ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Ford Edge had a Oil

wlawn

Sep 27, 2016
Change at a Ford dealer 3 weeks ago,my wife was driving home Saturday and oil light came on and car just died that quickly. Took it to my mechanic,said oil filter was not tight and all the oil came out and the engine is dead. I called the dealer and they came to get the car to look at it.What do you thing will happen or what are my options.

Wow, that is B-A-D. Sorry for your misfortune but your misfortune of using a Ford dealer who's tech didn't tighten the filter is NOT your fault, it should be on them. I bet your wife didn't adjust the filter on the way home.

Good luck and let us know what you hear and how the new engine purrs along! Here's wishing you an easy settlement and full remedy.

IMAGE_Yes_No_-_Jan_Dils_5876_2_1_41600_invite_1

her slogan is, 'she won't take no for an answer'!

Depends on the dealer if they’re willing to take responsibility. Had a friend who had something similar to you where the filter had come loose on the highway after getting an oil change at a quick change kind of place. When he contacted them they refused to take responsibility because once he drove off their lot they couldn’t say what he may have done to the filter. Him being a young buck at the time had to take it on the chin since he couldn’t afford legal representation.

Change at a Ford dealer 3 weeks ago,my wife was driving home Saturday and oil light came on and car just died that quickly. Took it to my mechanic,said oil filter was not tight and all the oil came out and the engine is dead. I called the dealer and they came to get the car to look at it.What do you thing will happen or what are my options.
My guess, you are in for a big fight and lots of headaches ahead. Was all of your maintenance done at this same place? Could help you if that's the case and can show them they were only ones to work on car.

I’m betting they try any way they can to weasel out of it. Once you tire of discussing this with the dealer, tell him you are taking out an ad in local paper to put your story out there, and you will be all over social media with it. If they don’t change their tune, I’d leave and just deal with corporate about the incident and treatment at dealership. I’d go up the chain of command until they dug up Henry to deal with it. Their screw up, you should be made while.

Oil change three weeks ago? And just Saturday all of a sudden the oil light came on and the engine was immediately dead? Do you think you are a light would come on with enough time to give notice usually doesn't happen that quick does it?

They owe you a new engine, simple as that.

And not one that's rebuilt, which they will try to do. For best results, contact an attorney who deals with lemon laws, and see what they say. The initial consult is free, and if it's not find someone else. If that vehicle is still fairly new or under warranty you may have a case for a replacement vehicle. This is no minor repair, and car companies are more likely to take you seriously if you hire an attorney pronto.

Recently had the same thing happen. Oil change that the dealer didn’t tighten things. Ended up needing a new engine as a result, thankfully still under warranty. Push hard that it was the dealerships fault. Threaten legal action and hopefully they will oblige.

And not one that's rebuilt, which they will try to do. For best results, contact an attorney who deals with lemon laws, and see what they say. The initial consult is free, and if it's not find someone else. If that vehicle is still fairly new or under warranty you may have a case for a replacement vehicle. This is no minor repair, and car companies are more likely to take you seriously if you hire an attorney pronto.

Unless it's a new edge, and the engine is still being produced on the assembly line at the factory, it's going to be a remanned engine. Even if it is, it probably won't be a new engine. Considering remanneds come with a 3 yrs unlimited milee warranty from Ford, it's not that big of a deal.

Oil change three weeks ago? And just Saturday all of a sudden the oil light came on and the engine was immediately dead? Do you think you are a light would come on with enough time to give notice usually doesn't happen that quick does it?

Depends on what year the Edge is. Older models won't throw a light until it's almost all gone. Your first question is where I'm stuck.

Depends on what year the Edge is. Older models won't throw a light until it's almost all gone. Your first question is where I'm stuck.
It's possible that the filter was not tight enough, but snug enough to not leak until vibration loosened it a bit more- and enough to leak badly

Reactions: step.eng69
It's possible that the filter was not tight enough, but snug enough to not leak until vibration loosened it a bit more- and enough to leak badly

I understand what you're saying. This isn't what I typically see when a tech f**ks up and doesn't tighten it all the way, or double orings it, or flat out didn't put oil in it. I have way more questions than suggestions at this point to take a guess at whether they commit to eating the repair or not. I know what my service department would do next, but 3 weeks is throwing me.

Did my own and didnt get filter tight enough somehow been doing them for yrs. Oil gushing in a mennards parking lot ............I was so lucky put 4 qts in my truck that takes six and all was good!!

Filters aren’t supposed to be torqued. Tighten by hand and then maybe 1/4-1/2 of a turn with a filter wrench and that’s it. That’s just terrible luck. Sounds like he/she skipped the wrench part.

Good luck.

Happened to my wife only it wasn’t the fuel cap....the idiots forgot to put new oil in. Wife drove about 1 mile when car started shaking. I called dealership who had it towed back.

They gave me a coupon for a free oil change in the future. I asked them to just comp the one they screwed up. They said they couldn’t do it. I told them to keep the coupon because I didn’t plan on ever coming back to the dealership for anything and I’d be sure to tell everybody about it. So if you are in the market for a new car and you live in Charlotte NC, don’t go to Priority Honda. Eff ‘em. I believe they also have a store in Virginia.

I worked with a guy that had his new Subaru (a few weeks old) in for work of some kind. They had it up on the lift and it actually fell off, 6 feet to the ground. He wanted a new replacement. They fought him. He eventually won before getting a lawyer.

I damaged a motorcycle engine years ago due to an oil leak of my own creation. The filter was internal, and you had to replace an o-ring in the filter cover before bolting it back on. You could usually get a few changes out of one o-ring as long as it didn't have a flat spot- which this one did and I managed to miss it.

My wife had a similar issue at jiffy lube. She declined a transmission oil change but apparently they started draining it before asking and then just put the plug back in. The automatic transmission wasn’t shifting right because it was low in oil. She only drove home and then back to jiffy lube the next morning, but jiffy lube tried denying it. Eventually they agreed to doing a transmission flush and change at their cost, but never admitted to partially draining. They also gave some coupons for free oil changes, but who wants to go back there again.

My wife had a similar issue at jiffy lube. She declined a transmission oil change but apparently they started draining it before asking and then just put the plug back in. The automatic transmission wasn’t shifting right because it was low in oil. She only drove home and then back to jiffy lube the next morning, but jiffy lube tried denying it. Eventually they agreed to doing a transmission flush and change at their cost, but never admitted to partially draining. They also gave some coupons for free oil changes, but who wants to go back there again.

One of the reasons I never got to a chain or even a dealer for service. Too often I've found that the techs really don't know very much, but how much do they need to know to change oil? If I can't do something on our cars myself, I take it to a local shop where the owner and his assistant are both really good.

Reactions: 91Joe95
Sorry to hear that. I hope you can get it fixed by them.

Car dealerships are the worst for maintenance. I almost got kicked out of a Toyota dealership once because they kept insisting that I get more work done than what was required by the manual. The guy kept saying that this additional work was "recommended by the manufacturer." I said bullshit, what is recommended by the manufacturer is written in the manual unless they are giving you different information than what they are giving me, which I highly doubt. After I demanded to see the documentation of the recommendations from the manufacturer, they finally agreed to just do the oil change which is all the manual (and warranty) required.

My Ford needed an oil change a few months ago. I went to the dealers website and selected to schedule my maintenance online. Of course I could not schedule online but had to fill out a form so they could contact me. I told them to contact me by email only. I put in the comments for them not to call me since I don't want the distraction at work. The very next day they call me. I figured if they can't even get that right, I will not go there. I had my regular mechanic do the oil change.

Sorry to hear that. I hope you can get it fixed by them.

Car dealerships are the worst for maintenance. I almost got kicked out of a Toyota dealership once because they kept insisting that I get more work done than what was required by the manual. The guy kept saying that this additional work was "recommended by the manufacturer." I said bullshit, what is recommended by the manufacturer is written in the manual unless they are giving you different information than what they are giving me, which I highly doubt. After I demanded to see the documentation of the recommendations from the manufacturer, they finally agreed to just do the oil change which is all the manual (and warranty) required.

My Ford needed an oil change a few months ago. I went to the dealers website and selected to schedule my maintenance online. Of course I could not schedule online but had to fill out a form so they could contact me. I told them to contact me by email only. I put in the comments for them not to call me since I don't want the distraction at work. The very next day they call me. I figured if they can't even get that right, I will not go there. I had my regular mechanic do the oil change.

Dealer service departments are notorious for overselling. The only time I take our cars in is when they advertise oil change cheaper than I can do myself. You know the drill after that. Usually tell them that I'll take it to my mechanic. Generally ends discussion. Once the service rep told me I needed rear brakes. I thanked him and told him I'd do them myself. He was incredulous. "You can do the yourself?" I just said "yeah" and got an argument (hence the recommendation to tell them you'll take it to your mechanic). Pulled the wheels and the pads were just under half worn and the rotors were still well within spec. Two years later replaced them. Cost was a quarter of what the dealer wanted plus an hour and a half of a Sunday afternoon.

One of the reasons I never got to a chain or even a dealer for service. Too often I've found that the techs really don't know very much, but how much do they need to know to change oil? If I can't do something on our cars myself, I take it to a local shop where the owner and his assistant are both really good.
It's funny you say that. I recently had the exact opposite experience.

I have a 2004 F-150. Bought it new. Only 50K miles. The transmission went. Took it to the local garage I had been using for years. Completely trustworthy. He told me I needed a new transmission, which would be a rebuilt transmission from a core with 125K miles on it for about $3500. I said, if you don't mind, I am going to get a second opinion. I took it to the Ford dealer who made the relatively simple repair for $750.

Now, I realize, it's not an oil change, but I found from this experience that the dealerships know a lot that the small guys don't. They certainly have better diagnostic equipment.

Usually when oil pressure falls to a low limit the fuel pump shuts down stopping the engine! In GM cars for sure.

Took my Toyota Camry to the dealer for a recall fix that had to do with the oil line. After I returned home, I went to take a short trip to the store and started the engine. The engine spewed crankcase oil all over my garage floor. Had to get my car towed back to the dealership where they found the recall part had been installed incorrectly. They reinstalled the part correctly and being magnanimous (sarcasm) told me they wouldn’t charge me for doing so. I asked for them to pay for my tow charges and they refused. They told me that was on me because it happened at my home. I never went back for service or anything car related.

It's funny you say tvhat. I recently had the exact opposite experience.

I have a 2004 F-150. Bought it new. Only 50K miles. The transmission went. Took it to the local garage I had been using for years. Completely trustworthy. He told me I needed a new transmission, which would be a rebuilt transmission from a core with 125K miles on it for about $3500. I said, if you don't mind, I am going to get a second opinion. I took it to the Ford dealer who made the relatively simple repair for $750.

Now, I realize, it's not an oil change, but I found from this experience that the dealerships know a lot that the small guys don't. They certainly have better diagnostic equipment.

Depends on the "small guy." Mine somehow has access to all of the service manuals and bulletins that the dealers do. And he also knows when he's out of his league and will direct me to another shop, sometimes even a dealer's.

Reactions: palmettolion
Dealer service departments are notorious for overselling. The only time I take our cars in is when they advertise oil change cheaper than I can do myself. You know the drill after that. Usually tell them that I'll take it to my mechanic. Generally ends discussion. Once the service rep told me I needed rear brakes. I thanked him and told him I'd do them myself. He was incredulous. "You can do the yourself?" I just said "yeah" and got an argument (hence the recommendation to tell them you'll take it to your mechanic). Pulled the wheels and the pads were just under half worn and the rotors were still well within spec. Two years later replaced them. Cost was a quarter of what the dealer wanted plus an hour and a half of a Sunday afternoon.

That reminds me of another story. My wife had a new volvo and every time we took it to the dealer it needed new brakes and rotors. I blamed it on my wife's shitty driving. We stopped going there after they broke her FOB and it took them two weeks to fix it (a saga that I won't get into). We started taking it to a different dealer and suddenly the brakes and rotors started lasting 3 times longer. Weird...eh?

Reactions: GregInPitt
Think it all depends on the dealer/mechanic. Down here in south Florida many friends have had nothing but problems and issues when using a local mechanics. Many times having to take the car back a 2nd time to get it fixed right or the old while fixing this I found this and suddenly there repair bill is $1,200. When I moved down here years ago I took note of that and tried using a dealer which I hadn't done in a very long time. I have had zero problems with the dealer. Fixed correct the first time and I find their hourly rate not over the top. Plus they walk you out into the repair shop with the car on the lift to show you everything that needs to be repaired like brakes/rotors etc and get your approval before starting. They also give me a free loaner since I bought the car there. Until I have a reason to switch I am staying with this dealer for now.

Reactions: WDLion and PS4814

Quickest way to get fired here is to lie to a customer and sell them something they don't need. Most people will find out you're lying in about 10 minutes in this day and age. Second quickest is not doing the work claimed, followed by lying about screwing something up. We don't charge techs or fire them for an honest mistake, as long as they own it. Repeatedly making the same mistake is a different story. You get and keep better technicians and (mostly)better customers that way.

Lots of horror stories in this thread, can't say I'm surprised. I've got quite a few from both sides of the fence.

That reminds me of another story. My wife had a new volvo and every time we took it to the dealer it needed new brakes and rotors. I blamed it on my wife's shitty driving. We stopped going there after they broke her FOB and it took them two weeks to fix it (a saga that I won't get into). We started taking it to a different dealer and suddenly the brakes and rotors started lasting 3 times longer. Weird...eh?

At our "favorite" dealer service department, the vehicle always needs a wheel alignment. And, of course, I've got a saga on that as well.

Quickest way to get fired here is to lie to a customer and sell them something they don't need. Most people will find out you're lying in about 10 minutes in this day and age. Second quickest is not doing the work claimed, followed by lying about screwing something up. We don't charge techs or fire them for an honest mistake, as long as they own it. Repeatedly making the same mistake is a different story. You get and keep better technicians and (mostly)better customers that way.

Lots of horror stories in this thread, can't say I'm surprised. I've got quite a few from both sides of the fence.
so do your tech's work on flat rate?

so do your tech's work on flat rate?

Some yes, some no. Newer and less experienced guys are going to be hourly. Same with oil change guys. You'll never get a high level tech that's worth a damn to work hourly, unless you're doubling what they're worth. Too much competition for the better guys and there aren't many out there.

I take my Silverado to a local mechanic for oil changes. I thought about doing it myself. I priced the oil and filter at 5 places. I couldn't buy them for the price he charges me to do it. And he rotates my tires amongst other small maintenance items at no extra cost.

Think it all depends on the dealer/mechanic. Down here in south Florida many friends have had nothing but problems and issues when using a local mechanics. Many times having to take the car back a 2nd time to get it fixed right or the old while fixing this I found this and suddenly there repair bill is $1,200. When I moved down here years ago I took note of that and tried using a dealer which I hadn't done in a very long time. I have had zero problems with the dealer. Fixed correct the first time and I find their hourly rate not over the top. Plus they walk you out into the repair shop with the car on the lift to show you everything that needs to be repaired like brakes/rotors etc and get your approval before starting. They also give me a free loaner since I bought the car there. Until I have a reason to switch I am staying with this dealer for now.

That's similar to my experience. I know the dealer may potentially cost more, but I'm willing to pay for the convenience of it getting fixed quickly, correctly and in a timely fashion. Add in the bonus of a free loaner or shuttle service when the job is going to take more than a couple hours and I'm sold.

When I moved to my current location I tried several local mechanics and would get the "run around" as in the job not done when promised, parts taking longer to get in the shop, etc., causing me to have to scramble at the last minute on how to get to work. And I'm not looking to put out the money for a 3rd car that will only get used on the few days a year my or my wife's vehicle will be in the shop.

Reactions: bwifan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT