ADVERTISEMENT

Outlook for next year's newcomers

My only reservation with Joseph is whether or not he'll be a full size 165#er. IIRC last year he got handled twice at 149 by a kid who simply looked bigger. I believe it was Isaiah White who is now at tOSU. Less than a year later Cenzo's up 15 pounds and facing college studs.

Redshirting is wrestling is a bit different than in other sports. Hall with likely defer a year and then redshirt to pursue freestyle options and work on other aspects of his game to be able to compete internationally
Thanks for the input. I'm learning.

The above match happened in June of 2015. The weight class: 145 lbs (in the round prior Joseph beat Anthony Ashnault, so if there is any question as to how good Vincenzo is, he's beating AA's). Approximately 6 months later Joseph was unable to make 157 on two separate occasions. I know everyone is penciling Joseph in at 165, but what is the chance that this growth spurt isn't over yet? Is there a world were Bo moves up, not to accommodate Joseph, but rather because it's what's best for him, and Joseph wrestles 174? An unlikely scenario, but if Joseph doesn't stop growing 165 might be out of the cards as well.

Can part of the weight gain be attributed to the need to get to 165 for next year if the plan was/is to keep Nolf at 57 for next year?

As I recall, Joseph twice missed weight at 157 (not 165). If Joseph can't make 165, then his spots in the lineup may be rather limited.

That's my ignorance then. I thought that he had missed 165 for some reason. It doesn't seem like it will be a problem for him to go 165.

How is it
Redshirting is wrestling is a bit different than in other sports. Hall with likely defer a year and then redshirt to pursue freestyle options and work on other aspects of his game to be able to compete internationally
How is it different than in other sports? The eligibility rules are the same in every sport except Tennis and Hockey, as far as I know.

How is it

How is it different than in other sports? The eligibility rules are the same in every sport except Tennis and Hockey, as far as I know.
Eligibility rules aren't different, who redshirts and when is different. In the revenue driving sports, anybody who can play and be an asset from day one does so.

Eligibility rules aren't different, who redshirts and when is different. In the revenue driving sports, anybody who can play and be an asset from day one does so.
Ah. I get it. Still, I would not say that's a revenue issue. All teams now look more directly at freshman for contributions, if it makes sense to do so. In wrestling however, there is often more benefit derived if only from maturing muscle development. There is also an issue of space. Only 10 wrestlers go to the mat. If a guy is superior to the rest at a given weight? More often than not, yes. But the best teams can do more jockeying of that redshirt. PSU for example CAN afford to redshirt a guy like Hall, but in the case of Suriano a redshirt will probably not be in the card....at least in the first year.

So I do think wrestling is a bit different too....I was just curious why you thought so. ;)

Ah. I get it. Still, I would not say that's a revenue issue. All teams now look more directly at freshman for contributions, if it makes sense to do so. In wrestling however, there is often more benefit derived if only from maturing muscle development. There is also an issue of space. Only 10 wrestlers go to the mat. If a guy is superior to the rest at a given weight? More often than not, yes. But the best teams can do more jockeying of that redshirt. PSU for example CAN afford to redshirt a guy like Hall, but in the case of Suriano a redshirt will probably not be in the card....at least in the first year.

So I do think wrestling is a bit different too....I was just curious why you thought so. ;)
I also think that Suriano will not redshirt his freshman year. But neither did Nico or A. Alton. Later, they did. I also think that McIntosh wrestled his first year, but could be wrong.

Suriano's quote was to be a national champ as a true freshman...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT