ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Cricket

psumacw

Sep 18, 2017
Figured we had cycling and hockey already so maybe we have some cricket fans on the board as well.

The 2024 T20 World Cup just started this past weekend, being co-hosted by USA and West Indies. USA won their first match against Canada and just completed their bowling innings against Pakistan, holding them to a reasonable 159 runs. Beating Pakistan would be an incredible achievement, as USA is 18 and Pakistan is up at 6 in the T20 rankings.

I was at the Sri Lanka vs South Africa match on Monday in NYC as it lined up with the end of our cruise. Being honest, the experience was a bit disappointing, mostly due to the stadium, but I was happy to finally attend my first match.

Glad to answer any questions, but I also understand if this thread dies on the vine.

My parents owned a Cricket. Same color as this one:
c58960c2bedae034145a822a5e43be57.jpg

Oh, sorry. Wrong cricket discussion.
giphy.gif

USA HAS DONE IT! they were cruising through their batting innings and needed on 56 from the final 45 balls with 8 wickets in hand but their scoring slowed way down and got 4 on their final ball to send it to a super over. put up 18 in that over and pakistan could only muster 13!

that's what we do!

They are putting in a cricket field in my local area, a club is paying for it in an athletic area with soccer and softball fields. I did not know NEPA had a cricket club.

USA HAS DONE IT! they were cruising through their batting innings and needed on 56 from the final 45 balls with 8 wickets in hand but their scoring slowed way down and got 4 on their final ball to send it to a super over. put up 18 in that over and pakistan could only muster 13!

that's what we do!
I want to talk trash to some of my Pakistani colleagues but I’m out of my depth with cricket.

My parents owned a Cricket. Same color as this one:
c58960c2bedae034145a822a5e43be57.jpg

Oh, sorry. Wrong cricket discussion.
giphy.gif
Were your Cricket-owning parents California hippies, marching to the beat of their own drum? Because google reveals an article that says:

“Chrysler claimed that “To know a Cricket is to love a Cricket,” but the final North American sales figures for 1971 told a completely different story: Pinto, 352,402; Vega, 274,699; Cricket, 27,682.”

😀

that's what we do!
After the first sentence I have no idea if this is even the English language.

I barely understand the game myself but always enjoy when someone from the board reveals some passion for their side sport/hobby/obsession.

My understanding about here in NY is that security is really stepped up, especially for the Pakistan India match next week. The venue is out on Long Island not far from where I grew up.

I barely understand the game myself but always enjoy when someone from the board reveals some passion for their side sport/hobby/obsession.

My understanding about here in NY is that security is really stepped up, especially for the Pakistan India match next week. The venue is out on Long Island not far from where I grew up.
There are pickup games all over the place in Austin. We’ve got a ton of IT workers from India, so it makes sense.

I want to talk trash to some of my Pakistani colleagues but I’m out of my depth with cricket.
Here is all the ammo you need for trash talking some Pakistanis.

Figured we had cycling and hockey already so maybe we have some cricket fans on the board as well.

The 2024 T20 World Cup just started this past weekend, being co-hosted by USA and West Indies. USA won their first match against Canada and just completed their bowling innings against Pakistan, holding them to a reasonable 159 runs. Beating Pakistan would be an incredible achievement, as USA is 18 and Pakistan is up at 6 in the T20 rankings.

I was at the Sri Lanka vs South Africa match on Monday in NYC as it lined up with the end of our cruise. Being honest, the experience was a bit disappointing, mostly due to the stadium, but I was happy to finally attend my first match.

Glad to answer any questions, but I also understand if this thread dies on the vine.im to the 1999 World Cup. Lots of fine drinks and nice people, but, I never was able to grasp the rules of Cricket. Yep …. It’s the off season. Cycling, iHockey, Cricket, what’s up next?

Glad to answer any questions, but I also understand if this thread dies on the vine.
I attended the 1999 World Cup for the better part of a week (don’t ask …. but it was free for me). Fans were fanatical, booze flowed into the early morning hours, but, DAMN, I never gained the slightest understanding of their game lingo or why they spray beer so frequently.

Reactions: goldenanimal
They are putting in a cricket field in my local area, a club is paying for it in an athletic area with soccer and softball fields. I did not know NEPA had a cricket club.
I know where you're coming from, I had no idea that SE PA (Philly) had a cricket club either until I stumbled upon the club when I lived in Philly in the early 2000's. https://www.philacricket.com/activities-and-amenities/recreation

It's now primarily a golf club, but was founded on cricket and they still have members who play. I found this excerpt from the Philadelphia Cricket Club interesting:

"Cricket is the second most popular sport in the world (after soccer). As its name implies, The Philadelphia Cricket Club was started as a club to play cricket, and cricket was played here from the Club's inception until the 1920s. It was revived about 20 years ago and has enjoyed steady support since. Cricket is a team sport with 11 players with similarities to baseball.

A close friend of mine, originally from Trinidad, loves cricket and tried to get me interested, but I found it boring (and I love baseball), confusing, and it lasts so long. Per Wikipedia: "Typically, Test and first-class cricket matches are played over three to five days with, at least, six hours of cricket being played each day". I know there are various formats, but all are long. I think a batter can keep hitting as long as he doesn't get an out.

Reactions: 86PSUPaul

So glad to see the USA (and West Indies) hosting this event and bringing exposure to a sport literally unknown in the US, even tough it's the second most popular sport in the world. I guess I empathize with this as a college wrestling fan, always looking for opportunity to grow the sport.

Reactions: Chris Watts
I attended my only cricket match in South Africa in about 2005. I have no idea who played, and to this day have no better understanding of the game than I did in 2004. But, they had beer in the stadium, so all was good.

I know where you're coming from, I had no idea that SE PA (Philly) had a cricket club either until I stumbled upon the club when I lived in Philly in the early 2000's. https://www.philacricket.com/activities-and-amenities/recreation

It's now primarily a golf club, but was founded on cricket and they still have members who play. I found this excerpt from the Philadelphia Cricket Club interesting:

"Cricket is the second most popular sport in the world (after soccer). As its name implies, The Philadelphia Cricket Club was started as a club to play cricket, and cricket was played here from the Club's inception until the 1920s. It was revived about 20 years ago and has enjoyed steady support since. Cricket is a team sport with 11 players with similarities to baseball.

A close friend of mine, originally from Trinidad, loves cricket and tried to get me interested, but I found it boring (and I love baseball), confusing, and it lasts so long. Per Wikipedia: "Typically, Test and first-class cricket matches are played over three to five days with, at least, six hours of cricket being played each day". I know there are various formats, but all are long. I think a batter can keep hitting as long as he doesn't get an out.

there are 3 main varieties of cricket: test, one day internationals (ODI), and t20.

test is the one that gets brought up most often as being long and tedious, which is hard to argue with. in baseball terms both teams get 2 times to bat and 10 outs each time they're up. it can last up to 5 days, but if the losing team has not exhausted its outs by the end of that 5th day, it's a draw. they break for lunch and also for tea each day.

for ODI's each team gets 50 overs (where an over is essentially 6 pitches) and one set of 10 outs. this version typically lasts 6-8 hours.

t20 limits each team to 20 overs with the same 10 outs, so it sort of encourages more swinging for the fences since it's less likely that you'll run out of outs before you run out of pitches. matches are roughly 3 hours.

this world cup is the t20 version of cricket. last year they had the ODI world cup and i believe the final between india and australia was viewed by about a billion people worldwide.

yes i will confirm there were a LOT of cops in and around the stadium, and a significant portion were carrying rifles. apparently there were some threats from isis leading up to the tournament

Reactions: tikk10
If only the ICC had found a better broadcaster in the USA than Willow

seriously. great that they brought it to america physically, but you won't be able to watch it unless you live in one of those 3 cities or you're willing to pay up for willow

luckily VPNs exist

seriously. great that they brought it to america physically, but you won't be able to watch it unless you live in one of those 3 cities or you're willing to pay up for willow

luckily VPNs exist
VPN’s are like the tech era version of duct tape …. or as many others call it Duck tape.

This Indian publication is jokingly referring to the US team as the India H-1B team, with six US players being Indians here in the US on work visas.

This Indian publication is jokingly referring to the US team as the India H-1B team, with six US players being Indians here in the US on work visas.

There are many sports where this works "against" the USA. Athletes come to USA train and go home to complete for another country.

It is a nice joke/story.

Reactions: mhlarch and tikk10
USA was unable to slay another giant, losing a low scoring affair to India. However, we can still advance to the Super 8 with a victory over bottom-of-the-group Ireland on Friday.

Reactions: Chris Watts
USA was unable to slay another giant, losing a low scoring affair to India. However, we can still advance to the Super 8 with a victory over bottom-of-the-group Ireland on Friday.

I take it back. USA advances to the next round by virtue of Florida rain! The field was unplayable and the match was called off. They'll play West Indies, South Africa, and likely Australia (unless they "accidentally" lose their match to Scotland to keep England from advancing) in the Super 8.

I take it back. USA advances to the next round by virtue of Florida rain! The field was unplayable and the match was called off. They'll play West Indies, South Africa, and likely Australia (unless they "accidentally" lose their match to Scotland to keep England from advancing) in the Super 8.
So wait, the US advanced without actually winning merely due to field conditions? And for that same reason Pakistan was eliminated?

I don't want to hear any more complaints about freestyle criteria, people.

So wait, the US advanced without actually winning merely due to field conditions? And for that same reason Pakistan was eliminated?

I don't want to hear any more complaints about freestyle criteria, people.

without winning this match, yes. this was the group stage, which was a 5 team round robin and the top 2 teams advance. USA was 2-1 in their first 3 matches so they had 4 points (2 points for each win). india is leading the group with 6 points from 3 wins, then pakistan and canada were tied at 2 points, both being 1-2 with 1 match to play.

each team gets 1 point for abandoned matches so that took USA to 5 points and out of reach of those 3rd place teams

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT