ADVERTISEMENT

Only ESPN

Be happy they're televising a dying sport for a tournament that we all know who will win. Thankfully it's us or people here would be bashing the sport.
Huh? Dying? 10% increase in HS boys participation, never mind the girls which is a staggering growth marker. HS participation is now the highest since the 70’s when it was a gym class staple and every boy had to try it.

ESPN expanding prime coverage, not decreasing. (Good or bad performance of the coverage notwithstanding ).

Huh? Dying? 10% increase in HS boys participation, never mind the girls which is a staggering growth marker. HS participation is now the highest since the 70’s when it was a gym class staple and every boy had to try it.

ESPN expanding prime coverage, not decreasing. (Good or bad performance of the coverage notwithstanding ).
No doubt. I remember attending wrestling matches in high school in support of classmates, some of whom were my teammates in other sports. The atmosphere in our packed gym was electric. Wrestling is a great sport. A warrior sport. The Big Ten Network does give it its due. As crappy as ESPN is, at least they carry it.

Last edited:
Reactions: live4now

Don't you know Lando knows all - if he say's it's dying it's dying and he will go to the grave arguing that point even when as in most case he is the only one on that side of the argument with flawed facts.

Isn't it amazing that the projected national champion wrestlers are receiving the least air time by ESPiN.

As for the two/three ESPN announcers, proves the point that they have exemplified the Peter Principle, i.e. they have exceeded their level of competency.

Last edited:
When I was on my local school board we were interviewing for a superintendent My preferred candidate was a former championship wrestler. While i wasn’t a wrestler I always viewed wrestling like three-a-day football practice. If you could successfully get through that you could accomplish anything.

It's the toughest sport in which I've competed. It's all on you and every movement you make is being opposed the entire time with everything the other competitor has. It's about discipline and preparation and being smart, explosion, and never giving in. Those few minutes will sap your energy like no other sport.

As a corollary, my HS wrestling team today has the highest concentration of millionaires compared to any other group or team of which I have been a part. There are at least 5 of our wrestling team that are millionaires before age 50 of which I am aware. There were no more than 25 kids on our HS team. That concentration is higher than in my AP classes or even my grad school cohort.

And it's grit that made these guys. They were going to find a way to win. One was a VoTech student that started his own business installing custom cabinets and other home furnishings. One works for Google; he was also in my AP classes. One worked construction out of HS and then went back to college and now manages large construction projects. One became a Navy Seal and now owns a business. These were all tough and hard workers.
+1 on this. I can remember "tough guys" from the football team trying to make it on our HS wrestling team and most of them would quit the practice 1/2 way through saying it was harder than any 2-a-days, etc. they had to do for football. I guess it's not for everyone

Reactions: EdwardoCarrachio
+1 on this. I can remember "tough guys" from the football team trying to make it on our HS wrestling team and most of them would quit the practice 1/2 way through saying it was harder than any 2-a-days, etc. they had to do for football. I guess it's not for everyone
I played back in the 3-a-day era which is now “illegal.” While our friends were at the beach we had grueling end of summer practices from morning to night. Just the smell of dried out grass in August takes you back. You have to respect what wrestlers endure. Or how about Navy Seals?

I played back in the 3-a-day era which is now “illegal.” While our friends were at the beach we had grueling end of summer practices from morning to night. Just the smell of dried out grass in August takes you back. You have to respect what wrestlers endure. Or how about Navy Seals?
Yeah, special warfare operators like SEALs, PJ's, CCT's, Delta, etc. come from a similar breed as wrestlers. Mentally tough, no quit, solid dudes.

Dying at the college level. Are they adding or losing programs. Compare to 10, 20, 30 years ago. Wrestling, especially, boys growing in HS doesn't add growth in college.

So you agree it's dying...
It’s growing again. Two new teams at NCAA and there are a few new ones at this NCAA raising money to start programs. Those programs will come from places that do not have the constrains now creating problems at football schools. They will be places that don’t…like Arkansas Little Rock and Long Island U.

Further, an increase in HS participation DOES translate to more interest at the college level. Since it is largely non-revenue, growth doesn’t need to come from a big conference school.

It is…..in fact….a growing sport again.

Reactions: NJPSU
Yeah, special warfare operators like SEALs, PJ's, CCT's, Delta, etc. come from a similar breed as wrestlers. Mentally tough, no quit, solid dudes.
Yep. Just read Lone Survivor which goes deep into the Seal training. I knew it was hell but could never have imagined pain they go thru.

Reactions: WeR0206
It’s growing again. Two new teams at NCAA and there are a few new ones at this NCAA raising money to start programs. Those programs will come from places that do not have the constrains now creating problems at football schools. They will be places that don’t…like Arkansas Little Rock and Long Island U.

Further, an increase in HS participation DOES translate to more interest at the college level. Since it is largely non-revenue, growth doesn’t need to come from a big conference school.

It is…..in fact….a growing sport again.
I see one school adding a program
Wrestling has literally be non-competitive for almost it's entire existence. One (or at best) a couple teams dominate for years. Penn State won the title before the season started. While I'm thrilled we're the team dominating I'm being honest.

As college football continues down the path its on you will see Wrestling get dropped often by schools.

Do you want the list that has dropped the sport over the past couple decades? The Big Ten just added 4 major programs...want to guess how many still have a Wrestling program?

It's the toughest sport in which I've competed. It's all on you and every movement you make is being opposed the entire time with everything the other competitor has. It's about discipline and preparation and being smart, explosion, and never giving in. Those few minutes will sap your energy like no other sport.

As a corollary, members my HS wrestling team today have yielded the highest concentration of millionaires compared to any other group or team of which I have been a part. There are at least 5 of our wrestling team that are millionaires before age 50 of which I am aware. There were no more than 25 kids on our HS team. That concentration is higher than in my AP classes or even my grad school cohort.

And it's grit that made these guys. They were going to find a way to win. One was a VoTech student that started his own business installing custom cabinets and other home furnishings. One works for Google; he was also in my AP classes. One worked construction out of HS and then went back to college and now manages large construction projects. One became a Navy Seal and now owns a business. These were all tough and hard workers.
Good stuff. My 7th grader started a new school this year and decided to try wrestling. Took a heck of a lot courage to do that at his age. He wrestled against the full gambit of experience and talent. Took his fair share of butt kicking, but got better and better and ended up just below a .500 record. I never wrestled, but can see the toughness it creates. 1 v 1 on full display in front of a gym full of people and no one is going to save you…been telling him how good the lessons will be for rest of his life. Despite the tough matches he tasted enough success to really like it…we have a local club that trains year round that he’ll be able to train at over the summer. Looking forward to next season already.

As a corollary, members my HS wrestling team today have yielded the highest concentration of millionaires compared to any other group or team of which I have been a part. There are at least 5 of our wrestling team that are millionaires before age 50 of which I am aware. There were no more than 25 kids on our HS team. That concentration is higher than in my AP classes or even my grad school cohort.

I have reported here previously that my HS wrestling team has at least 5 millionaires now before age 50 (of which I am aware, there may be others). Myself, a guy who went to the VoTech and ran a business putting in custom countertops and cabinets (now sold and retired to Florida), a guy who was in construction and went back to college after a few years and manages large construction projects now, a guy who like myself was in the AP courses and works for Google now, and another guy who became a Navy seal and then started a business after leaving the military. Now we only had 14 weight classes and maybe double that on the entire squad so 5 of less than 30 is a pretty good measure and IMO not coincidental. The wrestling team more so than my AP classes had a higher percentage of people who really made it in life because we had no quit in us and the will to find a way to get it done. It wasn't that we had the smartest academics only in this group.

Just in case there was any doubt who is who.

Hell bent on proving Lion 84’s point I see.
Wouldn't i have to be wrong for him to have a point?
One can love wrestling and admit the sport is dying and isn't competitive. When a program wins 11 titles since 2011 (and one year the event wasn't held) that's not a competitive sport.
How many programs no longer sponsor men's wrestling? We can blame Title IX if you want but I'm dealing with what is. I think wrestling's a great sport--it's just the lack of competition that makes it tough to watch and it's dying because schools don't care about it.

Just in case there was any doubt who is who.
What’s your deal, buddy? You seem dissatisfied or aggrieved. Maybe if you stopped and listened to what you don’t want to hear you might learn something. Or maybe you’re an underachiever who has it in for anyone who appears to be happy. How about allowing people to tell their story without you being the king of what’s right or wrong.

What’s your deal, buddy? You seem dissatisfied or aggrieved. Maybe if you stopped and listened to what you don’t want to hear you might learn something. Or maybe you’re an underachiever who has it in for anyone who appears to be happy. How about allowing people to tell their story without you being the king of what’s right or wrong.
Back on topic. A long time ago I attended an event where Dan Gable spoke. Incredible guy. I think he only lost one match in his whole college career. I believe he said he came home one day and found his sister murdered. This terrible experience motivated him to achieve in his life. But the thing that he said that stuck with me the most was “everyone should get the opportunity to know what it feels like to have your hand raised over your head.” This is so true. I wasn’t the greatest athlete in the world by any means but one time my teammates carried me off on their shoulders. That was something I will never forget.

Reactions: EdwardoCarrachio

My deal is that Edwardo Carrachio is Online Persona. That seemed pretty straightforward. The rest of your post is just sad off-target personal attacks. If you need help again in the future, feel free to reach out. Perhaps there are some shows on Peacock that can help you out.

Reactions: NJPSU
My deal is that Edwardo Carrachio is Online Persona. That seemed pretty straightforward. The rest of your post is just sad off-target personal attacks. If you need help again in the future, feel free to reach out. Perhaps there are some shows on Peacock that can help you out.
Look, you don’t like this guy and you obviously don’t like me. I don’t even know you and I don’t like you. You are most certainly not as smart as you think you are. So why don’t you just give it a rest and tend to your knitting.

Reactions: johnmpsu
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT