ADVERTISEMENT

OT : Silly things you remember but are now long gone

Fond memories of buying baseball cards as a kid. 1979. I was jealous when my friend got Steve Garvey. He was jealous when I got Carlton Fisk. We’d get Topps rack packs at the food store.

There were also these comics wrapped around a piece of gum:

scan0309.jpg

What about the McDonalds deal for fries, a burger and a coke, and as they used to advertise it “change back from your dollar.” That is, all that for 99 cents.

Reactions: MJG-90
Fond memories of buying baseball cards as a kid. 1979. I was jealous when my friend got Steve Garvey. He was jealous when I got Carlton Fisk. We’d get Topps rack packs at the food store.

There were also these comics wrapped around a piece of gum:

scan0309.jpg
We would go all over town looking for bottles to return so that we could buy more baseball cards: 5¢ a pack/ 6 packs for a quarter.

What about the McDonalds deal for fries, a burger and a coke, and as they used to advertise it “change back from your dollar.” That is, all that for 99 cents.

YES!!! In sixth grade we had to walk to basketball practice after school. We’d stop at McDonald’s to eat on the way. Mom would give me two 50 cent gift certificates and a nickel. I remember it that I’d get a cheeseburger, small fries and small coke for $1.05. But maybe it was just the hamburger.

We would go all over town looking for bottles to return so that we could buy more baseball cards: 5¢ a pack/ 6 packs for a quarter.

I remember wax packs for 25 cents. They were probably a bit cheaper when I was really young and started collecting.

YES!!! In sixth grade we had to walk to basketball practice after school. We’d stop at McDonald’s to eat on the way. Mom would give me two 50 cent gift certificates and a nickel. I remember it that I’d get a cheeseburger, small fries and small coke for $1.05. But maybe it was just the hamburger.
Spoiled kids....my hometown didn’t even have a McDonalds (it still doesn’t)....it was a special trip to the “city” to get McDonalds for us.

You young kids! Here's what I remember:
8563f0c37d7a73dff3926331a1d849b0.jpg

Reactions: royboy

This would be 1970. We played in a grade school Catholic League on Friday after school and then played Friday night at the Jardel Rec League in the Northeast. Our coach, the great Whitey Sullivan who was a Catholic League high school football coaching legend at Judge, would give each kid on the team a buck for dinner at the Burger Chef down the street from the gym. Pretty generous to say the least. We would all go for the burger, fries, and drink. Our Center, Bobby Buchanan, surveyed the menu and wanted to get the biggest bang for his buck. Burgers were 19 cents so he’d buy 5 and woof them down before the game. At some point, he’d throw up. Those were great times.

Reactions: psu00
The funnel thing they stuck in oil cans when you got oil at a gas station, phone booths, smoking sections in restaurants, coin operated restrooms, the grid box where hotels kept their room keys, metal hotel room keys, carbon paper.

Automotive:
Cars with a dimmer switch on the floor
Cars with a choke
Oil bath air cleaners
Kickstarters on motorcycles

Other:
Chalk boards, eraser cleaning duty
Opaque projectors, mimeograph machines

Howard Johnsons

Sports- the condensed versions of Notre Dame football games, broadcast on Saturday night or Sunday morning. Lindsey Nelson did the call. Everything outside of the plays themselves, and often quite a few plays, was eliminated to fit the game into an hour.

Other- Wax Bottles or Nik-L-Nips, depending on where you lived:
31kr89LHsAL.jpg

Reactions: Woodpecker
Small wax bottles with a kool aid like drink inside. Bit the head of off the bottle to drink. Had a car guy in my neighborhood that would put his wire wheel hub caps in the dishwasher and use Tang to clean them Man, they shined like a cat's ass. One final thought: If FSU had invented Gatorade instead of Florida, we'd be drinking seminole fluid!!

Sports- the condensed versions of Notre Dame football games, broadcast on Saturday night or Sunday morning. Lindsey Nelson did the call. Everything outside of the plays themselves, and often quite a few plays, was eliminated to fit the game into an hour.

Other- Wax Bottles or Nik-L-Nips, depending on where you lived:
31kr89LHsAL.jpg
LOL, We now move to further action in the third quarter!
We were able to receive the Pittsburgh channels along with WSTV in Steubenville and WTRF in Wheeling. On Sundays I could watch The Bobby Bowden show (WTRF), The Woody Hayes Show (WSTV), The Johnny Majors Show, (WTAE), PSU Football Highlights, Grambling Football Highlights (loved the band) and Norte Dame Highlights That made a great lead in to the NFL games on Sunday mornings.

Tudor Electric Football
Bob Prince doing a Pirates game on the radio
Harry Kalas doing a Phillies game
Kalas with Ashburn...
Ashburn complaining openly about umpiring and then Maddux throwing a ball 3 feet outside; Kalas being much more subtle in his criticism, calling it "low and outside, he struck him out!"

Or for the Phillies pitcher:
"Right down the middle for Ball 4" LOL

Turning peoples roof antennas for a few bucks, so they could get Philly stations.
Dusk to Dawn drive in movies, intermission count downs - 3 minutes to show time.
Coal candy with hammer.
Pea shooters, apple fights.
Bailing trees, climb up a birch tree as high as you could and the weight would carry you to the ground, release the tree and it would whip you if you didn't do it right.
Wiffle ball, unorganized sports with games that would go on forever.
Mowing a lawn with a non motorized mower and shoveling snow with a coal shovel.
Pre - non rear window defogger, worked for it. Cars took forever to warm up, AM only radios.

Reactions: 4theglory54
The electric football game that would vibrate to move the players, ice cream sandwiches out of a vending machine at the pool, personal pan pizzas at the Hut, throwing your first dead prostitute off a bridge, listening to Fran Fisher and George Paterno on the radio.

Reactions: AWS1022
You young kids! Here's what I remember:
8563f0c37d7a73dff3926331a1d849b0.jpg
My sister and a couple of her daughters are down visiting this weekend for my little sister’s 40th birthday. She told a story last night about working at Burger King when she was in high school and they had a special .10 hamburger day. She was working the line with one other person making the burgers and was getting annoyed that people were coming through the drive they order 15-20 burgers a shot. Then they got the call that somebody in the drive thru ordered 100 burgers. She and the other burger maker flipped out about the idiot that would order that many burgers at one time in the drive thru. When the car pulled up to the window it was my father. She said he was laughing uncontrollably and she starting laughing in turn when she saw him.
All that to say, I miss a day of .10 hamburgers and my father.

Phillies' Kalas:
"Dark, ominous clouds are blowing in from the west"
Ashburn:
"Hard to believe, Harry"
Orioles' Chuck Thompson:
"Go to war, Miss Agnes!"
"Ain't the beer cold!"

My sister and a couple of her daughters are down visiting this weekend for my little sister’s 40th birthday. She told a story last night about working at Burger King when she was in high school and they had a special .10 hamburger day. She was working the line with one other person making the burgers and was getting annoyed that people were coming through the drive they order 15-20 burgers a shot. Then they got the call that somebody in the drive thru ordered 100 burgers. She and the other burger maker flipped out about the idiot that would order that many burgers at one time in the drive thru. When the car pulled up to the window it was my father. She said he was laughing uncontrollably and she starting laughing in turn when she saw him.
All that to say, I miss a day of .10 hamburgers and my father.

Outstanding! Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: Connorpozlee
We were able to receive the Pittsburgh channels along with WSTV in Steubenville and WTRF in Wheeling. On Sundays I could watch The Bobby Bowden show (WTRF), The Woody Hayes Show (WSTV), The Johnny Majors Show, (WTAE), PSU Football Highlights, Grambling Football Highlights (loved the band) and Norte Dame Highlights That made a great lead in to the NFL games on Sunday mornings.

I expected the scratch and sniff foldout in Hustler to be amongst your memories.

Reactions: Nittany Ziggy
The electric football game that would vibrate to move the players, ice cream sandwiches out of a vending machine at the pool, personal pan pizzas at the Hut, throwing your first dead prostitute off a bridge, listening to Fran Fisher and George Paterno on the radio.

Wow! C'mon I have a hard time believing that!

Ice Cream sandwiches, really!?

Some silly, some not:

Neighborhood kids working on their forts and tree forts throughout the year.
Nuns slapping you into the middle of next week.
Flipping baseball cards against a wall with the closest card to the wall winning and taking all other cards.
Volunteering to do the memeograph machine in school so you could snort the smell.
Lava lamps.
Back in the day when everyone knew everyone else, no matter where you went in town the most frightening words you ever heard were.....(insert your name) "I'm going to tell your mother what you're doing!"
Teachers with paddles.
Fallout shelters and hiding under your desk drills in school to avoid a nuclear explosion!
Pledge of Allegiance was done each morning before classes started.
I don't think I've ever seen my grandmother without an apron on.
Clamdigger attire.
Gun safety classes in school. Most boys started with a Daisey Red Rider BB gun, then a .22 and on up.
Going to school and having your shotgun mounted on your rearview truck window mount or laying on the backseat of your car so you could get to your favorite hunting spot as soon as school left out. And no one blinked an eye.
Family stationwagons. We went everywhere in those things.
Building rafts over the winter in your yard so you could conquor the mighty Susquehanna River. Greater majority sank but never our resolve.
The Lone Ranger was a badass.

Yeah, slapped across the face by a teacher when I was asking for it. Let’s not get onto a big debate about it here, please. I was asking for it, it was 50 years ago. There are better ways to get ones point over, though, and it’s a good thing that this doesn’t happen any more. Full stop. But I learned from that.

Complete games thrown by pitchers
20 game winners
Baseball games under 2 hours

As a side not, I’m sitting here watching MLB and it’s the final game of the 1971 World Series and Curt Gowdy is talking about the desire to speed up games. Mind you he just said that the first 5 innings of the 71 Game 7 was completed in an hour and five minutes and he’s talking about speeding it up further.

Saturday morning cartoons on all 3 networks.
Regional professional wrestling promotions.
Local news being only 30 minutes long.
Being able to drive from Scottdale to Mount Pleasant without hitting a stoplight, there are 7 between the two towns now.

Reactions: mdking001
And then during the week came the PSU TV Quarterbacks show on PBS with Fran Fisher, Jim Tarman, and Joe Paterno.

Loved those shows.

Yeah, for me that was the first time a girl’s hip was more than hypothetical. Laugh if you must, but I remember that hip, vividly. I don’t remember her name but am grateful for her contribution to my life.
I assume that memory has changed post #3 of this thread:oops:

Anyone else go to a school with a fire escape slide? My middle school had 3 of them.
HauntedSchoolHouse.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT