ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Cycling

Were all three grand tours too much for Sepp? He hasn’t looked himself this year.

Were all three grand tours too much for Sepp? He hasn’t looked himself this year.
Potentially but they’ve had off a ton since then. I will say, he usually doesn’t race particularly well in one-week races. We’ll see how he looks come the Tour

Reactions: mcpat
Yates destroying the Tour de Suisse field with Almeida the only way close.

If Vingegaard isn’t healthy (and even if he is, given all of Visma’s injuries) the Tour de France might be a disaster.

Team Oil Money just has way too many top riders in addition to Pogacar

Yates destroying the Tour de Suisse field with Almeida the only way close.

If Vingegaard isn’t healthy (and even if he is, given all of Visma’s injuries) the Tour de France might be a disaster.

Team Oil Money just has way too many top riders in addition to Pogacar
Just saw that Brandon McNulty is skipping the Tour to focus on the Olympic TT.

Don’t know if that’s legit or if he just didn’t make the cut.

He’s one of the best do-it-all riders in the world, though. He can pull on the flats and make it over multiple HC climbs. Had a spectacular ride with Pog a couple years ago when they attacked REALLY early.

Last edited:
Just saw that Brandon McNulty is skipping the Tour to focus on the Olympic TT.

Don’t know if that’s legit or if he just didn’t make the cut.

He’s one of the best do-it-all riders in the world, though. He can pull on the flats and make it over multiple HC climbs. Had a spectacular ride with Pog a couple years ago when they attacked REALLY early.

He wasn’t in the team that UAE announced months ago but not sure how much of that was a mutual decision. I think he has an outside chance of medaling in the TT, but it would be an upset for sure

what does biking have to do with wrestling???
Do you see the "OT" in the thread title? That stands for "off topic", or an indicator that the thread is probably not about wrestling, but just something of interest to people on this board. It's a warning to just not read it if you are only interested in wrestling here.

Kthxbai.

Is Jonas the leader? Wout? Jonas and Wout as co-leaders? What’s Sepp’s role? Sepp hasn’t looked too great this season thus far. I wonder if riding all three tours last season was a bit much. It’s not like he took it easy in any of them either.

Ironically, the team would have probably all ridden for Roglic this tour with how the season to date has played out.

Is Jonas the leader? Wout? Jonas and Wout as co-leaders? What’s Sepp’s role? Sepp hasn’t looked too great this season thus far. I wonder if riding all three tours last season was a bit much. It’s not like he took it easy in any of them either.

Ironically, the team would have probably all ridden for Roglic this tour with how the season to date has played out.
If Jonas is going, it’s hard to imagine they don’t believe he has a chance to win

If Jonas is going, it’s hard to imagine they don’t believe he has a chance to win

Or maybe Jumbo doesn't really expect him to make the podium and is using the TDF as a training/tune-up ride for the Vuelta (and next season) for Jonas. if he surpasses expectations, that's bonus for them.

Either way, from a business/marketing perspective, it's hard to not put your marquee player on the field, especially when doing so will generate enormous attention, coverage, and free publicity. Certainly more people will likely tune in to the TDF to see if Jonas defies the odds and at least takes a stage or two.

I just hope this doesn't undermine Vingo's full recovery and he's able to return to form so we can have more clash of the titans at grand tours.

Or maybe Jumbo doesn't really expect him to make the podium and is using the TDF as a training/tune-up ride for the Vuelta (and next season) for Jonas. if he surpasses expectations, that's bonus for them.

Either way, from a business/marketing perspective, it's hard to not put your marquee player on the field, especially when doing so will generate enormous attention, coverage, and free publicity. Certainly more people will likely tune in to the TDF to see if Jonas defies the odds and at least takes a stage or two.

I just hope this doesn't undermine Vingo's full recovery and he's able to return to form so we can have more clash of the titans at grand tours.
Believe Jonas has already said he won’t ride the Vuelta this year do to some other obligation but can’t remember where I saw that

Wout isn't a leader, he's a stage hunter. He's not a threat for the podium. If Jonas is not up to the task of contending, then they could let Wout have free reign to get into breaks and go for stages instead of his domestique duties. If Jonas isn't healthy enough to be a GC leader, I guess they'd let Sepp see how high he could place, but if Jonas isn't up to snuff, Sepp isn't going to have much support in that role, so he'd probably be relegated to being a follower and trying to see if he can get a top 10 finish.

That Team Visma is so stout when healthy. However, given the ailments of Jonas and WVA, and that Sepp seems to be "off" this year, and the recent form of Matteo, I wouldn't be surprised to see Jorgenson become their GC guy this Tour. I'd love to see it, but I still don't think anyone is touching Tadej.

In Olympic cycling news, the US women's cycling team includes Taylor Knibb, a *triathlete*. She won the US TT title, which according to Olympic rules restricting the number of team members (or something like that) and other USACycling rules means she got to choose to do the RR, which it appears she has. It will be her first RR...literally. She's also doing the individual triathlon, and the Mixed Team Relay the day after the RR. I believe she got a silver medal for the MTR in Rio. She's 26, and was on the track, x-country and swim teams in college (don't ask where). She is a monster on the bike, but it remains to be seen how she handles a pro peloton. TT on 7/27, triathlon on 7/31, RR on 8/4, and MTR on 8/5.

More on the US team: https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/...neup-for-olympic-road-cycling-events-in-paris

In Olympic cycling news, the US women's cycling team includes Taylor Knibb, a *triathlete*. She won the US TT title, which according to Olympic rules restricting the number of team members (or something like that) and other USACycling rules means she got to choose to do the RR, which it appears she has. It will be her first RR...literally. She's also doing the individual triathlon, and the Mixed Team Relay the day after the RR. I believe she got a silver medal for the MTR in Rio. She's 26, and was on the track, x-country and swim teams in college (don't ask where). She is a monster on the bike, but it remains to be seen how she handles a pro peloton. TT on 7/27, triathlon on 7/31, RR on 8/4, and MTR on 8/5.

More on the US team: https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/...neup-for-olympic-road-cycling-events-in-paris
Dygert has built her entire year around the track and TT. Will be disappointing if she doesn’t get gold in the TT.

Reactions: Chris Watts

I heard Sepp was under the weather for at least part of the Dauphine but no mention of Covid. I'm assuming it's something he picked up afterwards.

Either way, this news feels like kicking Jumbo's dog while they're down. Maybe the stars will align for them to have a magical run and defy the odds. Or it could become clear pretty quickly that they are merely stage hunting and training through. I suspect it'll be the latter.

I heard Sepp was under the weather for at least part of the Dauphine but no mention of Covid. I'm assuming it's something he picked up afterwards.

Either way, this news feels like kicking Jumbo's dog while they're down. Maybe the stars will align for them to have a magical run and defy the odds. Or it could become clear pretty quickly that they are merely stage hunting and training through. I suspect it'll be the latter.
Yeah. It sucks. This was built up as a potential generationally entertaining edition of the Tour and now it feels like it might be one of the lost lopsided in history from an individual and team perspective.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT