ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Advice for a beginner fly fisherman

Hey all,

I have been fishing for years, mostly for bass, but this Christmas my dad got me a decent starter fly kit and I'd like to give this a shot.

I live right near the Wissahickon, right outside of Philly, so finding a place won't be an issue. My bigger concern obviously is just figuring out what the hell I'm doing. I haven't tried to cast a fly rod since I was kid and that didn't go well!

Basically, any advice you can provide would be appreciated -- learning to cast, which flies to use, good spots to fish along the Wissy or anywhere else. Also, is it worth it to try and get out there this winter? I figure it would be good to get used to the rod before the spring season opens but I don't want to be out there unless there may be some holdover trout left, or anything else really that might bite on a fly.

Thanks in advance.

TCFA, not sure how to personal message on here but I tie a lot of flies and will be happy to send you some, just need an address to send to

Feeling a fly rod load is a lot like riding a bike: it’s just really hard until it’s not. Fly fishing is just a form of delivery, so hopefully you have things like locating fish down pat already. Fly fishing has some unique advatages, mostly associated with being able to manipulate the line, and therefore the fly in the water. And you can re-cast without reeling in entirely in many situations. I’d get an instructor to gets things rolling (doesn’t have to be paid), then it’s about practice as others have said. I started when I was 11. And now, even though I fish mostly single digit days a year, it takes just an hour or so to get the neurons firing right when needed.

TCFA, not sure how to personal message on here but I tie a lot of flies and will be happy to send you some, just need an address to send to
Very generous of you. I'll try and connect via the messaging system here.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT