ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Wendy's New Breakfast Menu - a review....

• Thread starter anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
  • Start date
A

anon_xdc8rmuek44eq

Always found it weird that one of the 'big three' (before Chick-fil-A disrupted everything) national fast food chains didn't have a breakfast option. McDonald's has the blueprint and Burger King pretty much did the same thing but with croissants and hash brown bites. Anyway, Wendy's is most convenient for me so the idea that I might be able to grab a breakfast sandwich if need be was pretty enticing. Just to level-set, let me add that my favorite 'fast food' breakfasts (national chains) right now are:

1. Chick-fil-A
2. McDonald's
3. Taco Bell
4. Burger King
5. Starbucks (if desperate)

Anyway - went in to Wendy's this morning (yet another interior renovation has happened since I've last been) mostly because I was curious about the menu. They have some standard items with a few twists - offer a croissant like Burger King, but it's shaped like a traditional bun. Have a couple chicken items on the menu (honey chicken biscuit, maple bacon chicken and egg croissant) as well as sausage and bacon sandwich offerings. Their potato side is seasoned wedges, which are actually pretty good. I ordered the maple bacon chicken and egg croissant and was stunned at how sweet it was. I thought 'maple bacon' meant the bacon might be maple flavored, but they actually drizzle maple syrup on the bacon so it's pretty potent and way too sweet for my tastes. This was disappointing, but still, it's a decent sandwich - the croissant was pretty good and flaky and held up to the chicken and bacon quite well (as a variation on the Seinfeld 'fudge distribution' theory, the croissant allows for near perfect chicken/bacon/croissant distribution). The best part about it was even with the syrup, it wasn't messy. Very easy to eat with zero drippings. The potato wedges were tasty; very hearty and easy to dip in ketchup. But, their saltiness didn't go well with the overly sweet sandwich. I'm stunned that Wendy's, the first chain I can remember to do a spicy chicken sandwich, did not have a spicy chicken option for breakfast (neither does Chick-fil-A, unless you ask, and they may or may not do it for you). So overall, fine, but not great, and probably only slightly above Starbucks in my breakfast fast food ratings. Next time I'll try a more basic sandwich I think.

I will say Wendy's is putting their money where their mouth is - if you don't like whatever item you try, tell them and they will exchange it for another of your choice at no cost or fuss. Ballsy.

IMG_5718.jpg

348s.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Always found it weird that one of the 'big three' (before Chick-fil-A disrupted everything) national fast food chains didn't have a breakfast option. McDonald's has the blueprint and Burger King pretty much did the same thing but with croissants and hash brown bites. Anyway, Wendy's is most convenient for me so the idea that I might be able to grab a breakfast sandwich if need be was pretty enticing. Just to level-set, let me add that my favorite 'fast food' breakfasts (national chains) right now are:

1. Chick-fil-A
2. McDonald's
3. Taco Bell
4. Burger King

Anyway - went in to Wendy's this morning (yet another interior renovation has happened since I've last been) mostly because I was curious about the menu. They have some standard items with a few twists - offer a croissant like Burger King, but it's shaped like a traditional bun. Have a couple chicken items on the menu (honey chicken biscuit, maple bacon chicken and egg croissant) as well as sausage and bacon sandwich offerings. Their potato side is seasoned wedges, which are actually pretty good. I ordered the maple bacon chicken and egg croissant and was stunned at how sweet it was. I thought 'maple bacon' meant the bacon might be maple flavored, but they actually drizzle maple syrup on the bacon so it's pretty potent and way too sweet for my tastes. This was disappointing, but still, it's a decent sandwich - the croissant was pretty good and flaky and held up to the chicken and bacon quite well (as a variation on the Seinfeld 'fudge distribution' theory, the croissant allows for near perfect chicken/bacon/croissant distribution). The best part about it was even with the syrup, it wasn't messy. Very easy to eat with zero drippings. The potato wedges were tasty; very hearty and easy to dip in ketchup. But, their saltiness didn't go well with the overly sweet sandwich. I'm stunned that Wendy's, the first chain I can remember to do a spicy chicken sandwich, did not have a spicy chicken option for breakfast (neither does Chick-fil-A, unless you ask, and they may or may not do it for you). So overall, fine, but not great, and probably only slightly above Starbucks in my breakfast fast food ratings. Next time I'll try a more basic sandwich I think.

I will say Wendy's is putting their money where their mouth is - if you don't like whatever item you try, tell them and they will exchange it for another of your choice at no cost or fuss. Ballsy.

IMG_5718.jpg

348s.jpg

Thanks for this review. Been thinking if wanted to try their breakfast.

For those of us a little bit older, does anyone else remember Wendy's having breakfast when they first appeared? It didn't last long but I seem to remember them having breakfast. Like Midnighter, I have never understood why they were so willing to concede the breakfast market to their competitors for all these years. Maybe too little too late for them now.

For those of us a little bit older, does anyone else remember Wendy's having breakfast when they first appeared? It didn't last long but I seem to remember them having breakfast. Like Midnighter, I have never understood why they were so willing to concede the breakfast market to their competitors for all these years. Maybe too little too late for them now.
Yes--and they tried it twice (this is go round no. 3). They had pretty decent omelets the first time that I would stop for.

If you have one in your area, try Tim Horton's for breakfast. But make sure you have a smart phone as they just eliminated their rewards card (that's less than a year old) for an app.

1. Chick-fil-A
2. McDonald's
3. Taco Bell
4. Burger King

IMG_5718.jpg

348s.jpg

I have always felt the biggest waste of bacon was on a burger. IMO, it;s rightful place is on my plate between my eggs, toast and home fries.

1. Chick-fil-A
2. McDonald's
3. Taco Bell
4. Burger King

IMG_5718.jpg

348s.jpg

I"m not a breakfast sandwich fan especially but how did I miss this...

https://www.wtkr.com/news/dunkins-donut-releases-snackin-bacon-as-new-menu-item

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq

I remember having breakfast once at a Wendy's back in the mid 80s. The potatoes were tater tots. Everything was edible but nothing special.

Yes--and they tried it twice (this is go round no. 3). They had pretty decent omelets the first time that I would stop for.

If you have one in your area, try Tim Horton's for breakfast. But make sure you have a smart phone as they just eliminated their rewards card (that's less than a year old) for an app.

I don't remember that; but, I go to Canada a good bit and am familiar with 'Timmy's' (funny how everyone there talks about it like it's a member of their family). I will say the best breakfast place in my area (NoVa) is a place called 'Famous Toastery' which is in Ashburn and Reston. They have daily specials (including cocktails) and a 'country eggs benedict' with Virginia ham and gravy instead of hollandaise and Canadian bacon. Wonderful! Oh - and the owner is a VT guy, so lots of VT stuff throughout.

Reactions: 91Joe95

Yep, this is their 4th go around with breakfast. Wendy’s first launched breakfast back in 1985, and tried again in 2007, and 2012.

I used to get the spicy chicken and egg biscuit at my local chick FIL a , but they removed friom the menu. I’m told that it’s a regional decision whether to offer it. So sad!

Agree! The one time I asked for it they did it, but it took longer than is worth waiting for. I'll also add that sometimes they have a 'secret' breakfast item that if ordered, is free. At least that's what happened on one occasion - no idea if this is just a store thing, or if it's done elsewhere.

Tim's is righteous. They're a little spotty in the US, but I always hit em when I am near them. I drink their coffee every day....thanks, Amazon.

I don't prefer to eat breakfast at McDonald's or KFC because there's practically nothing but fast food. Of course, early breakfast at McDonald's is our constant tradition if we go on a road trip. I usually make breakfast at home, but on weekends my husband and I go to local cafes and enjoy the atmosphere of the fallen city. Some of our favorite homemade breakfasts are scrambled eggs with bacon and cherry tomatoes and Czech pancakes with honey filling. I found the perfect pancake recipe at palacinky.org. It is the only recipe that made me get thin, delicious pancakes. I often search for recipes on the Internet and prepare various dishes this way.

Last edited:
I don't prefer to eat breakfast at McDonald's or KFC because there's practically nothing but fast food. Of course, early breakfast at McDonald's is our constant tradition if we go on a road trip.
I love egg mcmuffins and their hash browns.

My issue with Wendy's is that if feels like I can't get out of their for less than 20 minutes, even in the drive through. For some reason, they've become painfully slow. It is to the point where "fast food" at Wendy's has become "not so fast food". I quit going as a result even though I love their chili and baked potatoes.

I like the sausage McMuffins so much so that my wife bought the round things in which to cook the eggs.
Buy English Muffins, Jimmy Dean's Hot sausage, some cheddar cheese and wham. A Sausage McMuffin within 15 minutes. Add another 20 minutes if you want to make some potatoes.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
If there's a Bojangles in your area check it out. Good breakfast sandwiches on their biscuits. And you can get their dirty rice with a breakfast combo. If you want something sweet, the blueberry biscuit is only a buck and is tremendous.

• Love
Reactions: john4psu
I like the sausage McMuffins so much so that my wife bought the round things in which to cook the eggs.
Buy English Muffins, Jimmy Dean's Hot sausage, some cheddar cheese and wham. A Sausage McMuffin within 15 minutes. Add another 20 minutes if you want to make some potatoes.
And much cheaper. And you don’t need to put on clothes!

If there's a Bojangles in your area check it out. Good breakfast sandwiches on their biscuits. And you can get their dirty rice with a breakfast combo. If you want something sweet, the blueberry biscuit is only a buck and is tremendous.
I stopped at one on the trip back from Auburn. Excellent chicken biscuit for breakfast. Had I only known about the blueberry ones!

I like their potato wedges. The French toast sticks are meh. Just taste like heavy bread.

leaving out the specificity of breakfast, my favorite fast food places:

• Chick fil a
  • My favorite Irish restaurant (Mcdonald's)
  • Chipoltle
  • Five Guys
  • Arby's
  • Wendys
  • Caines
  • Taco Bell
  • Burger King

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT