ADVERTISEMENT

Overnight RV Parking- prices getting ridiculous

PSU95alum

Jul 27, 2006
If I pull my camper into the overnight lots Friday morning after 8:00am, they are now charging me $120 to park the camper and another $60 to park my truck in a nearby field. If I want to come in 12 hours earlier on Thursday night? Add another $120 for the camper parking. Last year the price was $60 for coming in on Friday morning and $120 for coming in Thursday night. Parking the truck in a nearby field last year was $30 (I think).

2014 RV trailer cost for weekend, either $150 for Thursday arrival or $90 for Friday arrival
2015 RV trailer cost for weekend, either $300 for Thursday arrival or $180 for Friday arrival.

Where is the justification for doubling the price? Thats a hefty increase, no? Guess how many games I'll be coming to with my camper this year? Most likely, zero. Price, coupled with the fact that I can't even go over to the IM Building or Rec Hall to take a quick shower anymore, pretty much makes the PSU overnight RV experience something that I'll be doing much less of in the future.

Agree, this is getting too expensive. Any chance we get an Assistant Associate Administrative Athletic Director to look into the need for these price hikes?

Agree, this is getting too expensive. Any chance we get an Assistant Associate Administrative Athletic Director to look into the need for these price hikes?
I think "the Babour" already hired one if those and the parking increases are necessary to pay her salary.

Welcome to the "new age" of PSU football.

Reactions: JoeDidntKnow
If I pull my camper into the overnight lots Friday morning after 8:00am, they are now charging me $120 to park the camper and another $60 to park my truck in a nearby field. If I want to come in 12 hours earlier on Thursday night? Add another $120 for the camper parking. Last year the price was $60 for coming in on Friday morning and $120 for coming in Thursday night. Parking the truck in a nearby field last year was $30 (I think).

2014 RV trailer cost for weekend, either $150 for Thursday arrival or $90 for Friday arrival
2015 RV trailer cost for weekend, either $300 for Thursday arrival or $180 for Friday arrival.

Where is the justification for doubling the price? Thats a hefty increase, no? Guess how many games I'll be coming to with my camper this year? Most likely, zero. Price, coupled with the fact that I can't even go over to the IM Building or Rec Hall to take a quick shower anymore, pretty much makes the PSU overnight RV experience something that I'll be doing much less of in the future.

It seems they are trying to cut down on the number of RV's that come in while still making more money -

My opinion the $60 per night was too low and probably the best deal around but not sure doubling the price was needed - At the same time between the cost of tickets, the motor home, the fuel, food, big screen tv's satellite dishes and many other very elaborate setups, the $120 isn't that much of an expense compared to everything else needed to come in for the weekend. Most (but not all) will not even blink at the additional $60 bucks when they compare it to what their entire costs are for the weekend

My biggest problem with the overnight lot for years has been the entitlement attitude many of regulars have - they pay off the parking attendants to get the exact same spots no matter when they show up, many take multiple spots again paying off the parking attendants to look the other way.

If PSU Athletics were smart they would charge $300 for the big games like ohio state and keep games like buffalo the same price of $60 to give everyone reasonable opportunity to come in for a game

PSU is really trying hard to ruin what was traditionally a major family event for many of those who attended and camped in their cow pasture. For every person going to the game, there were probably just as many who just camped and watched TV. They are continuing to change the experience that we all grew up cherishing. It is quickly becoming an event that many will not want to go to. I spend about $500 every weekend just to get my RV to the game and home. I'll be going less often than previous. By the way, at this rate it will take another 200 years to get to another 409 wins.

Look at this another way: do you want to shell out that kind of money per week to see a home schedule with the likes of Buffalo, San Diego State, Army, Illinois (who has fired their coach already) and traditional powerhouse Indiana? I comprehend acts of loyalty to your favorite team, but how far do you want to go paying first rate money to see second rate attractions? It's like shelling out several thousand dollars to go to Disneyworld and getting there and finding only carnival rides. I don't know who was responsible for this years home schedule, but I know the ticket office is having a lot of problems because of it. My son, who picked up our tickets from my father in law who had them from sometime back in the 60's or early70's refused to renew them this year because of that outstanding schedule. He could not justify shelling out ticket and PSL money for a whole season just to see Michigan in November. Loyalty and average persons pocketbook can only go so far. More power and envy to the people with deep resources who can afford this week after week, but IMO the little guy, the true fan, is left behind eating dust.

Reactions: psu00
Look at this another way: do you want to shell out that kind of money per week to see a home schedule with the likes of Buffalo, San Diego State, Army, Illinois (who has fired their coach already) and traditional powerhouse Indiana? I comprehend acts of loyalty to your favorite team, but how far do you want to go paying first rate money to see second rate attractions? It's like shelling out several thousand dollars to go to Disneyworld and getting there and finding only carnival rides. I don't know who was responsible for this years home schedule, but I know the ticket office is having a lot of problems because of it. My son, who picked up our tickets from my father in law who had them from sometime back in the 60's or early70's refused to renew them this year because of that outstanding schedule. He could not justify shelling out ticket and PSL money for a whole season just to see Michigan in November. Loyalty and average persons pocketbook can only go so far. More power and envy to the people with deep resources who can afford this week after week, but IMO the little guy, the true fan, is left behind eating dust.

And its going to get a lot worse if they continue to put that type of display on the field.
Most of this fan base has gone through the "Dark Years", The Sandusky Scandal, 3 Head coaches. I think the branch we (I) am sitting on is getting ready to break.

Reactions: psu00

When I first learned of the increase back in the spring I was also a bit upset. After having it set in I'm now okay with it IF it stems the tide of RV's showing up on Friday nights. The past few years if you haven't gotten there early on Friday it was a nightmare getting into the lot and getting a space. I'm still jaded by waiting over five hours to park a couple years ago when playing Michigan. We arrived on park avenue around 11pm, and didn't part until about 4 am Sat morning.

For a university having some attendance issues and trying to increase attendance- they sure are doing their best to chase away customers (whether STEP, increased parking fees, increased RV fees, increased ticket prices, in the wake of the Sandusky mess and pathetic university response during/ after including giving the finger to alumni by BOT moves etc- all while bringing in Buffalo, San Diego St etc).

Penn State UNDERCHARGED for donations, tickets, parking, RV parking for years. Like 50 years.
The prices PSU is charging now are not abnormal at all.
A lot of PSU fans are so spoiled by the past. Time to start living in reality.

Reactions: Nittany Ziggy
Penn State UNDERCHARGED for donations, tickets, parking, RV parking for years. Like 50 years.
The prices PSU is charging now are not abnormal at all.
A lot of PSU fans are so spoiled by the past. Time to start living in reality.

Oh please. The empty seats say otherwise. $100 to get a Rutgers game ticket- what a bargain!!! :(

Well, as it is with anything in life you have one of two options...you can endure it and pay or you can hit them where it hurts and not give them a penny. Disney raised their prices way too high and their pricing model is nothing what Walt envisioned, so now a park ticket gets you in the door only to get nickle-and-dimed even further once you step foot in the park. So, i don't go anymore. And whenever i hear a co-worker complain about their boss or their job, i give him/her the ol 'one of two options speech' and that pretty much shuts off that spigot.

If enough people do not find value in paying for gas to get their RV to a place located in the middle of nowhere, then pay $300 once you arrive, and there is no one left to charge, then the university will change their tune and stop overpricing their alumni.

The fact is the RV overnight lot has been getting busier and busier every year including getting well over 1000 rv's for many weekends - If you walk around the entire lot and see the rigs, all the different elaborate setups people do for the weekend you would no doubt get the impression that that no one was going to give a damn about paying another $60 for parking -

The additional cost will definitely cut down on the number of RV's that come in Thursday night (maybe that is what PSU is trying to do) but I don't think it will dramatically decrease the overall number of RV's for the weekend

PSU will be able to increase revenue with less hassle - don't all businesses try to do the same -

The fact is the RV overnight lot has been getting busier and busier every year including getting well over 1000 rv's for many weekends - If you walk around the entire lot and see the rigs, all the different elaborate setups people do for the weekend you would no doubt get the impression that that no one was going to give a damn about paying another $60 for parking -

The additional cost will definitely cut down on the number of RV's that come in Thursday night (maybe that is what PSU is trying to do) but I don't think it will dramatically decrease the overall number of RV's for the weekend

PSU will be able to increase revenue with less hassle - don't all businesses try to do the same -
Yes, they do

And I think you are right, the lots will still likely be more or less full

But eventually - if you believe in all the Economics stuff :) - some portion of the demographic will come to the conclusion that ever increasing costs - particularly when the money is being spent on skyrocketing, ineffectual overhead (Sandy Barbour's Empire, among others) - just isn't worth it.
Take a look around the stadium on the next few Saturdays. It doesn't look like it did 10, 20, 30 years ago anymore. That time has come.....and its likely to get a whole lot worse.

Yes, they do

But eventually - if you believe in all the Economics stuff :) - some portion of the demographic will come to the conclusion that ever increasing costs - particularly when the money is being spent on skyrocketing, ineffectual overhead (Sandy Barbour's Empire, among others) - just isn't worth it.
Take a look around the stadium on the next few Saturdays. It doesn't look like it did 10, 20, 30 years ago anymore. That time has come.....and its likely to get a whole lot worse.

I am going to the San Diego St game and I'm very curious to see what the crowd is like. The 3rd of five straight home games. I know several season ticket holders who are not going to this one as they need that break in the schedule.

Great post, and your last sentence is exactly why i have an issue with all of this. PSU is not a business. It is a tax exempt educational organization where approx. 80% of ticket revenue is tax deferred. By default, these type of entities are not built to maximize revenue/margin at levels that mimic hedge funds (which they most certainly do post 2012) and is the reason why congress is beginning to get involved (verrrrry sloooooowwwwly).

How much is enough, enough? What is the price point that enables a university to effectively educate their student population and still maintain the latest in technology to make sure curriculum is relevant? Anything further than that price point should be considered excessive and taxable. These institutions seem more like a business now adays charging over $30k for tuition, absurd amount for sporting events all the while collecting donations that reside in a trust over $1 billion. I mean my lord.

Want tuition to go down, have congress threaten to take away the tax exempt status and that model changes overnight.

Yes, they do

Take a look around the stadium on the next few Saturdays. That time has come.....and its likely to get a whole lot worse.

I was trying to hide from you over here .....

The prices aren't so "out of wack" that if PSU puts a winning product on the field "they" will come.....

at least for this year diesel is almost half what it was 5 years ago (well in every other state beside PA) so the $60 will be saved by most just in fuel - For me the 3 mi drive won't make much difference. With 7mpg i get I will save around $1.50 getting their

BTW most Big Tens schools don't even have RV overnight parking on campus - Game day RV parking at The Ohio State University is upwards around $500 - but as you know the OSU fair grounds work out well to

I was trying to hide from you over here .....

The prices aren't so "out of wack" that if PSU puts a winning product on the field "they" will come.....

at least for this year diesel is almost half what it was 5 years ago (well in every other state beside PA) so the $60 will be saved by most just in fuel - For me the 3 mi drive won't make much difference. With 7mpg i get I will save around $1.50 getting their

BTW most Big Tens schools don't even have RV overnight parking on campus - Game day RV parking at The Ohio State University is upwards around $500 - but as you know the OSU fair grounds work out well to
LOL.

You've never hidden from ANYBODY!!!!

I am going to the San Diego St game and I'm very curious to see what the crowd is like. The 3rd of five straight home games. I know several season ticket holders who are not going to this one as they need that break in the schedule.

I think if the numbers are down it will be more to do with the home schedule and getting crushed by temple - at the same time if the weather is good a lot of people with RV's come in and have no intention of going into the game - The PSU overnight RV lot atmosphere for the weekend and watching the game on an HD TV from out there is a great time

I saw a ticket with a face value of $150 for rutgers. What a joke!

I gave up my season tickets about 4 years ago so I'm not up on the exact ticket prices (haven't been to a PSU game since). $150 a ticket for Rutgers is beyond ridiculous. Isn't that just making Penn State football a family friendly experience? $600 (or so) for a family of 4 to go see Rutgers? God forbid you have a bigger family (would cost mine $1050 to get tickets for the game at that price through PSU). And they wonder why they have thousands of empty seats??

Park in walmart on Friday, get your parking pass in advance for $ 60 drive in gameday morning and have fun.. really not bad deal.

anyone else hearing PSU athletics has stopped selling RV overnight passes for Rutgers -

Justification? If the market will bear these numbers then that is what will be charged.

I am a short timer in the lot with this being our 14th year. Go to every game with the exception of the last two years we auctioned off tickets at a fundraiser. The price hike was a bitter pill to swallow at first, but i will take it to see how things go. My thoughts:
1. The lot has been getting more use over the years. The trash removal process is a thing of excellence. I can not ever recall seeing a can on the field the following weekend.
2 if they raise the price and cut out 2% of the people xoming due to price, the margins are ridiculous. Its a no loose proposition.
2.5. I think it is BS for PSU to let those camper "rental services" into the general lot. They are a Hotel on Grass. And they get the majority of the early bird level areas.
3. Regulars will want the price tripled after the RU game.
4. The college kids renting a RV to see thier teamplay PSU are a problem with underage drinking to excess. Maybe (i doubt) the price hike will deter those kids from coming. I was next to a temple rental rv and the ambulance came twice about 9 hours aprt to cart kids to the hospital.
5. Its a great time and while my family will be lighter in the wallett, it will be a good time.
6. I am trying to optimistic because we all know they will never lower the price.
7. I wish they would allow us to park on the more level North area that seems to only serve the greasy palms and over flow from big games. I am willing to walk another 100yards for a level spot.

I'm not paying $200 in gas to get to M&T bank. Also, the target market is much different. Not a fair comparison.
So they should charge based on mileage from stadium? if State College is much closer then Baltimore for me should I say they should charge less then Penn State?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT