ADVERTISEMENT

OT - Panama Canal Trip Advice

Looking for advice/insights on visiting the Panama Canal. Is there a cruise line that specializes in this? We are very interested in the construction history as my wife's uncle participated in that effort.
We cruised through the canal on Princess, a mid-range line, interesting to stand on your balcony and follow the ship movement. We usually take 14+ day cruises, don't recall the other ports visited. You will find presentations and seminars while on board. One issue with cruising, generally you are only in port 1 - 2 days then move on to the next port.

Reactions: Nittany Ziggy
Looking for advice/insights on visiting the Panama Canal. Is there a cruise line that specializes in this? We are very interested in the construction history as my wife's uncle participated in that effort.
You've probably already done so, but be sure to read The Path Between the Seas by David McCullough. Great book.

Reactions: Nittany Ziggy
I did a Panama cruise from San Diego to Ft Lauderdale on Holland America pre-Covid. 14 days and a pretty good presentation about the Canal. We went through the old lock system, but it was a smaller ship.

There are shorter trips that go into the Canal, turn around and come back out. But, they do offer excursions into Panama that weren't offered for the full transit. I was on 2 of those. Prefer the full transit, as we don't do a lot of excursions, and I like cruising the Pacific coast.

Reactions: NedFromYork
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT