ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Open AI’s new model is insane

Welding is a good option as well. My thoughts pre-AI, if you aren't going for high ROI degree(s) then you are much better off in the trades without starting your adult life with $100k - $300k in loans. Now you also have to consider replaceability with AI.
Totally agree except for the loan part. You can attend many community colleges for $6k per year before transferring to a relatively low cost ($10k - $15k per year) state university to finish. IMO walking away from a bachelor's degree with $300k in loans is insane.

Totally agree except for the loan part. You can attend many community colleges for $6k per year before transferring to a relatively low cost ($10k - $15k per year) state university to finish. IMO walking away from a bachelor's degree with $300k in loans is insane.
Yes, a much better approach. The problem is that most kids want the college experience from day 1.

Reactions: bison13
I cannot speak to your 2nd and 3rd paragraphs beyond your question of who is in control. Humans often have a false sense of control particularly with natural systems. That doesn't bode well for this application. Further, another question is who will, when, and how are these technologies weaponized?
The weaponization is the part of all of this that scares me. Not that the machines will rule us, but that the bad people will harm the rest of us.

It sounds like Harari is saying AI may be able to provide scientific answers to questions previously unknown.(such as the creation of the universe)

I can see how that would be threatening to certain religious factions but that’s a far cry from the “AI becoming its own religion”.
All AI is limited by whatever data is available.

Reactions: m.knox and johnmpsu
Data tends to be a problem. There are many databases that are corrupted due to bias, and there are others that are just plain bad data. He who controls the data controls AI. Who maintains the data? Do you allow AI to correct the data?

You also have someone providing programming. How do you remove the bias?

Data tends to be a problem. There are many databases that are corrupted due to bias, and there are others that are just plain bad data. He who controls the data controls AI. Who maintains the data? Do you allow AI to correct the data?

You also have someone providing programming. How do you remove the bias?
You can feed it the data you want it to analyze so if you so choose, you control the data.

Reactions: MacNit2.0
The weaponization is the part of all of this that scares me. Not that the machines will rule us, but that the bad people will harm the rest of us.

The Russian invasion of Ukraine has shown how much damage a drone packed with explosives can do. How long until they're used in the next mass casualty event here at home?

Maybe it can help Franklin with calling time outs and when to go for it on 4th down.
That's well beyond the capabilities of the current models. But maybe before he retires or moves on the technology will be that evolved.

You better be careful on sunny days. You might see your shadow.
I’m not the least but afraid of AI. I’m not sure how you got that impression? You can bury your head in the sand but it’s still gonna come.

I’m not the least but afraid of AI. I’m not sure how you got that impression? You can bury your head in the sand but it’s still gonna come.
Never said it wasn't coming. I worked in the field for quite awhile. I was to early to enjoy the massive salaries I'm seeing now. Almost tempts me to come out of retirement. I dont think so. Just all the fear about it is stupid.

Never said it wasn't coming. I worked in the field for quite awhile. I was to early to enjoy the massive salaries I'm seeing now. Almost tempts me to come out of retirement. I dont think so. Just all the fear about it is stupid.
What fear r u talking about? The fear that AI overlords will rule over us or the fear that AI will replace people in many jobs.

Do you believe AI would have prevented you from being scammed by an honor's program while at Penn State?

What fear r u talking about? The fear that AI overlords will rule over us or the fear that AI will replace people in many jobs.
The nonsensical fears. If you don't know what those are you're in the wrong conversation. AI will replace people in jobs. For example, $20/hr fast food workers will be gone. Its already happening. Lots of others too. Jobs have always been lost with new technologies. New ones have been created. I hope you found something after your buggy whip job.

Reactions: PSU4U
All of the above. There are a couple of very smart people in that field who are sounding the alarm that humans will be extinct in 50 years. Not that people looking and acting human won't be here that the genome will be so corrupted that you could no longer be considered totally human.

They claim that the technology already exists for producing hybrids (for the lack of a better term) and they only need to come up with reasons for the people to willingly accept it. Reasons like longer life span fewer diseases cures for certain diseases etc. AI in its entirety is a scary subject.

This is a subject that could really go off the rails and may not be the place for it.

The nonsensical fears. If you don't know what those are you're in the wrong conversation. AI will replace people in jobs. For example, $20/hr fast food workers will be gone. Its already happening. Lots of others too. Jobs have always been lost with new technologies. New ones have been created. I hope you found something after your buggy whip job.

It doesn't make sense that people are afraid of losing their jobs to AI? What world are you living in that you think it's nonsensical that AI will have some negative and oftentimes dire consequences for a lot of people? The fear of losing one's livelihood is pretty darn sensical to me, and hopefully will lead to common sense regulation of this technology, just as every new technology ever has been regulated.

I tend to agree…but why are many AI pioneers fearful of future of AI?

It doesn't make sense that people are afraid of losing their jobs to AI? What world are you living in that you think it's nonsensical that AI will have some negative and oftentimes dire consequences for a lot of people? The fear of losing one's livelihood is pretty darn sensical to me, and hopefully will lead to common sense regulation of this technology, just as every new technology ever has been regulated.
Yeah that's what I would do rely on politicians and municipalities. Where has that ever gotten us. Seriously there has to be a better answer because it is coming. I'm just not smart enough to know what the answer is and how to allow the stuff that will truly benefit the next generation without wrecking society.

It's almost like they're pushing high minimum wages as a way to drive adoption of AI.

It's almost like they're pushing high minimum wages as a way to drive adoption of AI.
High minimum wages is merely a tool to their progressive march and completion of an agenda. It's all political. This subject is so deep with so many players and angles. It actually goes back thousands of years. AI isn't coming it's here but being downloaded to the people incrementally and in such a way to make it palatable. The ultimate end is openly messing with the genome which has almost always had horrific consequences. At what point will humans no longer be human or be able to freely think for themselves.

In related AI news, Nvidia reported blowout earnings again yesterday and the stock is trading above $1000 a share premarket. They also announced a 10-1 stock split.

• Wow
Reactions: cntblvitsbutter
Yeah that's what I would do rely on politicians and municipalities. Where has that ever gotten us. Seriously there has to be a better answer because it is coming. I'm just not smart enough to know what the answer is and how to allow the stuff that will truly benefit the next generation without wrecking society.
Well, it got us almost 300mm cars in the U.S. alone without people constantly crashing into each other!!! 😂 It got us consistent drinkable water from the tap. Most of our sewage taken care of, garbage picked up every week...

Reactions: NJPSU
High minimum wages is merely a tool to their progressive march and completion of an agenda. It's all political. This subject is so deep with so many players and angles. It actually goes back thousands of years. AI isn't coming it's here but being downloaded to the people incrementally and in such a way to make it palatable. The ultimate end is openly messing with the genome which has almost always had horrific consequences. At what point will humans no longer be human or be able to freely think for themselves.
It's already happened! They were just smart/devious enough to make you think it hasn't. You thoughts are just the product of someone else's will. And what you are, currently, isn't what "true" humans were. And they made sure you wouldn't believe folks like me if we told you the truth. Bwahahahahahaha!

Well, it got us almost 300mm cars in the U.S. alone without people constantly crashing into each other!!! 😂 It got us consistent drinkable water from the tap. Most of our sewage taken care of, garbage picked up every week...

All of which is racist. Or so I've heard.

Oh please. Of course people are concerned about losing jobs. Those don't qualify as nonsensical fears and I suspect you know that. Worry that the robot overlords will kill off the human race is stupid. Now if you tell me we should be concerned about weapon systems firing and targeting purely with software, sure that's a concern but it's not the same as "robot overlords". That's what is nonsensical. Hope you get that.

As I've stated, for me, the biggest fear we should have of AI is that people will believe what it produces. Garbage In Garbage Out has been and always will be true.

Reactions: 91Joe95
Oh please. Of course people are concerned about losing jobs. Those don't qualify as nonsensical fears and I suspect you know that. Worry that the robot overlords will kill off the human race is stupid. Now if you tell me we should be concerned about weapon systems firing and targeting purely with software, sure that's a concern but it's not the same as "robot overlords". That's what is nonsensical. Hope you get that.

As I've stated, for me, the biggest fear we should have of AI is that people will believe what it produces. Garbage In Garbage Out has been and always will be true.
A year ago 60 minutes did a segment on AI where they showed an AI piloted plane was already able to defeat our best military pilots.

They used another example where AI was able to create previously undiscovered deadly chemical compounds that could be used by terrorists or other bad actors.

Propaganda produced by AI is relative nuisance compared to other nefarious ways it could be used.

That said I think the odds we see some type of doomsday scenario from AI in our lifetime is pretty low. I’m not worried about it and I’m looking forward to the incredible advancements we are going to see in the next 10 years.

Reactions: johnmpsu
Getting down to brass tacks here... my biggest worry about AI at least in the near future (<30 years) is that a lot of decisions about our lives will be made by AI, unaccountable to anyone. One example that I've read about recently is that health insurance companies are just starting to source out decisions about whether to cover procedures, drugs, therapies, etc. to an AI model. I'm extremely uncomfortable with the thought of calling a number only to speak to an AI agent about why my bp meds were refused by an AI model. OTOH, if you want to have AI call balls and strikes in baseball, I'm all for it.

I'm far from being an expert on anything to do with computers. So, here's my understanding of AI.

AI is a machine. It doesn't think, it doesn't have feelings, it isn't sentient. All of those are attributes that some people give it.

What AI is is a really good search engine. It looks at indexes, mainly word indexes. I've heard it said that at any given time, Google has access to about 3% of the entire internet. Seems that the amount of data is limited. AI looks at those word associations that are input from the question asked. It finds other words associated with it on those indexes. Its all pattern recognition. When they find a consensus of identical associations, they use that for its output. That consensus is about 70%, which leaves a 30% room for error. To get any higher consensus would consume a lot more power.

Being a machine, it runs on an algorithm. Someone has to program it. If it can write code, its been programmed to do that. The Google search engine is programmed to show certain output. AI can also be programmed to do the same. Human bias can creep in pretty quickly.

The other thing to be aware of is the way data is indexed. That is done by humans, and, from my understanding, some of it is pretty bad.

I'm okay with AI doing some of the menial work. But, I'm not okay with AI doing important work. I don't want it setting climate or environmental policy, for example. Those things have way too many variables to be considered. It may be a good tool for finding some of the variables, but its only as good as the data going in, and the underlying programming. Things may get better as time goes along, but we're not there yet.

Reactions: 91Joe95 and PSU4U
I'm far from being an expert on anything to do with computers. So, here's my understanding of AI.

AI is a machine. It doesn't think, it doesn't have feelings, it isn't sentient. All of those are attributes that some people give it.

What AI is is a really good search engine. It looks at indexes, mainly word indexes. I've heard it said that at any given time, Google has access to about 3% of the entire internet. Seems that the amount of data is limited. AI looks at those word associations that are input from the question asked. It finds other words associated with it on those indexes. Its all pattern recognition. When they find a consensus of identical associations, they use that for its output. That consensus is about 70%, which leaves a 30% room for error. To get any higher consensus would consume a lot more power.

Being a machine, it runs on an algorithm. Someone has to program it. If it can write code, its been programmed to do that. The Google search engine is programmed to show certain output. AI can also be programmed to do the same. Human bias can creep in pretty quickly.

The other thing to be aware of is the way data is indexed. That is done by humans, and, from my understanding, some of it is pretty bad.

I'm okay with AI doing some of the menial work. But, I'm not okay with AI doing important work. I don't want it setting climate or environmental policy, for example. Those things have way too many variables to be considered. It may be a good tool for finding some of the variables, but its only as good as the data going in, and the underlying programming. Things may get better as time goes along, but we're not there yet.
It's the ability to mix AI and the human brain and genome that should be the concern here because those experiments have been going on for decades. It's not AI robots that are the concern so much. Sure, there is a negative there for loss of jobs and so on but making humans unhuman that is the real concern. The results and outcomes of that for any person will be forever.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT