ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Penn State 1986 gets a shout out in new Jack Reacher novel

just picked up "Make Me" yesterday. without revealing too much, a character pretends to recognize Reacher as a linebacker from the 1986 Penn State team in an attempt to confuse him.

WE ARE . . .

Shane Conlin maybe.

Reactions: simons96
For those trivia people. The Trivette character on the Chuck Norris show "Walker, Texas Ranger" had a background on the show as a former PSU and Dallas Cowboys WR.
Not in real life but it was wrote into the BG bio of the character.

Reactions: Marshall30
30 second book review . . . very well written, moves Reacher around a lot more than other books, describes a lot of good fights of Reacher unarmed vs people with firearms . . . gets VERY VERY dark towards the end . . .

Well, in the books Reacher is like 6'4"....Tom "I can't ride the big rides at Hersheypark" Cruise wasn't the best casting job.

Tom Cruise is 5' 7". OK for Ampipe.

All-The-Right-Moves2.jpg

fc,800x800,white_black.u2.jpg

Reactions: 91Joe95
you know, I am not going to get into the "Cruise looks nothing like Jack Reacher!" debate

fact of the matter is Lee Child (the author) has said there were actors who physically resembled Reacher, but did not project his attitude, which was more important to Child. He said Cruise really surprised him in nailing Reacher's world view.

you know, I am not going to get into the "Cruise looks nothing like Jack Reacher!" debate

fact of the matter is Lee Child (the author) has said there were actors who physically resembled Reacher, but did not project his attitude, which was more important to Child. He said Cruise really surprised him in nailing Reacher's world view.

Perhaps he feels that way or perhaps he had financial incentives in mind - Lee Child fans were going to see it, Cruise opened it to a wider audience.

I am not at all disappointed in the job Cruise did with the role. I just would have preferred an unknown or little known actor taking the role and making it his own.

Now if you want to talk about really, REALLY bad casting jobs, we can discuss Matthew McConaughey as Cusslers Dirk Pitt. :)

Perhaps he feels that way or perhaps he had financial incentives in mind - Lee Child fans were going to see it, Cruise opened it to a wider audience.

I am not at all disappointed in the job Cruise did with the role. I just would have preferred an unknown or little known actor taking the role and making it his own.

Now if you want to talk about really, REALLY bad casting jobs, we can discuss Matthew McConaughey as Cusslers Dirk Pitt. :)

LOL I remember getting into a "heated" discussion with a Reacher fan, and made exactly you're point: no Cruise, no movie. I told him if HE wanted to bring HIS vision of Jack Reacher to the screen, then start his own production company, raise the $60 million to produce the movie, and have at it.

I was very happy with Cruise's performance. and all the Pittsburgh locales were nice to see. certainly a better film than Striking Distance

I think Reacher is app 6'5" , 250 lbs in the books .

and he often uses his size advantage to inflict punishment on his enemies

that being said, I thought Cruise was effectively brutal in his fight scenes, especially against these 2 roided up Pitt grads:

Reactions: 91Joe95
It's a movie from a book, there's a reason there's weight classes, and I doubt those guys were college classes.
And plenty of 6'5", 250 lb guys are using steroids . Not that the imaginary character is though.

You need an actor an IMO cruise was good in the role. I thought of others like Jason Statham or maybe the Rock, but Cruise did well.
He had the Reacher stuff down IMO. Fwiw, ladies love the character . Turned my mom onto the books and her and her girlfriends are now fans.
Book fans are never going to be happy , but I'll take Cruise. Might not be a better guy to play him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT