ADVERTISEMENT

Out of all the Penn State Football Players here is my starting offense:

Mr. Potter

Dec 27, 2004
QB: Kerry Collins
RB: Saquon Barkley
FB: Franco Harris
O-Line: Ron Heller, Steve Wisnewski, Jeff Hartings, Mike Munchak, Tom Rafferty
W'r's: Allen Robinson - Bobby Engram (third wide-out would be Godwin)
TE; Kyle Brady

Reactions: psu1969a
TE; Kyle Brady
I love franco but as a true fullback I would go with Jon Witman.

Reactions: pointingdogsrule
We could run a bunch of backs, linemen and tight ends out there and still be great with any. The top four or so wideouts are probably fairly easy. What about Ted Kwalick over Brady. I always liked Tim Manoa as a full back, but Witman or Suey were great as well. Of course Franco wasn't too bad. Saquon wins out but any of our top 5 or six backs would be okay. It's like picking 3 linebackers. Someone has to be left off.

TE; Kyle Brady
You have a fine list but as always there are too many to just pick 11 You would have to go 3 or 4 deep and that may still not be enough

Kyle Brady could block. Watching him cave in the entire Illinois line was an experience I haven’t forgotten.
can you imagine them both on that 94 team? what poor defender gets to get trucked by Brady on one play and then have to cover Gesicki the next?

TE; Kyle Brady
nice list , except you are trying to play the game with 4 guards and 1 tackle.

Reactions: bison13
We could run a bunch of backs, linemen and tight ends out there and still be great with any. The top four or so wideouts are probably fairly easy. What about Ted Kwalick over Brady. I always liked Tim Manoa as a full back, but Witman or Suey were great as well. Of course Francolick wasn't too bad. Saquon wins out but any of our top 5 or six backs would be okay. It's like picking 3 linebackers. Someone has to be left off.
Glad you mentioned Kwalick. Kind of a hybrid of Brady and Giseki,

Reactions: BarryPSU
I’d give Gesecki consideration for TE. And Brian Milne was a great FB who I’d think about. It’s a tough call.

No offense but Brady vs Gesicki is not a close call. Brady was not allergic to blocking.

The 3 interior guys (Steve W, Hartings and Munchak) are the best and it would be hard to argue there were guys better than those 3. IMHO Kareem McKenzie was the best RT that ever played at PSU. He had a long NFL career and at least a couple of rings. OJ McDuffie makes my top 3 at wideout. He played big in big games. The top 4 are Godwin, McD, Kenny Jackson and Engram with Allen Robinson nipping at their heals. IIRC McD and KJ were both 1st round picks.Brady edges out Gesicki because he was a dominant blocker. he could handle any DE he faced. Remember him silencing Simeon Rice at Illinois. Actually Kwalick is his closest competition. FB is the hardest to select. Monoa, Gash, Milne, Witman and Smith. If I had to pick one I'd go with Smith.

Reactions: NittanyTerp
He might not be a starter, but my team would have a healthy Aaron Harris on it, as a utility back. I feel bad for injured players anyway, but his knee injury was heartbreaking. He had incredible balance after contact and was playing fullback when he could have started at tailback. After the knee injury, he wasn't quite the same.

Reactions: Mr. Potter
The 3 interior guys (Steve W, Hartings and Munchak) are the best and it would be hard to argue there were guys better than those 3. IMHO Kareem McKenzie was the best RT that ever played at PSU. He had a long NFL career and at least a couple of rings. OJ McDuffie makes my top 3 at wideout. He played big in big games. The top 4 are Godwin, McD, Kenny Jackson and Engram with Allen Robinson nipping at their heals. IIRC McD and KJ were both 1st round picks.Brady edges out Gesicki because he was a dominant blocker. he could handle any DE he faced. Remember him silencing Simeon Rice at Illinois. Actually Kwalick is his closest competition. FB is the hardest to select. Monoa, Gash, Milne, Witman and Smith. If I had to pick one I'd go with Smith.

I forgot about Kwalick. Different style then but he probably is still the gold standard for TEs.

Another good thread. Thanks.

Agree with others who admit such lists are nearly impossible for a consensus. But the idea seems to be simply to spur discussion toward football rather than the virus. So I'll bite.

At RB, I'd rotate a crew consisting of Saquon Barkley, Curt Warner, Ki-Jana Carter, or Larry Johnson ... all Home Run threats from anywhere on the field. If I needed a yard or 2, I'd add Brian Milne, Steven Smith, or John Cappelletti (I had to get an Italian in here somewhere ;)).

The TE choice of Kyle Brady is excellent, with Ted Kwalick my pick over Mike Gesicki.

At WR you have a guy who always got open and who caught just about everything in his area code: Bobby Engram. Then add a guy who could leap a mile and make the YAC like ARob. The 3rd WR would be a mix of the other 2, like Kenny Jackson or OJ McDuffie.

Now at QB, I'm going to go all hair-brained, bat-**** crazy. I'll take a guy with a decent arm, but in today's world, I want someone who is also a threat to kill you with his legs. I'm going with the poorly used Rashard Casey or the man whose will to win was stronger than any other QB I can think of: Michael Robinson.

All of OL guys previously mentioned by posters are fine with me. I don't know what to look for in picking an G, C, or C. I'm not sharp enough to understand all the nuances about quick feet or arm length that guys here who coached football know so well. But I'd bet any 5 already discussed would be able to clear a path for those 4.3/4.4 RBs or pass block well enough for Casey or MRob to find Engram, ARob or KJ open.

If there was ever a need to kick a FG or punt (this is all fantasy anyway, right?), I'd get Robbie Gould and John Bruno.

So when do we start naming the defense?

A couple of lineman from the 60' - 70' area that were pretty good are Glenn Ressler who was a pretty good lineman and had a long career with the Jets. Bill Lenkaitis was also a pretty good lineman and ended up with the Patriots.
There have been so many good players over the years it is so hard to limit it down to the best for each position. Ted Kwalick was a great tight end. So was Kyle Brady and Mike G. It is tough to say one is better than the other.

A couple of lineman from the 60' - 70' area that were pretty good are Glenn Ressler who was a pretty good lineman and had a long career with the Jets. Bill Lenkaitis was also a pretty good lineman and ended up with the Patriots.
There have been so many good players over the years it is so hard to limit it down to the best for each position. Ted Kwalick was a great tight end. So was Kyle Brady and Mike G. It is tough to say one is better than the other.
Let alone the Greer guy ( Roosevelt)

Reactions: BarryPSU
Let alone the Greer guy ( Roosevelt)
I would think Lenny Moore and also John Cappelletti may be considered too for two of the better running backs to play for Penn State. Jimmy Cefalo should also be considered as a WR. Richie Lucas was a great QB at Penn State and was runner up for the Heisman in 1959 to Billy Cannon of LSU. That was back when PSU teams were not that prominent. There have been so many great players over the years that it is too hard to say one was better than the other when they were all great players with the team they were on at that time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Option Bob
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT