ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Do new car GPSs coordinate with other audio?

Op2

Mar 16, 2014
Here's what I mean. If you have your GPS going through your phone and you're driving somewhere and the GPS says to you "Make a right in one-half mile" and you have your radio going or other noise from your car infotainment system, then you may not hear the GPS instructions. What would be optimal would be to have the GPS going through your car and then have your car automatically mute other noise, radio or whatever, when it is about to give GPS instructions to make sure you hear the directions.

What do you think?

Reactions: psu1969a
Here's what I mean. If you have your GPS going through your phone and you're driving somewhere and the GPS says to you "Make a right in one-half mile" and you have your radio going or other noise from your car infotainment system, then you may not hear the GPS instructions. What would be optimal would be to have the GPS going through your car and then have your car automatically mute other noise, radio or whatever, when it is about to give GPS instructions to make sure you hear the directions.

What do you think?
Apple Car Play works perfectly in that regard.

Probably the most common option is using a car stereo with Bluetooth capability.

Then,
Pair your iPhone or iPad to your car. Set the source for your car's audio system to Bluetooth. Navigation settings. Turn on Play voice over Bluetooth.

Depending on the car stereos features you may be able to prioritize the GPS audio instructions over stereo music so you hear turn by turn directions and the music pauses. If the option to prioritize isn’t available with the car stereo you could play music from your phone as well as the GPS directions.

Last edited:
Apple Car Play works perfectly in that regard.
I'm not sure exactly what Apple Car Play does, but it sounds like saying that Apple Car Play knows to turn down your car's radio when it's about toe give you directions. Can Apple Car Play talk to your car radio? Or maybe you're saying that Apple Car Play also serves as your car's radio.

I'm not sure exactly what Apple Car Play does, but it sounds like saying that Apple Car Play knows to turn down your car's radio when it's about toe give you directions. Can Apple Car Play talk to your car radio? Or maybe you're saying that Apple Car Play also serves as your car's radio.
I don't know, but it mutes the radio and Sirius when you get directions. Mine also mutes when I'm in reverse, I guess so I can hear the screams when I back over my neighbor.

What do you think?
Cars so equipped have logic in place to turn down the radio while it announces a turn. In some cars, there are options to allow or disallow this. You also need to have announcements or voice, options turned on in your phone. So both your car and phone (Google Maps, apple maps, waze) have to have the option turned on.

BTW, I just bought a device on Amazon that automatically hooks up to CarPlay (apple phones) or Android Auto (Android phones) via Bluetooth so you don' have to plug your phone into the outlet. It hooks up as soon as you turn the car on without having to do anything at all. You can then use things like Spotify, Iheartradio, Sirius XM or whatever so you can listen to streamed music or other streamed content (audiobooks, TED Talks, Joe Rogan, etc).

Reactions: bdgan
Separate question. Most manufacturers are discontinuing native GPS systems in favor of cell phone apps like Android Auto and Apple Car Play. But Google is cancelling Android Auto in favor of Google Assistant Driving mode. Has anybody on the board made the switch?

Separate question. Most manufacturers are discontinuing native GPS systems in favor of cell phone apps like Android Auto and Apple Car Play. But Google is cancelling Android Auto in favor of Google Assistant Driving mode. Has anybody on the board made the switch?
I believe Android Auto still works through your car but you can't use it on your phone as a standalone.

Reactions: Obliviax
Cars so equipped have logic in place to turn down the radio while it announces a turn. In some cars, there are options to allow or disallow this. You also need to have announcements or voice, options turned on in your phone. So both your car and phone (Google Maps, apple maps, waze) have to have the option turned on.

BTW, I just bought a device on Amazon that automatically hooks up to CarPlay (apple phones) or Android Auto (Android phones) via Bluetooth so you don' have to plug your phone into the outlet. It hooks up as soon as you turn the car on without having to do anything at all. You can then use things like Spotify, Iheartradio, Sirius XM or whatever so you can listen to streamed music or other streamed content (audiobooks, TED Talks, Joe Rogan, etc).
You shouldn't need to buy anything extra to do this in a modern car. Almost all modern vehicles have integrated Bluetooth natively.

Reactions: PSU2UNC
You shouldn't need to buy anything extra to do this in a modern car. Almost all modern vehicles have integrated Bluetooth natively.
Hmmm...some yes and some no.

First, you are probably talking about a "new car". Some do and some don't. Many, if not most, require you to plug in your phone in order to get carplay. For example, I've got a 2020 Mercedes. My wife has a 2022 Jeep Wrangler. My one son has a 2023 Ford Bronco. My other son has a 2022 Lexus. None of those cars has Bluetooth for carplay or android auto. they all do for text and voice call integration but none do for Carplay or Android Auto.

This device connects carplay and andoid auto as soon as I start the car even if the phone is in my pocket.

I believe Android Auto still works through your car but you can't use it on your phone as a standalone.
It definitely still works on your car. I just don't know if Google plans to kill it at some point or just allow it to run along side Google Assistant.

Hmmm...some yes and some no.

First, you are probably talking about a "new car". Some do and some don't. Many, if not most, require you to plug in your phone in order to get carplay. For example, I've got a 2020 Mercedes. My wife has a 2022 Jeep Wrangler. My one son has a 2023 Ford Bronco. My other son has a 2022 Lexus. None of those cars has Bluetooth for carplay or android auto. they all do for text and voice call integration but none do for Carplay or Android Auto.

This device connects carplay and andoid auto as soon as I start the car even if the phone is in my pocket.
What model 2022 Lexus? I think they all have Bluetooth but I'm not sure they all have wireless Android Auto or Carplay. I know the 2022 ES 350 went wireless but 2021 required plug in. You can buy a jump drive for those models that converts the car to wireless capability.

What model 2022 Lexus? I think they all have Bluetooth but I'm not sure they all have wireless Android Auto or Carplay. I know the 2022 ES 350 went wireless but 2021 required plug in. You can buy a jump drive for those models that converts the car to wireless capability.
IX250.

Right, a lot of cars have Bluetooth to their entertainment and phone systems. Both of my cars do. The point is that if you make/receive a phone call or get a text message it will automatically play through the car's speakers using their Bluetooth capability. What they DON'T do is to allow you to use G-Maps, Waze or Apple Maps or to be able to stream content like Spotify via bluetooth. I suspect it is because they want to sell their own Nav and/or streaming capability (XM). But I don't know that for sure. It seems to me, once you allow for the Bluetooth hookup, making those available is an easy no-brainer. So they had to make a conscious decision to NOT allow it. And that leads me to the speculation that allowing it cut into a revenue opportunity. My Mercedes, for example, wants to charge $20/month for Nav and Internet without going through my phone. They also offer it as part of a driver convenience package that costs about $1500. In fact, it won't let me use my phone's 5G hotspot either. Again, this is easily turned on so they really turn it "off" for some reason and that has to be revenue.

2022-lexus-is-is-300-rwd-angular-front-exterior-view_100828061_l.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT