-promotion in not honorable, even if it means we are penalized by a flawed system.
Success with Honor.

Steel sharpens steel. There is something to be said for losing - and learning to lose. There is nothing embarrassing about trying your best.

Steel sharpens steel. There is something to be said for losing - and learning to lose. There is nothing embarrassing about trying your best.

It is pretty embarrassing when you're up by 50 points on a team and you have your starters in trying to score.

LdN

never take a knee, never go in a shell. A 70-0 win is better than a 56 point win.

If it is a beauty contest, then we can't ever stop being beautiful for a second.

I think there are diminishing returns at a certain point with most opponents. Hanging 70 vs. 63 vs. 56 while shutting out a Rutgers... ho hum. Not too long after the game, the college football world's take-away thought is that they blew out a bad team by some crazy-high score.

Play the backups when the game is in hand (42-0, mid 3rd qtr.?), run your normal offense and defense. Nothing wrong with that. If the reserve keep scoring, so be it. When the point comes that the other can no longer get the ball due to game time and lack of timeouts, take a knee.

You’re assuming you can’t put up 50+ points with back ups? Ok.

Yes I'm assuming that in the context of the original post and never letting up.

If you believe his original post implied that after you're up by 28 in the 4th against an inferior opponent with 5 minutes left to put in the backups and let them have a go, then more power to you.

LdN

Yes I'm assuming that in the context of the original post and never letting up.

If you believe his original post implied that after you're up by 28 in the 4th against an inferior opponent with 5 minutes left to put in the backups and let them have a go, then more power to you.

LdN

Ok.

We should've thrown on the last play against Michigan...and gone for 2. 50 would've looked better.

Michigan would be the exception to my own sportsmanship rules.

As woody Hayes famously said (1968?) when asked why he went for 2 when up 48-0 over Michigan.... "Because they wouldn't let me go for 3."

I think there are diminishing returns at a certain point with most opponents. Hanging 70 vs. 63 vs. 56 while shutting out a Rutgers... ho hum. Not too long after the game, the college football world's take-away thought is that they blew out a bad team by some crazy-high score.

Play the backups when the game is in hand (42-0, mid 3rd qtr.?), run your normal offense and defense. Nothing wrong with that. If the reserve keep scoring, so be it. When the point comes that the other can no longer get the ball due to game time and lack of timeouts, take a knee.

Yeah, I've always thought this too. Winning a game 45-3, I think, subconsciously makes you look better than winning a game 81-0.

45-3 looks like you were so good that you overwhelmed the opposing team. 81-0 looks like you played cardboard cutouts of an opposing team.

And yes, I understand that logically this doesn't make a lot of sense. I think it's a subconscious thing.

Reactions: Bob78
Coaches have to take a number of very important things into consideration, and one may be absolutely as important as another.

He owes it to the team to not only be prepared to win, but to gameplan with at least some degree of public perception about the overall "quality" of the win in mind in games where they are an overwhelming favorite. So, getting that big lead is important for not only that game, but also for the public perception. Beating Ga. State 23-17 vs. 56-0, for example.

The other consideration, just as important is also to his team.... and that is to play the reserves when the game is in hand, even if that means not getting the shutout. Run the offense, run the defense as practiced and planned, but with the back-ups in at some 'common sense' point in the game. Those players deserve the chance to perform on the big stage, in front of family and friends and teammates. That, imo, is just as important to the team as getting the blow-out shutout win.

The goal is to do both. But the W is most important, then playing as many guys as practical, then the margin of victory or maintaining a shutout.
Just my opinion.

Reactions: Achowalogan
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT