ADVERTISEMENT

OT: History Channel Miniseries "Grant"

actually his contemporaries thought of him as a butcher. However he did understand that advantage he had was numbers and that eventually Lee could not continue.....his overland campaign was a bloody mess but it was effective.

pretty much. i think most historians would agree that if Lee had bee in charge of the North and (pick any other general) had been in charge of the south when the war started, probably over in a year. Lee was the best tactician of the era.

what Grant had was the ability to understand that he had a massive advantage in men and materials and was willing to go that route of blunt march forward tactics knowing that if he just went dead man for dead man he would eventually win.

Reactions: razpsu
actually his contemporaries thought of him as a butcher. However he did understand that advantage he had was numbers and that eventually Lee could not continue.....his overland campaign was a bloody mess but it was effective.
actually, no they didn't

"He had somehow, with all his modesty, the rare faculty of controlling his superiors as well as his subordinates. He outfaced Stanton, captivated the President, and even compelled acquiescence or silence from that dread source of paralyzing power, the Congressional Committee on the Conduct of the War." -- Union General Joshua Lawrence Chamberlin, hero of Little Round Top at Gettysburg

When hearing Grant referred to as a "Military Accident," with no distinguishing merit, one who had achieved success through a combination of fortunate circumstances, Lee responded by saying, "Sir, your opinion is a very poor compliment to me. We all thought Richmond protected, as it was, by our splendid fortifications and defended by our army of veterans, and could not be taken. Yet Grant turned his face to our capital and never turned it away until we had surrendered. Now, I have carefully searched the military records of both ancient and modern history, and have never found Grant's superior as a general. I doubt his superior can be found in all history." -- General Robert E. Lee, commander of the Army of Northern Virginia

"Do you know Grant? [Longstreet asked of those who were denigrating and mocking Grant's capabilities]. Well, I do. I was in the Corps of Cadets with him at West Point for three years, I was present at his wedding, I served in the same army with him in Mexico, I have observed his methods of warfare in the West, and I believe I know him through and through; and I tell you that we cannot afford to underrate him and the army he now commands." -- Confederate General James "Old Pete" Longstreet (who was the best man at Grant's wedding to Julia Dent)

"There is one West Pointer, I think in Missouri, little known, and whom I hope the northern people will not find out. I mean Sam Grant. I knew him well at the Academy and in Mexico. I should fear him more than any of their officers I have yet heard of. He is not a man of genius, but he is clear-headed, quick and daring." -- Genereal Richard S. Ewell - One of Lee's generals, in a conversation with Lee in 1861

"Dear General: I have watched your movements from the hour you gave me my horse and sword and told me to go home and assist in making a crop.' I have been proud to see the nation do you honor. And now, dear Genl. in this the hour of your tribulation I weep that so brave, so magananimous a soul must suffer as you do .. and be assured that I am not the only ex-Confederate who sends his prayers daily to the Throne of Grace for the Grandest, the noblest, the bravest soldier and the Purist Statesman who ever graced the annals of history ... I am Dear General, Yours Most Affectly, A. M. Arnold, Rockbridge Bath, Va." -- A.M. Arnold, Confederate Veteran in a letter to Grant during his illness

“He is a butcher and is not fit to be at the head of an army. Yes, he generally manages to claim a victory, but such a victory! He loses two men to the enemy's one. He has no management, no regard for life.”
Mary Todd Lincoln, Conversation with Abraham Lincoln regarding General Ulysses S. Grant

We can play the quote game all day. Or we could look at results. Shiloh for example....when evenly matched grant was thoroughly handled. On the second day he was reinforced by Don Carlos Buell then and only then did he have success. The casualties during the overland campaign provide the evidence as well. Grant was a Club while Lee, Jackson, Mosby etc....were precision sabers. I'm not saying Grant was not successful. He was, but he should have been thats like praising a baseball coach for winning a game against a team that only has 5 players.its a pattern with Grant... failed at everything until he was given a h7ge advantage, then after that almost died in poverty because he continued to fail after the fact.

pretty much. i think most historians would agree that if Lee had bee in charge of the North and (pick any other general) had been in charge of the south when the war started, probably over in a year. Lee was the best tactician of the era.

what Grant had was the ability to understand that he had a massive advantage in men and materials and was willing to go that route of blunt march forward tactics knowing that if he just went dead man for dead man he would eventually win.
Basically any general who had the Northern armies and was willing to attack, attack, attack was going to win. Grant understood that the key to winning the war was destroying Lee's army and ability to fight.

Grant and Lee understood that to win, the army was going to take casualties. McClellan was an excellent general with one big fault, he was afraid of losing. Great at organizing, training and building an army, to afraid to actually use it and take losses. He should have ended the war at Antietam, could have won the war on the Virginia Peninsula too.

Most generals from that time were butchers, people forget what Lee did at Malvern Hill and Gettysburg, lot of unnecessary casualties.

Reality was at that time, to attack meant heavy losses, the defense had huge advantages, offensively, with the exception of overwhelming the opponent with numbers or hitting hard on a flank, their was no way to overcome the defense. Wasn't until the tank in WW1 that the offense could break a defense without sheer numbers.

“He is a butcher and is not fit to be at the head of an army. Yes, he generally manages to claim a victory, but such a victory! He loses two men to the enemy's one. He has no management, no regard for life.”
Mary Todd Lincoln, Conversation with Abraham Lincoln regarding General Ulysses S. Grant

We can play the quote game all day. Or we could look at results. Shiloh for example....when evenly matched grant was thoroughly handled. On the second day he was reinforced by Don Carlos Buell then and only then did he have success. The casualties during the overland campaign provide the evidence as well. Grant was a Club while Lee, Jackson, Mosby etc....were precision sabers. I'm not saying Grant was not successful. He was, but he should have been thats like praising a baseball coach for winning a game against a team that only has 5 players.its a pattern with Grant... failed at everything until he was given a h7ge advantage, then after that almost died in poverty because he continued to fail after the fact.
Mary Todd Lincoln was insane- and you better look at Lee's casualty rates. Lee's reputation as a genius should have been settled at Gettysburg, but the Civil War is the one notable exception to the victors writing the history.

At Shiloh, He was only evenly matched towards the end of the day... not from the onset.... and then day 2 when almost every other general would have retreated, he knew he did have numbers and attacked... at least he didnt invent 30,000 imaginary soldiers to talk himself out of attacks like others did...

Mary Todd Lincoln was insane- and you better look at Lee's casualty rates. Lee's reputation as a genius should have been settled at Gettysburg, but the Civil War is the one notable exception to the victors writing the history.
It wasn't just her, there were plenty more calling him a butcher as well. As far as Lee goes, Gettysburg was his mistake, kind of like Grant at Shiloh and Cold Harbor. But let's get 1 thing very clear here, Lee drove McKellen off the peninsula won at 2nd manassas, Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville, Cold Harbor etc.....all while being outnumbered under equipped. He should have taken more casualties Grant commanded the largest most well equipped army IN THE WORLD. Lee commanded shoeless starving soldiers and it still took grsnt over the year to outlast Lee. Grant only won when he had a massive advantage of men and material. There was a reason why Lee was Lincolns first choice. Along with General Scott, his only rivals were Jackson and Albert Sydney Johnston.

It wasn't just her, there were plenty more calling him a butcher as well. As far as Lee goes, Gettysburg was his mistake, kind of like Grant at Shiloh and Cold Harbor. But let's get 1 thing very clear here, Lee drove McKellen off the peninsula won at 2nd manassas, Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville, Cold Harbor etc.....all while being outnumbered under equipped. He should have taken more casualties Grant commanded the largest most well equipped army IN THE WORLD. Lee commanded shoeless starving soldiers and it still took grsnt over the year to outlast Lee. Grant only won when he had a massive advantage of men and material. There was a reason why Lee was Lincolns first choice. Along with General Scott, his only rivals were Jackson and Albert Sydney Johnston.
Find a quote from someone who knew him- a general or private- who fought with or against him. You keep writing about Shiloh as if it was a rebel victory- Grant won Shiloh.

BTW- Did you look at Lee's casualty rates?

Find a quote from someone who knew him- a general or private- who fought with or against him. You keep writing about Shiloh as if it was a rebel victory- Grant won Shiloh.

BTW- Did you look at Lee's casualty rates?
Any successful general from that time period was a butcher, there was no other way at that time.

Reactions: 91Joe95
You have to take into account that in most Civil War battles the confederates were in defensive positions and the Union Army assaulting well defended positions. Lee wasn't very successful when on the offensive either.

Grant understood what was needed to win. Exactly what he did. He made mistakes, who didn't? He corrected his mistakes, like at Shiloh, and then pounded them. At Shiloh Grant was the only Union General who would not have surrendered the field after the first day. Lee was the butcher of his men, and he knew he couldn't get many more. Was Lee great at the 7 days? No he butchered his army. Was he great at Chancellorsville, no he butchered an army which couldn't afford to lose men, most by attacking. As Longstreet said, more great victories like Chancellorsville and we've lost the war.

I would say grant was dumb lucky at shiloh. The armies were equally matched and he was routed all the way to the river, he was only saved by Buell. I've often wondered if Lee and Grant were equal in men equipment and supply would there be 2 countries now.
It would be if Lee would have succeeded at Gettysburg and gone on the offensive the first couple of days. But the troops were tired, hungry, and it was hot. And he didn’t have Jackson or Stuart. Had he succeeded, he would have taken Harrisburg although he probably couldn’t have held it long. Public opinion up north would have plummeted nevertheless. Lincoln probably would not have been re-elected. Oh history’s “what if’s”?

It would be if Lee would have succeeded at Gettysburg and gone on the offensive the first couple of days. But the troops were tired, hungry, and it was hot. And he didn’t have Jackson or Stuart. Had he succeeded, he would have taken Harrisburg although he probably couldn’t have held it long. Public opinion up north would have plummeted nevertheless. Lincoln probably would not have been re-elected. Oh history’s “what if’s”?
Hard to go on the offensive the first day when most his army was 30 miles from Gettysburg. Ewells corps was there the first day but he sent Earlys division to Wrightville to capture the bridge over the Susquehanna which had already been destroyed and Rhodes division was at Carlisle.
Longstreet's corps didn't arrive until the afternoon of the second day.
Lees goal was Harrisburg, he didn't plan on fighting at Gettysburg, the Union Army forced him to fight there.

Reactions: harbest and BrucePa
Grant has always been criticized for his casualties, but when you look at the record you find he lost a lower percentage of his men killed and wounded than Lee lost.

Shelby Foote said that the North was never going to lose the war. They fought it without a full commitment of resources. Looking back it is surprising that Lincoln and his team took so long to find a Grant and get things over with.

Grant has always been criticized for his casualties, but when you look at the record you find he lost a lower percentage of his men killed and wounded than Lee lost.

Shelby Foote said that the North was never going to lose the war. They fought it without a full commitment of resources. Looking back it is surprising that Lincoln and his team took so long to find a Grant and get things over with.
Grants stock rose when Vicksburg surrendered. July 4th, one day after Gettysburg.

I didn’t watch that video but regardless, its source shows which biased slant your trying to push.

It was 81 years until Vicksburg celebrated July 4th.
I didn’t watch that video but regardless, its source shows which biased slant your trying to push.
Robertson is considered an expert on the subject....plus there is not an unbiased source out there to post. He separates the war itself which boiled down was fought over slavery and what individuals fought for such as Robert e. Lee which was to defend Virginia...there 4eally isn't any debate over those facts.

Reactions: Carl Spackler

I will take the word of Lee and Longstreet over MT Lincoln.

Reactions: 91Joe95 and Hartzie
I will take the word of Lee and Longstreet over MT Lincoln.
The quote was meant to show that quotes for either side can be found. However That does not change the fact that Grant only won when he outnumbered his opponent which is not the case with Lee he won battles while outnumberd many times. Grant did however realize that his strength was numbers and used that to his advantage. And I'm hoping this movie shows that, and doesn't turn into a propaganda show like say gods and generals. Which only did a good job portraying Jackson and to a certain extent Lee.

The quote was meant to show that quotes for either side can be found. However That does not change the fact that Grant only won when he outnumbered his opponent which is not the case with Lee he won battles while outnumberd many times. Grant did however realize that his strength was numbers and used that to his advantage. And I'm hoping this movie shows that, and doesn't turn into a propaganda show like say gods and generals. Which only did a good job portraying Jackson and to a certain extent Lee.
Perhaps so, but Grant was on the attack. And in the Civil War era, this required a larger numerical advantage (remember what happened at Gettysburg when Lee was in the attack) than Grant typically had available. And don’t forget what happened in Western Theater. Grant was far from perfect. But he was a great general and indispensable to the Union cause.

did you check Lee's casualty rate?

I hope your spelling of "McClellan" is not representative of your knowledge of the Civil War.

Reactions: WP76
Any successful general from that time period was a butcher, there was no other way at that time.
No buell won shiloh....like I said grant could not and did not win unless he outnumbered his enemy....1st day evenly matched he got taken to the woodshed. Buell shows up he now has damn near a 2 to 1 advantage and he magically starts to have success.

did you check Lee's casualty rate?
Lee should have a higher casualty rate...thats the whole point grant understood that he could take many many more casualties than lee and win.. Lee had significantly less men and his men could not be replaced. The south in general had a horrendous casualty rate. I

Perhaps so, but Grant was on the attack. And in the Civil War era, this required a larger numerical advantage (remember what happened at Gettysburg when Lee was in the attack) than Grant typically had available. And don’t forget what happened in Western Theater. Grant was far from perfect. But he was a great general and indispensable to the Union cause.
Lee was outnumbered at Gettysburg as well....I could go all day about the mistake of the Gettysburg campaign. In the west he was a fighter....thats what set him apart, at shiloh he got bailed out by buell and Vicksburg he tried to take by frontal assault but failed and settled on starving them out

Lee should have a higher casualty rate...thats the whole point grant understood that he could take many many more casualties than lee and win.. Lee had significantly less men and his men could not be replaced. The south in general had a horrendous casualty rate. I
wait-- I thought Lee was a "precision saber" (your term) now somehow he "should" have a higher casualty rate? And Grant was the butcher?

And Grant "could take more casualties" -yet he didn't, Lee did.

Lee was not exactly a Saber when he did not hold the high ground at Gettysburg. He was kind of butcher like in that battle. There are a lot of factors that go into who wins a battle.

Mary Todd Lincoln was a military expert?

No buell won shiloh....like I said grant could not and did not win unless he outnumbered his enemy....1st day evenly matched he got taken to the woodshed. Buell shows up he now has damn near a 2 to 1 advantage and he magically starts to have success.
What Civil War battle was won by an attacking general who did not have numerical superiority? The only one I can think of is Lee at Chancellorsville. I am not sure what your comment out Buell at Shiloh has to do with my comment that attacking generals were butchers.

Lee was outnumbered at Gettysburg as well....I could go all day about the mistake of the Gettysburg campaign. In the west he was a fighter....thats what set him apart, at shiloh he got bailed out by buell and Vicksburg he tried to take by frontal assault but failed and settled on starving them out[/my pi
Lee was outnumbered at Gettysburg as well....I could go all day about the mistake of the Gettysburg campaign. In the west he was a fighter....thats what set him apart, at shiloh he got bailed out by buell and Vicksburg he tried to take by frontal assault but failed and settled on starving them out
My point was that you needed to have a significant numerical advantage to attack and win.

If it’s as good as the Washington series, this will be a good watch.

I’ve got Grant’s signature in a document appointing one of my ancestors the postmaster in Bloomsburg. Though it was probably actually signed by a secretary or something...

Basically any general who had the Northern armies and was willing to attack, attack, attack was going to win. Grant understood that the key to winning the war was destroying Lee's army and ability to fight.

Grant and Lee understood that to win, the army was going to take casualties. McClellan was an excellent general with one big fault, he was afraid of losing. Great at organizing, training and building an army, to afraid to actually use it and take losses. He should have ended the war at Antietam, could have won the war on the Virginia Peninsula too.

Most generals from that time were butchers, people forget what Lee did at Malvern Hill and Gettysburg, lot of unnecessary casualties.

Reality was at that time, to attack meant heavy losses, the defense had huge advantages, offensively, with the exception of overwhelming the opponent with numbers or hitting hard on a flank, their was no way to overcome the defense. Wasn't until the tank in WW1 that the offense could break a defense without sheer numbers.
Agree, Lee had two major advantages along with his own military mind, other than Gettysburg, he was fighting a defensive war and he had superior generals under him. Jackson may have been the best General in the war.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT