ADVERTISEMENT

OT : Silly things you remember but are now long gone

I remember waiting there for tickets to The Last Game at Connie Mack--later, while I was at Ogontz Campus, I worked in the auto shop for two-three years.

That was a great night. I listened on the radio and all you heard was the sound of people at work. There used to be a card shop in Willow Grove by the Pizza Hut. The guy had one of the turnstiles as you walked into the store.

Somewhere I have the parchment they gave out that night.

That was a great night. I listened on the radio and all you heard was the sound of people at work. There used to be a card shop in Willow Grove by the Pizza Hut. The guy had one of the turnstiles as you walked into the store.

Somewhere I have the parchment they gave out that night.
I still have my stub. Never got the parchment--but bought a copy on Ebay later. My mom tossed the seat slats I had in a move (I was out of the country at the time, so...). But I have a pair of seats from the Vet (I went to the Last Game there as well--and at Riverfront).

Reactions: mrtailgate
Sports related -

1- Goal posts on the goal line. Think about that for a second with the risk of injury and you shake your head that this was the way you remember it.

2- Pitcher striking out - A wonderful tradition where the opposing catcher flipped the ball to the pitcher who had just struck out for him to take to the mound.

3- You will never forget the best PA man ever Dave Zinkoff telling you that Earl Monroe was at the line shooting three for two and how the words rolled off his tongue. Ditto for him saying whoever was shooting t-eeeeeeeew.

4- The best ever tradition of the fielding team leaving their gloves on the field when they went to hit.

Non Sports Related

I can’t understand it but you youngins will never have to eat pistachios with dyed red shells and then washing your hands to get the dye off it. Just about every pistachio nut bag you could buy were red.

As a kid I remember “Japanese Apples” which became known later as pomegranates. They were garbage often given to farm animals. You could buy them for nothing at the store. Then they became a wonder fruit.

What else you got for stuff you remember that are gone or changed dramatically.

How about some liver for the cat. It was a staple at our house.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT