ADVERTISEMENT

P5 Offers by school

Agoodnap

Sep 27, 2015
What a range. Tennessee with a high of 440 and Stanford with the low of 74 with an average of 232. I originally thought that the more desirable a school is from a football and/or from an academic standpoint the fewer the number of offers, but this is not always the case.

Other notables:
Alabama 285
Virginia 284
Georgia 281
Vanderbilt 279
Notre Dame 198
Penn State 193

And that's about as reliable of a list as asking a little kid to guess in one of those "how many jelly beans in a jar" contests.

Reactions: stormingnorm
Since the schools are prohibited from discussing potential signees, who gets to decide if there is really an offer? 400+ offers sounds crazy. Maybe those schools send out recruiting literature which says something like, "We'd love for you to come and play for XYZ University!!" It's not really an offer but it's easy to see how a kid could perceive it as one.

The only offer worth a lick is a written offer, and even that doesn't mean you'll be sent an LOI to sign.

Reactions: katchthis
The only offer worth a lick is a written offer, and even that doesn't mean you'll be sent an LOI to sign.
So, I guess you may be ok with the subject being "number of times a school leads a recruit to believe they have an offer"? Either way, the numbers are interesting.
Syracuse with 437. I never would have guessed them to be in second place.
Texas with only 137. I would have thought they would be much higher.
Iowa with 131. Maybe Ferentz needs to get out a little more often?

Pitt with 291.

hope-is-not-a-strategy.jpg

Pitt high on this list despite “recruiting character and not stars”.
Whenever we sign a 4 or 5 star dandy it is fun to see that the pitters have given every single one of them an offer. Of course, the player hasn't given pitt a sniff. Narduzzi apparently gives an offer to anyone with a breath, hoping to score a few. In the end all he gets are MAC-level rejects.

Reactions: PSUoh90
I sort of dislike the use of this word "commitable" but I don't think Bama made more than 20-30 "commitable" offers... PSU maybe 30??? That's the important number IMHO.

Since the schools are prohibited from discussing potential signees, who gets to decide if there is really an offer? 400+ offers sounds crazy. Maybe those schools send out recruiting literature which says something like, "We'd love for you to come and play for XYZ University!!" It's not really an offer but it's easy to see how a kid could perceive it as one.

Exactly. Kids claim offers from Alabama, Penn State, Georgia, Texas, Ohio State, etc all the time but they couldn't commit there if they wanted to.

Anyone notice how any recruiting analysis by school shows Michigan as an outlier on the right side of the bell curves where other football factories reside? It is becoming clear to me that Michigan actually plays the SEC games more than anyone else in the B1G. Surprisingly, OSU is pretty similar to PSU in many metrics.

I sort of dislike the use of this word "commitable" but I don't think Bama made more than 20-30 "commitable" offers... PSU maybe 30??? That's the important number IMHO.

It's a very good point. There is no legal or official definition of "offer" -- and each school (each recruit as well) has a different definition.

High school kids will take the most expansive definition because they love to say they were "offered" by 30 schools.

In many cases "offer" is a long way from a literal scholarship offer -- it means "we like you, let's talk." A lot, maybe most of the kids who say they had an "Alabama offer" would not actually have gotten a scholarship to Alabama.

It's a very good point. There is no legal or official definition of "offer" -- and each school (each recruit as well) has a different definition.

High school kids will take the most expansive definition because they love to say they were "offered" by 30 schools.

In many cases "offer" is a long way from a literal scholarship offer -- it means "we like you, let's talk." A lot, maybe most of the kids who say they had an "Alabama offer" would not actually have gotten a scholarship to Alabama.
This is the case with every school that makes more than 25 offers in any year. However, if a school wants to recruit a HS player they have to make each player believe an offer is on the table.

Anyone notice how any recruiting analysis by school shows Michigan as an outlier on the right side of the bell curves where other football factories reside? It is becoming clear to me that Michigan actually plays the SEC games more than anyone else in the B1G. Surprisingly, OSU is pretty similar to PSU in many metrics.

I do think Michigan is a little more scattershot and a little more national in its recruiting approach because it doesn't have huge home base like Pa. or Ohio State. They have to offer and recruit tons of kids to end up with their highly rated classes.

But it's interesting how Michigan teams almost always underperform their recruiting rankings. And this has been true for decades. Michigan recruits 4 and 5 stars but they perform slightly better than a 3 star program.

Maybe that is because they don't have a natural base so they don't have the kind of deep multi-year relationships with kids like Penn State and Ohio State do. It's very hard to assess kids for leadership ability when you're only seeing them a few times at recruiting camps.

Reactions: 81b&w and fkkkjm
What a range. Tennessee with a high of 440 and Stanford with the low of 74 with an average of 232. I originally thought that the more desirable a school is from a football and/or from an academic standpoint the fewer the number of offers, but this is not always the case.

Other notables:
Alabama 285
Virginia 284
Georgia 281
Vanderbilt 279
Notre Dame 198
Penn State 193

Makes our class so far even more impressive IMO.

It would make sense for the lower tier schools to send out the most offers. They probably offer the 4 and 5 star kids because you never know. Then they also offer all the recruits who are a more realistic get. I agree that many of the “offers” recruits claim from top schools are more hope than reality

I do think Michigan is a little more scattershot and a little more national in its recruiting approach because it doesn't have huge home base like Pa. or Ohio State. They have to offer and recruit tons of kids to end up with their highly rated classes.

But it's interesting how Michigan teams almost always underperform their recruiting rankings. And this has been true for decades. Michigan recruits 4 and 5 stars but they perform slightly better than a 3 star program.

Maybe that is because they don't have a natural base so they don't have the kind of deep multi-year relationships with kids like Penn State and Ohio State do. It's very hard to assess kids for leadership ability when you're only seeing them a few times at recruiting camps.

Good point. What’s also interesting is the high transfer and wash out rates coupled with the bizarre messages some of their blue chips send on the way out. It’s very strange.

Reactions: stormingnorm
Not sure this list tell us anything. I get Stanford being low for obvious academic reasons. But see no issue with TN having 400 offers. You have to get kids and no kid is going to come if you don't offer. Why not cast a wide net.

It would make sense for the lower tier schools to send out the most offers. They probably offer the 4 and 5 star kids because you never know. Then they also offer all the recruits who are a more realistic get. I agree that many of the “offers” recruits claim from top schools are more hope than reality
Good explanation for why pitt gives an above average number of offers. They offer every 4 and 5 star kid but never get any of them. You can't blame pitt. Why not make the offer? Maybe they will find one who likes to play in a stadium without fans or go to a school without a campus. pitt also offers plenty of 2 and 3 star kids. These are the ones they get.

Last edited:

the real question is how verbal commits are handled. so what happens if Bama gets 25 (or a full class) of verbal commits by September? do they stop taking verbals, and then expect those players will fax in their LOIs in December signing period? how that process in managed seem messy. some of the most elite players are still unsigned and waiting for Feb date.

Is this the first year that you have ever become aware of this whole "College Football Recruiting" process?

Asking for a friend.

:D

Unless someone on this forum has been on a CFB coaching staff, not sure ANYONE including you would know how it works. Looks like a player can get hold of a blank LOI from the web, and just complete it and FAX it in.

Exactly. Kids claim offers from Alabama, Penn State, Georgia, Texas, Ohio State, etc all the time but they couldn't commit there if they wanted to.
Wasn't it great when Tate Forcier put all his hand written offers on the internet.I lot of the coaches asked him to take them down.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT