ADVERTISEMENT

OT: In MLB yesterday

Obliviax

Aug 21, 2001
Ohtani is doing things that exceed the term "historic". He plays in a doubleheader. Pitches in the first game and has a complete game one-hitter. Then, in the nightcap, he hits TWO home runs! Unreal.

Then, in Chicago, a Guardian's player hits a 57 mph ground ball RBI Double.

while I get the angst, after over 100 years, you'll see new things every day that have never happened before.

Ohtani is doing things that exceed the term "historic". He plays in a doubleheader. Pitches in the first game and has a complete game one-hitter. Then, in the nightcap, he hits TWO home runs! Unreal.

while I get the angst, after over 100 years, you'll see new things every day that have never happened before.

It’s a bummer that baseball has fallen so far that most people don’t fully understand the historic nature of Ohtani’s feats. Statistically the best season anyone’s ever had… especially since integration.

It’s a bummer that baseball has fallen so far that most people don’t fully understand the historic nature of Ohtani’s feats. Statistically the best season anyone’s ever had… especially since integration.
People likely understand they just don't care because they don't like what the game is now

Yes, Ohtani is pretty amazing. He's having a season for the ages.

His stats are almost identical to Babe Ruth's stats at this stage of his career. Ruth stopped pitching around this many years in the majors....... To get fair value for Ohtani, the Angels would need to get the equivalent of a trade for a Cy Young Pitcher + trade for an MVP fielder...... not sure it is possible for them to get fair value without them getting 6 or 7 young strong prospects......he is the most amazing player I have seen in 25 years.

His stats are almost identical to Babe Ruth's stats at this stage of his career. Ruth stopped pitching around this many years in the majors....... To get fair value for Ohtani, the Angels would need to get the equivalent of a trade for a Cy Young Pitcher + trade for an MVP fielder...... not sure it is possible for them to get fair value without them getting 6 or 7 young strong prospects......he is the most amazing player I have seen in 25 years.
Agreed. They aren't going to get that with him being a FA at the end of the year.

One does wonder if he'd be better off to stop pitching since the injury potential is much higher. He could probably play first base and hit 50 homers a year for ten more years (he's 29)

I am only a casual baseball fan and have been since the strike years ago. I tend to read articles or watch sports updates on-line and only watch during the playoffs. Ohtni's exploits in baseball are incredible. How much longer would he have to play at or near this level to be considered one of the greatest baseball players?

He smacked the shit out of that one.

willie_mays_hayes1.jpg

I am only a casual baseball fan and have been since the strike years ago. I tend to read articles or watch sports updates on-line and only watch during the playoffs. Ohtni's exploits in baseball are incredible. How much longer would he have to play at or near this level to be considered one of the greatest baseball players?
For all time....he needs another 7-10 years...... even if he falls off slightly, which is about the only direction that he can go.....what he is doing now is incredible. He is the best starting pitcher in the Majors and he is one of the best 3-4 hitters in the Majors....... He is like an athletic freak athletic 16 year old playing with 12 year olds........he's just better than everyone.

Here's an interesting call. Runner on first advances on a line drive. However, the drive is caught so he races back to first and beats the throw. The throw is off and gets away so the runner advances to second.

Umps call him "out". Why? They said he over ran first base and didn't reestablish himself. So he should have either NOT overrun the base. Of, after doing so, needed to tag first base as he headed to second.

I can't say the ruling is wrong but I am comfortable saying that he didn't really overrun first base and that this isn't what the rule was designed for.

Reactions: bison13
Here's an interesting call. Runner on first advances on a line drive. However, the drive is caught so he races back to first and beats the throw. The throw is off and gets away so the runner advances to second.

Umps call him "out". Why? They said he over ran first base and didn't reestablish himself. So he should have either NOT overrun the base. Of, after doing so, needed to tag first base as he headed to second.

I can't say the ruling is wrong but I am comfortable saying that he didn't really overrun first base and that this isn't what the rule was designed for.

disagree with the call, once he touched the base he 'reestablished' himself. the movement was to get out of the way of the ball and the 1B

I've done that before. Shorter fence but same play.
When I was 12 and playing in our last LL championship, I hit a solo bomb to put us ahead 1-0 in the top of the first and then in the 5th I was playing CF and did the same thing KL did, put my cleat in the three foot chain link fence and jumped up to rob a HR.

We got an insurance run in the top of the 6th and won 2-0. I had thrown a perfect game with 16 strikeouts in the prior game amd even though we won the tournament, we did not continue on to the state level for the Little League World Series. All but one of us on the roster also played little league football and practice was due to start the following week.

When I was 12 and playing in our last LL championship, I hit a solo bomb to put us ahead 1-0 in the top of the first and then in the 5th I was playing CF and did the same thing KL did, put my cleat in the three foot chain link fence and jumped up to rob a HR.

We got an insurance run in the top of the 6th and won 2-0. I had thrown a perfect game with 16 strikeouts in the prior game amd even though we won the tournament, we did not continue on to the state level for the Little League World Series. All but one of us on the roster also played little league football and practice was due to start the following week.
I played CF as well. I was our leadoff hitter and CF. Although in 12&U I was still a middle infielder. My teener ball coach recognized the importance of someone who could cover a lot of ground out there and I made the switch which stuck the rest of my playing days. RB and LB in HS football for the same reason, speed.

Reactions: bison13

Looked like a good call. You go past any base you have to retouch it again.

Ohtani left the game he was pitching in yesterday and it ends up he has a UCL injury. Done with pitching for the season, and going to get a 2nd opinion to assist with determining future treatment.

Horrible timing for him with the upcoming FA.

Ohtani left the game he was pitching in yesterday and it ends up he has a UCL injury. Done with pitching for the season, and going to get a 2nd opinion to assist with determining future treatment.

Horrible timing for him with the upcoming FA.
Wherever he goes, they’ll be crazy to let him pitch again.

disagree with the call, once he touched the base he 'reestablished' himself. the movement was to get out of the way of the ball and the 1B
he overran his return to first base; therefore he had to touch the bag before proceeding to second. umpire 1,000% correct in their call.

he overran his return to first base; therefore he had to touch the bag before proceeding to second. umpire 1,000% correct in their call.
again, disagree with the interpretation, his movement was not over running the base, it was eluding contact. I am a certified umpire, football and basketball referee. Lots of rules are interpretations so it could have had both outcomes.

Baseball game last week, ground ball to SS up the middle with runner on 1B. SS attempts to touch 2B, misses but gets out at 1B. Coach claims he missed the bag, which he did, but in umpires view the runner going to 2B had given himself up by veering in to the OF so DP stood.

Reactions: Online Persona
again, disagree with the interpretation, his movement was not over running the base, it was eluding contact. I am a certified umpire, football and basketball referee. Lots of rules are interpretations so it could have had both outcomes.

Baseball game last week, ground ball to SS up the middle with runner on 1B. SS attempts to touch 2B, misses but gets out at 1B. Coach claims he missed the bag, which he did, but in umpires view the runner going to 2B had given himself up by veering in to the OF so DP stood.
Sorry, check your rule book. If you overrun a base, you must re-establish contact before proceeding; except, when running from home to first and then you must overrun 1st base on the foul territory side. No, interpretation needed. You see I've been a CERTIFIED umpire for a few years starting in the early 60s.

Correct call runner from 1st is out by rule; has to keep within the base path; usually, that means 3-4 feet on each side of the bag. Now that is an interpretation on whether runner is within the basepath! Has nothing to do with aforementioned situation.

Sorry, check your rule book. If you overrun a base, you must re-establish contact before proceeding; except, when running from home to first and then you must overrun 1st base on the foul territory side. No, interpretation needed. You see I've been a CERTIFIED umpire for a few years starting in the early 60s.

Correct call runner from 1st is out by rule; has to keep within the base path; usually, that means 3-4 feet on each side of the bag. Now that is an interpretation on whether runner is within the basepath! Has nothing to do with aforementioned situation.
Sorry, but I’m going to disagree as again. I don’t think it was an over running of the base, but an avoidance of contact. I guess we’re just gonna have to disagree on this because safety is our first priority and to me avoiding contact is safety.

I don't see how that runner could be called out...unless an attempted tag is being made on him, he can run wherever he wants (unless you're using a really unique set of rules)...what level was the game?

The MLB with the video was a tougher call, but I agree with the interpretation. I'd have him as needing to retouch 1st base, though would likely only call that in a higher level game where I had a really good look at it (that would be tough from the inside in a two-man crew).

I don't see how that runner could be called out...unless an attempted tag is being made on him, he can run wherever he wants (unless you're using a really unique set of rules)...what level was the game?

The MLB with the video was a tougher call, but I agree with the interpretation. I'd have him as needing to retouch 1st base, though would likely only call that in a higher level game where I had a really good look at it (that would be tough from the inside in a two-man crew).
In the game, I was referring to the runner veered off towards right field and never made an attempt to come back to second base. Basically he was getting out of the way of the throw because a huge point of emphasis for that league was the direct slide into second base, or what he did, the runner and giving themselves up.

In the game, I was referring to the runner veered off towards right field and never made an attempt to come back to second base. Basically he was getting out of the way of the throw because a huge point of emphasis for that league was the direct slide into second base, or what he did, the runner and giving themselves up.
Interesting play...Did an umpire call the runner out at second base initially? And, did any play ever actually get made on the runner to call him out? Different rules sets would have different rules on this play (ie, little league, the player isn't out until he's back in the dugout), but I'd have play still live as it was described in most instances (and that the running is just taking a unique path to 2nd base).

Wherever he goes, they’ll be crazy to let him pitch again.
Mindset is understandable. Crazy might be if they pay Ohtani as a healthy P/DH. He will be turning 30 next year with a couple serious injuries. Shame is I think he has pitched better than he has batted so far in his career.

I probably disagree with at least a few (if not most/all) in this thread on Ohtani’s performance(s) so far though. Think there was some hyperbole used in taking his uniqueness to making descriptions of “greatest”, best, etc.

Sorry, but I’m going to disagree as again. I don’t think it was an over running of the base, but an avoidance of contact. I guess we’re just gonna have to disagree on this because safety is our first priority and to me avoiding contact is safety.
You'd make an Earl Weaver in blink of an eye.

Interesting play...Did an umpire call the runner out at second base initially? And, did any play ever actually get made on the runner to call him out? Different rules sets would have different rules on this play (ie, little league, the player isn't out until he's back in the dugout), but I'd have play still live as it was described in most instances (and that the running is just taking a unique path to 2nd base).
I see some leagues making some of their own rule changes and almost all of them are related to running/sliding/contact plays. The main purpose is for safety and time. The summer men’s and high school leagues around here are also having fewer umpires willing to do the games so there’s some rationale that creating some of their own slight modifications will allow a single man crew to be able to be consistent while making calls out of position.

The umpire did not initially call the runner out at second base, but after the out at first base was recorded, the runner at second going to 2B was called out as he walked back towards the first base dugout after not ever getting to within 30 feet of 2B. He basically took off his helmet and started walking back to the dugout.

The coach asked about missing 2B and the umpire said that because the runner made no true attempt to get to the base, he had given himself up and they would not entertain a possible miss of 2B if the runner made no attempt to get there. It's his interpretation but nobody, even the coach, had a problem with it

I see some leagues making some of their own rule changes and almost all of them are related to running/sliding/contact plays. The main purpose is for safety and time. The summer men’s and high school leagues around here are also having fewer umpires willing to do the games so there’s some rationale that creating some of their own slight modifications will allow a single man crew to be able to be consistent while making calls out of position.

The umpire did not initially call the runner out at second base, but after the out at first base was recorded, the runner at second going to 2B was called out as he walked back towards the first base dugout after not ever getting to within 30 feet of 2B. He basically took off his helmet and started walking back to the dugout.

The coach asked about missing 2B and the umpire said that because the runner made no true attempt to get to the base, he had given himself up and they would not entertain a possible miss of 2B if the runner made no attempt to get there. It's his interpretation but nobody, even the coach, had a problem with it
Yea, some of the rules sets would call him out if he started heading back to the dugout.

We pay really well here and still struggle finding guys...and every year, more guys retire/die than new guys coming in. I've scaled back to just doing Little League these days (and some travel here and there if I know the coach/team and know what I'm getting into)...my first two man game was in July when we got into districts. Even on the big field, we're just putting one guy on regular season games, since that's hard enough to fill.

With yesterday being the Angels game 138, it seems an appropriate time to compare Ohtani’s best season (this year) with Ruth’s 1919 season (not even what is considered his best year) when his team’s season was limited to 138 games because of WWI when Ruth did his most pitching while being a top batter.

As pitchers (IP-W-L-ERA):
Ohtani 132.0 10-6 3.14
B.Ruth 133.3 9-6 2.97
Almost a complete wash, Ohtani with slightly more wins, Ruth with slightly better ERA.

As batters: (R-HR-RBI-BB-BA-Runs Produced)
Ohtani 102 44 95 91 .304 153
B.Ruth 103 29 113 101 .322 187
Ruth was the top hitter in MLB and his runs produced numbers exceed Ohtani’s by a significant margin. If Ohtani finishes the season at his rate, his final run producing number would still be below Ruth’s.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT