• Amon Goeth - Schindler's List

Votes: 21 13.4%
  • Tommy DeVito - Goodfellas

Votes: 8 5.1%
  • Anton Chigurgh - No Country for Old Men

Votes: 41 26.1%
  • Colonel Hans Landa - Inglourious Basterds

Votes: 17 10.8%
  • Vito & Michael Corleone - The Godfather ( A Package Deal)

Votes: 11 7.0%
  • Hannibal Lecter - Silence of the Lambs

Votes: 84 53.5%
  • Warden Norton - The Shawshank Redemption

Votes: 12 7.6%
  • Nurse Ratched - One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

Votes: 22 14.0%
  • Darth Vader - Star Wars

Votes: 47 29.9%
  • Joker - The Dark Knight

Votes: 27 17.2%

• Total voters
Write in Candidate >> Prince Rupert (James Mason) the evil brother in Prisoner of Zenda (1952) A truly great villain and I want to add one of the "coolest" villains I have ever seen
in a movie. Also one of the best sword fights (up and down circular stairs) ever.
Its a great movie I highly recommend it.:)

bad-dreams-1988-movie-6.jpg

Loved Richard Lynch in the 1988 classic Bad Dreams.

For purposes of this poll, only human villains, no monsters, animals, robots. You may choose 3!

This is such a difficult task for me as there are SO MANY phenomenal villains. I thought it would be fun.
Randall Flagg

Henry Fonda. And it isn’t close. He brought his self-righteous vampirism to every role.

Very tight battle between Chigurgh and Vader for Silver & Bronze!

Definitely Chigurgh for me on this one. His character is, without a doubt, one of the most fascinating psychopaths ever created on film. The coin flip scene has me on the edge of my seat every single time I watch it!

Reactions: smealpsu2005
Travis Leich in the Hunters series is crazy scary . I was trying to find the clip were he ate peanuts in the plane right next to a peanut allergy kid and his mom . It was soooo wrong . Here’s another clip .

Reactions: hlstone
The joker, to me, was the best villain performance. I also voted for Hannibal. But my third vote would have been for Hans Gruber.
fb418442f389c443a5570141c96dbb07.gif

Reactions: odshowtime
Captain Bligh. Basically starved his crew and cut water rations to water his rubber trees. Mean, nasty bastard. Unfortunately part of his story is true.

Last edited:
Richard Gere's character in Internal Affairs was a real POS.
Hans Gruber was one of my favorites.
Denzel in Training Day?
Gary Oldman in The Professional

Reactions: doublehaul
I've got a tie with Hans Landa & Warden Norton. Both of these guys were evil personified and lacked any conscience. I thought both played their roles to perfection. They also got their just desserts at the end of the films.

Reactions: NittanyChris
I've got a tie with Hans Landa & Warden Norton. Both of these guys were evil personified and lacked any conscience. I thought both played their roles to perfection. They also got their just desserts at the end of the films.

They're also unique in that they were mostly just doing their jobs and basically acted 'lawfully' when doing their deeds. Could argue Landa's murder of Von Hammersmark exceeded his authority, but no way he gets in trouble for that.

Anton Chigurh. For two reasons.

1 -- it's what he represents. The unstoppable nature of evil and death. No matter how good you are or how hard you try, "you can't stop what's coming". The good guys -- Tommy Lee Jones, in this case -- are no match for death and its inevitability. Death doesn't care if you're a high-paid bad guy (Woody Harrelson's character), an innocent man pulled over onto the side of the road, or a gang of Mexican drug runners. It can snatch you in an instant.

2 -- that hair cut.
1 - Yeah , but Chigurh is shown to be only human. A very dangerous and maybe possessed human, but human. He can be hurt and his death might be imminent at the end of the story.
There’s an odd scene where he is driving across a bridge and takes a shot at a crow, apparently missing completely. Why does he do this ? The image of a crow represents death. It is as if he is trying to assassinate death itself and fails. Ultimately, he is not in control of his fate and would see himself as subject to the same toss of the coin as everybody else.
2 - I had a haircut that looked a lot like his when I was in High School ( 1979 ). It didn’t attract girls and nobody was afraid of me.

• Warden Rudolph Hazen in the original longest yard was a rotten human.
  • My favorite movie Tombstone it's a toss up between Curly Bill & Johnny Ringo.
  • In the poll i voted for Colonel Landa

Reactions: Mufasa2
Has Simon Bar Sinister been mentioned yet? That nose! Those teeth! That hair! dude was always up to something...thank God for Underdog.

simon-bar-sinister-underdog-1964-RYYM6H.jpg

There's no need to fear, Underdog is here!
9c545f7d295a4a7170b5c1ff5e6ab078.jpg

For purposes of this poll, only human villains, no monsters, animals, robots. You may choose 3!

This is such a difficult task for me as there are SO MANY phenomenal villains. I thought it would be fun.
A very strange list. Some true villains, some arguably anti-heroes

It's Darth Vader and it isn't close IMO.

Even that scene at the end of Rogue One where he makes an appearance is chilling.

Second place is this guy... French Film.

500px-Manbitesdog-bruni1911-01.jpg

Reactions: Player2BNamedL8r
It's Darth Vader and it isn't close IMO.

Even that scene at the end of Rogue One where he makes an appearance is chilling.

Second place is this guy... French Film.

500px-Manbitesdog-bruni1911-01.jpg

Respectfully disagree. Vader is one note. A cartoon character, really. He is no where near as interesting as the incredibly complex human villains like Lecter and Chigurgh.

Reactions: LionJim
We simply disagree. Lecter is endlessly fascinating. Vader is boring and one note. It's ok to disagree. As long as you're not too upset about being wrong. ;)
Gotta lean towards Vader...what he lacks in complexity (which is a shame, because the Anikan to Vader stories could’ve been done so much better) he more than makes up with his iconic look. I mean, is there a more recognizable villain - voice, helmet/mask, red saber - than the Dark Lord of the Sith?

That said, I have no problem with Lector winning (he’s definitely in my top 3).

This would be an incredibly hard list to put together. I'll add the character Joey Garza from Larry McMurtry's Streets of Laredo. Gene Hackman as Herod in The Quick and the Dead.
Joey Garza was a fascinating character, but his portrayal in the film was SO subpar to his character in the book (hate to be THAT book is better than the movie guy, but in this case...)

...best all-time killer not even on the list...
....Pennsylvania’s very own Jack Palance...

You forgot the greatest villain of all time, Hitler.

Reactions: Obliviax
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT