ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Interesting WVB Score from Last Night

Unranked North Carolina over #3 Stanford, 3 Sets to 0. Wonder what the Bucknell HC thinks.

ZSD69nr.gif

Reactions: LionJim
Unranked North Carolina over #3 Stanford, 3 Sets to 0. Wonder what the Bucknell HC thinks.

That's an upset for sure, but NC was getting votes and would have been #27 if the rankings went that deep.

This reminds me of 2011 when PSU lost its opener against Oregon and came back to beat, No. 1 I believe, USC. USC then lost the next weekend to UCF.

Interesting. UNC has some talent, as they were ranked #7 preseason. However, after loses to #6 USC, #9 BYU, #11 Wisconsin, and Minnesota, they were out of the top 25, and had a 1-4 record before the match with The Cardinal.

Stanford was up 21-14 in the 2nd set, and 24-21, and ended up losing 25-27.

Another weird take from the match: Stanford swept Minnesota, Minnesota swept UNC, UNC swept Stanford. Go figure.

It will be interesting to see how Stanford responds to this loss when they take on Duke 2nite.

Reactions: fairgambit
Interesting. UNC has some talent, as they were ranked #7 preseason. However, after loses to #6 USC, #9 BYU, #11 Wisconsin, and Minnesota, they were out of the top 25, and had a 1-4 record before the match with The Cardinal.

Stanford was up 21-14 in the 2nd set, and 24-21, and ended up losing 25-27.

Another weird take from the match: Stanford swept Minnesota, Minnesota swept UNC, UNC swept Stanford. Go figure.

It will be interesting to see how Stanford responds to this loss when they take on Duke 2nite.
That's interesting AND weird. Up 21 -14 and lose. Lose when you had 2 set points. Something is amiss with the Cardinals.

Reactions: fairgambit
Just a reminder of what the Bucknell coach said:
Her response (in 3 minutes) to an email was:

"I watched the match- I thought Stanford although not as big- played more ball controlled, less sloppy vball- PSU certainly has the size, but just pure volleyball, I thought Stanford was a bit better this week.
Just my 2 cents..."

So I asked a contact and was told that the Bucknell coach won't say were she has Penn State ranked, but did reveal the team that is just ahead of Penn State in her view. Remember, she likes "just pure volleyball".
Here's a quick video of that team during a match:

Last edited:
Pure volleyball gets swept again. woooo looks good over results, sounds like a typical entitled kid today. They'd rather look good then be good

Reactions: psu00
Stanford has injuries and other troubles. They already lost their best player (Inky Ajanaku) to an ACL earlier this year. Now Jordan Burgess has some kind of injury and is not able to play much -- not hitting at all. She was apparently hobbled against PSU as well. Without Burgess hitting, Stanford just does not have enough hitters -- Brittany Howard and super freshman Hodson. Stanford's huge middle Lutz has not been super effective.

Another factor is Stanford has a freshman libero who is having a lot of trouble returning serve. That is not unusual as a freshman has to get used to the speed of the college game. PSU's freshman libero is doing unusually well in that respect but it could be a weakness down the line.

Anyway, I think probably Stanford will be fine and will be a factor later in the year -- though without Ajanaku they may not have enough firepower to compete for a championship.

Nice win for UNC but it doesn't quite mean what people think it means. UNC had just been swept by Wisconsin, who lost to Western Kentucky and have lots of young players getting acclimated. Lots of stuff happens in the early season. See where they are in December -- I suspect Stanford will be in its usual place in the top 10 and UNC will be out of the NCAA tournament around the sweet 16.

PSU looking good so far but they have some really tough matches coming up with Nebraska, Illinois and Wisky.

Stanford has injuries and other troubles. They already lost their best player (Inky Ajanaku) to an ACL earlier this year. Now Jordan Burgess has some kind of injury and is not able to play much -- not hitting at all. She was apparently hobbled against PSU as well. Without Burgess hitting, Stanford just does not have enough hitters -- Brittany Howard and super freshman Hodson. Stanford's huge middle Lutz has not been super effective.

Another factor is Stanford has a freshman libero who is having a lot of trouble returning serve. That is not unusual as a freshman has to get used to the speed of the college game. PSU's freshman libero is doing unusually well in that respect but it could be a weakness down the line.

Anyway, I think probably Stanford will be fine and will be a factor later in the year -- though without Ajanaku they may not have enough firepower to compete for a championship.

Nice win for UNC but it doesn't quite mean what people think it means. UNC had just been swept by Wisconsin, who lost to Western Kentucky and have lots of young players getting acclimated. Lots of stuff happens in the early season. See where they are in December -- I suspect Stanford will be in its usual place in the top 10 and UNC will be out of the NCAA tournament around the sweet 16.

PSU looking good so far but they have some really tough matches coming up with Nebraska, Illinois and Wisky.

Good summary tboyer.

PSU often has issues they must overcome early in the season. Playing a tough schedule early can hurt the win-loss column. But it can be used by good coaches to identify areas they can develop.

The tournament is when most teams want to peak. If they have the talent on hand, teams can improve a lot between now and tourney time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT