ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Tobaccos, Coffees, & Libations

backdrft76

Gold Member
Sep 7, 2012
Seeing @Just another PSU Fan's post this morning finally got me off my ass to do something I wanted to do a long time ago, and that's start an OT thread about tobacco, coffee, and libations and see who likes what here.

My thing for 25+ years has been cigars. It started in 1998 at my brother's HS graduation party when a guy brought a box of Holt's Classics from Philly for everyone to try, and that opened the flood gates for me. I got into Acid's very early on, and then went down the rabbit hole from there, including buying up Cubans online before the COVID price hike. I've currently got 7 humidors, 6 of which are resting Cubans, the other light-medium non-Cubans.

My favorite cigars are Oliva Connecticut Reserve (lighter) and Serie V Melanio (fuller), Cubans Partagas, H Upmann, San Cristobal and HdM.

I thoroughly enjoy pairing a light roast coffee with cream and splenda with my cigar, and have no qualms about enjoying both in the morning hours. I'm not much of an alcohol guy anymore, even though I know I'm missing out on the bourbon pairings.

I also recently tried my first bag of bulk pipe tobacco (Kramer's Father Dempsey). I bought a pipe starter set on Amazon, and for me it's a different flavor I get to experience in a quicker format. Picking up a pipe is definitely a learning process and one I want to continue to explore in the very near future.

Does anyone else here enjoy any specific cigars, pipe tobaccos, coffee, liquors, etc?

Seeing @Just another PSU Fan's post this morning finally got me off my ass to do something I wanted to do a long time ago, and that's start an OT thread about tobacco, coffee, and libations and see who likes what here.

My thing for 25+ years has been cigars. I started in 1998 at my younger brother's HS graduation party when a guy brought a box of Holt's Classics from Philly for everyone to try, and that opened the flood gates for me. I got into Acid's very early on, and then went down the rabbit hole from there, including buying up Cubans online before the COVID price hike. I've currently got 7 humidors, 6 of which are resting Cubans, the other light-medium non-Cubans.

My favorite cigars are Oliva Connecticut Reserve (lighter) and Serie V Melanio (fuller), Cubans Partagas, H Upmann, San Cristobal and HdM.

I thoroughly enjoy pairing a cheap light body coffee with cream and splenda with my cigar, and have no qualms about enjoying both at 8 am. I'm not much of an alcohol guy anymore, even though I know I'm missing out on the bourbon pairings.

I also recently tried my first bag of bulk pipe tobacco (Kramer's Father Dempsey). I bought a pipe starter set on Amazon, and for me it's a different flavor I get to experience in a quicker format. Picking up a pipe is definitely a learning process and one I want to continue to explore in the very near future.

Does anyone else here enjoy any specific cigars, pipe tobaccos, coffee, liquors, etc?
gloria cubana series 9 but only on seldom occasions (like a min 40 ring)
coffee - not a nut but do like Peete's. Not much of a bourbon/scotch drinker will will sip on anything someone hands me and says it is good. Getting into gin a bit.
Beer - love it too much. Wore out IPAs back when i was homebrewing. Feel microbrews make them for the quick turnaround (ale's) and being able to hide any brewing mistakes with hops. I like a good lager/pils. Favor siera nevada's summer (lager not an ale or wheat). Like my stouts - not imperials as high abv's would have me switch to wine! Also like my wine. Favor the reds and lately been diving into Pinot's. View on wine - changes every year

Last edited:
Love coffee—was drinking way too much in my 30s and nowadays seek the best tasting one or two I can get in my day. Usually an Americano or espresso—though I recently got an aeropress for home, and really like the flavor I get out of it. Hand-crank grinder is the way to go for one of those.

Gave up tobacco a long time ago. Used to enjoy a pipe with non-aromatic leaf, but the sinus infections were relentless.

I’m a whiskey (rye, bourbon, scotch, japanese, all suitable) and pilsner guy these days.

Reactions: Ruby Tues

My thing for 25+ years has been cigars. It started in 1998 at my brother's HS graduation party when a guy brought a box of Holt's Classics from Philly for everyone to try, and that opened the flood gates for me. I got into Acid's very early on, and then went down the rabbit hole from there, including buying up Cubans online before the COVID price hike. I've currently got 7 humidors, 6 of which are resting Cubans, the other light-medium non-Cubans.

I thoroughly enjoy pairing a cheap light body coffee with cream and splenda with my cigar, and have no qualms about enjoying both at 8 am. I'm not much of an alcohol guy anymore, even though I know I'm missing out on the bourbon pairings.

Are you still in Ft. Myers this weekend? I'm flying to Naples Friday morning for the weekend.
Aaaaaaand I shipped down a George T Stagg yesterday so I'd have something to sip. You bring the cigars and I have the whiskey.

... I'm not fancy with coffee --- Half Caff KKup in the Keurig 3x every morning ... My daily goto smoke is the Perdomo Lot 23 Maduro 4.5x60 - it's a medium weight/tight wrap/even ash smoke. I will every so often mix it up with a Padron 7000 Maduro (6x60) or Jaime Garcia Reserva Especial (5.75x66).

Best after dinner beverage ( mudslide - 1/2 gallon vanilla ice cream, 8oz Tito's, 6oz Baileys, 6oz Kahlua - blend it up - drizzle chocolate syrup in the glass ) --

Slowly getting back into the cigar game. I like a 42 ring Macanudo, Acid, or Fuente. Really only have them when I golf though.

Love me some Stouts, Porters and Brown Ales. Not an IPA guy.

I’ve been ruined by firehouse coffee. Dark black mud will do the trick!

For me, coffee is my guilty pleasure. I discovered artisan coffee years ago at W.C. Clarke’s in State College. I then discovered Fresh Roasted Coffee in Selinsgrove, now in Sunbury. All of FRC coffee is roasted to order and shipped either the same day or next. Extremely quick turn around…typically 4 business days from order to receipt. They also have a walk-in retail store at their facility. My go-to coffees are:

1. Mocha Java. It’s an artisan blend of Yemen and Indonesian coffees with a medium roast and bold body. My favorite.

2. Dark Ethiopian Yirgacheffe Kochere. It’s a dark roast with an x-tra bold body. This coffee isn’t what you would expect a dark roast coffee to taste like. Absolutely zero bitterness or burnt taste. Extra smooth and flavorful.

In 2020, during the height of Covid, this company was sending care packages to first responders. My daughter was a nurse at a Harrisburg hospital caring for ventilated patients. FRC sent her unit 12 pounds of various coffees. This is a local business that you want to support.

I gave up tobacco some time ago.

Libations? Wheat beer, such as Hoegaarden and Franziskaner are my favorites.

Last edited:
Let's talk whiskey. I'm primarily a bourbon man now. Have migrated from scotch which was my go to. I tend to be a legacy distillery guy. Although craft distilleries make some good juice. It can be hit or miss. Plus, they tend to add finishing casks to the process which I'm not a huge fan of. I also have spoiled my palate with higher proofers. My favorite distilleries are Wild Turkey (Wild Turkey Rare Breed/Russell's Single Barrel/Russell's 13), Heaven Hill (Elijah Craig Barrel Proof/Larceny Barrel Proof/ HH Bottled in Bond), Buffalo Trace (Stagg Jr/EH Taylor Barrel Proof and Small Batch/Blantons Straight From The Barrel/Weller Full Proof and Antique 107/George T Stagg/William LaRue Weller/Pappy Van Winkle line), Old Forester (Birthday Bourbon/1920/President's Choice/150th Anniversary), and Michter's (10 year old/ Bomberger's Declaration), Jim Beam (Booker's/Little Book/Baker's 13).

There are some craft distilleries that are worth mentioning such as Milam and Greene, K.Luke, Wilderness Trail, Rabbit Hole, James Pepper, Liberty Pole (Pittsburgh shout out), New Riff, and Redwood Empire amongst others. The only sub 100 proofers on this list are Old Forester Birthday Bourbon and Pappy Van Winkle 20.

With Scotch I am mainly a Highlands guy. On rare occasions i will dive into a peaty whisky from Islay, but I tend to favor the fruity profiles in the Highlands. My house scotch is Royal Lochnagar 12. Distilleries I favor are Dalmore, Clynelish, Royal Brackla, Glengoyne, Old Pultney, Bunnahaiban, and Mortlach. Macallan is great stuff but it is sooo pricey. When I want smoke I go with Laphroig or Bruichladdich.

Let's talk whiskey. I'm primarily a bourbon man now. Have migrated from scotch which was my go to. I tend to be a legacy distillery guy. Although craft distilleries make some good juice. It can be hit or miss. Plus, they tend to add finishing casks to the process which I'm not a huge fan of. I also have spoiled my palate with higher proofers. My favorite distilleries are Wild Turkey (Wild Turkey Rare Breed/Russell's Single Barrel/Russell's 13), Heaven Hill (Elijah Craig Barrel Proof/Larceny Barrel Proof/ HH Bottled in Bond), Buffalo Trace (Stagg Jr/EH Taylor Barrel Proof and Small Batch/Blantons Straight From The Barrel/Weller Full Proof and Antique 107/George T Stagg/William LaRue Weller/Pappy Van Winkle line), Old Forester (Birthday Bourbon/1920/President's Choice/150th Anniversary), and Michter's (10 year old/ Bomberger's Declaration), Jim Beam (Booker's/Little Book/Baker's 13).

There are some craft distilleries that are worth mentioning such as Milam and Greene, K.Luke, Wilderness Trail, Rabbit Hole, James Pepper, Liberty Pole (Pittsburgh shout out), New Riff, and Redwood Empire amongst others. The only sub 100 proofers on this list are Old Forester Birthday Bourbon and Pappy Van Winkle 20.

With Scotch I am mainly a Highlands guy. On rare occasions i will dive into a peaty whisky from Islay, but I tend to favor the fruity profiles in the Highlands. My house scotch is Royal Lochnagar 12. Distilleries I favor are Dalmore, Clynelish, Royal Brackla, Glengoyne, Old Pultney, Bunnahaiban, and Mortlach. Macallan is great stuff but it is sooo pricey. When I want smoke I go with Laphroig or Bruichladdich.
We have very similar palates, I think. Sadly, my budget doesn't compare as favorably to yours, lol.

Cigars and playing pool.

My favorite Cigars are Romeo y Juliet mostly because my grandfather smoked them. I also enjoy La Aroma de Cuba.

As far as pool playing I got serious about that after my coaching days were over. In fact this past week my 8 ball team one the ACS 8 ball standard division championship in Las Vegas, we also placed 5/6 in 9 ball. What was sweet about it was this was not an assembled dream team, just our regular ACS pool league team that we play together each week.

Pop Tv Gomez GIF by One Day At A Time

Slowly getting back into the cigar game. I like a 42 ring Macanudo, Acid, or Fuente. Really only have them when I golf though.

Love me some Stouts, Porters and Brown Ales. Not an IPA guy.

I’ve been ruined by firehouse coffee. Dark black mud will do the trick!
My kinda guy. I'm into the imperials and the Belgians. Porter is a good standby if all else fails. If they have Bud, I order ice tea.

I once did acid and went down a rabbit hole. I like this thread.

In 2020, during the height of Covid, this company was sending care packages to first responders. My daughter was a nurse at a Harrisburg hospital caring for ventilated patients. FRC sent her unit 12 pounds of various coffees. This is a local business that you want to support.

UPMC? Sounds a lot like what my wife experienced, although I don't think she mentioned who sent the gracious supplier.

CAO Brazilia is one awesome cigar

Not into coffee or cigars.

Libations- Beer and bourbon. For beer I’m an IPA and Stout guy. Especially big BA stouts.

Bourbon my tastes seem to align very closely with 82bordeaux

I'm a big Scotch and Whiskey lover but stick primarily to the basics. I Love Glenlivet 18, Woodford Reserved Double Oaked, and Roundstone Rye, a local rye whiskey produced near me here at Catoctin Creek Distillery.

Regarding cigars, I used to have a business partner that did a lot of international travel and he used to bring me back boxes of Cuban Romeo y Julieta's and Cohiba's. But he doesn't travel any longer and I'm too lazy to deal with where to get legitimate ones online so have switched to Nicaraguan Padron 1964 Anniversary Series cigars.

I'm not a total coffee snob but my wife likes to go antiquing in Lancaster and we like some of the local roasters such as Lancaster County Coffee Roasters. Other than that I'll settle for a nice deep roast from Starbucks or Peet's in a pinch.

Reactions: 82bordeaux
Highly recommend Rothrock Coffee shop in State College, moved to South Carolina and they ship beans to me. Owner is Olympic BMX Gold Medalist Jamie Bestwick. Awesome individual.

Reactions: Pitchfork Rebel
I'm a big Scotch and Whiskey lover but stick primarily to the basics. I Love Glenlivet 18, Woodford Reserved Double Oaked, and Roundstone Rye, a local rye whiskey produced near me here at Catoctin Creek Distillery.
Whenever you're up here visiting family ping me. I'll do my best to ruin your whiskey palate. You're doing all right with those Padrons! I have a locker at The Brig Cigar Bar with some sticks and whiskey in it.

Love Clynelish and Old Pultney and as a fan of new American oak aging (no peat, no sherry), add Oban, Oban Little Bay, Deanston (12 yo and Virgin Oak) and Glen Grant 15.

Re: Oban they historically used a tiny bit of peat. Personally, I don't detect it. I visited the distillery (fabulous place and town) last year and was told they discontinued use of peat 8-10 years ago. So in a few years your Oban 14 might taste a little different.

Last edited:
Reactions: 82bordeaux
I'm at Lancaster Brewing Co. now.

We are having Lemon Blueberry Shandy and steak for 20th anniversary.. Also Pizza Boys in Enola has an amazing array of beers.. Appalachian is good too...I'd rather support small brewers with interesting stuff than mega brewers with insipid blandities.

Reactions: PASLP2 and hlstone
I'm at Lancaster Brewing Co. now.

We are having Lemon Blueberry Shandy and steak for 20th anniversary.. Also Pizza Boys in Enola has an amazing array of beers.. Appalachian is good too...I'd rather support small brewers with interesting stuff than mega brewers with insipid blandities.
I go to Pizza Boy sometimes. Good tap list for sure

Reactions: Pitchfork Rebel
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT