ADVERTISEMENT

Oregon State Dual

I'm more impressed by Davis because I know where Mesenbrink's confidence comes from. Davis didn't just win a world title, he just walked into the room and grabbed the job, looking more like a kid asking for an autograph than a starter. He'll run into some turbulence sooner or later I imagine, but 125 is as open as it's been in a while.
I don’t follow HS wrestling very closely, but I’m curious about Davis. Seems his success has been a pleasant surprise as he wasn’t a highly touted recruit. That said, he was a 4x state champ in a pretty good wrestling state, not exactly chopped liver. What’s his backstory?

I don’t follow HS wrestling very closely, but I’m curious about Davis. Seems his success has been a pleasant surprise as he wasn’t a highly touted recruit. That said, he was a 4x state champ in a pretty good wrestling state, not exactly chopped liver. What’s his backstory?
I think everyone thought/knew he was talented. But there’s still a big jump between that and being capable of being an All-American as a true freshman.

Davis is also a 2x Fargo champ (Cadet 2020, JR 2021).

But in 2022 he lost 2x to fellow Michigan wrestler Caden Horwath, then took 4th at Fargo -- and lost to Horwath again there. That's probably what cost him the publicity. He was not a top 20 recruit at the end, IIRC was around 30th.

Davis' finalists were Michigan, MSU, OKST, OU, and the Goofers -- and then Cael swooped in and got him. So he was sought after by some good programs.

Looks like Cael has brought out the guy who won Fargo JR as a HS soph.

But in 2022 he lost 2x to fellow Michigan wrestler Caden Horwath, then took 4th at Fargo -- and lost to Horwath again there. That's probably what cost him the publicity. He was not a top 20 recruit at the end, IIRC was around 30th.

Davis' finalists were Michigan, MSU, OKST, OU, and the Goofers -- and then Cael swooped in and got him. So he was sought after by some good programs.

Good stuff. Thanks.

Davis was ranked #36 by Flo when he announced for PSU in Dec 2021. As I recall, Flo's final ranking for the Class of 2023 had Davis at #42.

Davis was ranked #36 by Flo when he announced for PSU in Dec 2021. As I recall, Flo's final ranking for the Class of 2023 had Davis at #42.
Thanks.

Meanwhile, it looks like Horwath is off to a slow start at Michigan (though he’s only a RS FR and a lot can change).

Reactions: hlstone
That would've been after his first loss to Horwath. Also, Flo rankings.

Horwath was also a 4x MI state champ, a 2x Super 32 champ, and a 2x Fargo finalist. (He's now at Michigan.) IIRC he wasn't among the highest-ranked recruits, so losing to him would've hurt Davis' ranking.

This was his first career bonus loss.

His prior biggest losses were 6-1 last year to Hunter Bolen (at 184), and 9-4 to Tanner Cook at 2022 B12s (the year he was injured and didn't qualify for nationals).
That truly speaks to CStar's dominance so far this year. Funny when they talk about their true frosh years and not being able to get a takedown in the practice room.

After seeing that crowd last night, you’d think schools would want to pay big bucks to schedule a home and home with us. PSU draws. That said, Pendleton is doing a very nice job there and I could see him in a top 5 school type of position soon.

I remember when Nolf was freshman and beating everyone Pyles commented that he gave up too many escapes but he failed to mention that they were mostly catch and release so he could score more points!

Cat Reaction GIF by MOODMAN
told you before that line is older than dirt,get over it!

Great win. Don’t get the Truax grief for a tight loss to a high caliber opponent. Are we worried about Beau and Levi, too? Nah. Reasonable to imagine undefeated seasons for Carter, Aaron, maybe Kerk (what’s Steveson’s plan?), not so much for anyone else. Five straight in late March trumps an undefeated season all day every day, and no other team has better prospects. Some are left to count on a smack-talking mullet revving an engine on a dusty back road.

Reactions: RealMicah
Thats crazy

Granted the 3 point TD, but regardless, Carter could have taken him down 30 freakin times. Wittlake had no answer.
6 takedowns -- so even without the new rule, that's a 13-3 score, twice Wittlake's previous biggest margin of defeat. And Carter could've taken him down at least 2x more in the remaining 30 sec.

So we’re really doing this again with Truax, huh?

The kid is what he is. He’s gonna go something like 18-2/3 on the year into the NCAA tournament and very likely finish between 2nd and 5th. We knew this going in.

He’s exactly on track.

Munoz is good and there’s a reason they’ve split previously.
What??? Beating every subject to death is what we do. Are you new?

I chalk Bernie's performance up to a few things:

1). Aside from Max I don't know if Cael's methods can take full effect in 1 season let alone in less that 3 months.

2). Bernie has training bookends looking to be 4ers battling for the Hodge. For all we know his confidence is shot. I don't know if he has had a successful takedown with either in the room. Maybe he is getting countered 90% of the time against two of the very best. It's plausable. He clearly is "way" too cautious against highly ranked kids. One potential downside of being in the best room in the world, is one can begin to question his effectiveness. How can you not without some strong mental discipline, and fully buying into the process?

3). He is a one trick pony on offense for sure, if the sweep single isn't there it looks like he has no backup plan whatsoever.

A lot can change in the next two months and I hope the switch flicks so to speak and he starts to get 'it'. I am sure Cael is all over it. If this is what we get with Bernie we are looking at a solid AA which is great for us fans and for points at nationals, but I am sure his goals are set higher. In any case it should prove enjoyable to watch his continued development, maybe a nice duck under here and there or a power double, or a go behind for instance. I hope against some lesser opponents Cael encourages him to get multiple takedown with none coming from the sweep single just so we can all see it happening.

Take #2 - The Brands have proven at times they duck in cowardice. If Carter keeps leaving the mat before 7 minutes are up with a bloody carcass left behind, I am starting to think TnT won't let their chosen one Gabe face this version of the destroyer of worlds. Just saying, he is downright scary.

Take #3 - Is the outside world (Flo, Willie, Cactus, BEG) going to start saying tier 1 at 165 is Keegan, Carr, and Mesenbrink? Soon my friends, soon!

Take #4 - What's up with Levi? Something seems off. It could be injury, long covid, a tough cut, MM tossing him around (kidding), his biorhythms,... who knows. He has it when he needs it, but we all know he should have MD or Teched an 0-5 kid despite the admirable effort on that kids part. Am I worried, hell no!

Take #5 - Braden and Kasak - we are blessed, what can I say? Go out there and have fun, you will both be qualifiers and deliver points at nationals. It's only January and you both look like AA potential is possible, that for kids that who were both slated to red shirt this year. Wow, impressive!

Take#6 -BB. Please let it fly. You are the master of managing close matches and they seem never really in doubt, but I am much happier when you are working for a major.

I just watched the match and have a couple takes as well:

*As others have mentioned, Ken Chertow was awesome on the broadcast. It's so enjoyable to hear great commentary alongside appropriate excitement. And a PSU grad and Pac-12 broadcaster, he applied the appropriate amount of OSU "favoritism" while sprinkling in a small amount of admiration for his alma mater. He seems like he is more involved with youth and women's wrestling, so he may not be 100% sharp on men's, but he still nailed it - although his only real miss that I noticed was saying that Yianni's going for his 5th title.

*As much as dominance is enjoyable, I also enjoy seeing a little a little "failure" (?) because I can only imagine how much these guys learn from it. BB's opponent had a great counter, and Levi's opponent had two terrific counters. Just love knowing how they'll coach and practice through it.

*I can't say I'm a fan of the 3-point takedown. Does it encourage more offense? In my opinion, no - you just get 3 points instead of two. I'm not sure how much it matters, but it will be unfair to compare 2023-24 to previous years in some respects. Techs and majors require about half the effort. In MMs match, he was up 10-1. Is there a psychological disadvantage to knowing you're down 10-1 instead of 6-1? Does the 3-point takedown make the one who's down feel good about the prospect of catching up? It's my opinion that the disadvantage creates a minor psychological barrier.

*Can't wait to see Brooks vs. Hidlay again. Hidlay, in my opinion, is the only guy who can challenge AB. Even though I think AB wins 99 out of 100 times, the doomsday fearer in me worries about Hidlay getting that one win in the NCAA finals.

Beyond that, just can't wait to see each successive dual/match.

Reactions: hlstone
Take #2 - The Brands have proven at times they duck in cowardice. If Carter keeps leaving the mat before 7 minutes are up with a bloody carcass left behind, I am starting to think TnT won't let their chosen one Gabe face this version of the destroyer of worlds. Just saying, he is downright scary.

Take #3 - Is the outside world (Flo, Willie, Cactus, BEG) going to start saying tier 1 at 165 is Keegan, Carr, and Mesenbrink? Soon my friends, soon!

Take #4 - What's up with Levi? Something seems off. It could be injury, long covid, a tough cut, MM tossing him around (kidding), his biorhythms,... who knows. He has it when he needs it, but we all know he should have MD or Teched an 0-5 kid despite the admirable effort on that kids part. Am I worried, hell no!

Take #5 - Braden and Kasak - we are blessed, what can I say? Go out there and have fun, you will both be qualifiers and deliver points at nationals. It's only January and you both look like AA potential is possible, that for kids that who were both slated to red shirt this year. Wow, impressive!

Take#6 -BB. Please let it fly. You are the master of managing close matches and they seem never really in doubt, but I am much happier when you are working for a major.
I love all your takes, but I want to comment on #3 and #6. (#3) MM may become the most exciting wrestler since Nolf and/or Bo. I love how he looks like Clark Kent with his glasses on and then someone completely different on the mat. Like many/most/or all PSU guys, he looks and seems like such a nice guy. (#6) You can trace this accurate take back to his freshman year at 149 (where he was outsized), but he just seems to trust his counters more than his offense. And yet it's so clear to everyone that he has the talent and skills to be an offensive guy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT