ADVERTISEMENT

OSU QB signs contract for $1.4 million

It is awfully loathsome right now, but it will be interesting to see how some of this pans out. Buyers are in many cases just buying options - the ewers case is particularly bizarre and or eyebrow raising because it’s an autograph business, and it’s a freshman

some of these options are not going to pan out, and some of these markets are not going to pan out, just like some of the stupid early internet company super bowl ads. But at some point these markets will probably ration as like a bit.

but you are right - college sports as we know them are dead.

the ncaa will be proved right that amateurism supported competition. Who’d have guessed it

So college football as we knew it is over. If OSU can say we will help you make 7 figures if you become a Buckeye, that’s going to be hard to compete with. Hey some players will be getting more money than their coaches.
so a guy who is a FR with not one play under his belt, AND NOT a starter has this value. what are the top NFL QBs getting for their work - i.e. what does State Farm pay these guys. Must be $100M if a guy with not track record can get $1.4M. How much more are you going to get in sales of whatever you sell to rationalize that investment.

not sure, but I thought that it was totally outside the rules for the school to facilitate or promise anything, and no sponsor could make coming to a school a condition for getting the sponsor $$$.

Reactions: HazletonLion
If more and more sponsor money goes into these things I wonder if a point will come where a company will market itself as the company that sells you its product at a low price because it doesn't have to jack up the price as much because it chooses not to pay celebrities to endorse their product

Reactions: Shadow99
It is awfully loathsome right now, but it will be interesting to see how some of this pans out. Buyers are in many cases just buying options - the ewers case is particularly bizarre and or eyebrow raising because it’s an autograph business, and it’s a freshman

some of these options are not going to pan out, and some of these markets are not going to pan out, just like some of the stupid early internet company super bowl ads. But at some point these markets will probably ration as like a bit.

but you are right - college sports as we know them are dead.

the ncaa will be proved right that amateurism supported competition. Who’d have guessed it
Won’t pan out? Do you think this money is coming from legit businesses trying to invest in marketing with these kids to get a positive return? Haha. Think again. This money is being pumped through legit businesses by donors as a pay to play scheme….. period.

Won’t pan out? Do you think this money is coming from legit businesses trying to invest in marketing with these kids to get a positive return? Haha. Think again. This money is being pumped through legit businesses by donors as a pay to play scheme….. period.

Any legitimate business owner doing what you describe won't have that business for long; it's called money laundering

Reactions: Ranger Dan
so a guy who is a FR with not one play under his belt, AND NOT a starter has this value. what are the top NFL QBs getting for their work - i.e. what does State Farm pay these guys. Must be $100M if a guy with not track record can get $1.4M. How much more are you going to get in sales of whatever you sell to rationalize that investment.

not sure, but I thought that it was totally outside the rules for the school to facilitate or promise anything, and no sponsor could make coming to a school a condition for getting the sponsor $$$.
Rodgers gets an estimated $2mm-$3mm p.a. from State Farm. That should put this into perspective.

Reactions: Ranger Dan
Yes, but the autograph biz ain’t State Farm.
True, but Rodgers gets his money. I wouldn't bet that Ewers gets all that has been reported, particularly if Stroud is the starter for two years.

Haha. Money laundering. Good luck proving money laundering for “consulting fees”.

Reactions: 91Joe95
Terry Pegula oughta announce a deal that pays $100 million to the top QB recruit of 2023 for signing with PSU (fine print requires national title, Heisman Trophy and 8,000 passing yards in a single season).

Last edited:
Not hard at all. That you can't see it almost guarantees that you'd get caught.
I ain’t say’n I’d be smart enough to pull it off, but it’ll be done. Take it to the bank.

I ain’t say’n I’d be smart enough to pull it off, but it’ll be done. Take it to the bank.
Don't hold your breath. Doubt you'll find that many people that stup...... wait, this is the McAndrew Board.

Reactions: BobPSU92
Going to be funny when some of these kids don't pan out, hope they get their money though and these companies etc.. are stuck paying them..

Reactions: PSUFBFAN
Considering how much money is (has been) flowing into these programs (not just to players), it’ll be interesting to see how much pressure coaches get from these “donors” to play their “clients.” Will outside forces become a legitimate pressure for coaches?

Also, the only difference between now and yesteryear is that the money is out in the open and not under the table.

so many thoughts. I recall Knute Rockne having the "four horsemen" getting a little big-headed. Knute called a play in practice and secretly let the OL to "step aside" for that and a few more plays. Of course, the vaunted four horsemen got waxed. Lesson learned. I wonder how the five-star freshmen OL feels. I wonder about the times when an OL or DE feels the QB is phoning it in or dogging it that day.

second, I've read where one NIL "donor" paid for the 'ships for walkons. What is to stop me from opening up an LLC and "donating" it to my daughter to walk on?

And, yes, people will pay money and "won't be out of business soon". This has been going on for decades, donors giving money to players, so why would this be different other than it is not out in the open and blessed?

Question: Can I call up a HS top five star prospect and tell him I will NIL him if he goes to Ohio State but not Michigan?

Last edited:
NIL, SCHMIL. Sandy is pushing education to our advantage. You can’t put a price on education (even though you can).

In terms of competitiveness, this might actually be an advantage for PSU. Now that bagmen are out in the open and legal, PSU boosters can step up!

so many thoughts. I recall Knute Rockne having the "four horsemen" getting a little big-headed. Knute called a play in practice and secretly let the OL to "step aside" for that and a few more plays. Of course, the vaunted four horsemen got waxed. Lesson learned. I wonder how the five-star freshmen OL feels. I wonder about the times when an OL or DE feels the QB is phoning it in or dogging it that day.

second, I've read where one NIL "donor" paid for the 'ships for walkons. What is to stop me from opening up an LLC and "donating" it to my daughter to walk on?

And, yes, people will pay money and "won't be out of business soon". This has been going on for decades, donors giving money to players, so why would this be different other than it is not out in the open and blessed?

Question: Can I call up a HS top five star prospect and tell him I will NIL him if he goes to Ohio State but not Michigan?
I think you would just need to show the expense as ordinary and necessary. That has always been the basic guidelines. I thought about the same thing.

Reactions: 91Joe95

So college football as we knew it is over. If OSU can say we will help you make 7 figures if you become a Buckeye, that’s going to be hard to compete with. Hey some players will be getting more money than their coaches.
When I was in high school, one of our substitute teachers, Bruce Dal Canton was a pitcher originally with the Pirates (part of the 1969 group brought up from the minors-Al Oliver, Richie Hebner, etc) and was later traded to Kansas City. One of the stories he told was in consecutive years he got a garage door opener and a riding lawn mower for the rights to his name and image from the baseball card company-players were ranked and could choose merchandise based on that ranking...there were 2 at the time. He was on the team with George Brett who he explained would go into negotiation with the card companies.
Personally, this is a lot of speculation, which American businesses seem to do quite a bit of. The one positive is that some of the players that wash out, especially at the QB position may have some compensation for their efforts over the years.

Help me out here Art. How is a legitimate business paying this money considered money laundering?

It's not, perfectly fine. The post to which I replied suggested three parties to a transaction: a) some nebulous "donor"; b) a legitimate business through which the "donor" would channel money to; c) a college football player. Frankly, just don't see it happening as outlined. Then again, there are lots of really dumb folks out there.

I think you would just need to show the expense as ordinary and necessary. That has always been the basic guidelines. I thought about the same thing.
This is, ostensibly, what Actress Lori Loughlin did at USC. She paid off the rowing coach and donated to USC to get her daughter a "scholarship". Today, she could simply have her daughter walk-on and then pay for her 'ship out of NIL.

Reactions: 91Joe95 and PSU73
This is, ostensibly, what Actress Lori Loughlin did at USC. She paid off the rowing coach and donated to USC to get her daughter a "scholarship". Today, she could simply have her daughter walk-on and then pay for her 'ship out of NIL.

FLAG. o_O

When I was in high school, one of our substitute teachers, Bruce Dal Canton was a pitcher originally with the Pirates (part of the 1969 group brought up from the minors-Al Oliver, Richie Hebner, etc) and was later traded to Kansas City. One of the stories he told was in consecutive years he got a garage door opener and a riding lawn mower for the rights to his name and image from the baseball card company-players were ranked and could choose merchandise based on that ranking...there were 2 at the time. He was on the team with George Brett who he explained would go into negotiation with the card companies.
Personally, this is a lot of speculation, which American businesses seem to do quite a bit of. The one positive is that some of the players that wash out, especially at the QB position may have some compensation for their efforts over the years.

This is not unlike any ad or promotional campaign a business undertakes. For a variety of reasons, some succeed and others fall flat. Smart business person figures how much he can afford to piss away or has stop-loss provisions built into his contract.

lori-loughlin-maple-counseling-center-s-nd-annual-crystal-ball-beverly-hilton-beverly-hills-ca-30012431.jpg

Reactions: BobPSU92
Or she could have paid the the bills for the Little Precious directly, which is what she did.

Or she could have paid the the bills for the Little Precious directly, which is what she did.
I am not sure why she didn't. My guess is, over four or five years, it was cheaper to bribe. Plus, nice to have that on your resume (not that the daughter of LL needed a resume). It was just a dumb decision all the way around. And, it wasn't just LL, to be clear.

I am not sure why she didn't. My guess is, over four or five years, it was cheaper to bribe. Plus, nice to have that on your resume (not that the daughter of LL needed a resume). It was just a dumb decision all the way around. And, it wasn't just LL, to be clear.

Had nothing to do with money. Little Miss Olivia Jade's problem was getting in, hence, the need for a coach to indicate a preference to the Admissions Office. None of the people caught up in Varsity Blues couldn't afford full freight and then some.

Had nothing to do with money. Little Miss Olivia Jade's problem was getting in, hence, the need for a coach to indicate a preference to the Admissions Office. None of the people caught up in Varsity Blues couldn't afford full freight and then some.
Thanks...so you can take a kid, run him onto a program, pay him and several players NIL, just to get him/her into a school...and that is OK now.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT