ADVERTISEMENT

OT/FC: Re-watched S1E1 of Mad Men - some interesting observations...

A

anon_xdc8rmuek44eq

Funny to go all the way back to the beginning of this show and see how much things have changed. Below are a few observations and notes I made:
Don isn't exactly happy, but not totally miserable either. He cares a lot for Betty and his kids. He's generally pretty fun at the office. Is more into conversation and makes an interesting remark to Pete at one point concerning his ambition and shaming of Peggy on her first day - 'You'll die alone, in this office, with a little bit of hair, and will never rise above middle management. You know why? Because no one will like you.' Weird to hear Don talk about being liked.Further, funny to see how Pete is one of Don's biggest advocates now. He likely remembers how awesome Don was in that Lucky Strike meeting.Seed planted pretty early about Peggy's future; Paul Kenzie invites her to look at his copy and remarks, 'There are a lot of female copywriters.' Hard to believe Joan 'made a mistake' with Paul Kenzie, which she mentions while showing Peggy the ropes.Salvatore is really, really not good at hiding his homosexuality. He makes a bunch of statements that will come to be ironic for viewers - 'Why would someone say they want one thing on the outside but actually want something different on the inside?'.Pete and Ken are especially sleazy. Both make physical passes at Peggy. Ken is a huge horn dog, which is funny because he's turned into one of the most balanced, reserved characters on the show.Best exchange between Don and Roger - Don: 'What do women want?', .....Roger: 'Who cares?'Joan makes a pretty big point of having Peggy meet the switchboard girls. One is played by Kristen Schaal, who now stars with January Jones in 'Last Man on Earth.'Don's very first drink? An old fashioned, less than five minutes into the show.They keep making a point of having Don and Pete talk about Pete wanting 'Don's job.' And in the meeting with Lucky Strike, Pete bombs when he tries to use the research data on cigarettes Don threw away. Pete did turn out to be a pretty good accounts man though.The picture of Pete's fiancee he holds up while sort of lamenting having to get married makes you actually feel a bit sorry for him - she's certainly not the same Trudy Campbell he'll end up with.Betty's concern for Sally's looks begin here too - after she loses control of her car and gets into an accident with the kids, she mentions how horrible, worse than dying even, it would be for Sally to have to go through life with a scar on her face. This came up in a recent episode where Sally busted her nose and Betty is furious that Sally would ruin 'the nose that I gave you!'
Anyway, I found it a lot of fun comparing where things are now to where they were. Am re-watching the entire series when I get some time. Will post other observations to discuss with others as they pop up.

This post was edited on 4/10 12:26 PM by Midnighter

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT