ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Bike Shopping Question

mickey_PSU

Gold Member
Feb 1, 2006
NEPA
As usual, this is my "go to" place for information on just about any topic... as some might recall, my son will be starting law school this fall. His apartment is located such that using a bike to get to and from the school (Penn state for those who didn't know) is something he's likely to do. Here's the issue, we haven't been in the market for a bike of any sort since he was a kid and since he went to college in Philly, he didn't have much reason or opportunity to use a bike. State College is an awesome place for biking, with lots of trails and such so I'm now looking to get him a bike that he could use for both commuting to school and for trail riding. I started looking around and basically got overwhelmed by the choices. Neither he or I are interested in spending thousands on a bike, at least not now, so I'm looking for a good quality trail bike that will not be used for competitive mountain biking and racing. When he was a kid, he had bikes made by Trek and Giant and as I recall, we looked at one made by Janus? Nowadays there are tons of brands out there and I'm just not sure what direction I should be heading in.

Back when I was riding bikes, something I havent' done in years, there were 10 speeds with 26" tires... nowadays there's 26", 27.5" and 29" tires; different tire widths, etc. (those knowledgeable on the subject already know all this).

Any suggestions, reccomendations and thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I'm looking for a starting point- obviously, he'll need to give them a test ride before making any decisions but for now, I need a starting point. As always, thanks in advance for the help.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News