ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA Nationals Review-Impressions (Long. Again.)

BHF23

Oct 28, 2005
Exciting finals! Now...what exactly no one has been waiting for...my impressions:

For clarity, I'll use a standard of "1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/R12/R16/DNP" to define a "level," and an expectation for unseeded wrestlers of 0.25 expected points, as, on paper, all would lose their first match. Half would win a consolation match (0.5 points), before losing a second consolation match to a 9-16 seeded wrestler dropping down from the winner's bracket.

Penn State-Cael has used the word "consistency," well....consistently...throughout the year. It was certainly on display at MSG. No PSU wrestler finished more than one level below seed. Nico (3 seed/2 finish) and Nolf (3/2, with 6.0 bonus points) beat their seed, and unseededs Gulibon and Morelli exceeded expectations, both knocking off seeded wrestlers in the first round and picking up a win apiece on the backside. Zain matched his #1 seed (with 8.5 bonus points), and the others all finished within one level of their seeds. Third time was a charm for Jordan with Taylor...(as it was also, unfortunately, for Montoya with Jordan). Nolf and McIntosh (4.0 bonus points) both were great throughout the tournament, before dropping finals to multiple NCAA championship winners in the last 15 seconds. Bo was two wrong moves away from a perfect season and a championship. Cutch-tough draw, gave it his all; just hasn't seemed 100% since the Illinois dual meet. Thrilled for Nico and Zain...disappointed for Jason, Bo and Morgan...but what a great season and tournament for all! We'll miss the seniors...great careers, great leadership and really nice guys. Nico did himself a big favor with the win over Gilman at Big Tens, improving his seed at nationals. Championship path became Terao/Gilman, rather than Gilman/Tomasello. Thus, Gilman did much of the heavy lifting in the semis.

Oklahoma State-After Smith (vs. Nolf) and Rogers (vs. Nickal) couldn't pull the upsets in the quarterfinals, the team championship was pretty much determined. Smith fell to a 7th place finish, and Rogers went out in R12. Early loss of #6 Klimara (two and out) also eroded support for the two champions, Heil and Dieringer. They should be really good next year.

Ohio State-Great wins for Snyder and Martin, and Bo Jordan's finish matched his #3 seed. The NaTo upset was a kick in their collective (tan?) butts. #10 DiJulius was a DNP, #6 Jordan went out in R12, and unseededs Ryan and Courts were both two and out. With no entries at 149 and 197, the top-end guys just didn't have enough support for a higher finish. Still...not bad.

Virginia Tech-Sneaky good. No one in the finals, but strong up and down the lineup, notwithstanding the strange two and out for #2 Dance. Epperly came all the way back to 3rd from a first round upset loss, and Chishko (6th), Brascetta (3rd), McFadden (6th), Haught (6th) and Walz (4th) all AA'ed. Zavatsky just missed, with a one-point R12 loss. That's six AA's, without #2 and #5 seeds' making it.

Iowa-They're disappointed, for sure. Three finalists, with no winners...not even a takedown among them in the finals. Stoll's injury hurt badly...probable AA healthy. That alone probably gets them to third place. But Gilman had the great win over Tomasello, Clark put up a great fight against Garrett, and Meyer did some good work on the backside. Brooks was good in a tough and deep weight class, and Burak almost matched his #3 seed. After the Retherford-Sorenson match, I told my wife that TVs were going off all over Iowa: off TV stands, off walls, off balconies....

Made some predictions here before the tournament (probably two or three pages back by now)...time to face the music. Got six champions right: Garrett, Retherford, Dieringer, Dean, Cox and Snyder. Nothing great there. Not too bad on the team predictions:

Actual: 1. Penn State (123.0); 2. OKST (97.5); 3. tOSU (86.0); 4. VT (82.0); 5. Iowa (81.0); 6. Missouri (74.5); 7. Cornell (67.0); 8. Nebraska (58.0)

Predicted: 1. Penn State (120.0); 2. OKST (106.5); 3. tOSU (86.5); 4. Iowa (80.0); 5. (tie) Cornell, NC State (76.5); 7. VT (69.5); 8. Missouri (62.5)

By team:

PSU-The good: All nine wrestlers finished within one level of prediction. The bad: Had Nolf and Bo to win.

OKST-The good: Had #11 seed Collica at 3 (finished 4) and #8 seed Boyd at 4 (finished 4). The bad: Whiffed on Klimara, Joseph Smith (8/3; might not have been 100%) and Heil (1/3), whom I promise never to doubt again.

tOSU-The good: The team score, within 0.5. Not much else. Did have #11 Martin to AA at 6, but not to win. Snyder over Gwiz. Bo Jordan at 3. The bad: Tomasello to win. Finished third. Micah Jordan (R12/6). JDJ (DNP/R12).

Iowa-The good: All nine wrestlers finished within one level of prediction, with 6 of 9 on the money, including #2 seed Brooks (8/8). The bad: Missed Gilman making the finals (2/3), Burak (4/3) and Meyer (8/R12). And the worst of all: failing to foresee a one point deduction assessed against the coaching staff. Who couldn't have seen that coming? That point cost them (I think) a tie for 4th, killing my team picks. Easy, Iowa lurkers...I can enjoy a "hamster dance" joke (not to mention a "Streibler" or "Carl" reference) and still be fair. They appeared to be right (if I understand the argument; didn't have the sound on when I went back and watched it). If they get the pin by Brooks against Abounader, with no ensuing argument, they get 4th place by themselves.

Cornell-The good: Garrett and Dean. The five "DNP" picks...DNP. The bad: #2 Realbuto (DNP/2) losing in first round, injuring knee in the process. #5 Palacio (4/6). Had him losing to Joseph Smith, but he decked the freshman. Pretty much as expected, up and down the line, except for Realbuto.

NC State-The good: Good? What good? Called Gwiz at #2, I guess. The Bad: Wow. Had unseeded Morris in R12 (DNP/R12), #3 Jack to win (R12/1), #2 Gantt at 4 (8/4), #5 Rohskopf at 5 (DNP/5) and #12 Boykin in R12 (DNP/R12). Good and bad: Did have #13 Renda as AA, but not high enough (3/7). As a team, NC State got wedgies and had their lunch money stolen.

Virginia Tech-The good: Next to nothing. Had Epperly, the 8 seed, properly at #3. The bad: Missed low on # 8 seed Brascetta (3/7), #14 McFadden (6/R16) and #6 Haught (6/R12), and high on #2 Dance (4/DNP) and #5 Zavatsky (R12/5). As a prognosticator, I got a wedgie and had my lunch money stolen.

Missouri-The good: Correctly had #2 Cox to win, #4 Lewis at 4, #5 Manley as DNP. The bad: Had #3 Mayes (3/7) and #14 Miklus (6/R12) too low and #3 Butler (R12/5) too high. On balance, underestimated here.

Other good picks: Ummm...not much, I'm afraid. #10 Wilson (NEB) to AA at 165 (7/6), #9 Miller (NAVY) to AA at 184 (5/6) and #9 Kroells (MINN) to AA at 285 (8/8). OK...I'm reaching on that last one.

Other bad picks: The rest. (With special mention to my pick of #8 Henderson (UNC) at both #8 and R12 at 149, apparently confusing him so badly, he lost twice and went home. Meant to pull him out of my top 8 for Cimato, who didn't place, either.)

And finally...for the three people still reading:

Best reason to watch the tournament on TV: The cost. My wife tried to get me to go, but I didn't want to have to sell my one remaining kidney (I sold the other one to get cash for that breast reduction surgery a couple years back. It's no picnic being an old man.) to make it happen. Never been to nationals, but it is now a goal. Just not at $500 a night.

Best reason to go to the tournament in person: Billy Baldwin. Or Quint Kessenich. Can't decide.

Baldwin is...or was...a celebrity, and he supports wrestling. I get...and appreciate...that. And I am truly impressed by his knowledge of wrestling. Truly. Unfortunately, not nearly as impressed as he is. It takes him longer to ask a question than it does for Zain to wrestle most of his matches. And somehow, it's always about him. (Billy, not Zain.) I did manage to enjoy the few snippets of actual wrestling ESPNU televised in the early rounds, squeezed in between the "outstanding stuff" Billy "brought to the party," though ESPN3 (muted) was often the better choice. Particularly offensive was Baldwin's on camera interview with Dan Gable, while Gable, along with the rest of us, would much rather have been watching an Iowa guy (Meyer, I think) wrestle back in the consis yesterday.

Kessenich was obviously present in journalism class the day they taught "How do you best describe (fill in the blank)?" And no other day. I guess it was good, in a way. It's been a long time since I've felt the need to use the word "insipid." Shut up, already. Both of you.

OK...I've decided. Baldwin.

Great finals, though. No one got in the way too much. And the matches were outstanding. It was a fun three days. Congratulations to the team and coaching staff for a great championship season!

(Is it November yet?)

SR/BHF

Last edited:
LMAO. Great insight, and an entertaining writing style. I'm already looking forward to your next wrestling post. Very well done!

I am one of three who read it the whole way through.
I always enjoy learning what others are thinking.
Thank you.

Exciting finals! Now...what exactly no one has been waiting for...my impressions:

For clarity, I'll use a standard of "1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/R12/R16/DNP" to define a "level," and an expectation for unseeded wrestlers of 0.25 expected points, as, on paper, all would lose their first match. Half would win a consolation match (0.5 points), before losing a second consolation match to a 9-16 seeded wrestler dropping down from the winner's bracket.

Penn State-Cael has used the word "consistency," well....consistently...throughout the year. It was certainly on display at MSG. No PSU wrestler finished more than one level below seed. Nico (3 seed/2 finish) and Nolf (3/2, with 6.0 bonus points) beat their seed, and unseededs Gulibon and Morelli exceeded expectations, both knocking off seeded wrestlers in the first round and picking up a win apiece on the backside. Zain matched his #1 seed (with 8.5 bonus points), and the others all finished within one level of their seeds. Third time was a charm for Jordan with Taylor...(as it was also, unfortunately, for Montoya with Jordan). Nolf and McIntosh (4.0 bonus points) both were great throughout the tournament, before dropping finals to multiple NCAA championship winners in the last 15 seconds. Bo was two wrong moves away from a perfect season and a championship. Cutch-tough draw, gave it his all; just hasn't seemed 100% since the Illinois dual meet. Thrilled for Nico and Zain...disappointed for Jason, Bo and Morgan...but what a great season and tournament for all! We'll miss the seniors...great careers, great leadership and really nice guys. Nico did himself a big favor with the win over Gilman at Big Tens, improving his seed at nationals. Championship path became Terao/Gilman, rather than Gilman/Tomasello. Thus, Gilman did much of the heavy lifting in the semis.

Oklahoma State-After Smith (vs. Nolf) and Rogers (vs. Nickal) couldn't pull the upsets in the quarterfinals, the team championship was pretty much determined. Smith fell to a 7th place finish, and Rogers went out in R12. Early loss of #6 Klimara (two and out) also eroded support for the two champions, Heil and Dieringer. They should be really good next year.

Ohio State-Great wins for Snyder and Martin, and Bo Jordan's finish matched his #3 seed. The NaTo upset was a kick in their collective (tan?) butts. #10 DiJulius was a DNP, #6 Jordan went out in R12, and unseededs Ryan and Courts were both two and out. With no entries at 149 and 197, the top-end guys just didn't have enough support for a higher finish. Still...not bad.

Virginia Tech-Sneaky good. No one in the finals, but strong up and down the lineup, notwithstanding the strange two and out for #2 Dance. Epperly came all the way back to 3rd from a first round upset loss, and Chishko (6th), Brascetta (3rd), McFadden (6th), Haught (6th) and Walz (4th) all AA'ed. Zavatsky just missed, with a one-point R12 loss. That's six AA's, without #2 and #5 seeds' making it.

Iowa-They're disappointed, for sure. Three finalists, with no winners...not even a takedown among them in the finals. Stoll's injury hurt badly...probable AA healthy. That alone probably gets them to third place. But Gilman had the great win over Tomasello, Clark put up a great fight against Garrett, and Meyer did some good work on the backside. Brooks was good in a tough and deep weight class, and Burak matched his #3 seed. After the Retherford-Sorenson match, I told my wife that TVs were going off all over Iowa: off TV stands. off walls, off balconies....

Made some predictions here before the tournament (probably two or three pages back by now)...time to face the music. Got six champions right: Garrett, Retherford, Dieringer, Dean, Cox and Snyder. Nothing great there. Not too bad on the team predictions:

Actual: 1. Penn State (123.0); 2. OKST (97.5); 3. tOSU (86.0); 4. VT (82.0); 5. Iowa (81.0); 6. Missouri (74.5); 7. Cornell (67.0); 8. Nebraska (58.0)

Predicted: 1. Penn State (120.0); 2. OKST (106.5); 3. tOSU (86.5); 4. Iowa (80.0); 5. (tie) Cornell, NC State (76.5); 7. VT (69.5); 8. Missouri (62.5)

By team:

PSU-The good: All nine wrestlers finished within one level of prediction. The bad: Had Nolf and Bo to win.

OKST-The good: Had #11 seed Collica at 3 (finished 4) and #8 seed Boyd at 4 (finished 4). The bad: Whiffed on Klimara, Joseph Smith (8/3; might not have been 100%) and Heil (3/1), whom I promise never to doubt again.

tOSU-The good: The team score, within 0.5. Not much else. Did have #11 Martin to AA at 6, but not to win. Snyder over Gwiz. Bo Jordan at 3. The bad: Tomasello to win. Finished third. Micah Jordan (R12/6). JDJ (DNP/R12).

Iowa-The good: All nine wrestlers finished within one level of prediction, with 7 of 9 on the money, including #2 seed Brooks (8/8). The bad: Missed Gilman making the finals (2/3), and Meyer (8/R12). And the worst of all: failing to foresee a one point deduction assessed against the coaching staff. Who couldn't have seen that coming? That point cost them (I think) a tie for 4th, killing my team picks. Easy, Iowa lurkers...I can enjoy a "hamster dance" joke (not to mention a "Striebler" or "Carl" reference) and still be fair. They appeared to be right (if I understand the argument; didn't have the sound on when I went back and watched it). If they get the pin by Brooks against Abounader, with no ensuing argument, they get 4th place by themselves.

Cornell-The good: Garrett and Dean. The five "DNP" picks...DNP. The bad: #2 Realbuto (DNP/2) losing in first round, injuring knee in the process. #5 Palacio (4/6). Had him losing to Joseph Smith, but he decked the freshman. Pretty much as expected, up and down the line, except for Realbuto.

NC State-The good: Good? What good? Called Gwiz at #2, I guess. The Bad: Wow. Had unseeded Morris in R12 (DNP/R12), #3 Jack to win (R12/1), #2 Gantt at 4 (8/4), #5 Rohskopf at 5 (DNP/5) and #12 Boykin in R12 (DNP/R12). Good and bad: Did have #13 Renda as AA, but not high enough (3/7). As a team, NC State got wedgies and had their lunch money stolen.

Virginia Tech-The good: Next to nothing. Had Epperly, the 8 seed, properly at #3. The bad: Missed low on # 8 seed Brascetta (3/7), #14 McFadden (6/R16) and #6 Haught (6/R12), and high on #2 Dance (4/DNP) and #5 Zavatsky (R12/5). As a prognosticator, I got a wedgie and had my lunch money stolen.

Missouri-The good: Correctly had #2 Cox to win, #4 Lewis at 4, #5 Manley as DNP. The bad: Had #3 Mayes (3/7) and #14 Miklus too low (6/R12) too low and #3 Butler (R12/5) too high. On balance, underestimated here.

Other good picks: Ummm...not much, I'm afraid. #10 Wilson (NEB) to AA at 165 (7/6), #9 Miller (NAVY) to AA at 184 (5/6) and #9 Kroells (MINN) to AA at 285 (8/8). OK...I'm reaching on that last one.

Other bad picks: The rest. (With special mention to my pick of #8 Henderson (UNC) at both #8 and R12 at 149, apparently confusing him so badly, he lost twice and went home. Meant to pull him out of my top 8 for Cimato, who didn't place, either.)

Best reason to watch the tournament on TV: The cost. My wife tried to get me to go, but I didn't want to have to sell my one remaining kidney (I sold the other one to get cash for that breast reduction surgery a couple years back. It's no picnic being an old man.) to make it happen. Never been to nationals, but it is now a goal. Just not at $500 a night.

Best reason to go to the tournament in person: Billy Baldwin. Or Quint Kessenich. Can't decide.

Baldwin is...or was...a celebrity, and he supports wrestling. I get...and appreciate...that. And I am truly impressed by his knowledge of wrestling. Truly. Unfortunately, not nearly as impressed as he is. It takes him longer to ask a question than it does for Zain to wrestle most of his matches. And somehow, it's always about him. (Billy, not Zain.) I did manage to enjoy the few snippets of actual wrestling ESPNU televised in the early rounds, squeezed in between the "outstanding stuff" Billy "brought to the party," though ESPN3 (muted) was often the better choice. Particularly offensive was Baldwin's on camera interview with Dan Gable, while Gable, along with the rest of us, would much rather have been watching an Iowa guy (Meyer, I think) wrestle back in the consis yesterday.

Kessenich was obviously present in journalism class the day they taught "How do you best describe (fill in the blank)?" And no other day. I guess it was good, in a way. It's been a long time since I've felt the need to use the word "insipid." Shut up, already. Both of you.

Great finals, though. No one got in the way too much. And the matches were outstanding. It was a fun three days. Congratulations to the team and coaching staff for a great championship season!

(Is it November yet?)

SR/BHF

The complete lack of dynamism for Iowa in the finals versus PSU (even our losses) is telling. You hit the nail on the head regarding Iowa - 3 Finalists and not a single TD between them? Telling if you ask me. Iowa off the "Team Podium" for the first time since the 2006-2007 season also quite telling. Iowa putting enough wrestlers into the tournament and advancing them through early rounds, but their completely "blah" style and lack of dynamic wrestling costs them mightily against top competition (1-8 on the final day in Sessions 5 & 6) - again, telling.

Cael in his PC statements, especially about J-No and Bo says the exact opposite - has no problem with their "go for it", dynamic, high-scoring approach, so what they lost an NCAA Folkstyle match wrestling the "right way" and taking the initiative to win. NCAA Folkstyle is not the "end and be-all", pinnacle of their career - in reality, for these elite guys, it is just the very beginning of their International Competitive careers. If they continue to focus on just becoming the absolute best wrestlers they can be in terms of "true wrestling" skills, they'll be fine and everything will take care of itself. Focusing on doing stupid things or making stupid "tactical" adjustments to their style, making them less dynamic wrestlers.....for the sake of winning a single folkstyle match will only inhibit and damage their wrestling skills long-term. Cael is correct imho, if they just "stick to their own knitting" and focus on the things that will allow them to maximize their unique wrestling talent long-term so that they reach their ultimate potential as a wrestler (which is not NCAA Championships - they're nice, but not the "end-all and be-all of their careers), everything else will take care of itself.

Reactions: pish69
The complete lack of dynamism for Iowa in the finals versus PSU (even our losses) is telling. You hit the nail on the head regarding Iowa - 3 Finalists and not a single TD between them? Telling if you ask me. Iowa off the "Team Podium" for the first time since the 2006-2007 season also quite telling. Iowa putting enough wrestlers into the tournament and advancing them through early rounds, but their completely "blah" style and lack of dynamic wrestling costs them mightily against top competition (1-8 on the final day in Sessions 5 & 6) - again, telling.

I wouldn't knock Iowa quite so much. Gilman and Clark do not have "blah" styles. Gilman got lots of bonus in the NCAA tourney, more than Mega did. Clark is not a bonus point machine, but he is also not ultra-defensive. Of the three, only Sorenson is what I would consider a methodical "grinder/plodder" type of wrestler. That style has served him well; he's just not in Retherford's class.

The top three guys at 125 (Nato, Gilman, Mega) are all just really hard to get TDs against. Same for Garrett at 133. Sometimes you need to give credit to the opponent.

Great posts! You need to move your trip to Nationals up to priority one on the bucket list, however. Here's what you really don't get on TV at home:

A love fest with David Terao. While you may have sensed the entertainment value at home and perhaps with the interview, but there is commonly a weird let down after the blood round and David Terao lit up the crowd at 11am. And the crowd gave it back.

You might have your own anticipation at home, but when Nolf, Nickal, Miller (Navy), Snyder, Garrett, Palacio, Terao and Mayes step on the mat....all heads turn and the collective oohs and ahs begin in unison. Wrestling needs more of what these guys give....and they bring in casual fans.

Hearing what Cornell fans can't hear.....PSU fans taking care of their own....their native PA/NJ/NY HS stars. The Big Red may not like us much, but the cheers for their kids was rather loud and it was helped along by those in Blue and White.

Collective silence when Coon decked Dhesi with a lateral drop. We were sent checking our brackets to see if that really was Adam Coon or some sort of vapor apparition. Unfortunately, the next match he returned to hibernation. We are happy to see Snyder, but losing a HWT athlete like Gwiz....ugh.

And....Nationals is not all bracket time and long seated sessions. It is surrounded by daily tailgating with fans in the bars....lots of them. From planned receptions and gatherings to just finding good places. Everyone wants to talk and laugh and compare "notes". Infiltrating "enemy" parties makes for great conversations and meeting new people. These are looooong days and damn fun. Priceless comraderie.

You gotta go, man.

Great posts! You need to move your trip to Nationals up to priority one on the bucket list, however. Here's what you really don't get on TV at home:

A love fest with David Terao. While you may have sensed the entertainment value at home and perhaps with the interview, but there is commonly a weird let down after the blood round and David Terao lit up the crowd at 11am. And the crowd gave it back.

You might have your own anticipation at home, but when Nolf, Nickal, Miller (Navy), Snyder, Garrett, Palacio, Terao and Mayes step on the mat....all heads turn and the collective oohs and ahs begin in unison. Wrestling needs more of what these guys give....and they bring in casual fans.

Hearing what Cornell fans can't hear.....PSU fans taking care of their own....their native PA/NJ/NY HS stars. The Big Red may not like us much, but the cheers for their kids was rather loud and it was helped along by those in Blue and White.

Collective silence when Coon decked Dhesi with a lateral drop. We were sent checking our brackets to see if that really was Adam Coon or some sort of vapor apparition. Unfortunately, the next match he returned to hibernation. We are happy to see Snyder, but losing a HWT athlete like Gwiz....ugh.

And....Nationals is not all bracket time and long seated sessions. It is surrounded by daily tailgating with fans in the bars....lots of them. From planned receptions and gatherings to just finding good places. Everyone wants to talk and laugh and compare "notes". Infiltrating "enemy" parties makes for great conversations and meeting new people. These are looooong days and damn fun. Priceless comraderie.

You gotta go, man.

All this. Yep!!!

I should have said in sessions 5 and 6 which is what I was responding to. Kudos to you for pointing that out. Either way I don't think that statistic can accurately be summed up to say that Iowa's "blah" style costs them against top quality competition when PSU had a very similar statistic.

Iowa-They're disappointed, for sure. Three finalists, with no winners...not even a takedown among them in the finals. Stoll's injury hurt badly...probable AA healthy. That alone probably gets them to third place. But Gilman had the great win over Tomasello, Clark put up a great fight against Garrett, and Meyer did some good work on the backside. Brooks was good in a tough and deep weight class, and Burak almost matched his #3 seed. After the Retherford-Sorenson match, I told my wife that TVs were going off all over Iowa: off TV stands. off walls, off balconies....

By team:

OKST-The good: Had #11 seed Collica at 3 (finished 4) and #8 seed Boyd at 4 (finished 4). The bad: Whiffed on Klimara, Joseph Smith (8/3; might not have been 100%) and Heil (3/1), whom I promise never to doubt again.

Iowa-The good: All nine wrestlers finished within one level of prediction, with 6 of 9 on the money, including #2 seed Brooks (8/8). The bad: Missed Gilman making the finals (2/3), Burak (4/3) and Meyer (8/R12). And the worst of all: failing to foresee a one point deduction assessed against the coaching staff. Who couldn't have seen that coming? That point cost them (I think) a tie for 4th, killing my team picks. Easy, Iowa lurkers...I can enjoy a "hamster dance" joke (not to mention a "Striebler" or "Carl" reference) and still be fair. They appeared to be right (if I understand the argument; didn't have the sound on when I went back and watched it). If they get the pin by Brooks against Abounader, with no ensuing argument, they get 4th place by themselves.

Missouri-The good: Correctly had #2 Cox to win, #4 Lewis at 4, #5 Manley as DNP. The bad: Had #3 Mayes (3/7) and #14 Miklus (6/R12) too low and #3 Butler (R12/5) too high. On balance, underestimated here.

(Is it November yet?)

SR/BHF
Great post!

Insipid is the perfect word to describe both Baldwin and Kessenick. I watched 95% of the time with the TV sound muted and Ironhead streaming on the computer.

I should have said in sessions 5 and 6 which is what I was responding to. Kudos to you for pointing that out. Either way I don't think that statistic can accurately be summed up to say that Iowa's "blah" style costs them against top quality competition when PSU had a very similar statistic.
Except this presumes the 5th and 7th place matches are equivalent to the national final. They're not.

Not taking a position on Iowa's style, merely pointing out that statistics are meaningless if misapplied.

PSU's record in Sessions 5 & 6 on the last day (morning & evening matches on Saturday) was 9-5. 5-0 in the Champ Bracket Semis, 2-0 in R12 & R8 of Consis, 0-1 in Consi Semis, 2-4 in placement matches. Iowa was 6-9 in Sessions 5 & 6 on last day: 3-1 in Champ Semis, 2-2 in Consi R12 & R8, 1-0 in Consi Semis and 0-6 in placement matches. Only counting R8 and beyond PSU was 8-4 (2-4 in placement match) and Iowa was 4-9 (0-6 in placement matches). How are those records "about the same"?

Not real sure where you guys are getting your numbers from. Session 5 was Saturday morning, Penn State was 0-2, Iowa was 1-3. Session 6 was Saturday night. PSU was 2-3, Iowa 0-3. On the last day (Saturday) PSU was 2-5, Iowa was 1-6.

Not real sure where you guys are getting your numbers from. Session 5 was Saturday morning, Penn State was 0-2, Iowa was 1-3. Session 6 was Saturday night. PSU was 2-3, Iowa 0-3. On the last day (Saturday) PSU was 2-5, Iowa was 1-6.

Yes, my bad. I'm including all action past R12 which would include Session 4. The only non-placement matches held on last day were Consi Semis. You can't exclude R12 wrestling which includes Champ Bracket Semis when doing this analysis. As I posted before, in Champ Bracket Semis PSU was 5-0; Iowa was 3-1. In R12 Consi Bracket action, PSU was 1-0; Iowa 2-0 (this defines how many AAs each team has - e.g., PSU had 6 AAs, 5 Champ Semis participants +1 R12 Consi Round winner; Iowa had 6 AAs as well, 4 Champ Champ Semis participants + 2 R12 Consi Round winners). So here is how it breaks down:

Champ Bracket Semis: PSU 5-0; Iowa 3-1
R12 Consi Round: PSU 1-0; Iowa 2-0
R8 Consi Round: PSU 1-0; Iowa 0-2
Consi Bracket Semis: PSU 0-1; Iowa 1-0
7th/8th Placement Match: Iowa 0-2
5th/6th Placement Match: PSU 0-1
3rd/4th Placement Match ("Consi Bracket Final"): Iowa 0-1
Champ Bracket Final (1st & 2nd): PSU 2-3; Iowa 0-3
Overall Record R12 and in: PSU 9-5; Iowa 6-9
Overall Record R8 and in (e.g., AAs): PSU 8-5; Iowa 4-9

How can you say PSU's AAs going 8-5 from R8 to finals is "roughly the same" as Iowa's AAs going 4-9 from R8 and in??? That's an absurd claim as evidenced by the following breakdown of AA placements:

NCAA Champions: PSU 2; Iowa 0
NCAA Silver Medalist: PSU 3; Iowa 3
NCAA Bronze Medalist: PSU 0; Iowa 0
4th Place: Iowa 1
5th Place: n/a
6th Place: PSU 1
7th Place: n/a
8th Place: Iowa 2
Total AAs: PSU 6 (2 1st, 3 2nd & 1 6th); Iowa 6 (0 1st, 3 2nd, 1 4th & 2 8th)

Moreover, PSU's two Individual Championships tied for most in nation and PSU's 5 Championship Finalists exceeded all other schools in the nation (as did PSU's Team Point Total by 25.5 points to the next closest finisher).

Apologize for the error on timing of Champ Bracket Semis and Consi Bracket R12 & R8 matches, but in past years they have had them in the morning & had some combination of placement matches in morning and evening rounds on last day (including last year if I remember correctly). They did it differently this year and I was more focusing on performance R12 & R8 and in...and kind of lost track of and forgot that they changed the timing this year. It has zero impact on the actual point though, claiming PSU's and Iowa's "performance" R8 and in (e.g., the performance of PSU's AAs versus Iowa's AAs) was "about the same" is an absurd statement as the information layed out above clearly demonstrates.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ankle Pick
Here's a stat..Penn State #1 Iowa #5. Like a football game the losing team can gain more yards and lose the game. In the end Penn State outperformed not only Iowa but everyone else. We can't look at this as are we better than Iowa or is our style better. We need to look at as are we better than everyone else? Therefore Penn State can be at the top of the podium year in and year out (like Iowa used to do). Does our style create fan excitement? Does it attract people to the sport? Does it attract the best high school prospects in the country? Then do they perform well at NCAAA"s?

The answer is yes over the last 6 or 7 years. It doesn't seem like it well change in the next 6 or 7 either.

I used to go Rec Hall as a student early 90's and it was a great atmosphere. Then the Sunderland years happened and I could fall asleep in Rec Hall. Now you can't get tickets, that's a great stat.

Consi bracket R12 and R8 have been in Session 4 every year that I can remember. I'm not real sure what you're talking about that it was different than last year, the schedule of events has been the exact same. At any rate just pointing out the last day results, nothing more. Penn State is far and away better and showed that throughout the tournament. I was responding more to the idea that Iowa's style is responsible for their lack of success against top quality competition. It's more of a talent issue than a style issue.

Rule 72 of effective trolling: Practice catch and release.

Consi bracket R12 and R8 have been in Session 4 every year that I can remember. I'm not real sure what you're talking about that it was different than last year, the schedule of events has been the exact same. At any rate just pointing out the last day results, nothing more. Penn State is far and away better and showed that throughout the tournament. I was responding more to the idea that Iowa's style is responsible for their lack of success against top quality competition. It's more of a talent issue than a style issue.

Guess I'm confusing with B1G schedule then - my bad, but the point remains the same...the "performance" of PSU's AAs is not remotely similar or "about the same" as the "performance" of Iowa's AAs! The performance of PSU's AAs is WAY BETTER than the performance of Iowa's AAs!

Wow, finally got my desktop working. The future is getting alot brighter for collegiate wrestling. Cudos to MSG and ESPN for their contributions(could do without the interviews with dake and yes even DT during ongoing matches).Now if it were Caldwells mom... IMO MSG should be the home of Wrestling Nationals every year i.e. Omaha and college baseball. EVERY young man interviewed shared the WOW i'm wrestling at MSG storyline. On to the guys
Nico- it was fitting that he used the game plan that he has been fighting against all his career to get what he so richly deserved. Wish you well.

Jordon-anyone who says he didn't give 100 percent for the team has to have their head examined eh why bother. Wish you well.

Jimmy G-Great, great effort- looking forward to next year.

Zain- Outstanding in every way.

Jason- to me he seems like a matt brown and ed ruth clone. When he wrestles Imar next he needs to take top and ride him until he quits and yes he will. Nothing to be ashamed of Jason you are a breath of fresh air in collegiate wrestling. LFTNY

Geno- something tells me you will be battling for the spot next year and will win it. LFTNY

Bo-muscle building this off season. Scary good next year. Hold your head up high. Everything happens for a reason.

Matt- my favorite wrestler. Enough said

Big Mac- thought you were going to punch Jayden there at the end. Pure heart of a lion. Thanks for everything.

As I wipe away tears I would like to thank all the wrestlers, coaching staff and those behind the scenes for all the work(although you probably don't consider it that) that went into all things WE ARE this year.

Finally I would like to thank Tom and support staff for BWI. Love FOS and even HR. They call it rivals for a reason. BTW, some on here need to lighten up.. just kidding, NOT.

Now what am I going to do for 7 months.

Last edited:

Sorry, but don't agree - Sorenson and Burak have two of the boringest, "blah", un-dynamic, hard to watch, rather watch paint dry..."styles" in all of "top level" (read: AA caliber) NCAA Folkstyle wrestling. And they are without question among Iowa's 2 best wrestlers. They define what I mean by a "blah" style. Iowa's 3 finalists recorded 0 TDs - that would be 2 less than Mega by himself....you know, the guy HR likes to accuse of stalling all the time, LMFAO!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT