ADVERTISEMENT

OT: My weekend trip to VT...

psufanatic03

Gold Member
Jan 27, 2006
For those of you out there that enjoy first- hand encounters of other stadiums, fan bases, bar scenes, and overall university environments...I spent the weekend in Blacksburg with my girlfriend and a group of 10 other VT alums for the VT/ECU game.

All-in-all I had a really good time. I believe the fact that it was with such a large group of fun people helped my first ever VT football weekend experience a lot. First off, we rented a very nice home for the weekend. The VT hotel situation on football weekends is kinda like PSU hotel situation on football weekends (2 night minimums, jacked up rates, can't find an available room within 30 minutes of the college, etc...), therefore we went the VRBO home rental route. The house was very nice and a short car ride away from the stadium itself. Does PSU offer any house rentals that are within walking distance on football weekends? Anyway, that available housing rental aspect at VT was a nice option for football weekends.

Tailgating Scene - Good tailgating scene. Not nearly the vast tailgating scene that PSU has, but there are only a few tailgating scenes that can compare to PSU's. We tailgated at VT's "German Club's" lawn spot. I don't know if PSU has something equivalent to a "German Club" that VT has, but essentially the German Club is a service fraternity that is on-campus. The house itself reminds me kinda of The Nittany Lion Inn but it's located about 500 yards from Lane Stadium. Pretty nice spot. Only current German Club members or German Club alums can tailgate there. Fortunately, an alum was in our group. Anyway, it was a nice, spacious tailgating spot. Many drinks were consumed.

Lane Stadium Scene - So this game was against ECU at noon. It wasn't against an arch rival at night. With that being said, pretty enthusiastic crowd. "Enter Sandman" was neat. I was somewhat underwhelmed with it after hearing reports that it was the "greatest intro in CFB." It was neat, but didn't blow me away as being the end all, be all. Granted, it was a noon game against ECU so maybe it wasn't at its best. Also, even though I didn't see it in this instance as what it was built up to be, their intro is far superior to PSU's intro. PSU's intro is about as bland as it gets, so VT's far surpasses PSU's. It was nice to hear a team enter into a song that hasn't been altered into some flubbed up version of itself (PSU's "Hey Song" intro).

The VT football team enters the stadium through a football facility that doesn't connect to Lane Stadium. They walk outside, across their practice field into Lane Stadium. It was kinda weird to see a full football team walk across a practice field to the stadium they play while Meallica is blaring and people are jumping. Also, their video board kinda does the same thing PSU does where it plays cool moments or big hits as this is happening. IMO the audio from the video somewhat drowns out the Metallica, but that's what they do.

The stadium itself was a nice size but Beaver Stadium is much bigger. Also, I don't think Lane has the ability to get as loud as Beaver Stadium because one whole end zone side is open, so noise escapes. Reminds me of Heinz Field open end zone area. It was an "Orange Effect" game so everyone was in Orange. Similar to PSU's White Out but nowhere remotely close in coolness. Everyone wears an official "Orange Effect" t-shirt that is sold for around $10. The shirt changes each year. Similar to our official "white out shirt" but at VT, EVERYONE wears the official "Orange Effect" shirt and doesn't just dress in white like we do at PSU. So that was cool. VT also has a "Maroon Effect" game each year where the same thing occurs (official "Maroon Effect" long sleeve t-shirts, etc...).
Also in regards to Lane Stadium, I got one of those "Turkey Legs" that you see on TV at VT games. Eating one of these things I felt like I went back into the "Cave Man" time period. It was something out of the Flintstones where they put a rack of dinosaur ribs on the side of the car and the car tips over. That's what these turkey legs are like. They are like a 5-pound chicken leg. It's pretty crazy. The meat is tough. Reminded me more of ham than chicken.

For all you old-timers out there that hate piped in music vs. band music...Lane Stadium is about 95% piped in music. I'm a bigger fan of piped in music than band music, so I was fine with it, but I got a chuckle sitting there hearing all the piped in music and thinking of what some on this board would post the following day about it. With that being said, PSU has much better audio/visual amenities than Lane. Their score board is about the size of our old score boards and PSU's sound system is much clearer.

As far as the game itself, VT beat ECU by about 40 points wasn't much of a game. I think VT scored about 21 points just on special team scores alone. I wouldn't know the feeling if PSU did that against St. Mary's School for the Deaf and Blind, let alone doing that against ECU, but it appears "Beamer Ball" is still in effect at VT.

VT Bar Scene - We went out Saturday night to 2 VT bars. The first being, "Top of The Stairs." This place is known for their "Rails." For us Penn Stater's, think of a "Rail" kinda how you would think of a "Monkey Boy" at the Saloon (assuming the Saloon still exists, but did when I was in school at PSU). Or think of a "Rail" kinda like Cafe 210's version of the Long Island iced tea's. A "Rail" is basically a combination of a bunch of different liquor in a glass. It's potent! After 1 you're feeling it. The bar itself reminded me of a 2-storied version of Cafe 210. I saw 4 people face plant while I was there...literally face plant. Good place. I'd suggest if you're ever at VT for a game to at least experience a "Rail." I did it once and am perfectly happy having a nice glass of wine at a nice restaurant next go-round, but I can say I've been there and done it. The next bar we visited was "Champs." I'm not even going to comment on this place because it was essentially a frat party disguised as a bar. If you're 23 and want to re-live your frat house days, this is the spot for you.

All-in-all VT has a fun little bar scene going for it. Again, PSU is VT's bar scene on steroids but compared to other state universities, it has a nice social scene. Personally, being a Virginian, I think UVA's bar scene is better and a little higher quality, but compared to WVU, I'd take VT's bar scene any day of the week. As far as football stadium vibe goes, VT far surpasses UVA. UVA should just hang it up when it comes to football. VT will embarrass them this year. In all candor, VT really isn't that good this year in football, but I could say with 80% certainty having watched both teams this year, VT would beat PSU by more than 2 touchdowns. By the way, I heard Tim Settle's name like a dozen times during the VT game making plays. If I'm not mistaken, that's another DT we missed out on.

So...all-in-all fun weekend at VT. Fun school. I know I'm far too biased in my opinions but PSU IMO is by far a cooler Gameday/stadium/downtown experience, but in comparison to WVU/Pitt/UVA/UMD...VT is a much better football Gameday experience. Only UVA has a cooler downtown restaurant/bar scene. Also, you guys will be happy to hear, IMO PSU fans are by far some of the most knowledgeable and well-versed fans out there. No one compares to us. VT is no different.

Finally, only 1 Sandusky comment the whole weekend from a VT fan. I countered with a Michael Vick comment that put him in his place, but nonetheless the Sandusky comment made to me raised my blood pressure. I don't understand people sometimes. I don't go to UMD people and talk about Len Bias, or actively seek outs conversation around Michael Vick to a VT alum. People's social skills just baffle me and there are so many schools that throw bricks from glass houses. It's just unbelievable, but my feeling in talking to VT people, there's no love for PSU. Living in VA, dating a VT alum, and now having been down there for a full football weekend my opinion of VT or their alums really hasn't changed. I think, like many places, including PSU, you have some people that are just a**holes. The main difference that I see in PSU and VT just from the passionate football fans each school has...PSU fans seem to be a lot more knowledgeable about football as a whole than VT fans. I'm not sure if that's because we are in a more dominant football oriented conference, or that we have more history, or because PA is a much more passionate football state than VA, but I see PSU fans as some of the most knowledgeable, well-versed, and educated football fans there are. VT fans, for the vast majority are good people, but they aren't the most football educated fans I've encountered. VT fans know VT football, but they are somewhat oblivious to the rest of the college football world. In the VT fans I've met, few have been to other stadiums or other Gameday environments, therefore adding to somewhat of a closed-minded approach to a fanbases's football acumen (I.e. No stadium is bigger or louder, no tailgating scene is bigger or better, VT's team is better than any SEC team, the ACC is the greatest football conference). Some of the stuff VT fans proclaim outloud, I have to hold back from audibly laughing out loud...but again, I think they're good fun people.

Hopefully you enjoyed my synopsis.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News