ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Cold Cut Pizza from Hazleton

Not cold pizza but the best in the nation.....twice! Joint in tiny Emporium Pa has won national competitions twice. And the owner coached a team that won a contest in Italy.

GTF out of here! In Emporium? Really?

Reactions: The Spin Meister
Our tailgating mates and shot clock originators from Norristown always bring Corropolese pizza from the Corropolese bakery. Tomato pie with Romano sprinkled on it. Good stuff.

red-2.jpg

We also have the occasional Old Fashioned pie from Cortese in Binghamton

dscf9182.jpg
The one from Cortese looks delicious, i like the slightly browned cheese.

I'm seeing a road trip in my future as soon as winter is over.
Just checked out their menu -- wow. Reminds me of the menu at Matucci's in Mount Carmel. Definite road trip in the Spring https://www.pizzapalaceplus.com/. 75 miles from State College.
I have a couple projects up that way, so I'll stop for lunch on my way through. Then probably for bread sticks to go on the way home. But I can't get anywhere near my projects in the winter. I've gotten stuck up there in the middle of nowhere before, don't care to again.
Yep, me too
Just don’t go on a Monday as they are closed Mondays. Drove over three hours one time to see the elk, but pizza shop was closed!

Last edited:
And then there is the Cheese Store, this is their Valentine's Day tray.
149129325_3854687384554397_5959522188601764100_n.jpg
While we’re getting a bit off topic, is anyone familiar with the “Tyrolean Sausage” from Tarone’s market? My grandpa was 100% tyrolean and always had it on hand. I have no idea what they use in the way of spices, but it is a totally unique taste that I haven’t had anywhere else, and I am a cured meat snob.

Reactions: Ranger Dan
There have been a few threads on pizza throughout the years - Nittany Ziggy has one from 2016. I posted one from 2018 (link below) about Western PA/Ohio Valley pizza style. I still hear New Haven, CT is the best pizza in America - there is a place in Maryland that does it; gonna have to check it out.

I have a good buddy of mine who swears by DiCarlo's

While we’re getting a bit off topic, is anyone familiar with the “Tyrolean Sausage” from Tarone’s market? My grandpa was 100% tyrolean and always had it on hand. I have no idea what they use in the way of spices, but it is a totally unique taste that I haven’t had anywhere else, and I am a cured meat snob.
I’ve never head of Tyrolean ... where is this from?

I've had Senape's. Wife's grandma lived in Hazleton, so we would get it a lot. Unfortunately, grandma passed away several years ago and I haven't had any since. Actually, it was a few years before that. She had sold her house and was living her final years with my in-laws on the West Shore.

I prefer my mom's homemade pizza to all the others. I make it in a deep dish pizza stone on my Kamado Joe. It's really good.
Recipe? I’d like to try it.

Recipe? I’d like to try it.

No exact science to it but here is her instructions to me.

The crust is simply Pilbury Hot Roll Mix. It has a pizza crust recipe on the box. Follow that for the crust.

Then slice up half of a medium onion and one whole bell pepper (any color). Sauté lightly.

Sauce is one 8 oz can of tomato sauce and one 6 oz can of tomato paste. Add in flavor to your taste any or all of salt, pepper, oregano, basil, chili powder, garlic powder, red pepper flakes and parmesan cheese. Heat until it bubbles for a couple minutes to mix in flavors.

Turn all that into a pizza. I add mushrooms, pepperoni and a generous amount of cheese. As mentioned, I make mine in a deep dish pizza stone on a kamado grill. But a 10 x 15 or so baking sheet with about 3/4 inch sides works too. Bake at about 425 until the crust starts to brown. Delicious stuff. If you try it, let me know. It’s unique and probably not for everyone.

This tweet shows my recent attempt.

I’ve never head of Tyrolean ... where is this from?
Not a country, at least not in centuries, but a region. Currently split between between southern Austria and Northern Italy. It is in the Alps, and has a lot of the Bavarian type culture.

Hazleton had a large migration of people from the Tyrol region way back when. My great grandfather’s immigration papers say he came from the Austro-Hungarian empire. The region was split into parts of Austria and Italy after WW1.

No exact science to it but here is her instructions to me.

The crust is simply Pilbury Hot Roll Mix. It has a pizza crust recipe on the box. Follow that for the crust.

Then slice up half of a medium onion and one whole bell pepper (any color). Sauté lightly.

Sauce is one 8 oz can of tomato sauce and one 6 oz can of tomato paste. Add in flavor to your taste any or all of salt, pepper, oregano, basil, chili powder, garlic powder, red pepper flakes and parmesan cheese. Heat until it bubbles for a couple minutes to mix in flavors.

Turn all that into a pizza. I add mushrooms, pepperoni and a generous amount of cheese. As mentioned, I make mine in a deep dish pizza stone on a kamado grill. But a 10 x 15 or so baking sheet with about 3/4 inch sides works too. Bake at about 425 until the crust starts to brown. Delicious stuff. If you try it, let me know. It’s unique and probably not for everyone.

This tweet shows my recent attempt.

Thanks!!! I'll give it a go once our snow storm passes ans I can get to the grocery store. (Oregon)

Thanks for that eng. Absolutely no appeal to me whatsoever, but to each their own.
I think you'd be surprised.
I consider myself a bit of a pizza guru....I make my own dough and my own sauce...

But....the cold pitza has its place and sometimes its just that right snack from the fridge.

As much as I like a Neopolitan style pie with my dough and my sauce cooked at 750 degrees....I still like Senape's.

I think you'd be surprised.
I consider myself a bit of a pizza guru....I make my own dough and my own sauce...

But....the cold pitza has its place and sometimes its just that right snack from the fridge.

As much as I like a Neopolitan style pie with my dough and my sauce cooked at 750 degrees....I still like Senape's.
I guess I would give it a shot if I could get it. Just doesn’t seem like something I’d like.

Reactions: PSU87
Thinking about "cold pizza", I remember when lunch on Sunday while driving home from a game was the previous evening's HiWay Pizza....

I worked in McAdoo (next door to Hazleton) from 1990 to 1995. Those people, mostly from the Hazleton area, loved SENAPE'S cold pizza! They would bring cold slices to work for lunch.

Always Senape’s for me. Love the end pieces that are a little burnt and have the cheese crusted on. Not as sweet and I think they use the best quality cheese. Longo’s is fine, very similar to Senape’s, just not quite as good, but many disagree.

Agree that Carmen’s is similar to Philly tomato pie (with cheese).
You can pre-order box with all ends.

Reactions: diontechristmas
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT