ADVERTISEMENT

Recruits postseason is underway

How does an undefeated Bassett get seeded #4?
Stupid PIAA seeding rules. 50% of the seeding comes from your placement in last year's PIAA postseason. (The other 50% is Win %.)

The entire McCort team was ineligible for the 2023 postseason --> every McCort regional champ got zero "prestige points."

BTW, this also caught undefeated 189 AA Garrett Garcia. Garcia got the 4 seed because he was injured **last year**.

It also gives artificially low seeds to every freshman regional champ.

It's stupid on stilts, and yet somehow an improvement over the previous system where the entire bracket was pre-drawn (which gave us the infamous Pletcher-Sasso quarterfinal).

EDIT: this also caught Brock Weiss this year -- he's 30-0, NW regional champ, and beat a returning champ (Perry) at regionals. But he's the 4 seed at states because he missed weight ** last year **, and his state finals appearance in 2022 doesn't count because it wasn't last year.

Last edited:
Stupid PIAA seeding rules. 50% of the seeding comes from your placement in last year's PIAA postseason. (The other 50% is Win %.)

The entire McCort team was ineligible for the 2023 postseason --> every McCort regional champ got zero "prestige points."

BTW, this also caught undefeated 189 AA Garrett Garcia. Garcia got the 4 seed because he was injured **last year**.

It also gives artificially low seeds to every freshman regional champ.

It's stupid on stilts, and yet somehow an improvement over the previous system where the entire bracket was pre-drawn (which gave us the infamous Pletcher-Sasso quarterfinal).
Wow, thanks for the explanation, that is messed up.

I guess common sense isn’t so common..

Wow, thanks for the explanation, that is messed up.

I guess common sense isn’t so common..
Seeding of regional champs is a fairly new phenomenon. IIRC it was driven by that Pletcher-Sasso match in which they were the clear favorites and both were regional champs -- the coaches and fans finally had enough.

Before that, fully pre-drawn brackets were the norm for many decades. Supposedly the reason for that was to keep teams from gaming the system -- translated, there must have been some wrestlers who tanked at regionals (after qualifying) in order to get easier draws at states.

So like everything with PIAA: awful rules are put in place because people cheat. Inertia sets in. Then finally the rules are replaced with something marginally less awful, but awful nonetheless. Inertia sets in again.

How many PIAA seeding systems are out there?
WCvCEU5.gif

We are’ the best wrestling state in the country but have some of the worst rules and PIAA bylaws. I am not a fan of NJ people but their state championships, seeding and way they do things seems to be really good. They seem to adapt with the times and make changes where needed. Pa says this is the way we have always done it. Why use common sense when you can use this criteria sheet a bunch old guys around the PIAA poker table made up.
Common sense would be to seed based on more than current record and last year. Some teams wrestle out side their county and some don’t. Do go off of records is hard. Some of the schools wrestle escape the rock, Powerade and beast. While others wrestle all cake walks.

Let’s Willie smalls or Jeff Upson look at the regional champs, they could seed it in a few minutes. Why not just do the right thing.

We are’ the best wrestling state in the country but have some of the worst rules and PIAA bylaws. I am not a fan of NJ people but their state championships, seeding and way they do things seems to be really good. They seem to adapt with the times and make changes where needed. Pa says this is the way we have always done it. Why use common sense when you can use this criteria sheet a bunch old guys around the PIAA poker table made up.
Common sense would be to seed based on more than current record and last year. Some teams wrestle out side their county and some don’t. Do go off of records is hard. Some of the schools wrestle escape the rock, Powerade and beast. While others wrestle all cake walks.

Let’s Willie smalls or Jeff Upson look at the regional champs, they could seed it in a few minutes. Why not just do the right thing.
Which of the PaPower guys is an Iowa fan? Talk about annoying - having to listen to that on their Pa centric podcasts.

I missed one guy -- football commit Caleb Brewer (SR, SE-3, 39-6).

Brewer got an extremely favorable draw and has an excellent chance of medaling. His first 2 opponents both have double digit losses -- if he wins both, he's into the semis. If he loses one of them for some reason, there is only 1 guy in his consis path who might give him trouble before he makes the podium.
Is this the kid from Wyomissing? So glad to see he made states, especially with a good draw. I think he is football only, though, right? He played in a line with J'ven Williams that made the state finals twice in football.

Nice write up on PSU recruit Brock Weiss from Jersey Shore.

Reactions: therod and danoftw
May sound silly having watching him most demolish a kid in a regional final but Gibson is really gonna have to find a go to leg attack when he gets on campus.

Reactions: goldenanimal
May sound silly having watching him most demolish a kid in a regional final but Gibson is really gonna have to find a go to leg attack when he gets on campus.
That was an awful lot of throw-bys and shrugs and the like. Less Young Guns, more M2 please.

At one point in the 3rd, Kazalas caught onto it and tried to headlock him on one. Low probability, but the kind of move guys will try if you become too predictable.

The other thing was: Gibson needs to finish cleaner. On both of his shots, Kazalas caught his legs and forced a stalemate (though Gibson did score on one). This is going to be an issue for Gibson because of his height. If he doesn't finish cleanly, opponents are going to get to his legs. He'll get fewer takedowns and fewer easy NF points.

That was an awful lot of throw-bys and shrugs and the like. Less Young Guns, more M2 please.

At one point in the 3rd, Kazalas caught onto it and tried to headlock him on one. Low probability, but the kind of move guys will try if you become too predictable.

The other thing was: Gibson needs to finish cleaner. On both of his shots, Kazalas caught his legs and forced a stalemate (though Gibson did score on one). This is going to be an issue for Gibson because of his height. If he doesn't finish cleanly, opponents are going to get to his legs. He'll get fewer takedowns and fewer easy NF points.
Yup. Gonna have similar problems that Bouzakis has had if his offense is just snap down-go behind.

This board cracks me up and is too addictive. I only allow myself to use it around NCAA time, or I’d never get anything done. 😀
What up, dog.

To catch you up, I predicted the exact future years ago and it came true on here. Some people called me Nostradamus, not a big deal.

Knew you'd be back and glad to have you.

I am shocked to see the number of matches these high school kids are wrestling in a season. How do these numbers compare to what’s happening in other states?
Private schools in our area always tended to wrestle more tournaments. Not sure why. Maybe they did more fund raising to stay overnight at some locations.
When Pius X was still going they wrestled a lot tournaments because they were not affiliated with a league.

Paywalled article, but his picks for PSU guys:
Gibson 3
Perry 2 (vs Shaw in the finals)
Weiss 4 (vs Mack in the consi finals)
Watson outside top 6
Cunningham 1
Brewer outside top 6, but listed as a wild card

Also picks Forrest and Bassett to both win their weights.

Interestingly, he picks Austin Johnson to deny Rune Lawrence a 4th state title.

I know this sounds late to the party but I was watching round of 16 Pa state matches and caught Jax Forrest's match. The kid is an original the way MM is original. He wrestles the way elite gamers play video games all gas no breaks. I feel huge things happening for this kid if he wrestles for the good guys.

I know this sounds late to the party but I was watching round of 16 Pa state matches and caught Jax Forrest's match. The kid is an original the way MM is original. He wrestles the way elite gamers play video games all gas no breaks. I feel huge things happening for this kid if he wrestles for the good guys.
No inside knowledge but from what I’ve seen I wouldn’t bet on him staying is PA.

AA quarters:
- 133 Gibson dec 9-5. Next vs Harer. Harer beat him 3-1 this year.
------
- 127 Forrest F Rush 1:55, was up 13-4. Next vs Fanella. Forrest teched him at regionals.
- 139 Bassett F Rueberger 0:43, was up 4-1. Next vs Bell. Also of note: returning champ Hornack lost in the quarters, so no rematch in the finals.

Consis R2:
- 152 Watson MD Brown 14-1.
- 285 Brewer LBF Morehart 1:52, was tied 2-2.

R12:
- 152 Watson dec Summers 7-3. Next vs Collins. They have never met. Collins is a slight favorite.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT