ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2018 Phillies Thread.....

damn, Phils' best reliever getting lit up in the bottom of the 8th. A 6-5 Phils lead becomes a 8-6 Nats lead, with all runs scored with 2 outs (there are still 2 outs as I post this).

The pen continues to be not only a huge problem, but the very bane of the Phillies' existence. This was the big stage and they shizzed the bed.

Shore up the pen or die. However I must say they won 2 of 3 against the Nats and ESPN is already crowning Washington the greatest team on earth even though...yes, they're behind Phila in the standings.

Murphy hit a pitch four inches off the ground to win the game. I'm not shizzin, he's probably the best baseball player in the history of the game. If he played the Phillies every day he'd hit .998

Murphy hit a pitch four inches off the ground to win the game. I'm not shizzin, he's probably the best baseball player in the history of the game. If he played the Phillies every day he'd hit .998

Yeah, a combo of Murphy being talented, and also lucky, on that hit. As you indicated, it was just off the dirt. He did not put a full swing on the ball; seemed he was either fooled or protecting on the swing. I think it was on a 1-2 count, and it was a good breaking ball. On the swing, I thought there was a good chance that the 2nd baseman would catch the ball. He nearly did, but it was just out of his stretch. Woulda, coulda, shoulda

The Phils did well this weekend, but their pen was a disaster in the series finale.

Yeah, a combo of Murphy being talented, and also lucky, on that hit. As you indicated, it was just off the dirt. He did not put a full swing on the ball; seemed he was either fooled or protecting on the swing. I think it was on a 1-2 count, and it was a good breaking ball. On the swing, I thought there was a good chance that the 2nd baseman would catch the ball. He nearly did, but it was just out of his stretch. Woulda, coulda, shoulda

The Phils did well this weekend, but their pen was a disaster in the series finale.

Wasn't too long ago we didn't care who was up or who we were playing. You just sent Lidge out there and won games. Now it's a lopsided coin toss with the red hats getting the stink end of the stick every night. A five run lead is nothing, never mind a one or two run lead. It's worse than Mitchy Poo. He stopped people once in awhile. This crew can't shut down anybody. Imagine a one-gamer and we have to go to the pen in late Sept....Win the division or there's no chance.

Wasn't too long ago we didn't care who was up or who we were playing. You just sent Lidge out there and won games. Now it's a lopsided coin toss with the red hats getting the stink end of the stick every night. A five run lead is nothing, never mind a one or two run lead. It's worse than Mitchy Poo. He stopped people once in awhile. This crew can't shut down anybody. Imagine a one-gamer and we have to go to the pen in late Sept....Win the division or there's no chance.
Rain delay didn't help either. I think Pivetta would have been out there longer. Still doesn't address the bullpen's issues. Not sure what moves they can make to sure that up. Dominguez has been great overall, but struggling a bit lately. Still the best they have out in the pen, by far. Hunter throws like its batting practice. Neshek still hasn't pitched. Their lefties can't get lefties out. Frustrating.

frustrating end to a good week

as much as the line up does need help, the bullpen has to be the biggest priority right now. this cant continue

As always, I didn’t understand the bullpen usage last night. I was shocked he brought the kid in to face Harper instead of Morgan. Morgan has great numbers against Harper I believe and there was no reason to have the kid come in to that situation. I hate to admit that I agree with A Rod, but I also can’t believe you want Murphy instead of Soto to pitch to. The AB before, Soto has issues with the strike zone. I would have started up and see if he chased again. If he could not hit Hunter up, he had no way of catching up to Dominguez.

I didn’t like the AB that Taylor had on Dominguez as well. I need to watch more, but Taylor seemed to be looking middle out and delivered going away. It’s time for Dominguez to pitch a tad more inside. If you go up looking only middle out, you have a chance against him. Time to move some feet and make hitters a bit uncomfortable.

Reactions: cjflyfish
As always, I didn’t understand the bullpen usage last night. I was shocked he brought the kid in to face Harper instead of Morgan. Morgan has great numbers against Harper I believe and there was no reason to have the kid come in to that situation. I hate to admit that I agree with A Rod, but I also can’t believe you want Murphy instead of Soto to pitch to. The AB before, Soto has issues with the strike zone. I would have started up and see if he chased again. If he could not hit Hunter up, he had no way of catching up to Dominguez.

I didn’t like the AB that Taylor had on Dominguez as well. I need to watch more, but Taylor seemed to be looking middle out and delivered going away. It’s time for Dominguez to pitch a tad more inside. If you go up looking only middle out, you have a chance against him. Time to move some feet and make hitters a bit uncomfortable.
I am fine with Dominguez against Harper. I have seen enough of Morgan to believe I don't want him in the game with it on the line. Agree about Soto and Murphy, but understand the decision based on Murphy scuffling a bit coming off the DL

I am fine with Dominguez against Harper. I have seen enough of Morgan to believe I don't want him in the game with it on the line. Agree about Soto and Murphy, but understand the decision based on Murphy scuffling a bit coming off the DL

I wasn’t talking about that AB, sorry. I was talking about the lefty kid they just brought up who gave up one of the Harper doubles that he almost hit out.

It's never too early for the Cowboy Joe West complaints to commence. That 1-2 pitch to Stanton was a strike, plus he went around. That's not helping Vince's pitch count, we need innings from him after last night.

Gotta be honest, he's been bad for both teams. Regardless, your assessment is correct, he's an epic douche.

He’s a brutal umpire as well as an ego manic who actually thinks he’s the star of the game. I loathe the douche

Brutal at bat by Rhys. No excuse to not run to first there as well

Agree 100%!! Even my middle school kids know to run on a dropped 3rd strike. Can't believe no one was screaming from the dugout when the ball got by the catcher.

Adam Morgan.....the gift that keeps on giving. Some of our hitters looked scared tonight...I take it they've never seen a full ballpark, especially against this team.

Almost reminds me of when the Monty Brewster led Hackensack Bulls played the Yanks in that exhibition game.

Adam Morgan.....the gift that keeps on giving. Some of our hitters looked scared tonight...I take it they've never seen a full ballpark, especially against this team.

Almost reminds me of when the Monty Brewster led Hackensack Bulls played the Yanks in that exhibition game.

Morgan proves once again that he’s not a major league pitcher.

Agree 100%!! Even my middle school kids know to run on a dropped 3rd strike. Can't believe no one was screaming from the dugout when the ball got by the catcher.

What wasn’t a good look was Rhys engaging with a fan not once but twice after being thrown out. Not a good look at all for your leader to be chirping with fans getting on him.

Hey Chapman, get in the dugout! You're lucky Santana didn't hit that 450 feet.

Franco takes Chapman to the yard, on a 3-2 pitch, after fouling off a bunch. Chapman kept throwing heat, and then hung a slider. Still 2 out, and nobody on, and Phils trailing 4-2.

Yanks don't have many hits tonight, but they have more than the Phils. And their bullpen has done a better job than has the Phils.

Alfarro looks overmatched, and he strikeouts to end the game.

Great to see the phils were able to make a game of it. And now I’m stuck in traffic...

Franco takes Chapman to the yard, on a 3-2 pitch, after fouling off a bunch. Chapman kept throwing heat, and then hung a slider. Still 2 out, and nobody on, and Phils trailing 4-2.

Yanks don't have many hits tonight, but they have more than the Phils. And their bullpen has done a better job than has the Phils.

Alfarro looks overmatched, and he strikeouts to end the game.
Yanks have the second best bullpen ERA behind only the Astros. Guessing the Phils are at or near the bottom.

This team is beyond frustrating. Taylor made DP gets botched by Cesar, cost the Phils 3 runs, now 4-0 Yanks. With Severino pitching, game is probably out of reach now.

This team is beyond frustrating. Taylor made DP gets botched by Cesar, cost the Phils 3 runs, now 4-0 Yanks. With Severino pitching, game is probably out of reach now.

really a disappointing game tonight for the Phitins. Severino is tremendous, but you have to give your team a chance. The defense was terrible, the batters didn't do much, and Arietta didn't seem to battle to overcome the poor defense behind him.

The Bronx Bombers are clicking, and look to one of the top teams in MLB this year, which makes the Phils results against them in the first two games in the series especially disappointing.

Then again, baseball is a strange game, in that the results from individual games, or from a series, don't always give a good perspective on a team. Coming into this series, the Phils won 2 of 3 against the Nats (and should have swept), and the Yanks got swept by the Rays.

really a disappointing game tonight for the Phitins. Severino is tremendous, but you have to give your team a chance. The defense was terrible, the batters didn't do much, and Arietta didn't seem to battle to overcome the poor defense behind him.

The Bronx Bombers are clicking, and look to one of the top teams in MLB this year, which makes the Phils results against them in the first two games in the series especially disappointing.

Then again, baseball is a strange game, in that the results from individual games, or from a series, don't always give a good perspective on a team. Coming into this series, the Phils won 2 of 3 against the Nats (and should have swept), and the Yanks got swept by the Rays.
Arrietta has given up a ton of unearned runs this year. Yankees have a great bullpen, which is the needed recipe for success these days. Obviously, Severino is a stud. I think the Yankees are averaging more than 5 runs a game, which is huge. Torres and Andujar have been impressive.

It's never easy with this bullpen. Hunter has been so disappointing. Couldn't get through one inning with a 4-1 lead. Dominquez will be burned out soon, using him again after 2 innings last night. Hopefully he gets the next 2 outs with minimal pitches.

Reactions: royboy
Hoskins has rebounded nicely with an excellent month of June...bringing up his average, hitting for extra bases, and getting timely hits. He is a key guy for the Phillies offense.

Reactions: Grant Green
Great to see the bullpen bounce back tonight after the Velasquez injury. That was a hell of a play on the injury, all guts by Vince. Those 17 runs last evening don't mean squat when your team is now down 2-1 in the series. Make a statement tomorrow and take 3 out of 4.

Reactions: Victor E. Bell
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT