ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Anyone ever bike the Lehigh Gorge trail?

CF LION

May 29, 2001
Weather looks perfect this week and I'd like to do something with my 13 year old son.

Thought I'd bring up a non-incendiary topic today.

I biked it from White Haven down to Jim Thorpe. It's a nice scenic ride. From White Haven to Jim Thorpe, it's pretty much all downhill.

Reactions: CF LION
Yes, being originally from Jim Thorpe. It is a 2% grade, so even going "up" doesn't feel like uphill. You can tell the difference but a ride up and back eliminates the need for 2 cars. Start at Jim Thorpe or Glen Onoko, ride up for as far as you feel like, stop and picnic, then ride back.
Being right next to the river makes it cooler to.
Stop and hike the falls at Glen Onoko....not a difficult climb if you stop at the 2nd falls which is the tallest one

Reactions: CF LION
Thanks for the replies. For personal reasons I can't stray too far from home base this summer. Looking for day trip things to do with my son.

Actually, the grand canyon of PA is the Pine Creek Gorge. The OP is asking about the Lehigh River Gorge, which is not the grand canyon of PA.
Well there you go. I haven't ridden it. I did the Pine Creek Gorge. May want to do this one too.

I have but biked both gorges. Pine creek a couple of years ago, and Lehigh gorge numerous times when I lived in Hazleton in the early 90's. Most of my Lehigh trips were with my daughter in a child seat on the back of my bike, so you can tell from that the grade is not so bad.

Back in the 90's I had 2 bikes which I rode on the Lehigh Gorge trail - a 10 speed road bike and a made in PA Cannondale SM 700 mountain bike which I purchased at Blue Mountain Sports in Jim Thorpe. Just sold the Cannondale about a month ago since I don't have much use for it in Florida as I ride a Specialized cross tour bike, mostly on the Legacy trail which is a paved old railroad bed. It was a sad day letting the Cannondale go as I logged a lot of miles on it riding trails and old railroad beds in the mountains of NE PA back in the day.

Yes, being originally from Jim Thorpe. It is a 2% grade, so even going "up" doesn't feel like uphill. You can tell the difference but a ride up and back eliminates the need for 2 cars. Start at Jim Thorpe or Glen Onoko, ride up for as far as you feel like, stop and picnic, then ride back.
Being right next to the river makes it cooler to.
Stop and hike the falls at Glen Onoko....not a difficult climb if you stop at the 2nd falls which is the tallest one

Original Chunker here too 87, good to hear from another. What a beautiful
Town and surrounding area, miss it more everyday even though I visit often.

Reactions: PSU87
Original Chunker here too 87, good to hear from another. What a beautiful
Town and surrounding area, miss it more everyday even though I visit often.
Parents and sister still live there, so I get back quite frequently as well. My son is going up to spend 3 weeks with Grandma and pop pop doing the things I did growing up there....hiking Pisgah, fishing Chunk creek, Beltsville and Chunk Lake. ...

Reactions: jschrantz
Parents and sister still live there, so I get back quite frequently as well. My son is going up to spend 3 weeks with Grandma and pop pop doing the things I did growing up there....hiking Pisgah, fishing Chunk creek, Beltsville and Chunk Lake. ...

Same here,, I plan on returning often with my young girls as they get bigger to swim Mauch Chunk Lake, visit the grandparents, and mountain bike of course. Wish your son a fun trip, best wishes to all your family. I've moved a good bit around, but everyone so super friendly up there and lots to do always.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT